The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

USA Politics/Election Thread: Joe Biden, 46th President of the US

Another one late Wednesday bites the dust.  Based on previous rulings and team TRUMP withdrawing challenges to others meant this ruling was over 69 ballots.  69.  TRUMP is down 80,000 in the state.  Even if team TRUMP won to get all the ballots that were previously ruled on, that they withdrew, or that were ultimately ruled on in this case, Biden would still be up over 78,000.  Team TRUMP's math is way way way way way way way way off.

https://lawandcrime.com/2020-election/absolutely-no-allegations-of-any-fraud-pa-court-rejects-trump-campaigns-appeal-over-69-mail-in-ballots/

‘Absolutely No Allegations of Any Fraud’: Pa. Court Rejects Trump Campaign’s Appeal Over 69 Mail-In Ballots

• Vintage 1

I'm sure this will come as a surprise to no-one, but the Supreme Court has sided with religious institutions that objected to restrictions imposed by Andrew Cuomo:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/us/supreme-court-sides-with-religious-groups-in-new-york-in-a-dispute-over-covid-restrictions/ar-BB1bnfQq?li=AAggNb9

In a 5-4 ruling, the US Supreme Court sided with religious organizations in a dispute over Covid-19 restrictions put in place by New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo limiting the number of people attending religious services.

The case is the latest pitting religious groups against city and state officials seeking to stop the spread of Covid-19, and it highlights the impact of Justice Amy Coney Barrett on the court. The decision comes as coronavirus cases surge across the country.

In the late-night decision, Barrett sided with her conservative colleagues in the dispute, while Chief Justice John Roberts joined the three liberal justices in dissent.

My first inclination is that if people want to expose themselves to a deadly virus in the name of religious "freedom", then "let God sort 'em out" as the saying goes.....however, as someone who as a child was dragged to church every Sunday by my well meaning parents, I wouldn't want to wish this on those who have no choice in the matter....For that reason, I'm disappointed by the Court's short-sightedness.

One thing that really made me shake my head was the opinion written by Neil Gorsuch:

Justice Neil Gorsuch wrote his own concurrence -- joined by no other justice -- to explain his vote.

He said that other businesses such as bicycle repair shops, did not have similar restrictions.

"So, at least according to the Governor, it may be unsafe to go to church, but it is always fine to pick up another bottle of wine" or "shop for a new bike," Gorsuch wrote.

I hope I don't have to point out the difference between stopping by the liquor store to buy a bottle of wine, or buying a new bike, and sitting in an enclosed space with dozens (or hundreds) of other people for an hour. For some reason, the difference seems to be lost on a Supreme Court Justice. :rolleyes:

• Hydration 4
2 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I hope I don't have to point out the difference between stopping by the liquor store to buy a bottle of wine, or buying a new bike, and sitting in an enclosed space with dozens (or hundreds) of other people for an hour. For some reason, the difference seems to be lost on a Supreme Court Justice.

I'm always stunned that in this day and age organised religions have such a hold on people. 

From what I understand, you don't need to go  into a big old building to know god. I'm pretty sure the idea is that she is omnipotent. She'll hear you even if you have to pray at home. 

• Hydration 1
40 minutes ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

What a clown show.  My guess is that this exemplifies the reasons why she was dumped by team TRUMP.  Quality people working on behalf of TRUMP.  YOu would think that such important lawsuits wouldn't be filled with errors.  Given the track record so far, it seems par for the course.

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/527679-ex-trump-lawyer-sidney-powell-files-typo-filled-lawsuits-in-michigan

Ex-Trump lawyer Sidney Powell files lawsuits in Michigan, Georgia

https://lawandcrime.com/2020-election/sidney-powell-mocked-scorned-ridiculed-and-more-over-clumsy-rambling-typo-filled-kraken-lawsuits/

Sidney Powell Mocked, Scorned, Ridiculed and More Over Clumsy, Rambling, Typo-Filled ‘Kraken’ Lawsuits

My favorite bit was the tweet (or is that twit?) claiming that Powell included all the typos to make sure MSM didn't "ignore" the filing and that she is a "genius" for doing so....:picard:

"Get a brain", Magans....<_<

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

I'm always stunned that in this day and age organised religions have such a hold on people. 

From what I understand, you don't need to go  into a big old building to know god. I'm pretty sure the idea is that she is omnipotent. She'll hear you even if you have to pray at home. 

I wonder if you triggered anyone with the "she".....:lol:

• Haha 2

I love this story :lol::

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/newspolitics/trumps-inner-circle-is-telling-him-that-giuliani-and-the-rest-of-his-legal-team-are-making-him-look-like-an-idiot-report-says/ar-BB1bnDPc?li=AAggNb9

Multiple confidants of President Donald Trump are telling him the behavior and actions of his legal team are making him "look like an idiot," as The Daily Beast put it, citing two people with knowledge of the conversations in a report Wednesday.

Rudy Giuliani, the former New York City mayor who has acted as Trump's personal attorney since 2018, was put in charge of the Trump campaign's legal challenge to the US election result on November 14.

Since President-elect Joe Biden won the 2020 election, Trump has made few public appearances, leaving Giuliani to take center stage as Trump challenges the integrity of the election.

Giuliani's conduct, including legal slipups, however, has drawn ridicule.

On November 8, Giuliani hosted a press conference in the parking lot of Four Seasons Total Landscaping, a Philadelphia garden center, in an apparent mix-up with the luxury hotel Four Seasons.

On November 19, during another press conference, Giuliani sweated so profusely that black liquid began running down his face.

Giuliani also used quotes from the movie "My Cousin Vinny" to support his claim the election was fraudulent.

