The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

USA Politics/Election Thread: Joe Biden, 46th President of the US

I don't read Swedish, and when I try to translate I get 2 paragraphs, then a sign in page.

Either sign in for free, and in a month the page will auto bill me an amount that can change with out notice. Or Don't, so I didn't.

• Vintage 2
14 minutes ago, gurn said:

I don't read Swedish, and when I try to translate I get 2 paragraphs, then a sign in page.

Either sign in for free, and in a month the page will auto bill me an amount that can change with out notice. Or Don't, so I didn't.

he must be an investor!

39 minutes ago, stawns said:

I feel like Cons are going to always be looking for a gotcha moment with the left and Biden.  The reality is, BIden probably wasn't even the second or third choice for most of the true left.  He's more Republican than Trump was.

Dotard has a very dedicated base.  Problem is, you can't win with just that base (much like Bernie couldn't win with just 'his base').  There's only so much gerrymandering & voter suppression you can do (can effect otherwise close races though).

• Hydration 1
1 hour ago, canuckster19 said:

The son of the president refusing to pay a sovereign nation for use of their property and then calling them racists like a baby when not getting your way... I guess cause his last name isn’t Trump it’s not as fun.... but it was obvious all along this thread was all about TDS since obviously no one gives a s—- about anything else.

I had no more luck than gurn did in trying to read the article so I have no idea if there is substance to it or not but for the sake of argument let’s assume it’s true. Then Hunter Biden is a colossal asshat subject to whatever penalties are applicable. Are we good?

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, canuckster19 said:

Wow this Hunter Biden guy really is a piece of trash:

https://www.svd.se/joe-bidens-son-i-konflikt-med-svensk-myndighet

Joe Biden's son Hunter snuck a young woman and a homeless friend into the Swedish embassy building in Washington DC, writes Dagens Nyheter. It is said to have led to a conflict with the Swedish Property Agency.

It was in early 2017 that Hunter Biden and his company moved into the House of Sweden, which also houses the Icelandic embassy.

Already after a year, the lease was broken after a conflict, reports DN

The reason is said to have been that Hunter Biden, who had previously been questioned for his actions as a board member of a gas company in Ukraine, violated security regulations when he took unauthorized people into the house complex through a back door - at a reasonable distance from the main entrance's metal detectors.

It is about a young woman, a homeless and Chinese businessman accused of corruption.

Several keys must have been in circulation. According to information, there have also been requests for keys to the property for Joe Biden, something that occurred in a smear campaign by Donald Trump's lawyer Rudy Giuliani. But DN's review shows that the current president never had any keys to the office in the House of Sweden.

Although left out from our more left leaning papers is where he calls the Swedish Embassy racists... right.

Does it hurt?

You know, your shoulder?

From reaching that hard that fast?

Just going to copy and paste this excerpt from your no doubt credible source

Several keys must have been in circulation. According to information, there have also been requests for keys to the property for Joe Biden, something that occurred in a smear campaign by Donald Trump's lawyer Rudy Giuliani. But DN's review shows that the current president never had any keys to the office in the House of Sweden.

• Vintage 2

Washington Examiner Paper, commentary: 

Gist- just decide for yourself when covid is over, because Fauci and Biden won't say. Also the wording in this article is very trigger laden, probably be a whole pile of ticked off people after reading it.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/stop-looking-to-fauci-and-biden-for-permission-on-returning-to-normal

"

Ross Douthat of the New York Times pleaded Tuesday for President Biden and the sainted Dr. Anthony Fauci to please, please, please let us all know when they plan on giving us back our full rights to work, socialize, and resume normal schooling.

"Biden presumably hopes to underpromise and overdeliver, while Fauci clearly has a theory of his own role that involves steering public expectations rather than just saying flatly what he thinks," he wrote. "But after a year of misery, death and sacrifice, the public has a right to know in advance when the emergency should reasonably be over."

Over? What's this "over" business Douthat is talking about?

It's been clear for the better part of a year that Democrats and their aligned coronavirus "experts" see no future without masks and "social distancing," so let's stop pretending like the answer for returning to "normal" is going to come from them. It's not.

When has Fauci or any Democrat said anything about the pandemic being "over" or coming to a definitive end? They've never said that. We only hear about some "degree of normality" (Fauci) or "a very different circumstance... than we are today" (Biden).

True, Biden did, once upon a time, promise to "shut down" the virus, but that was just campaign talk. How silly of anyone to have taken it to heart.

Anyone paying close attention to the pandemic should have figured out by now that returning to normal is a personal choice. Republican Govs. Ron DeSantis of Florida and Kristi Noem of South Dakota have proven this. DeSantis lifted all remaining restrictions on businesses and restaurants back in September. Noem hasn't had any in place since May of 2020. Yes, those states saw new surges in cases, and people continued to die, but that happened in states that remain in severe lockdown to this day.

New cases in South Dakota have been on a steep decline since mid-November. They've been in free-fall in Florida since the start of the new year. And that's true for the nation as a whole, as well, with new cases down 40%. Yet, the most Biden and Fauci will give us is the uncertain hope that people can visit with their own families in small, maskless groups if every member is vaccinated.

