Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

USA Politics/Election Thread: California Gov. Newsom Defeats Recall Referendum


Recommended Posts

30 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

You ever watch Rake?  The seasons where he is a politician were great. Okay the whole show is great. Maybe the best TV to ever come out of Aus. 

Fantastic show 

Richard Roxburgh's portrayal of Cleaver Greene is pure Gold.

 

  • Hydration 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, 4petesake said:

I just wanted to quote you here because this can’t be over-emphasized. My worry is that the dems may cause more damage to their cause than the Republicans. Think two years not four as their opportunity to get their agenda through.

McConnell showed them how to do it as well to avoid filibusters. Use it while you can. 

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Ilunga said:

The Dems have a long history of snatching defeat in the face of victory.

Same here in Aus.

Last election labour seemed like a shoo-in and then some evangelical cult member  nutbag lead the Conservatives to a win.

Key is winning the state legislatures where they (GOP) rewrite election districts (gerrymandering) & implement voter restrictions.  It’s like the Canucks trying to win games with Ian Sutherland as the ref.  Not impossible but it does make it harder.

  • Like 1
  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Sometimes I wonder how some people are able to function in every day society.....

 

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/newspolitics/christian-pastor-claims-prophets-will-call-back-trump-for-three-terms/ar-BB1esxTj?li=AAggNb9

 

Quote

 

Pastor Robin Bullock, who describes himself as operating "heavily" in the prophetic realm, claimed during a Tuesday church service that prophets will call back former President Donald Trump "for three terms."

Many Christian leaders and believers have been ardent supporters of Trump since his election in 2016. A number of self-described "prophets"—including Bullock—predicted that Trump would easily win reelection in 2020, which turned out to be inaccurate. While some have admitted they were wrong and have apologized, Bullock still believes that he was correct and that Trump continues to be the legitimate president, according to his Tuesday remarks.

"The stage is set," Bullock said in his sermon, which was first reported by Right Wing Watch. "But you're going to have to pray for the rightful president, whether he wants to walk back into this or not. You must pray that he wants to do it, because God won't make him do anything. Is it his will? Yes. Is he the president? Yes. That's why he could just walk right back in, and God will supernaturally move things out of the way."

Bullock, who is the founder of Alabama's Youth Force Ministries Church International and hosts the weekly "prophetic" YouTube program The Eleventh Hour, said it was apparent Trump was still president when "all you have to do is listen to him. He's the president."

"We're gonna have to start publicly talking about that he's the president. I know they will say, 'Really? Why would you say that in public?' Because he is!" Bullock continued. "Don't mess with us, Satan. Don't mess with us, corrupt political regimes. Don't mess with God's people like that, because I'm going to tell you something: If you mess with us, we'll call him back for three terms. Don't mess with us."

 

There's really only one thing that I can use to describe my feelings on the above.....

Spoiler

Facepalm Jesus (@facepalm_jesus) | Twitter

 

  • Thanks 1
  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Gnarcore said:

You ever watch Rake?  The seasons where he is a politician were great. Okay the whole show is great. Maybe the best TV to ever come out of Aus. 

 

10 hours ago, Ilunga said:

Fantastic show 

Richard Roxburgh's portrayal of Cleaver Greene is pure Gold.

 

Loved it.  Even with Roxburgh producing the American version, that one only lasted 13 episodes.  Well, it was on Fox.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

https://www.businessinsider.com/transcript-trump-pressures-another-georgia-elections-official-to-find-fraud-2021-3?utm_source=reddit.com

Trump pressured another Georgia elections official, Frances Watson, to uncover nonexistent voter fraud

 

  • Former President Donald Trump pressured another Georgia elections official to find voter fraud, The Wall Street Journal reported.
  • Frances Watson is the chief investigator at the Georgia Secretary of State's office.
  • "Do you think they'll be working after Christmas, to keep it going fast?" Trump asked. "Because, you know, we have that date of the 6th, which is a very important date."
  • Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

 

https://www.businessinsider.com/transcript-trump-pressures-another-georgia-elections-official-to-find-fraud-2021-3?utm_source=reddit.com

Trump pressured another Georgia elections official, Frances Watson, to uncover nonexistent voter fraud

 

  • Former President Donald Trump pressured another Georgia elections official to find voter fraud, The Wall Street Journal reported.
  • Frances Watson is the chief investigator at the Georgia Secretary of State's office.
  • "Do you think they'll be working after Christmas, to keep it going fast?" Trump asked. "Because, you know, we have that date of the 6th, which is a very important date."

