The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

USA Politics/Election Thread: California Gov. Newsom Defeats Recall Referendum

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

hmm. SJWs are basically puritans, they want to control social norms, but for the most part can be ignored. Social con's are now fine with dismantling democracy. One is worse than the other, both are very annoying tho. 

Bear in mind, I’m a fiscal conservative in most things so my judgment will be biased.  Unfortunately ‘Red Tories’ are extinct.:(

• Hydration 1
1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I know how tempting it is to go there... but it has to be more than that. Doesn't it? 

https://www.npr.org/2020/12/09/944685514/most-americans-believe-the-election-results-some-dont

6 months ago, I would have said yes, but according to NPR, 75% of Republicans don't trust the election results. That amounts to about 53 million voters....:unsure:

I don't see how this can be the case, if they're not easily duped.

• Like 1
  • Hydration 1

The Bone Spurs administration is so incompetent, they can't even dox properly.....:picard:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/newspolitics/michigan-native-slammed-by-calls-after-trump-campaign-shares-wrong-phone-number/ar-BB1cuE4t?li=AAggFp5

A Michigan native who now lives in California has been bombarded by calls and texts after President Trump's campaign mistakenly shared their phone number instead of the number of a Michigan state lawmaker in a post on social media.

O Rose told The Washington Post that their phone began ringing nonstop on Sunday after Trump's reelection campaign shared a post on Twitter and Facebook urging supporters to contact Michigan state Senate Majority Leader Mike Shirkey (R) and former Michigan House Speaker Lee Chatfield (R), whom the campaign mistakenly identified as the current Speaker, to demand a vote to decertify President-elect Joe Biden's victory in the state in the race for the White House.

The campaign, however, gave the wrong phone number for Chatfield - sharing Rose's phone number on both social media platforms.

Rose's story was first reported by the Petoskey News-Review. They said that they have received thousands of angry calls and text messages from people across the country.

"My phone can't even take it anymore - it's breaking," Rose told the Post. "I was getting so many calls it was impossible to do anything with my phone."

Although they initially began answering the calls and attempting to explain the mistake, Rose said that many callers were aggressive and did not believe them when they said they are not associated with Chatfield.

Rose said they began responding to text messages with memes, photos of rabbits, pie recipes and more.

"For some reason, even though I send them some ridiculous things, they still think I'm Lee [Chatfield] and they still keep trying to tell me what they want and they say, 'I'm sending this to the president!' " Rose told the Post, adding that, although they have tried to contact the Trump campaign to edit or delete the social media posts, they plan to change their phone number on Tuesday.

"I'm being personally affected by a decision that [Trump] made without fact-checking, and that's the silliest thing I've ever heard," Rose added.

Rose told the outlet that they figured out the mistake after a friend of their father's sent them a text believing it was the phone number of the Michigan state representative.

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Bear in mind, I’m a fiscal conservative in most things so my judgment will be biased.  Unfortunately ‘Red Tories’ are extinct.:(

but.... but... I'm still here :shock:

• Haha 1
23 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

https://www.npr.org/2020/12/09/944685514/most-americans-believe-the-election-results-some-dont

6 months ago, I would have said yes, but according to NPR, 75% of Republicans don't trust the election results. That amounts to about 53 million voters....:unsure:

I don't see how this can be the case, if they're not easily duped.

I think many of them are lying and wishing that was the case. They know Trump is full of crap. 

• Hydration 1

I say this is a step in the right direction, but TRUMP needs to be impeached again.  Pronto.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-congress/house-resolution/14

https://hankjohnson.house.gov/media-center/press-releases/congressman-johnson-s-resolution-censures-trump-call-georgia-secretary

Congressman Johnson’s Resolution Censures Trump For Call to Georgia Secretary of State

January 4, 2021 
Press Release

Rep. Johnson’s Resolution Censures and Condemns Trump for Blatantly Attempting to Overturn the Results of the November 2020 Presidential Election in Georgia.

WASHINGTON, D.C. — Congressman Hank Johnson (GA-04) introduced H. Res 14 this evening, censuring and condemning President Donald J. Trump for attempting to overturn the results of the November 2020 presidential election in the State of Georgia. He is joined by 100 colleagues.

On Saturday, January 2, 2021, President Trump called Georgia’s Secretary of State and asked him to illegally fabricate the votes needed for him to win the Georgia vote count. On Sunday, January 3, 2021, the entire audio of the call was reported in The Washington Post. The call lasted more than an hour and involved the President threatening Secretary Raffensperger with vague criminal prosecution threats if he didn’t cooperate. Rep. Johnson moved quickly to condemn President Trump's criminal actions and denounce his flagrant attempts to defraud a legal, fair, and free election

Rep. Johnson tweeted: [the] president’s call to the Ga. SOS was far from “perfect.” In fact, it is a violation of state and federal law. Tomorrow, I will introduce a resolution of Censure. Trump should resign NOW!

