The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

USA Politics/Election Thread: Joe Biden, 46th President of the US

59 minutes ago, canuckster19 said:

Why should that compromise journalistic integrity?

Factual reporting of a moron continually saying moronic things is still factual. When anyone can independently match the words out of Trumps mouth with what is being reported, how is that compromising journalistic integrity? Sure, it may seem that the media is slanted against him, but Trump consistently drives this perceived bias by lying, boasting, attacking, scamming or stepping on his/staff/experts statements and opinions. Like it or not, it’s all news and 9 times out of 10 he makes sure it is.

Edited by Canorth
  • Like 1
  • Hydration 1
1 hour ago, Canorth said:

Factual reporting of a moron continually saying moronic things is still factual. When anyone can independently match the words out of Trumps mouth with what is being reported, how is that compromising journalistic integrity? Sure, it may seem that the media is slanted against him, but Trump consistently drives this perceived bias by lying, boasting, attacking, scamming or stepping on his/staff/experts statements and opinions. Like it or not, it’s all news and 9 times out of 10 he makes sure it is.

I have no problem with the truth, but it’s obvious even on this forum that inconvenient truths are shot down by those who virtue signal. That being said I haven’t paid much attention to what’s going on with Trump lately, what little I do know mostly comes from John Oliver, my comment is more in general. IMO journalists today like to sugar and salt facts with opinion in between, that in itself is a degradation of integrity. At least with John Oliver you know what you’re getting.

• Hydration 1

I think the problem for those who lament the loss of "journalistic integrity", is that they view the situation in an outdated way. Having the news "just report the facts", harkens back to the day when we tuned in at 6:00 and 11:00 pm and Walter Cronkite, or Lloyd Robertson would read us the news of the day.

Those days are gone.

Now the news is a 24/7 business and there's only so much "factual reporting" that can go into a 24 hour news cycle. The news outlets have to fill the time and they do so with news "analysis". This is where the bias comes in. Trump sucks on CNN and MSNBC....Trump is the greatest president ever on Fox and the Drudge Report. The problem isn't so much with the news outlets as it is with people who watch the opinion/analysis programs on these networks and expect "news".

If you want the news and only the news, my suggestion is that you ignore news outlets until 6:00 pm, or get a subscription to the Sun....

• Hydration 1
24 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I think the problem for those who lament the loss of "journalistic integrity", is that they view the situation in an outdated way. Having the news "just report the facts", harkens back to the day when we tuned in at 6:00 and 11:00 pm and Walter Cronkite, or Lloyd Robertson would read us the news of the day.

Those days are gone.

Now the news is a 24/7 business and there's only so much "factual reporting" that can go into a 24 hour news cycle. The news outlets have to fill the time and they do so with news "analysis". This is where the bias comes in. Trump sucks on CNN and MSNBC....Trump is the greatest president ever on Fox and the Drudge Report. The problem isn't so much with the news outlets as it is with people who watch the opinion/analysis programs on these networks and expect "news".

If you want the news and only the news, my suggestion is that you ignore news outlets until 6:00 pm, or get a subscription to the Sun....

This.  And checking articles from multiple outlets.   They are competitors and if one outlet is publishing factually incorrect information it is hard to believe they would all publish similar things. 

• Upvote 3
1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Those days are gone.

I'm not sure they ever really existed. 

Bad reporting from one side doesn't make the other side correct. But thats how the sides seem to want to use information now. If Don Lemon says something dumb that doesn't make Trump more correct. 

Its very clear what Trump is. 100-200,000 Americans are projected to die from covid19, and he actually spends press time talking about his personal approval ratings. Its just vile on its own merits. But the people that like Trump want it that way too, they actually enjoy his antics. 

I know we're polarized a bit up here, but I look at how the US is acting and just thank the stars that we aren't there yet. The coordination and communication we're seeing between our feds and provinces is something we will be able to look back on and be proud of i think, and it will save lives too. 

• Thanks 2
  • Hydration 1

@Jimmy McGill: Here's an article I found that might just make you feel a little better about the Bernie vs Biden thing:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/us-election-2020/how-never-bernie-voters-threw-in-with-biden-and-changed-the-primary/ar-BB121kOf?li=AAggNb9

Jane King, a financial investor from Boston who describes herself as progressive, began the presidential primary as an avowed supporter of Senator Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts. But as Ms. Warren’s candidacy seemed to fade early this year, Ms. King looked elsewhere.

She considered Michael R. Bloomberg, Ms. Warren’s electoral nemesis. She thought about Pete Buttigieg, another moderate. Ultimately, in the Massachusetts primary that was a must-win for Ms. Warren, Ms. King voted for former Vice President Joseph R. Biden Jr.

She was simply trying to be strategic, Ms. King admits: She was willing to do whatever was necessary to stop Senator Bernie Sanders of Vermont from becoming the Democratic nominee.

“I didn’t want Bernie to beat Elizabeth in her own backyard. But then, it became much more complicated than that,” said Ms. King, 70. “Are we going to have a nominee who could take on the Republican Party? We have to stop Bernie.”

Rarely has political momentum flipped as quickly as it did in the first half of March, as Mr. Sanders lost serious ground to Mr. Biden before the coronavirus slowed their race. There are well-known reasons for the shift: Moderate candidates like Mr. Buttigieg and Senator Amy Klobuchar of Minnesota rallied around Mr. Biden. He enjoyed demographic advantages, particularly with black voters. And turnout among young voters and liberal nonvoters did not surge, failing to reshape the electorate as Mr. Sanders had hoped.

