DonLever

USA Politics/Election Thread: Joe Biden, 46th President of the US

Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

One other thing to note:

 

Florida Governor Ron DeSantis has refused to allow Canadian cruise passengers to disembark in his state, even though he is allowing 49 Floridians on the same ship to do so. (Someone needs to explain to this idiot how the transmission of infectious diseases works)

 

This is the same asshat who refused to close his beaches during Spring Break.

 

There really is only one thing we can do.....when the Pandemic is over, (and this will happen, it's only a matter of when) Canadians should let the state of Florida know how they feel about this by never spending another cent in the state. No more Spring Break in Ft. Lauderdale, no family trips to Disney World (there's another one in Anaheim anyway).

 

Snowbirds: Find somewhere else to "migrate"....

I hear the redneck Rivera is nice. The Missouri part, not the Florida part. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I hear the redneck Rivera is nice. The Missouri part, not the Florida part. 

My suggestion would be Cuba....

  • Hydration 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, BPA said:

In response to Trump 3M declaration...

 

img GIF

I was pretty pissed off, still am, at this. But the result of retaliation is to kill innocent US citizens and we just can't be that country. We just can't become Trump. 

  • Hydration 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

I was pretty pissed off, still am, at this. But the result of retaliation is to kill innocent US citizens and we just can't be that country. We just can't become Trump. 

Agreed. Trudeau is taking the high road and it's the right thing to do, IMO.

 

As I said with Florida, all we can do is retaliate by spending our vacation dollars elsewhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

My suggestion would be Cuba....

Turks and Caicos Islands.

 

Didn't they want to be part of Canada??  

  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BPA said:

Turks and Caicos Islands.

 

Didn't they want to be part of Canada??  

I heard it was the other way around, but I wouldn't be surprised if the feeling was mutual.

 

Actually there are plenty of places in the Caribbean: T & C, Jamaica, Caymans, heck Bryan Baumler just opened a Bahamian resort that looks pretty nice.....

 

I mentioned Cuba, because I think that would get the best reaction out of those Commie hating Yanks....B)

  • Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Agreed. Trudeau is taking the high road and it's the right thing to do, IMO.

 

As I said with Florida, all we can do is retaliate by spending our vacation dollars elsewhere.

the asshole in the room is Trump, we have to remember that, not innocent people. 

  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kind of approaching military or other type of coup territory. Not saying it will happen. But in other countries it would when there is no confidence in a leader during a time of crisis. 

 

If you took Dr. Fauci out of the equation in the US. There would be no effort to take precautions at all. And for it he is getting death threats from Trump supporters. 

 

America treated it as a political issue. And are the now World's leader in infections, surpassing 2nd and 3rd combined. 

 

There's probably going to be a continued push to blame China. But once anyone sees the numbers preparing for next season.... I don't think anyone will be able to deny it.  

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

the asshole in the room is Trump, we have to remember that, not innocent people. 

If only he were the only one....

 

Even though DeSantis finally initiated a stay at home order, he is still not letting cruise ship passengers off the boat unless they live in Florida. As well, there are several other states taking the "It will blow over" response and undoubtedly making the situation worse:

 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2020/04/02/states-without-stay-home-orders-residents-celebrate-freedoms/5105303002/

 

3vhoyg.jpg

 

 

  • Hydration 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's worth noting that it isn't just Canadians who are pissed off at DeSantis and his Dear Leader:

 

Quote

On Sept. 11, 2001, a small town in Canada gave shelter and nourishment to 7,000 Americans whose flights were grounded. Now, Gov. DeSantis of Florida will not allow a few Canadian citizens to come off a cruise ship and offer shelter. I am embarrassed and infuriated...our country.

Quote

I have been embarrassed to be a citizen of the US many times since trump became president. But today might be the most embarrassing-that we strand 400 Canadians on a boat off of Florida—when Canadians welcomed us with open arms in 9/11. They fought and died for us thereafter...

Quote

Hey @RonDeSantisFL @GovRonDeSantis, you disgust me—how could you leave 400 Canadians to languish on that cruise ship??? Canadians opened their airports and homes to stranded American passengers on 9/11. The world sees your inhumanity and stupid Trump devotion. Shame on you.

Quote

Anyone who had the privilege of seeing Come From Away knows well how gently, kindly Americans were treated in the aftermath of 911. The Governor of Fl. has much to learn about being a human being and yes, for shame

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/us-withholding-n-95-masks-turning-away-canadians-on-cruises-spark-outrage-on-social-media/ar-BB12aMi0?li=AAggNb9

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BTW: For the geniuses who were praising Bone Spurs for being ahead of the curve on the Anti-Malaria drugs, not so fast:

 

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/what-have-you-got-to-lose-trump-tells-coronavirus-patients-to-try-unproven-drug/ar-BB12aZTD?li=AAggNb9

 

Quote

 

Donald Trump has continued to pressure the American public into taking an anti-malaria medication to treat Covid-19 symptoms despite the lack of evidence thus far showing the drug could have an impact.

The president's praise for the medication came again during his daily press briefing on Saturday.

"What do you have to lose?" Mr Trump said. "It's been out there for a long time. What do you have to lose? I hope they use it."

"I may take it. I have to ask my doctors," he added.

Clinical trials launched last month for hydroxychloroquine, a variant of chloroquine, but there has been no definitive study to show the drug can prevent or diminish Covid-19 symptoms. It was previously approved for use in malaria patients and to aid lupus sufferers.