Its like he wants to be caught

  • Hydration 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

 

https://apnews.com/article/merrick-garland-confirmed-us-attorney-general-47319bb0337f4d7344d0cffaead37374

 

Senate confirms Merrick Garland to be US attorney general

 

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Senate confirmed Merrick Garland on Wednesday to be the next U.S. attorney general with a strong bipartisan vote, placing the widely-respected, veteran judge in the post as President Joe Biden has vowed to restore the Justice Department’s reputation for independence.

Democrats have praised Garland, a federal appeals court judge who was snubbed by Republicans for a seat on the Supreme Court in 2016, as a highly qualified and honorable jurist who is uniquely qualified to lead the department after a tumultuous four years under former President Donald Trump. Many Republicans praised him as well, saying he has the right record and temperament for the moment. He was confirmed 70-30.

 

Garland will now inherit a Justice Department embattled by a turbulent era under Trump, who insisted that the attorney general and the department must be loyal to him personally, battering the department’s reputation. In the last month of Trump’s presidency, Attorney General William Barr resigned after refuting Trump’s false claims that widespread electoral fraud had led to his defeat.

Trump’s pressure on officials, particularly on Barr and former Attorney General Jeff Sessions over the department’s probe into his campaign’s ties to Russia, prompted abundant criticism from Democrats over what they saw as the politicizing of the nation’s top law enforcement agencies.

“After Donald Trump spent four years — four long years — subverting the powers of the Justice Department for his own political benefit, treating the attorney general like his own personal defense lawyer, America can breathe a sigh of relief that we’re going to have someone like Merrick Garland leading the Justice Department,” said Majority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., ahead of the vote. “Someone with integrity, independence, respect for the rule of law and credibility on both sides of the aisle.”

Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell — who prevented Garland from becoming a Supreme Court Justice in 2016 when he blocked his nomination — said he was voting to confirm Garland because of “his long reputation as a straight shooter and a legal expert” and that his “left-of-center perspective” was still within the legal mainstream.

 

“Let’s hope our incoming attorney general applies that no-nonsense approach to the serious challenges facing the Department of Justice and our nation,” McConnell said.

Garland’s nomination was widely seen as a redemption after McConnell had blocked his Supreme Court nomination, taking a huge political gamble after the death of Justice Antonin Scalia by saying that the next president should get the pick, not outgoing President Barack Obama. Trump was then down in the polls, but McConnell’s bet paid off when the Republican won the presidency. Garland’s nomination floundered for nine months, and he never got a hearing.

“We can never erase the sad memory of what happened to Judge Merrick Garland five years ago in the United States Senate, but we can give this remarkable man an opportunity to write a new chapter of public service in his life,” said Senate Judiciary Chairman Dick Durbin, D-Ill., just before the vote.

As he finally sat before the Judiciary panel in February, Garland sought to assure lawmakers that the Justice Department would remain politically independent on his watch. He said his first priority would be to combat extremist violence with an initial focus on the Jan. 6 insurrection at the U.S. Capitol, promising lawmakers that he would provide prosecutors with whatever resources they need to bring charges over the attack.

Garland will also inherit immediate political challenges, including an ongoing criminal tax investigation into Biden’s son, Hunter, and a federal probe into the overseas and business dealings of the former New York City mayor and Trump ally Rudy Giuliani, which stalled last year over a dispute about investigative tactics as Trump unsuccessfully sought reelection.

His confirmation also comes amid calls from many Democrats to pursue inquiries into Trump.

Separately, Garland will also be responsible for overseeing a special counsel investigation into the origins of the Russia probe, which shadowed Trump’s presidency for more than two years. Garland will have to decide how to handle it and what to make public.

An experienced judge, Garland held senior positions at the Justice Department decades ago, including as a supervisor in the prosecution of the 1995 Oklahoma City bombing, which led to the execution of Timothy McVeigh. His experience prosecuting domestic terrorism cases could prove exceptionally valuable as investigations into the Capitol insurrection progress.

