The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

USA Politics/Election Thread: Joe Biden, 46th President/ Gov. Cuomo Sexually Harassed Women Says Report

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

But corporations wouldn't?

Well they adhere to labour laws. Taxpayer-funded positions could have wages cut drastically without unions in place.

5 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

Pardon, you lost me with these statements.

I can't really respond to this as I'm not really sure what you were saying haha

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

I think we do a decent job with keeping workplaces safe, but not enough to ensure that workers make a living wage and we certainly don't tax large corporations nearly enough........or even enforce the current tax rate

Okay then we can agree that maybe there needs to be more work done as far as labour laws go. As for the livable wage part most unionized jobs do not pay as well as the private sector does. As for taxation on corporations you may be right but I think after coronavirus it would be a difficult time to raise them.

1 minute ago, Hamhuis Hip Check said:

Its not always about having the laws, but about having someone on your side to help you fight.

I'm pretty sure the Labor Board is supposed to be a body that is on the workers side

2 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

If enough companies really cared and valued their employees and shared their success with the people who were instrumental in it, unions wouldn’t need to exist. Most people who work hard and care about their jobs, are rewarded accordingly, and are treated with respect probably have little interest in unionization.

Sure there are lots of problems with unions but I get tired of seeing hard working honest people falling behind.

Obviously I agree with you on the last part. I will say not all companies are filthy rich and taking advantage of their employees. That being said maybe we should look at implementing laws or something along those lines that punishes businesses that do this.

48 minutes ago, Roger Rabby said:

Well they adhere to labour laws. Taxpayer-funded positions could have wages cut drastically without unions in place.

I can't really respond to this as I'm not really sure what you were saying haha

Okay then we can agree that maybe there needs to be more work done as far as labour laws go. As for the livable wage part most unionized jobs do not pay as well as the private sector does. As for taxation on corporations you may be right but I think after coronavirus it would be a difficult time to raise them.

I'm pretty sure the Labor Board is supposed to be a body that is on the workers side

Supposed to be, but its extremely easy for a big company to push the limits if they dont have someone to fight against them. A union free environment is a privilege companies need to earn by treating their employees better, and in my experience most companies do not deserve that privilege 

• Hydration 2

It's remarkably sad how frequently new accounts pop up make 1-2 posts in another area of the forum then beeline here with essentially the exact same arguments as always from the exact same points of view.

You'd think an adult would have better things to do than tempt the green parrot but....what do I know.  I was just reading Calgary Puck posts

• Thanks 1
  • Hydration 1
8 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Love the Python reference, but who's Trevor Jones? :unsure:

The site I sourced the lyrics from cited Trevor Jones and Eric Idle as writers of the galaxy song.

Further research cites  John Du Prez and Eric Idle as writers of the song.

• Hydration 2
13 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

The site I sourced the lyrics from cited Trevor Jones and Eric Idle as writers of the galaxy song.

Bishopshodan pointed out earlier Trevor Jones changed his name to John Du Prez, so turns out you were not wrong.

• Hydration 2
22 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

Yeah, I just got home and found this...

https://greatsong.net/PAROLES-MONTY-PYTHON,GALAXY-SONG,100079889.html

Trevor Jones is listed.

• Hydration 1
2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

It's remarkably sad how frequently new accounts pop up make 1-2 posts in another area of the forum then beeline here with essentially the exact same arguments as always from the exact same points of view.

You'd think an adult would have better things to do than tempt the green parrot but....what do I know.  I was just reading Calgary Puck posts

It’s what they know. It’s all they know... just like a worm eats dirt and leaves a trail of sh!t behind... can’t blame the worm... thats all it knows 

• Haha 1
38 minutes ago, Canorth said:

It’s what they know. It’s all they know... just like a worm eats dirt and leaves a trail of sh!t behind... can’t blame the worm... thats all it knows 

Been waiting for the right moment to post this movie clip:

(I watch too much TV :lol:)

• Haha 1

It appears as though Matt Gaetz has a few supporters at least.....and one of them is threatening to sue reporters for their coverage of his scandal:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/newspolitics/gaetz-tied-group-threatens-to-sue-reporters-writing-on-his-trump-relationship/ar-BB1fsdry?li=AAggNb9

A boutique conservative consultancy group working on behalf of Rep. Matt Gaetz is threatening to sue journalists for their coverage of the embattled congressman.

The entity, Logan Circle Group, is run by Harlan Hill, a former Democrat who became a top Trump surrogate during the 2016 presidential election. The official behind the recent legal threats is Erin Elmore, a colleague of Hill’s at the Washington-based consulting firm and a Season 3 contestant on “The Apprentice.”

Elmore, who has a legal degree from Villanova and has active status as an attorney in Pennsylvania, has emailed at least two reporters who have written on Gaetz, threatening them with lawsuits over their coverage of the Florida Republican. Gaetz is reportedly facing a federal probe into a potential violation of federal sex trafficking laws. But Elmore’s email took umbrage with reports that the congressman had asked then-President Donald Trump for a pardon and was currently on the outs with the 45th president.

“We are seeking an immediate print and on-air statement of retraction. Failure to comply with this request may result in litigation,” Elmore wrote in an email to a POLITICO reporter on Wednesday following the publication of an article describing the reluctance among Trump and his allies to outright defend Gaetz.