The resolution garnered wide democratic support. Rep. Johnson was joined by Reps. Adams, Allred, Auchincloss, Barragan, Bass, Beatty, Beyer, Bishop, Blumenauer, Bonamici, Bourdeaux, Bowman, Boyle, Bush, Butterfield, Cardenas, Carson, Casten, Castor, Castro, Chu, Cicilline, Yvette Clarke, Cohen, Connolly, Cooper, Correa, Courtney, Danny Davis, Dean, DeLauro, Dingell, Doggett, Escobar, Eshoo, Espaillat, Dwight Evans, Foster, Chuy Garcia, Sylvia Garcia, Jimmy Gomez, Al Green, Hastings, Hayes, Brian Higgins, Himes, Huffman, Jackson Lee, Jayapal, Mondaire Jones, Khanna, Kildee, John Larson, Brenda Lawrence, Barbara Lee, Andy Levin, Mike Levin, Lieu, Lowenthal, Luria, Lynch, Matsui, McCollum, McEachin, McGovern, McNerney, Meeks, Meng, Moulton, Newman, Norton, Ocasio-Cortez, Omar, Pallone, Panetta, Pingree, Pocan, Pressley, Raskin, Rice, Rush, Scanlon, Schakowsky, David Scott, Sewell, Sherman, Speier, Suozzi, Swalwell, Takano, Mike Thompson, Tlaib, Tonko, Norma Torres, Ritchie Torres, Veasey, Velázquez, Watson Coleman, Welch, Yarmuth.

Text of the resolution HERE.

The resolution also calls on President Trump to retract and disavow this unlawful and unconstitutional behavior and acknowledge President-elect Joseph R. Biden as the victor of the November 2020 presidential election.

• Thanks 2
6 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I think many of them are lying and wishing that was the case. They know Trump is full of crap. 

I wish I shared your optimism, (And I used to) Now I look at the clowns with their MAGA Hats and their "Stop the Steal" signs, surrounded by Gravy Seals and think, "If it walks like a duck...."

Certainly, most of the scumbags in Congress and the Senate are lying through their teeth for political advantage (and to Hell with their oath to uphold the Constitution) but the blind masses who cast a vote for this POS president are just that, IMHO...

• Vintage 1

Apparently, TRUMP was looking to bounce prior to inauguration.  Looks like he may have to change his plans.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/trump-biden-inauguration-scotland-sturgeon-lockdown-b1782602.html?utm_source=reddit.com

Trump not allowed into Scotland to escape Biden inauguration, Sturgeon warns

US president reportedly planning to visit his Turnberry golf resort to avoid opponent being sworn into office

• Haha 3
8 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

They know Trump is full of crap. 

Oh come on now.  I expected more from you.  Dotard isn’t into scatology (don’t ask me why I know that word...:ph34r:).  He’s into human waste of a different kind....:P

• Haha 1
3 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I wish I shared your optimism, (And I used to) Now I look at the clowns with their MAGA Hats and their "Stop the Steal" signs, surrounded by Gravy Seals and think, "If it walks like a duck...."

Certainly, most of the scumbags in Congress and the Senate are lying through their teeth for political advantage (and to Hell with their oath to uphold the Constitution) but the blind masses who cast a vote for this POS president are just that, IMHO...

I think its the same brain mechanism we use to suspend dis-belief when watching a movie or tv show, they are in it for the buzz and entertainment, but at the end of the day you know its a show. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
3 minutes ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

Apparently, TRUMP was looking to bounce prior to inauguration.  Looks like he may have to change his plans.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/trump-biden-inauguration-scotland-sturgeon-lockdown-b1782602.html?utm_source=reddit.com

US president reportedly planning to visit his Turnberry golf resort to avoid opponent being sworn into office

we all know he will end up going to Argentina :ph34r:

• Hydration 1
  • Haha 1

George Will....tearing hypocritical Repugs a new one:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/hawley-cruz-and-their-senate-cohort-are-the-constitutions-most-dangerous-domestic-enemies/2021/01/04/912d2530-4ebf-11eb-83e3-322644d82356_story.html

On a conference call last Thursday, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell told his caucus that, in his 36 Senate years, he has twice cast votes to take the nation to war and once to remove a president, but that the vote he will cast this Wednesday to certify Joe Biden’s electoral college victory will be the most important of his career. McConnell (R-Ky.) understands the recklessness of congressional Republicans who are fueling the doubts of a large majority of Republicans about the legitimacy of the 2020 election.

The day before McConnell’s somber statement, Missouri’s freshman Republican senator, Josh Hawley, announced that on Wednesday, 14 days before Biden will be inaugurated, he will challenge the validity of Biden’s election. Hawley’s conscience regarding electoral proprieties compels him to stroke this erogenous zone of the GOP’s 2024 presidential nominating electorate.

Hawley’s stance quickly elicited panicky emulation from Texas Republican Sen. Ted Cruz, another 2024 aspirant. Cruz led 10 other senators and senators-elect in a statement that presents their pandering to what terrifies them (their Trumpkin voters) as a judicious determination to assess the “unprecedented allegations” of voting improprieties, “allegations” exceeding “any in our lifetimes.”

So, allegations in sufficient quantity, although of uniformly risible quality, validate senatorial grandstanding that is designed to deepen today’s widespread delusions and resentments. While Hawley et al. were presenting their last-ditch devotion to President Trump as devotion to electoral integrity, Trump was heard on tape browbeating noncompliant Georgia election officials to “find” thousands of votes for him. Awkward.