Full Coverage: Politics

The department’s priorities and messaging are expected to shift drastically in the Biden administration, with a focus more on civil rights issues, criminal justice overhauls and policing policies in the wake of nationwide protests over the death of Black Americans at the hands of law enforcement.

That expected shift prompted some Republicans to oppose Garland’s nomination, including Arkansas Sen. Tom Cotton, who said he believed the judge would be too soft on criminals and immigrants and “empower left wing radicals embedded inside the department.”

At his confirmation hearing, Garland emphasized his commitment to combating racial discrimination in policing, telling senators that said America doesn’t “yet have equal justice.” He also said he’d prioritize confronting the rise in extremist violence and domestic terror threats.

At one point in the hearing, he held back tears when speaking about his grandparents, who fled Russia for the U.S. amid antisemitism and persecution.

“The country took us in, and protected us, and I feel an obligation to the country to pay back, and this is the highest, best use of my own set of skills to pay back,” Garland said. “So I very much want to be the kind of attorney general that you’re saying I could become, and I’ll do my best to become that kind of attorney general.”

  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Hamhuis Hip Check said:

Its like he wants to be caught

He thinks he's John Gotti....

 

At this point, he's gotten away with so much stuff there's pretty much nothing he won't do. He knows there are about 60 million sheep who will stand behind him no matter what.

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

 

Loved it.  Even with Roxburgh producing the American version, that one only lasted 13 episodes.  Well, it was on Fox.

i didn't know there was a Murican version. It would have to be on HBO or Showtime to work and be at all like the Aus version which is full of swearing and such.  

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

 

 

Quality of votes?  At least the GOP aren't saying "them black folks" now.

Well.....not out loud, anyway.....:unsure:

 

It's funny how Republicans keep coming back to this BS "fraud" angle, as if there's anything to it. Sure, Democrats are okay with something that study after study has shown to occur in a small fraction of a percentage point.

 

In fact, statistically, it's about 5X less likely than being struck by lightning:

 

Quote

Voter impersonation, also sometimes called in-person voter fraud,[1] is a form of electoral fraud in which a person who is eligible to vote in an election votes more than once, or a person who is not eligible to vote does so by voting under the name of an eligible voter.[1] In the United States, voter ID laws have been enacted in a number of states by Republican legislatures and governors since 2010 with the purported aim of preventing voter impersonation.[2] Existing research and evidence shows that voter impersonation is extremely rare. Between 2000 and 2014, there were only 31 documented cases of voter impersonation.[3][4] There is no evidence that it has changed the result of any election. In April 2020, a voter fraud study covering 20 years by the Massachusetts Institute of Technology found the level of fraud "exceedingly rare" since it occurs only in "0.00006 percent" of instances nationally, and, in one state, "0.000004 percent — about five times less likely than getting hit by lightning in the United States."[5]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voter_impersonation_(United_States)

  • Hydration 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Some people are slow learners.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/politics/pro-trump-rep-lauren-boebert-includes-gunshot-sound-in-attack-ad-against-house-speaker-nancy-pelosi/ar-BB1esmX6?ocid=msedgntp

A pro-Trump congresswoman is getting online blowback for including the sound of a gunshot in an attack ad against House Speaker Nancy Pelosi.

Rep. Lauren Boebert (R-Colo.) shared the ad on social media Monday mocking Pelosi over Capitol security measures, and ended the 1-minute clip with the sound of a weapon being cocked and reloaded.

 

“Madam Speaker, tear down this wall,” Boebert snaps in the ad as she walks by fences that were erected around the building after the Jan. 6 riot.

Dubbing the fence-ringed Capitol “Fort Pelosi,” Boebert accuses Democrats of sparing no expense to protect themselves.

“It’s time to cut the crap and remember: This is the people’s house,” Boebert says as a rock-and-roll soundtrack plays in the background.

Critics on Twitter replied to her post asking what she was implying by the gunshot sound.

“Why was there a gunshot sound at the end of the video, was that a threat to the Speaker or President Biden?” wrote David Weissman, who describes himself a “former Republican, former Trump supporter.”

“The deadly insurrection was only 2 months ago. Why do you want to remove the perimeter around the Capitol so soon?” wrote another Twitter user, Jo.

The video makes no mention of the Capitol attack, in which Trump supporters and other right-wing extremists overwhelmed security and hunted down Pelosi and former Vice President Mike Pence.

