DonLever

USA Politics/Election Thread: House Impeaches Trump for 2nd Time

Now we know.  The Senate GOP was not in favour of the deal Pelosi and the White House were "working on".

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/521225-mcconnell-shoots-down-18-trillion-coronavirus-deal-breaking-with-trump

McConnell shoots down $1.8 trillion coronavirus deal, breaking with Trump

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

Now we know.  The Senate GOP was not in favour of the deal Pelosi and the White House were "working on".

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/521225-mcconnell-shoots-down-18-trillion-coronavirus-deal-breaking-with-trump

Welp, hello stock market crash. 

22 minutes ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

I don’t buy it. It was Trump himself speaking out against spending more but changed his public opinion after blowback. 
This way he gets his way and McConnell gets the blame   

• Hydration 1

Over the course of almost 4000 pages, several stories have come up that are at odds with Trump supporters' claims that he is "a man of the people", "looking out for the little guy", etc...

Here's another:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/14/us/politics/stock-market-coronavirus-trump.html

On the afternoon of Feb. 24, President Trump declared on Twitter that the coronavirus was “very much under control” in the United States, one of numerous rosy statements that he and his advisers made at the time about the worsening epidemic. He even added an observation for investors: “Stock market starting to look very good to me!”

But hours earlier, senior members of the president’s economic team, privately addressing board members of the conservative Hoover Institution, were less confident. Tomas J. Philipson, a senior economic adviser to the president, told the group he could not yet estimate the effects of the virus on the American economy. To some in the group, the implication was that an outbreak could prove worse than Mr. Philipson and other Trump administration advisers were signaling in public at the time.

The next day, board members — many of them Republican donors — got another taste of government uncertainty from Larry Kudlow, the director of the National Economic Council. Hours after he had boasted on CNBC that the virus was contained in the United States and “it’s pretty close to airtight,” Mr. Kudlow delivered a more ambiguous private message. He asserted that the virus was “contained in the U.S., to date, but now we just don’t know,” according to a document describing the sessions obtained by The New York Times.

The document, written by a hedge fund consultant who attended the three-day gathering of Hoover’s board, was stark. “What struck me,” the consultant wrote, was that nearly every official he heard from raised the virus “as a point of concern, totally unprovoked.”

The consultant’s assessment quickly spread through parts of the investment world. U.S. stocks were already spiraling because of a warning from a federal public health official that the virus was likely to spread, but traders spotted the immediate significance: The president’s aides appeared to be giving wealthy party donors an early warning of a potentially impactful contagion at a time when Mr. Trump was publicly insisting that the threat was nonexistent.

Interviews with eight people who either received copies of the memo or were briefed on aspects of it as it spread among investors in New York and elsewhere provide a glimpse of how elite traders had access to information from the administration that helped them gain financial advantage during a chaotic three days when global markets were teetering.

More in the link.

To be clear, what happened might not have been technically illegal, (insider trading) but what it boils down to is that trump was telling "the common people" that everything was "in control", he was telling the rich scumbags who donate to his party something else entirely.

The MAGA crowd should be outraged at this, but my guess is that they won't. That's the thing about being part of a cult....you don't even know you're in one....

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 3

19 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

It probably won’t happen (car wrecks like Trump are just too entertaining for people not to watch), but I hope Biden’s town hall beats Trump’s in the ratings.

Donald would lose his mind (or what’s left of it, anyway) if that happened.

Trump can handle bad polls, and losing to Biden on pretty much every category, but if he actually lost the TV ratings war, that would be such a huge blow to his ego.

More people will probably watch the car wreck. Even if they don't and Biden gets more viewers, DT will challenge the numbers. Fake news and all that.

I saw a show recently about Twitter comedians. One was recalling making Don lose his mind when he corrected Trump on his claim that The Apprentice was the number one rated show one night. The comedian wasn't even making a joke, he just posted the ratings showing Trump's show was actually 4th. 

• Hydration 2

https://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2020/10/bill-barr-buries-report-that-exonerates-obama/

Bill Barr Buries Report That Exonerates Obama

In the pantheon of Republican pseudo-scandals, “unmasking” has always been one of the dumbest. National security officials routinely ask the intelligence community to “unmask” names that have been redacted in raw reports so they can get a better idea of who’s doing what to whom, and the Obama administration did this just like every other administration. Republicans, however, have insisted for years that Susan Rice and others used unmasking requests as cover for a campaign against Michael Flynn, and naturally they demanded an investigation. Just as naturally, Bill Barr gave them what they wanted.

Sadly for Republicans, the investigation turned up nothing. That’s not surprising, and neither is this:

Bash’s team was focused not just on unmasking, but also on whether Obama-era officials provided information to reporters, according to people familiar with the probe, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss a sensitive investigation. But the findings ultimately turned over to Barr fell short of what Trump and others might have hoped, and the attorney general’s office elected not to release them publicly, the people familiar with the matter said. The Washington Post was unable to review the full results of what Bash found.

