Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

USA Politics/Election Thread: Joe Biden, 46th President of the US


Recommended Posts

Just now, nuckin_futz said:

That's what you took away from what I posted?

 

If there is actual video of these historic events you should watch that instead of someone else's version.

 

Should the police and courts just go by eye witnesses and never watch video of the actual crime? Eye witnesses are humans and humans have inherent bias. So do historians. Read a book about Genghis Khan written in the west and you will read an account of a brutal murderous villain. Read a book about Genghis Khan written in Mongolia and you will read an account of a brave benevolent warrior. Someone's account has to be inaccurate, no?

The account will be much the same the interpretation of the character of the person is different.

I know what kind of person Ashli Babbitt was that has been well documented.

You talk about reason 

When has our species acted reasonably or had the ability to think critically as a species.

What can you say about a species whose military strategy for not blowing their planet apart in the last 60 years is called MAD 

Mutually assured destruction 

What does history tell you about our species 

 We are the ultimate virus, destroying ourselves and many of the other species and the very planet itself.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

The account will be much the same the interpretation of the character of the person is different.

I know what kind of person Ashli Babbitt was that has been well documented.

You talk about reason 

When has our species acted reasonably or had the ability to think critically as a species.

What can you say about a species whose military strategy for not blowing their planet apart in the last 60 years is called MAD 

Mutually assured destruction 

What does history tell you about our species 

 We are the ultimate virus, destroying ourselves and many of the other species and the very planet itself.

Not sure what this has to do with watching the video?

 

We have had these abilities since inception. The fact that we are no longer hunter gatherers wandering around in animal skins and living in caves tells me our ability to act reasonably and to think critically is pretty good.

 

That we're doing pretty good and getting better all the time.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nuckin_futz said:

 

 

We have had these abilities since inception. The fact that we are no longer hunter gatherers wandering around in animal skins and living in caves tells me our ability to act reasonably and to think critically is pretty good.

 

That we're doing pretty good and getting better all the time.

Really ?

So because some of us live in 

houses rather than caves mean we as a species have the ability to act reasonably and think critically.

Do you think we would be experiencing the effects of climate change if we as a species could think critically ?

Do you believe that the surge in far right nationalism and nationalism in general all over the world is because people are acting reasonably ?

Except for the extinction event that wiped out the dinosaurs we have never seen an extinction rate comparable to now.

Certain sections of our species are doing alright however many of the other species we share this planet with are gone or are on the way out.

 

The doomsday clock is closer to midnight than ever but hey what do some of the best minds of our species know.

 

Our planet cannot sustainably support over 7 billion people at the lifestyle we in Australia and Canada are accustomed to.

According to a David Attenborough show entitled how many people can this planet support it states it can sustainably support 2 billion at the lifestyle we enjoy.

You poo in a toilet right ?

Modi got elected partly on the promise of adding 500,000,000 million dunnies to the  Indian population.

I could go on and on and on.

Like I stated in an earlier post in the US the top 1 percent of the population controls 15 times the wealth of the bottom 50 percent.

Oxfam's global inequality report states that in no point of human history has the distribution of wealth been so unequal.

Does all this and much much more sound like a species that can act reasonably and think critically 

And seeing as this thread is about American politics do you think the average American can think critically ?

75 million of them voted for trump and another 80 odd million did not even bother to vote.

 

Edited by Ilunga
  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

:bigblush:

 

443d693.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Section_230#Erosion_of_Section_230_immunity_–_Roommates.com_(2008–16)

 

The only problem I have is there is lots of precedent where big tech has been protected by Section 230, if there is an established precedent then banning anyone is in fact a violation of free speech. Basically these companies have the good side of two coins, and regardless what you think about Trump, having these mega corps be allowed to do this is IMO a big problem.

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, canuckster19 said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Section_230#Erosion_of_Section_230_immunity_–_Roommates.com_(2008–16)

 

The only problem I have is there is lots of precedent where big tech has been protected by Section 230, if there is an established precedent then banning anyone is in fact a violation of free speech. Basically these companies have the good side of two coins, and regardless what you think about Trump, having these mega corps be allowed to do this is IMO a big problem.

They have been and in my mind they should have been viewed as publishers a lot sooner. 

However not being from NA my view of freedom of speech is that it is limited and it is not absolute. Also not allowing someone on a platform does not impinge their free speech. They can go should that message on a street corner. 
 

it’s just that a platform isn’t allowing itself to broadcast certain messages, exactly the same as the TV and Radio is regulated 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, UKNuck96 said:

They have been and in my mind they should have been viewed as publishers a lot sooner. 

However not being from NA my view of freedom of speech is that it is limited and it is not absolute. Also not allowing someone on a platform does not impinge their free speech. They can go should that message on a street corner. 
 

it’s just that a platform isn’t allowing itself to broadcast certain messages, exactly the same as the TV and Radio is regulated 

 

Yeah but TV and Radio is regulated by outside authorities, the Technocrats are self regulating which optically looks worrisome.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

 

:lol:

Kind of funny as well considering if anyone read the book that its title is Nineteen Eighty-Four and not 1984, my guess is they haven't read the book. Although I do somewhat agree, some of the themes in 1984 are becoming ever more present in today's society, certainly not limited to the USA, I do worry about their future interpretation.

 

One thing I think is absolutely present is double-think. 

 

China has re-education centers, (ministry of love)

 

We have these ever increasing consent laws, where we may soon in the future need contracts to have sex, while not exactly 1984, it is similar, not necessarily a bad thing either, but it could be turned into one.

 

 

 

 

Edited by canuckster19
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, canuckster19 said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Section_230#Erosion_of_Section_230_immunity_–_Roommates.com_(2008–16)

 

The only problem I have is there is lots of precedent where big tech has been protected by Section 230, if there is an established precedent then banning anyone is in fact a violation of free speech. Basically these companies have the good side of two coins, and regardless what you think about Trump, having these mega corps be allowed to do this is IMO a big problem.

in this case it is the lesser of the two evils.  Way way way less.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

Something something... patriots?

137659617_10158712964935900_5836380621265515410_n.jpg

Lots to take from that but calling  the dems communist is quite ironic considering they are probably further right and more conservative that pretty much most European and British political parties. 
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...