Never mind. Hawley — has there ever been such a high ratio of ambition to accomplishment? — and Cruz have already nimbly begun to monetize their high-mindedness through fundraising appeals.

For many years, some people insisted that a vast conspiracy, not a lone gunman, masterminded the 1963 assassination of President John F. Kennedy near the grassy knoll in Dallas’s Dealey Plaza. To these people, the complete absence of evidence proved the conspiracy’s sophistication. They were demented. Today’s senatorial Grassy Knollers — Hawley, with Cruz and others panting to catch up — are worse. They are cynical.

They know that every one of the almost 60 Trump challenges to the election has been rebuffed in state and federal courts, including the Supreme Court, involving more than 90 judges, nominated by presidents of both parties. But for scores of millions of mesmerized Trump Republicans, who think the absence of evidence is the most sinister evidence, this proves that the courts, too, are tentacles of the “deep state.” Hawley and Cruz, both of whom clerked for chief justices of the Supreme Court, hope to be wafted into the White House by gusts of such paranoia.

As does Vice President Pence, who says about Hawley et al.: Me, too. To fathom Pence’s canine devotion to Trump, watch a video from June 7, 2018. Seated next to Trump in a meeting, Pence saw Trump take his water bottle off the table and place it on the floor. So, Pence did likewise. Google the 22-second video. It is a sufficient Pence biography.

Republican Sen. Ben Sasse (Neb.) obliquely but scaldingly said of Hawley: “Adults don’t point a loaded gun at the heart of legitimate self-government.” America’s three-party system — Democrats, Hawley-Cruz Republicans, and McConnell-Sasse Republicans — will continue to take shape on Wednesday. Watch how many of these Republican senators who might be seeking reelection in 2022 have the spine to side with the adults against Hawley-Cruz et al. and the Grassy Knollers among their constituents: John Boozman, Richard Burr, Mike Crapo, Charles E. Grassley, John Hoeven, Mike Lee, Jerry Moran, Lisa Murkowski, Rand Paul, Rob Portman, Marco Rubio, Tim Scott, Richard C. Shelby, John Thune, Todd C. Young. By aligning with Cruz, four — Ron Johnson, John Neely Kennedy, James Lankford and Kelly Loeffler — have reserved their seats at the children’s table.

Hawley, Cruz and company have perhaps rescued Biden from becoming the first president in 32 years to begin his presidency without his party controlling both houses of Congress. On Tuesday, Georgians will decide control of the Senate. While they have been watching Republican attempts to delegitimize Biden’s election (two recounts have confirmed that Georgians favor Biden), Republicans were telling them: a) elections in the world’s oldest constitutional democracy, and especially in Georgia, are rigged, but b) the nation’s fate depends on their turning out for Tuesday’s (presumptively) sham run-off Senate elections, lest c) Democrats take control of the Senate and behave badly.

Be that as it may, on Wednesday, the members of the Hawley-Cruz cohort will violate the oath of office in which they swore to defend the Constitution from enemies “foreign and domestic.” They are its most dangerous domestic enemies.

Well said George....

Best Wiserhood GIFs | Gfycat

• Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

I think it makes far more sense for him to go somewhere that doesn't have an extradition treaty with the US.

I hear Micronesia is nice this time of year.....

• Hydration 1
7 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I think its the same brain mechanism we use to suspend dis-belief when watching a movie or tv show, they are in it for the buzz and entertainment, but at the end of the day you know its a show. 

I think a better analogy would be pro wrestling, but in this case, I disagree.

Those are true believers, IMO

2 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I think a better analogy would be pro wrestling, but in this case, I disagree.

Those are true believers, IMO

well, then things get pretty interesting. I'd love to the the US right split and form two parties. 

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

well, then things get pretty interesting. I'd love to the the US right split and form two parties. 

That's definitely something we can agree on. Traditional Republicans, who want a strong military, fiscal responsibility and a re-emphasis on a global economic outlook....

...and whatever TF the party of Trump stands for....(besides sycophancy and blind obedience)

1 minute ago, RUPERTKBD said:

That's definitely something we can agree on. Traditional Republicans, who want a strong military, fiscal responsibility and a re-emphasis on a global economic outlook....

...and whatever TF the party of Trump stands for....(besides sycophancy and blind obedience)

it'll be the "America First" party 

• Hydration 1
2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I know how tempting it is to go there... but it has to be more than that. Doesn't it? 

Oh for sure... but it boils down to that and a few select issues like abortion where they're also &^@#ing stupid. 

• Hydration 2
2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

it'll be the "America First" party 

Probably....although "America First and Last" would be more accurate....

• Hydration 1

With the Trumpers descending on Washington D.C, mayor Bowser has activated the National guard.

This way “patriots” can dress up in their camouflage and MAGA gear, yell, scream and pick up some Doritos and Mountain Dew and head home to play Call of duty.

• Hydration 2
  • DonLever changed the title to USA Politics/Election Thread: California Gov. Newsom Defeats Recall Referendum