The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

USA Politics/Election Thread: California Gov. Newsom Defeats Recall Referendum

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Maybe, because we can't trust both men and women to make a good decision, we should let the baby decide?

My sons have said things to me in conversation that I would have never considered. I truly believe in the wisdom and uncluttered vision of children, Alf.

• Upvote 1
10 hours ago, Mattrek said:

Very smart of her. I wouldn’t want to have my husband in jail while raising children.

a quickie uncontested divorce also a very good way to preserve the family home and at least 1/2 of their wealth should the sh!t hit the fan for Don Jr in the Mueller investigation. Even if/when daddy pardons Jr. the government could still go after him for fines. This is all about wealth preservation imo. 

• Upvote 2
3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Never said you did. That's why I asked the question. And yes, humans are flawed decision makers.

It was obvious, but the statement could have been misconstrued had one chosen to read it that way.

Ahhh, so you were just clarifying... it did feel like you were trying misrepresent my argument, glad that wasn't the case and agree on some things

39 minutes ago, Hypocritical Cranium said:

So if the law changes, then you would agree?

I don't know why my agreement is relevant. I would abide by the law in any event, but as a 57 year old male, I don't see how I would ever have to make such a decision. I'm certainly not comfortable doing so for women in general. 

30 minutes ago, Dral said:

Tell me you read the entire sentence and not just the first 6 words...

I did, but nothing you said changes the fact that as it stands now, abortion is legal and walking into a school and killing students is not. As @Canorth (quite correctly) pointed out, any attempt to equate the two scenarios is misguided.

FWIW, I wish all unwanted pregnancies were carried to term and followed by adoption, but I don't think so highly of my own opinion that I could be the arbiter for half of the population. Hence, I defer to the courts.

• Upvote 2
Just now, Alflives said:

Maybe we should just develop a mechanism by which eggs are fertilized, incubated, and developed inside a machine?  Then no women would need to be burdened with the horror of carrying a child.  Heck, why not remove the parents from the entire equation?  Have machines that raise the babies until they are mature enough to go to state run schools.  

Skynet?

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Maybe we should just develop a mechanism by which eggs are fertilized, incubated, and developed inside a machine?  Then no women would need to be burdened with the horror of carrying a child.  Heck, why not remove the parents from the entire equation?  Have machines that raise the babies until they are mature enough to go to state run schools.  

I've seen this movie...

wait... here it is

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, Dral said:

Ahhh, so you were just clarifying... it did feel like you were trying misrepresent my argument, glad that wasn't the case and agree on some things

I'm not interested in skewing what others say, especially in a conversation that I didn't initiate.

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I did, but nothing you said changes the fact that as it stands now, abortion is legal and walking into a school and killing students is not. As @Canorth (quite correctly) pointed out, any attempt to equate the two scenarios is misguided.

FWIW, I wish all unwanted pregnancies were carried to term and followed by adoption, but I don't think so highly of my own opinion that I could be the arbiter for half of the population. Hence, I defer to the courts.

Abortion law doesn't actually state that a fetus isn't a living entity... it simply states that women have the right to terminate their pregnancy (and thus, legally, kill a life)... so your argument is that there's only a problem with killing things when it's illegal to do so... thus, as long as it's legal, its ok?

I think there are many examples of being able to legally kill people, just because in one situation it isn't illegal doesn't mean you can't point out a connection between the two...

8 hours ago, Hypocritical Cranium said:

You trust her over the Washington Post? No one believes Sara Sanders 

"President Trump has decided to remove national security adviser H.R. McMaster from his job, part of a potential larger move to change staff. "

http://wapo.st/2pj2zzR

This is not fake news, right?

Hypocritical Cranium

• Comets Star

President Trump has fired H.R. McMaster

You made a statement that McMaster had been 'fired'. I posted a statement from the White House itself. You had absolutely nothing at the time to back up your comment......nothing. No link, no facts, nothing. So because so many of you require 'fact'.....I posted one from the horse's mouth (no insult intended to SS's appearance). Did I say anywhere that I trusted the statement? Better read my post again.....this time with comprehension.