But beyond ideology, race and turnout, a chief reason for Mr. Biden’s success has little to do with his candidacy. He became a vehicle for Democrats like Ms. King who were supporting other candidates but found the prospect of Mr. Sanders and his calls for political revolution so distasteful that they put aside misgivings about Mr. Biden and backed him instead.

In phone interviews, dozens of Democrats, mostly aged 50 and over, who live in key March primary states like Massachusetts, Virginia, Michigan and Florida, said that Mr. Biden’s appeal went beyond his case for beating President Trump. It was his chances of overtaking Mr. Sanders, the only candidate in the vast Democratic field they found objectionable for reasons personal and political.

For some, like Amy Siegel of Natick, Mass., the anti-Sanders feeling relates back to the 2016 Democratic primary, when she supported Hillary Clinton and believed Mr. Sanders ran a divisive campaign that wounded her ahead of the general election. This time around, Ms. Siegel, 57, initially supported Mr. Buttigieg. But she voted for Mr. Biden in her state’s primary, held on Super Tuesday, days after Mr. Buttigieg dropped out and endorsed the former vice president. Ms. Siegel said she decided to flip her vote even before Mr. Buttigieg exited the race.

Others, like Beatrice Abetti of Bonita Springs, Fla., switched to Mr. Biden after Ms. Warren suspended her campaign, viewing Mr. Sanders as a general election risk. Ms. Abetti, 69, an author and former professor, said centrist Republicans she thought were critical to an Electoral College victory saw Mr. Sanders as a fringe leftist, even if she supported his policies.

“I can wait for four more years for ‘Medicare for all’ and the Green New Deal — and go with Biden — just to get Trump out of office,” Ms. Abetti said, “because that’s my number one thing.”

If this is the attitude of Democrat voters and Elizabeth Warren supporters at that, imagine the feelings of undecideds between Trump and the Democratic nominee.

(More in the link)

• Hydration 3

BTW: What does everyone think about Bone Spurs' latest line of defense:

That the Impeachment trial "distracted" him from reacting to the Coronavirus sooner....:rolleyes:

3 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

That the Impeachment trial "distracted" him from reacting to the Coronavirus sooner....:rolleyes:

Semi related, with some editing of course, I thought this was pretty funny… I don't even recall this part of the SOU, coordinating with the 2-faced Chinese government worked out wonderfully. 

7 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

A gutless turd of a human being who’ll use an excuse to get out of actually being responsible. Color me shocked. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
11 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

@Jimmy McGill: Here's an article I found that might just make you feel a little better about the Bernie vs Biden thing:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/us-election-2020/how-never-bernie-voters-threw-in-with-biden-and-changed-the-primary/ar-BB121kOf?li=AAggNb9

If this is the attitude of Democrat voters and Elizabeth Warren supporters at that, imagine the feelings of undecideds between Trump and the Democratic nominee.

(More in the link)

my concern is that "just get Trump out" won't be a powerful enough message for progressives and for younger voters. But lets wait and see who Bidens VP candidate is. If she can coalesce some of that younger/progressive vote and lay out a plan for things like student loans it might get them out to vote. 

1 minute ago, Chicken. said:

Semi related, with some editing of course, I thought this was pretty funny… I don't even recall this part of the SOU, coordinating with the 2-faced Chinese government worked out wonderfully. 

Atypical Republican buck passing. James Woods bread and butter these days. 

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Upvote 1
1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

my concern is that "just get Trump out" won't be a powerful enough message for progressives and for younger voters. But lets wait and see who Bidens VP candidate is. If she can coalesce some of that younger/progressive vote and lay out a plan for things like student loans it might get them out to vote. 

Exactly. The Democrat’s myopic view of the upcoming election will hurt them. 

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

Exactly. The Democrat’s myopic view of the upcoming election will hurt them. 

its the same reason the CPC lost two elections up here, the "anyone but Trudeau" thing just isn't powerful enough on its own. People need a plan about how their lives will improve. 

I really feel for people U30 in particular. We've really screwed them over. 

11 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

That was McConnell. 

Later that same day:

“I don’t think I would have done any better had I not been impeached, okay?” Trump said. “And I think that’s a great tribute to something, maybe it’s a tribute to me, but I don’t think I would have acted any differently, or I don’t think I would have acted any faster.”

McConnell kind of goofed there, should've know Trump wouldn't say it distracted him because then he'd be admitting he isn't doing an A+ job so far. 

Just a bunch of morons slinging mud around, 190,000 US cases and counting. The poor populace down there is going to get smoked. 

• Vintage 1
5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

@nuckin_futz has provided a few excellent breakdowns of a potential head to head match up between Biden and Bone Spurs.....

...the gist being, it's Trump that has to expand his voter base, not so much Biden.

• Hydration 2
18 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

@nuckin_futz has provided a few excellent breakdowns of a potential head to head match up between Biden and Bone Spurs.....

...the gist being, it's Trump that has to expand his voter base, not so much Biden.

I'm not going to buy into any projections since the NY Times declared Hillary a lock :lol:

I do think Biden has some good VP candidates. But they each bring their own issues. To me Rice would be ideal, she's highly skilled and could step in during a crisis. But she probably doesn't excite the progressives. 

• SNuck changed the title to USA Politics/Election Thread