The investigation basically exonerated the Obama team and probably would have hurt Donald Trump’s reelection, so Barr decided to keep it under wraps. This is how the Justice Department works these days: it’s a PR shop for Donald Trump, not an independent agency serving the best interests of the American public. Hopefully that will change in a few months.

• Hydration 4

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-election-2020/giuliani-russia-trump-misinformation-white-house-b1059631.html?utm_source=reddit.com

White House was told Russia targeted Giuliani to feed misinformation to Trump, report says

The White House was warned by US intelligence agencies last year that Rudolph Giuliani was targetted by Russia to feed misinformation to Donald Trump.

Reporting by The Washington Post, based on information from four former officials familiar with the matter, says that the president’s personal lawyer interacted with individuals tied to Russian intelligence during his December 2019 visit to Ukraine.

The warnings from the intelligence services to the White House led national security adviser Robert O’Brien to caution Trump that information brought back from Ukraine by Mr Giuliani should be considered contaminated by Russia, according to one of the officials.

Mr Giuliani visited Ukraine to gather information that he thought would implicate Joe Biden and his son Hunter in corrupt acts.

The Post reports one of the sources as saying that message back to the White House was: “Do what you want to do, but your friend Rudy has been worked by Russian assets in Ukraine."

Officials wanted to protect the president at a time when he was facing impeachment over attempts to lean on Ukraine’s president to investigate the Bidens and the gas company Burisma.

The president’s response to the warning was allegedly: “That’s Rudy."

Warning about Mr Giuliani highlight that Russia is again looking to influence US elections and this time may be, unwittingly or not, helped by people close to the president.

Mr Giuliani was not under surveillance by the US while in Ukraine, but interacted with Russian assets who were, leading to the capture of any communication between them.

The Post says that Mr Giuliani was not informed that he was dealing with a Russian intelligence asset when he met with Andriy Derkach, a pro-Russian Ukrainian lawmaker. He met with him twice, once in Kyiv and once in New York, describing him as “very helpful”.

• Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

More people will probably watch the car wreck. Even if they don't and Biden gets more viewers, DT will challenge the numbers. Fake news and all that.

I saw a show recently about Twitter comedians. One was recalling making Don lose his mind when he corrected Trump on his claim that The Apprentice was the number one rated show one night. The comedian wasn't even making a joke, he just posted the ratings showing Trump's show was actually 4th. 

I know the kids don’t really watch normal TV any more, but I wish the Tiktok generation would jump onto this.

Getting Biden an insane viewership count, several multiples higher than Trump’s, would be so satisfying.

And the tweet storm afterwards would be just as enjoyable. Donnie would probably be hitting the Adderall hard, pulling an allnighter tweeting out excuses for why he lost. :lol:

• Hydration 3

1 minute ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I wish the Tiktok generation would jump onto this.

We need the some K-Pop power.

Someone call BTS, if they are not too busy pissing off China. 

• Haha 2

Whole sh!t... this reporter  is beating Trump down to tiny tiny man he actually is. Not an inch of bull$&!# allowed.... sooo refreshing. 

Getting slain by voters questions...

Who the fck on Trumps campaign thought this would be a good idea...

Who the fck on the Dem side thought this would be a bad idea...

Lol... carry on Mr President.. please!

What a disaster of a human being 

Edited by Canorth
  • Thanks 2

That's why Im watching Biden.Trump is just so damn annoying to listen to.

3 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

More than 100 Hollywood stars demand NBC move Trump town hall set for Thursday night

https://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/hollywood-stars-demand-nbc-move-trump-town-hall-1.5763399

...or else what? you'll all move to Canada?

I don't like that NBC is doing the town hall debate at the same time as Bidens but I don't care what 'Hollywood stars' think much these days. 

The irony of hollywood stars being upset at a guy who has a star on the walk of fame is fun

• Haha 1

LOL!

Reporter: "how might you improve in your next term"

Trump: "I've done a great job.. Next year is going to be better than ever"

The guy can't give anything of substance.

• Hydration 1

14 minutes ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

Many people are saying Guthrie is a libby dem deep state operative.

Many more people are saying that she is a spot on, legit, strong female reporter who had her foot on the back of Trumps neck throughout.

• Hydration 2

30 minutes ago, blaise said:

That's why Im watching Biden.Trump is just so damn annoying to listen to.

And absolutely blasted out of his mind. 

• Hydration 1

5 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

LOL!

Reporter: "how might you improve in your next term"

Trump: "I've done a great job.. Next year is going to be better than ever"

The guy can't give anything of substance.

My favourite. “CDC has said that 85% of people who where masks get Covid...” yup masks are dangerous....

Also, Guthrie asked him to denounce Qanon. She explained to him that Q is an organization that promotes the conspiracy that Dems are a society of pizza basement baby blood drinking child rapists and believe that trump is the chosen one to take them down.... Trump says “I don’t know anything about them. But, I do know they are strongly against pediphelia”

To who ever on the Trump Campaign thought this was a good idea... Thank you!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2