Edited by Cerridwen
6 minutes ago, Cerridwen said:

You made a statement that McMaster had been 'fired'. I posted a statement from the White House itself. You had absolutely nothing at the time to back up your comment......nothing. No link, no facts, nothing. So because so many of you require 'fact'.....I posted one from the horse's mouth (no insult intended to SS's appearance). Did I say anywhere that I trusted the statement? Better read my post again.....this time with comprehension.

You say this A LOT....

people really have trouble comprehending you, don't they?

1 minute ago, Dral said:

You say this A LOT....

people really have trouble comprehending you, don't they?

Hmm, if "A LOT" means a couple/few times over the past year or so when it was warranted then I guess that must be your definition of "A LOT". Do carry on......most amusing, eh what?

17 minutes ago, Cerridwen said:

Hmm, if "A LOT" means a couple/few times over the past year or so when it was warranted then I guess that must be your definition of "A LOT". Do carry on......most amusing, eh what?

I guess twice in 2 days is the same as a few times in the last year

5 minutes ago, Dral said:

I guess twice in 2 days is the same as a few times in the last year

I guess twice in 2 days is the same as a few times in the last year = "A LOT"

FTFY :lol:

And now,  returning to your regularly scheduled programming.... The Trump's Follies Thread......

Edited by Cerridwen
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

And men make good decisions for themselves?

No, but apparently they make good decisions for women who they won't let decide for themselves.  Funny that eh

• Upvote 3
1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

See I agree with this statement.

The main issue is, the people in the Dral camp would then have to work.  The moment they had to put down their disgusting signs and actually step up and be a part of the solution instead of a major part of the problem they'd back down.

It's indicative of a severe level of cowardice.  Wanting to take the choice from people but refusing to step in and actually help.

• Upvote 2
6 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

No, but apparently they make good decisions for women who they won't let decide for themselves.  Funny that eh

No one should be given the right to make that decision outside of the woman. I agree.

On a side note, my condolences regarding your son, Hippy. I don't have the words. The choice your wife (and you) had to make I can't begin to fathom.

• Like 3
24 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

No one should be given the right to make that decision outside of the woman. I agree.

On a side note, my condolences regarding your son, Hippy. I don't have the words. The choice your wife (and you) had to make I can't begin to fathom.

I don't want or need sympathy but I appreciate it.

i LOATHE these arguments like I do over opinionated Flames or Leafs fans.  It always amounts to the same crap from the same people.  We recovered from it in time.  People who have never been forced to deal with those options always make the grandest statements about what is right, best or proper.  But never ever step up when needed.

The "thoughts and prayers but don't take my guns it wasn't my kid who shot anyone" crowd

I don't get in this day and age of science and potential enlightment why some have to be so ignorant and I dare say in person this kind of conversation makes me think fondly of violent response to ignorant pose

I don't want or need sympathy but I appreciate it.

I don't want you to think that it's sympathy. I nearly lost my wife during childbirth once, and it still affects me.

i LOATHE these arguments like I do over opinionated Flames or Leafs fans.  It always amounts to the same crap from the same people.  We recovered from it in time.  People who have never been forced to deal with those options always make the grandest statements about what is right, best or proper.  But never ever step up when needed.

That is very true. Would those who propagate a pro-life agenda step in to adopt the babies? Highly doubtful, but from atop a moral high ground, it's easy to just say $&!# and hope it sticks.

The "thoughts and prayers but don't take my guns it wasn't my kid who shot anyone" crowd

I don't get in this day and age of science and potential enlightment why some have to be so ignorant and I dare say in person this kind of conversation makes me think fondly of violent response to ignorant pose

In person, I would think that a lot of the statements would have a more hushed and neutral tone.

• -SN- changed the title to USA Politics/Election Thread
  • DonLever changed the title to USA Politics/Election Thread: California Gov. Newsom Defeats Recall Referendum
  • -DLC- locked this topic
  • -DLC- unlocked this topic