“President Trump issued a statement indicating that Congressman Gaetz has never sought a Presidential Pardon. Such a statement would also indicate that President Donald Trump has not distanced himself from Congressman Gaetz,” Elmore contended.

The Logan Circle Group declined to discuss its relationship with Gaetz specifically, but a source familiar with the arrangement confirmed they have been working for the Florida congressman. Gaetz’s congressional office did not respond to an inquiry about the group.

“Logan Circle Group is a premier political communications consultancy, and we take the privacy of our clients and colleagues extremely seriously. We represent a number of high profile clients, and we are delighted to support the work of America First candidates, Congressmen, and public figures,” said Elmore in a statement following POLITICO’s inquiry about the firm’s work for Gaetz.

The group’s entrance into the drama surrounding Gaetz underscores how the congressman is trying to fight his way through a potentially career-ending scandal rather than retreat from the political scene entirely. In addition to the legal threats, both Hill and Elmore have amplified tweets in support of Gaetz on Twitter, and Elmore has appeared on Newsmax to discuss and defend Gaetz.

“Everyone in America whether you like it or not, is proven innocent until guilty,” Elmore said on Newsmax.

The bolded sentence lays out the rationale for the threatened litigation: Basically, they're calling "Fake News!" on the reporting that Trump has been reluctant to defend Gaetz, pointing to Trump's statement that Gaetz never asked for a blanket pardon. (This "proves" they say, that Gaetz indeed didn't request the pardon and that Trump's public statement to that effect, shows that he has not abandoned Gaetz)

Let's forget for a moment that this statement is coming from the biggest liar on the planet, it also doesn't necessarily mean that Gaetz never requested the pardon. In the last few weeks of the Trump administration, (when he was pardoning criminals who were loyal to him) there was a lot of reporting about people requesting pardons of their own, but doing so through channels, rather than directly from POTUS himself.

I would say that it's unlikely that Gaetz wouldn't have been able to appeal to Trump in person, because of his stature as one of the elite bootlickers in politics, but the fact that back channel pardons exist, I believe is enough to show that Trump's statement of "support" proves exactly nothing and that this lawsuit (if it's actually ever filed) will go nowhere.

• Hydration 2
1 hour ago, johngould21 said:

Does Matt Gaetz not look like he could be related to Don Jr., or the other one? Striking similarities.

Who, these guys?

spacer.png

No doubt about it

• Haha 4

Hopefully, we'll get a more recent photo of "Mugshot" Matt fairly soon:

Sherry Lucich - Black Lives Matter✊ on Twitter: "This is also Republican  Matt Getz in his booking mugshot for a DUI in 2008.  https://t.co/zhpeuo20QA… "

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/matt-gaetz-mug-shot/

It was the night before Halloween in 2008 when Gaetz, then 26, drove back from the Swamp, a nightclub on Okaloosa Island. He drove a 2001 BMW SUV registered to his state senator dad.

Near midnight, Okaloosa County Deputy Chris Anglin clocked Gaetz going 48 in a 35 mph zone. Anglin later reported that Gaetz fumbled for his license and registration, his eyes were watery and bloodshot, and he swayed and staggered when he got out of the car.

Smelling alcohol, Anglin asked Gaetz if he had been drinking. Gaetz replied no. Minutes later, he admitted he had consumed two beers. Twice, Anglin conducted an eye test. Twice, Gaetz’s eyes didn’t follow the prompt. Gaetz, who had recently begun practicing law, declined any field sobriety tests. He was arrested and refused the breath test.

A controversy ensued when charges against Gaetz, whose father was a member of the Florida State Senate at the time, were dropped and his license was reinstated. This occurred despite a Florida law requiring a year-long suspension for refusing to take a breathalyzer test. According to the Tampa Bay Times, “A field officer for the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles declared there was no evidence that Gaetz refused a breath test. Yet the refusal was clearly documented in [the arresting officer’s] affidavit and arrest report.”

The arresting officer, Okaloosa County Deputy Chris Anglin, resigned a month after the Gaetz arrest under pressure from his superiors, who cited disciplinary issues. The question of whether Gaetz’s father’s political connections played an improper role in these outcomes has dogged Gaetz for years. Gaetz, for his part, has dismissed such allegations as “tabloid journalism.”

Edit: The bar was called "The Swamp". You can't make this stuff up.....:lol:

Edited by RUPERTKBD
  • Hydration 2
20 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Been waiting for the right moment to post this movie clip:

(I watch too much TV :lol:)

when my daughter was about 6 our old dog died.  Living a farming life, rather than bury him, we loaded his 150 lb body on the flatdeck, went up on the range, said our goodbyes and rolled him off into the bush.  My daughter asked why and I told her it was the circle of life and that coyotes need to eat too.

• Hydration 1

Funny how the crowd that was railing on "cancel culture" ad nauseum when the Dr. Seuss thingy happened are now up in arms over the who Georgia mess.  Naming companies that have criticized the laws and then their followers going on calls for boycott.

• Vintage 1
  • DonLever changed the title to USA Politics/Election Thread: Joe Biden, 46th President/ Gov. Cuomo Sexually Harassed Women Says Report