Rep. Lauren Boebert (R-CO), participates in a discussion on the Right to Bear Arms during the Conservative Political Action Conference held in the Hyatt Regency on February 27, 2021 in Orlando, Florida. (Joe Raedle/)

Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin on Tuesday approved a Capitol Police request to keep National Guard soldiers at the building for two-and-a-half more months, amid ongoing threats of extremist violence.

In Boebert’s ad, she compares the fencing around the Capitol with former President Donald Trump’s signature wall along the southern border, which he claimed Mexico would bankroll.

The Colorado congresswoman praises Trump for erecting the border wall, which she says proves he “loves America.” She derides Democrats as hypocrites in the video, for opposing that wall while supporting measures to secure the Capitol.

 

 

  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, gurn said:

Some people are slow learners.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/politics/pro-trump-rep-lauren-boebert-includes-gunshot-sound-in-attack-ad-against-house-speaker-nancy-pelosi/ar-BB1esmX6?ocid=msedgntp

A pro-Trump congresswoman is getting online blowback for including the sound of a gunshot in an attack ad against House Speaker Nancy Pelosi.

Rep. Lauren Boebert (R-Colo.) shared the ad on social media Monday mocking Pelosi over Capitol security measures, and ended the 1-minute clip with the sound of a weapon being cocked and reloaded.

 

“Madam Speaker, tear down this wall,” Boebert snaps in the ad as she walks by fences that were erected around the building after the Jan. 6 riot.

Dubbing the fence-ringed Capitol “Fort Pelosi,” Boebert accuses Democrats of sparing no expense to protect themselves.

“It’s time to cut the crap and remember: This is the people’s house,” Boebert says as a rock-and-roll soundtrack plays in the background.

Critics on Twitter replied to her post asking what she was implying by the gunshot sound.

“Why was there a gunshot sound at the end of the video, was that a threat to the Speaker or President Biden?” wrote David Weissman, who describes himself a “former Republican, former Trump supporter.”

“The deadly insurrection was only 2 months ago. Why do you want to remove the perimeter around the Capitol so soon?” wrote another Twitter user, Jo.

The video makes no mention of the Capitol attack, in which Trump supporters and other right-wing extremists overwhelmed security and hunted down Pelosi and former Vice President Mike Pence.

Rep. Lauren Boebert (R-CO), participates in a discussion on the Right to Bear Arms during the Conservative Political Action Conference held in the Hyatt Regency on February 27, 2021 in Orlando, Florida. (Joe Raedle/)

Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin on Tuesday approved a Capitol Police request to keep National Guard soldiers at the building for two-and-a-half more months, amid ongoing threats of extremist violence.

In Boebert’s ad, she compares the fencing around the Capitol with former President Donald Trump’s signature wall along the southern border, which he claimed Mexico would bankroll.

The Colorado congresswoman praises Trump for erecting the border wall, which she says proves he “loves America.” She derides Democrats as hypocrites in the video, for opposing that wall while supporting measures to secure the Capitol.

 

 

Nothing this person does can surprise me anymore. Apparently she thinks the treatment for a drug overdose is to shoot the victim. She wants to be ready for the next one.

Controversial GOP rep. Lauren Boebert claims she started carrying a gun after a man was beaten to death behind her restaurant. He actually died of a drug overdose.

 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

I know it securities fraud that will likely get a slap on the wrist if anything by how is Paxton still AG in Texas?

 

 

No time for trivial things like securities fraud (or Covid relief).....

 

The Democrats are cancelling the Cat in the Hat! :frantic:

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

No time for trivial things like securities fraud (or Covid relief).....

 

The Democrats are cancelling the Cat in the Hat! :frantic:

And it isn't even the Democrats doing that, it is the rights owners of the books.

But why let reality get in the way.

  • Hydration 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, gurn said:

And it isn't even the Democrats doing that, it is the rights owners of the books.

But why let reality get in the way.

Word is Antifa terrorists were threatening the family to get Woke.

  • Hydration 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, gurn said:

And it isn't even the Democrats doing that, it is the rights owners of the books.

But why let reality get in the way.

Yeah....I was channeling my inner Tucker Carlson....

 

I even threw on a bow tie and a gormless look on my face....

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • DonLever changed the title to USA Politics/Election Thread: California Gov. Newsom Defeats Recall Referendum

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...