The Mayo Clinic released a warning for healthcare providers last week about the dangers the drug could pose on some patients, which includes it potentially causing sudden cardiac death when taken. The European Commission also announced on Tuesday there was no proof hydroxychloroquine or chloroquine, which is also used for malaria, could treat the coronavirus.

 

 

  • Vintage 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

BTW: For the geniuses who were praising Bone Spurs for being ahead of the curve on the Anti-Malaria drugs, not so fast:

 

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/what-have-you-got-to-lose-trump-tells-coronavirus-patients-to-try-unproven-drug/ar-BB12aZTD?li=AAggNb9

 

 

Those that believe everything he says should volunteer and take it first.

 

Edited by CBH1926
  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

BTW: For the geniuses who were praising Bone Spurs for being ahead of the curve on the Anti-Malaria drugs, not so fast:

 

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/what-have-you-got-to-lose-trump-tells-coronavirus-patients-to-try-unproven-drug/ar-BB12aZTD?li=AAggNb9

 

 

We should all encourage him to give it a whirl then.  

  • Hydration 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The way DT has been purging perceived enemies and so called members of the “deep state”

Has not been seen in this country since the days of Joseph McCarthy.

  • Hydration 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I was pretty pissed off, still am, at this. But the result of retaliation is to kill innocent US citizens and we just can't be that country. We just can't become Trump. 

Agree completely, it goes against who we are.  Not only that, now is not the time to get into a trade war with a psychopath

  • Hydration 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

The way DT has been purging perceived enemies and so called members of the “deep state”

Has not been seen in this country since the days of Joseph McCarthy.

You spelt Stalin wrong

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

thats an interesting idea, but we still need to have a large number of professionals within government that do the actual work of governing, the bureaucrats for lack of a better term. There's a professional service infrastructure that keeps things humming that doesn't change much between election cycles. What worries me about the current conservative movement is they seem to want to destroy that too, when thats one of the pillars in our society that keeps the machine going. 

Where does the citizen exercise his moment of sober 2nd thought? Most of the politicians are wholefully underqualified to be managing multi billion $ budgets. As a rule they defer to the mantle of government department heads because they don't understand what they are discussing or they use these people as a foil in the event of failure. At a time I admired the French system where people were moved back and forth between government and industry to enhance their experience and knowledge. I assume some went political. Not up to speed on that and the French governments have not been terribly successful. Having experts in government is a necessity but how their role is defined and measured is unknown to me. 

 

We used to use a budgetary process to force hard decisions about where tax dollars went. Dollars in = dollars out. Conservatives used to pay homage to that concept but have now abandoned the idea. When politicians are allowed to deficit finance it lessens their accountability. Many people think they are gaining in the process. The devaluation in their dollar is not recognized and therefore the cause of their increased cost of living confused. 

 

The struggle to bring democracy and liberty back to the grassroots has to happen. I question any suggestion the government in Canada or the USA is working well. Years ago we looked at the Swiss canton system which had a lot of grassroots involvement. I have to think that when citizens make direct decisions and see the results that they will make better decisions in the future. Such a process has the capability of preserving individual liberty. I see socialism as a top down dominance by select groups who end up exploiting the people they claim to benefit.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

Where does the citizen exercise his moment of sober 2nd thought? Most of the politicians are wholefully underqualified to be managing multi billion $ budgets. As a rule they defer to the mantle of government department heads because they don't understand what they are discussing or they use these people as a foil in the event of failure. At a time I admired the French system where people were moved back and forth between government and industry to enhance their experience and knowledge. I assume some went political. Not up to speed on that and the French governments have not been terribly successful. Having experts in government is a necessity but how their role is defined and measured is unknown to me. 

 

We used to use a budgetary process to force hard decisions about where tax dollars went. Dollars in = dollars out. Conservatives used to pay homage to that concept but have now abandoned the idea. When politicians are allowed to deficit finance it lessens their accountability. Many people think they are gaining in the process. The devaluation in their dollar is not recognized and therefore the cause of their increased cost of living confused. 

 

The struggle to bring democracy and liberty back to the grassroots has to happen. I question any suggestion the government in Canada or the USA is working well. Years ago we looked at the Swiss canton system which had a lot of grassroots involvement. I have to think that when citizens make direct decisions and see the results that they will make better decisions in the future. Such a process has the capability of preserving individual liberty. I see socialism as a top down dominance by select groups who end up exploiting the people they claim to benefit.  

the sober part isn't that hard to accomplish - every government job has a list of required expertise and experience to hold the position, and all the managers undergo performance evaluations. That part isn't hard at all. 

 

What worries me is that grassroots movements often tend to really underestimate at best, demonize at worst, the "lazy government worker" and they don't realize how much capacity inertia they'd be killing until its too late and realize in hindsight that we lost a lot of good people and capacity for nothing. Just look at the results of Trump cutting "Obamas" pandemic team. 

 

If you want and example of working well, just look at the coordination and results so far on the covid fight in Canada, none of that happens without a strong public sector. 

 

I'm not saying the public sector gets a blank cheque, or can be let off the hook on accountability at all, either or that we have to continue to ring up debt to have a strong public service, we don't. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

An article from a week ago. 

A longtime Republican fundraiser sent an email to his clients on Thursday abruptly announcing that he would no longer be working for them.



 

The reason: He saw an opportunity to capitalize on the coronavirus response.

 

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/27/republican-fundraiser-company-coronavirus-

152184

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...