Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

USA Politics/Election Thread: California Gov. Newsom Defeats Recall Referendum


Recommended Posts

59 minutes ago, Roger Rabby said:

The Biden team also seems to support Trump tariffs as it apparently creates jobs in the United States. 

 

 

 

wasn't that something when Trump invented tariffs? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

 

wasn't that something when Trump invented tariffs? 

Adolf Hitler used the same tactic to grow the German economy. American tariffs on steel and aluminum may create jobs but it probably takes millions of Americans out of the housing market. 

Link to post
Share on other sites


Cudos to Jim Clyburn for pointing out the obvious to Joe Manchin. Here is an excerpt from the article:
 

Rep. Jim Clyburn (D-S.C.), the third-highest ranking House Democrat, lashed out at Manchin over his position on the filibuster and the For the People Act in an interview with HuffPost last week.

"I'm insulted when he tells me that it's more important to maintain a relationship with the minority in the U.S. Senate than it is for you to maintain a relationship with the minority of voters in America," Clyburn said. "That's insulting to me."

"Since when do [the minority party's] rights take precedence over your fellow Democrat [Sen. Raphael] Warnock, who saw his state just pass laws to keep him from getting reelected?" Clyburn continued. "And you're going to say it's more important for you to protect 50 Republicans in the Senate than for you to protect your fellow Democrat's seat in Georgia. That's a bunch of crap."

 

 
 
Partial list of Biden agenda items that are toast in the Senate if the filibuster remains: • $15 minimum wage • Universal gun background checks • Dream Act • “For The People” Act • John Lewis voting rights act • ACA public option • Equality Act • George Floyd police bill

 
Jon Favreau
 
@jonfavs
· 16h
Someone should ask Joe Manchin which 10 Republicans he’s bringing along on his bipartisan version of the For the People Act. If he wants to play Prime Minister, show us the version of the legislation that gets 60 votes, and then go get them. https://washingtonpost.com/opinions/joe-manchin-filibuster-vote/2021/04/07/cdbd53c6-97da-11eb-a6d0-13d207aadb78_story.html


 


 

 

  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Roger Rabby said:

Adolf Hitler used the same tactic to grow the German economy. American tariffs on steel and aluminum may create jobs but it probably takes millions of Americans out of the housing market. 

 

the only problem with that comp is Trumps tariffs didn't create any jobs. 

  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Roger Rabby said:

According to Gina Raimondo they did and she works for Biden. 

 

not sure why you're trying so hard to tie Biden and Trump together via tariffs. The democrats have always had protectionist elements to it. 

 

Trumps metal tariffs likely created more GDP for Canada than it did for the US.

  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

 

not sure why you're trying so hard to tie Biden and Trump together via tariffs. The democrats have always had protectionist elements to it. 

 

Trumps metal tariffs likely created more GDP for Canada than it did for the US.

I'm not attempting anything I was asked to explain and I offered up the woman in charge who made the comments. You said the tariffs didn't create jobs she said they did. I hope it did benefit Canada but you likely are not accurate given how hard the Canadian government fought against those tariffs. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Roger Rabby said:

I'm not attempting anything I was asked to explain and I offered up the woman in charge who made the comments. You said the tariffs didn't create jobs she said they did. I hope it did benefit Canada but you likely are not accurate given how hard the Canadian government fought against those tariffs. 

 

they "created" a few thousand steel jobs, and lost the US jobs and money elsewhere. They were a dumb stunt to appease major Trump donors.

 

Can you post the info you're talking about? 

  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

 

not sure why you're trying so hard to tie Biden and Trump together via tariffs. The democrats have always had protectionist elements to it. 

 

Trumps metal tariffs likely created more GDP for Canada than it did for the US.


Many of us who supported Biden fully recognized there would be issues that we would disagree on. As has been said here many times Biden was the right choice at the time.

 

Gina Raimondo did make these comments, although I would argue that like a poker game I wouldn’t expect her to just fold her hand and announce the removal of all tariffs re China.

 

In addition I don’t support the tariffs against the the UK that are being discussed.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

 

they "created" a few thousand steel jobs, and lost the US jobs and money elsewhere. They were a dumb stunt to appease major Trump donors.

 

Can you post the info you're talking about? 

WASHINGTON — U.S. Commerce Secretary Gina Raimondo said on Wednesday that tariffs imposed during the Trump administration have “helped save American jobs in steel and aluminum industries.”

“What do we do with tariffs? We have to level the playing field,” Raimondo said at a White House briefing. “China’s actions are uncompetitive, coercive, underhanded — they’ve proven they’ll do whatever it takes.”

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/financialpost.com/pmn/business-pmn/u-s-commerce-chief-metals-tariffs-helped-save-some-u-s-jobs/wcm/55721e79-0478-404e-aea2-d719a3bf8073/amp/

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, 4petesake said:


Many of us who supported Biden fully recognized there would be issues that we would disagree on. As has been said here many times Biden was the right choice at the time.

 

Gina Raimondo did make these comments, although I would argue that like a poker game I wouldn’t expect her to just fold her hand and announce the removal of all tariffs re China.

 

In addition I don’t support the tariffs against the the UK that are being discussed.

it does sound like its more China posturing than anything, that and throwing a bone to unions. Its ultimately a bad idea tho as it hurts so many other industries. 

 

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/02/business/economy/biden-aluminum-tariffs.html

 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Roger Rabby said:

I'm not saying tariffs are a good thing. I was surprised to hear her say that.

 

why? democrats and unions often go to protectionism. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, 4petesake said:


Many of us who supported Biden fully recognized there would be issues that we would disagree on. As has been said here many times Biden was the right choice at the time.

 

Gina Raimondo did make these comments, although I would argue that like a poker game I wouldn’t expect her to just fold her hand and announce the removal of all tariffs re China.

 

In addition I don’t support the tariffs against the the UK that are being discussed.

Pretty much politics in a nutshell. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

 

why? democrats and unions often go to protectionism. 

Imo the Republicans do just as much if not more. 

What suprises me is she essentially is supporting Trump policies which many Democrats campaigned against. 

As far as tariffs all it does is hurt the lower and middle class. 

Great you kept your job but you can't afford to buy a house or new car.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Roger Rabby said:

Imo the Republicans do just as much if not more. 

What suprises me is she essentially is supporting Trump policies which many Democrats campaigned against. 

As far as tariffs all it does is hurt the lower and middle class. 

Great you kept your job but you can't afford to buy a house or new car.

I don't know that we can label tariffs "Trump policies" tho. He didn't invent things, and democrats have been using them for decades too. 

 

As far as China goes, they'll need every tool they have to deal with Xi.

 

I think more than anything the article you posted shows that the Biden admin will be very pro-union. 

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

I don't know that we can label tariffs "Trump policies" tho. He didn't invent things, and democrats have been using them for decades too. 

 

As far as China goes, they'll need every tool they have to deal with Xi.

 

I think more than anything the article you posted shows that the Biden admin will be very pro-union. 

At least Sanders will be happy. :)

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Roger Rabby said:

At least Sanders will be happy. :)

Everyone should be happy.  Unions protect workers

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • DonLever changed the title to USA Politics/Election Thread: California Gov. Newsom Defeats Recall Referendum

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...