The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

USA Politics/Election Thread: California Gov. Newsom Defeats Recall Referendum

1 hour ago, CBH1926 said:

The day when black gold was discovered in the desert and Aramco was formed was not a good day for humanity and human rights.

Western greed and medieval mindset are bad combo.

How did American oil end up under  Saudi sand?

How different the world would be, if enough oil had been found faster in the U.S.

• Like 1
  • Hydration 1
1 minute ago, gurn said:

How different the world would be, if enough oil had been found faster in the U.S.

They would have used most of it up already and would be getting ready to invade us to get our oil.

• Haha 2
7 hours ago, canuckster19 said:

LOL that the dem koolaid drinkers on here thought anything was going to change, same s different colour.

I'll give you an example.   Not one GOP member voted for the recent covid relief bill.  All but 2 Democrats did.  The bill that would give American Janes and Joes money.   

The recent Senate vote for increasing the minimum wage saw all the GOP members and 8 Dems vote against it.

Two examples where there are majorities of Democrats trying to help Americans vs. the entire GOP against it.  

• Upvote 1
  • Burr 2
27 minutes ago, gurn said:

That is a good question.

KSA certainly changed from a place where Bedouins engaged in tribal fighting and almost no infrastructure to basically still the same mentality but on steroids. Like Beverly hillbillies.

image.png.28823fa654b978de26b41f9c78076655.png

16 hours ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

https://www.newsweek.com/kyrsten-sinema-tweet-calling-minimum-wage-raise-no-brainer-resurfaces-after-no-vote-1574181

Kyrsten Sinema Tweet Calling Minimum Wage Raise 'No-Brainer' Resurfaces After No Vote

The Minimum wage thing is a setback. The objection was putting it in with the Covid bill and is absolutely (and will be, IMHO) revisited after the relief bill is passed.

The real problem the Dems face is people like Sinema and Manchin. Two Senators fro traditionally Red states who feel like they have to vote like Republicans, even though they were elected as Democrats. With zero room for dissent in the Senate, it will be almost impossible to get legislation through that chamber. The idea that moderate Republicans like Murkowski, Collins and Romney will side with the Democrats is wishful thinking, IMO.

• Hydration 2
8 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

The Minimum wage thing is a setback. The objection was putting it in with the Covid bill and is absolutely (and will be, IMHO) revisited after the relief bill is passed.

The real problem the Dems face is people like Sinema and Manchin. Two Senators fro traditionally Red states who feel like they have to vote like Republicans, even though they were elected as Democrats. With zero room for dissent in the Senate, it will be almost impossible to get legislation through that chamber. The idea that moderate Republicans like Murkowski, Collins and Romney will side with the Democrats is wishful thinking, IMO.

Putting it in the Covid bill was the one chance at $15/hr.  I’m sure it will be revisited but it will be at a significantly lower rate, just pulling numbers out of my ass but say $9.50/hr phased in over 32 years. I think it winds up being some token that is no more a liveable wage than what it is now. Because of Manchin, Sinema and the other 4 dems who voted against it the republicans will drag it out until the mid-terms when voters will rightly question the dems about living up to their promises. Sinema’s “no brainer” tweet and then voting against it will just be more ammo for the right.

You’re right about wishing for moderate Republicans to side with the Democrats being wishful thinking and that’s why they had to get it done now with or without them. Pisses me off that they let an unelected official, who they simply had to override, decide that it couldn’t be in the relief bill. Not a good showing of strength and leadership in my opinion.

• Hydration 1
3 hours ago, 4petesake said:

Putting it in the Covid bill was the one chance at $15/hr.  I’m sure it will be revisited but it will be at a significantly lower rate, just pulling numbers out of my ass but say $9.50/hr phased in over 32 years. I think it winds up being some token that is no more a liveable wage than what it is now. Because of Manchin, Sinema and the other 4 dems who voted against it the republicans will drag it out until the mid-terms when voters will rightly question the dems about living up to their promises. Sinema’s “no brainer” tweet and then voting against it will just be more ammo for the right.