Trump aides thought the press conference was "dangerous," the New York Times reporter Maggie Haberman tweeted that day. "They're waiting for the president to recognize that but he is not so far," she said.

On Monday, however, NBC News reported that Trump was losing patience with his legal team, with an official telling the outlet the president said it consisted of "fools that are making him look bad."

So.......Rudy and the rest of the "Elite Strike Force" are making Trump look like an idiot......

....pretty sure that ship has sailed....:rolleyes:

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
9 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Wouldn't that be Ironic

3 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

This is making me want to watch Dogma again, some really good actors in that movie.

Love it. George Carlin, Jason Lee too.

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1
3 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I'm sure this will come as a surprise to no-one, but the Supreme Court has sided with religious institutions that objected to restrictions imposed by Andrew Cuomo:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/us/supreme-court-sides-with-religious-groups-in-new-york-in-a-dispute-over-covid-restrictions/ar-BB1bnfQq?li=AAggNb9

My first inclination is that if people want to expose themselves to a deadly virus in the name of religious "freedom", then "let God sort 'em out" as the saying goes.....however, as someone who as a child was dragged to church every Sunday by my well meaning parents, I wouldn't want to wish this on those who have no choice in the matter....For that reason, I'm disappointed by the Court's short-sightedness.

One thing that really made me shake my head was the opinion written by Neil Gorsuch:

I hope I don't have to point out the difference between stopping by the liquor store to buy a bottle of wine, or buying a new bike, and sitting in an enclosed space with dozens (or hundreds) of other people for an hour. For some reason, the difference seems to be lost on a Supreme Court Justice. :rolleyes:

Not only that, there’s all the standing, kneeling, sitting, and singing that’s going on.
That’s a lot of exercise for some of the more, shall we say, sturdier members of the congregation.

And that’s just the Catholics. What about some of those other religions, that add a whole lot of additional whooping and hollering in the name of sweet Jesus.

One thing about the Repugs, they sure like their superspreader opportunities.

18 hours ago, Tarkington said:

When audited recounts occur and all legal votes are counted everyone will be happy. Why would anyone be against this.  A Nevada court has sided with Trump and he tweeted something about winning a case in Pennsylvania just now. Unconfirmed.

First of all, I tried to look up the case you're talking about with Nevada and failed to do so. Can you provide a link? At any rate, let's even assume you're correct. So Trump wins 1 case in Nevada out of 30+ cases that failed. How many votes did that case overturn? Enough to change the election? The funny thing is that, even if a lot of these court cases succeeded, they wouldn't even flip the state back to Trump, let alone flip enough states back to Trump to win the election.

Considering all legal votes have been counted and recounted in most states, my guess is Trump's mob won't be happy. It's a mob at this point who won't listen to any logic or reasoning. A mob of nothing more than mindless minions who have been brainwashed to think democracy has failed when in actual fact what they (and you it seems) are asking for is a dictatorship with Trump winning the election despite the result.

At least the fact that you aren't willing to listen to logic or provide evidence makes this debate pretty easy for me and pretty much everyone else in this thread.

Edited by The Lock
  • Hydration 3
4 hours ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

Another one late Wednesday bites the dust.  Based on previous rulings and team TRUMP withdrawing challenges to others meant this ruling was over 69 ballots.  69.  TRUMP is down 80,000 in the state.  Even if team TRUMP won to get all the ballots that were previously ruled on, that they withdrew, or that were ultimately ruled on in this case, Biden would still be up over 78,000.  Team TRUMP's math is way way way way way way way way off.

https://lawandcrime.com/2020-election/absolutely-no-allegations-of-any-fraud-pa-court-rejects-trump-campaigns-appeal-over-69-mail-in-ballots/

‘Absolutely No Allegations of Any Fraud’: Pa. Court Rejects Trump Campaign’s Appeal Over 69 Mail-In Ballots

Dotard is siphoning most of the funds (donations from his suckers thinking most of it is going into litigating his voter fraud fantasies) to pay off the debt he owes to Putin and other foreign interests.  Any little money left over is used to hire schmucks like Mayor Tuck and Airhead Powell.

• Hydration 1
44 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Dotard is siphoning most of the funds (donations from his suckers thinking most of it is going into litigating his voter fraud fantasies) to pay off the debt he owes to Putin and other foreign interests.  Any little money left over is used to hire schmucks like Mayor Tuck and Airhead Powell.

you know, those "sucker"s are probably happy to make Trump even richer. Nuevo Tithes. 

• Hydration 1
3 minutes ago, The Lock said:

$200 million in debt is rich? I'd better start racking up some credit card bills....

we don't know how much has been donated yet tho. Lets say an average of $3 per Trump voter, thats all it would take to get him out of campaign finance debt. Then there's the media deal he'll be getting in a few weeks.

Also, you have to figure he wont be raising funds for his "library" - he'll turn that into a competitive bid for naming rights. 

He's going to monetize the crap out of this thing like no one ever has, and his flock will finance the whole debacle. 

• Vintage 1
Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

we don't know how much has been donated yet tho. Lets say an average of $3 per Trump voter, thats all it would take to get him out of campaign finance debt. Then there's the media deal he'll be getting in a few weeks.

Also, you have to figure he wont be raising funds for his "library" - he'll turn that into a competitive bid for naming rights. 

He's going to monetize the crap out of this thing like no one ever has, and his flock will finance the whole debacle. 

True. I'm pretty sure this whole thing is him thinking about how he can rip people off anyway. Wouldn't be surprised if all of this was the ulterior motive to begin with although I also wouldn't be surprised if it was more spur of the moment.

• Hydration 1