You’re right about wishing for moderate Republicans to side with the Democrats being wishful thinking and that’s why they had to get it done now with or without them. Pisses me off that they let an unelected official, who they simply had to override, decide that it couldn’t be in the relief bill. Not a good showing of strength and leadership in my opinion.

Why?

17 minutes ago, Canorth said:

Why?

$2000 relief cheques and $15 minimum wage were things that they talked about quite a bit during the election. The relief cheques have been reduced to $1400 and no minimum wage now when a sizeable majority of Americans supported it. They need to show strength and live up to their promises.

3 hours ago, 4petesake said:

14 minutes ago, Canorth said:

Why?

I'm not so sure....

Sinema's little performance during the vote doesn't bode particularly well, but in politics, it's a game of give and take. IMO, it's entirely possible that an issue will come up near and dear to the hearts of Manchin, Sinema and other "moderate" Democrats and they might be willing to deal on minimum wage.

That being said, I hope you're wrong about $9.50 / hr. If that's the best they can do, they might as well pack it in. They control all three branches of the government, so I can't see them knocking over $5.00 off their target wage. I could see and agreement where it starts around $12.00 and is gradually increased to $15.00 over a period of time....

• Hydration 1
9 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I'm not so sure....

Sinema's little performance during the vote doesn't bode particularly well, but in politics, it's a game of give and take. IMO, it's entirely possible that an issue will come up near and dear to the hearts of Manchin, Sinema and other "moderate" Democrats and they might be willing to deal on minimum wage.

That being said, I hope you're wrong about $9.50 / hr. If that's the best they can do, they might as well pack it in. They control all three branches of the government, so I can't see them knocking over $5.00 off their target wage. I could see and agreement where it starts around $12.00 and is gradually increased to $15.00 over a period of time....

I hope I’m wrong too but this is when they should have acted boldly.

image.png.a52583cfdd1248c49f5826c04c8e5a57.png

• Vintage 1

This whole Democrats are like Republicans nonsense  reminds of one another comparison we can make.

Canadians fought in Vietnam, Afghanistan, helped U.S fight wars in Iraq and were involved in Libyan conflict.

Participated in English atrocities against Boers, tortured Somalis, killed off indigenous population, created residential schools, Chinese head tax etc. Based on that flawed logic Canada is like the U.S, no difference between the two. 

6 hours ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

I'll give you an example.   Not one GOP member voted for the recent covid relief bill.  All but 2 Democrats did.  The bill that would give American Janes and Joes money.   

I haven't looked but I'd wager most of those GOP members couldn't vote fast enough for Wall Street bailout money.

• Hydration 2
11 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

This whole Democrats are like Republicans nonsense  reminds of one another comparison we can make.

Canadians fought in Vietnam, Afghanistan, helped U.S fight wars in Iraq and were involved in Libyan conflict.

Participated in English atrocities against Boers, tortured Somalis, killed off indigenous population, created residential schools, Chinese head tax etc. Based on that flawed logic Canada is like the U.S, no difference between the two. 

"A state is the coldest of all monsters.Coldly lieth it also,and this lie creepeth from its mouth, I the state am the people".

Friedrich Nietzsche

31 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

$2000 relief cheques and $15 minimum wage were things that they talked about quite a bit during the election. The relief cheques have been reduced to $1400 and no minimum wage now when a sizeable majority of Americans supported it. They need to show strength and live up to their promises.

I guess I was more curious as to why you thought that this would be the last chance for a min/wage increase. The priority is, and should be, on the stimulus package. Sure, a wage hike will have significant returns. But, the priority has to be immediate relief for the struggling people. 

I just don’t agree that this is dead in the water. Not yet, anyways

edit; Dems have only been in control for a month and a half. Don’t even have a full cabinet confirmed yet. Perspective.

Edited by Canorth
12 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I haven't looked but I'd wager most of those GOP members couldn't vote fast enough for Wall Street bailout money.

Fastest buzzers in jeopardy.

• Hydration 2
  • DonLever changed the title to USA Politics/Election Thread: California Gov. Newsom Defeats Recall Referendum