Wow, thanks! You're the greatest!

Everyone needs to realize that we're not going to get permission from these people to return to normal. We'll have to start living it ourselves by assessing our own individual risk levels, with or without a vaccine, and determining what we're willing to do.

That same calculation will also apply to business owners who may very well find themselves restricted or shut down even after a majority of the population is vaccinated and new cases, and deaths have flatlined. What risks will they be willing to take to get their lives back to normal? Many business owners who have defied local ordinances have already made that decision.

So will everyone else. We'll have to decide ourselves because Biden and Fauci don't have the answer."

Looks like Flyin' Ted wasn't the only lowlife Texas Republican who got out of Dodge during the storm last week:

https://cbsaustin.com/news/local/texas-ag-ken-paxton-and-his-wife-traveled-to-utah-during-winter-storm

At the height of last week's winter storm that left millions of Texans without access to heat and clean water, Attorney General Ken Paxton and his wife, state Sen. Angela Paxton, were out of state on a "previously planned" business trip to Utah, a spokesman confirmed.

Ian Prior, Ken Paxton's campaign spokesperson, told the Tribune on Monday that the attorney general traveled to meet his Utah counterpart — Attorney General Sean Reyes —about the multistate lawsuit Texas is leading against Google that accuses the internet giant of anticompetitive conduct in advertising.

Prior said the lawsuit was one among a list of issues the two met about "over the course of several days." Richard Piatt, a spokesperson for Reyes, confirmed in an email that the pair met in Salt Lake City on Wednesday and Friday, where they engaged in "lengthy discussions, mostly about the Google antitrust case." Piatt said Paxton accompanied Reyes to Murray – a nearby suburb – to attend a demonstration of Utah’s law enforcement deescalation training scenario simulator.

"This is a program that AG Paxton has been considering implementing in Texas," Prior added.

The trip was first reported by The Dallas Morning News.

On the day of Paxton's Wednesday meeting, the state's electrical grid operator reported 2.7 million households in Texas remained without power. Water infrastructure in many cities was also being strained. By Thursday, nearly half the state had had its water disrupted in some way. Many lost running water altogether, while others were issued boil-water notices.

If Paxton's name sounds familiar, it's because he was the clown who tried to disenfranchise millions of voters in four states, (none his own) by filing a lawsuit asking for the Election results to be overturned in Pennsylvania, Georgia, Michigan and Wisconsin....

• Vintage 1

Newsmax Airs Whole Segment Attacking Biden's Senior Dog, Champ

Sara Boboltz
Sara Boboltz
·Reporter, HuffPost
Sat, February 20, 2021, 8:39 AM·2 min read

Newsmax, the conservative cable channel beloved by the ex-president, sunk to a new low on Friday evening by compiling a panel to disparage President Joe Biden’s aging German Shepherd, Champ.

“Did you see the dog? I want to show you something I noticed,” began self-proclaimed dog lover Greg Kelly, who has previously used his show to push conspiracy theories about President Donald Trump’s election loss.

Kelly then showed a photograph of the 12-year-old, slightly graying Champ lying in what appears to be the Oval Office.

“That dog needs a bath and a comb and all kinds of love and care,” he stated, without evidence.

Champ is one of the Biden family’s two German Shepherds. The other, Major, is a 3-year-old rescue (and the first shelter dog to make a home in the White House).

“I don’t know how much love and care he is getting,” Kelly continued, adding, unnecessarily: “This dog looks like, I’m sorry, from the junkyard.”

The Newsmax host then brought on two guests. One, Craig Shirley, joined the bizarre criticism of Champ, saying the dog looks “very dirty and disheveled and very unlike a presidential dog.”

Champ is one of the Biden family’s two German Shepherds. The other, Major, is a 3-year-old rescue (and the first shelter dog to make a home in the White House).

“I don’t know how much love and care he is getting,” Kelly continued, adding, unnecessarily: “This dog looks like, I’m sorry, from the junkyard.”

The Newsmax host then brought on two guests. One, Craig Shirley, joined the bizarre criticism of Champ, saying the dog looks “very dirty and disheveled and very unlike a presidential dog.”

Those TDS deranged people and their liberal fake news media will attack Trump for anything....

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

There is some chatter about that China will release the two imprisoned Canadians

Wed 24 Feb 2021 00:54:18 GMT

Now that President Biden has specifically raised the cases of Michael Kovrig and Michael Spavor:

There is some speculation out of China that President Xi may release the pair as a goodwill gesture, citing 'humanitarian grounds' as his reason

Not doing so risks further damage to the US-China relationship that is already off to a less than spectacular start with the new US administration. 

• Upvote 1
20 hours ago, canuckster19 said:

Wow this Hunter Biden guy really is a piece of trash:

https://www.svd.se/joe-bidens-son-i-konflikt-med-svensk-myndighet

Joe Biden's son Hunter snuck a young woman and a homeless friend into the Swedish embassy building in Washington DC, writes Dagens Nyheter. It is said to have led to a conflict with the Swedish Property Agency.

It was in early 2017 that Hunter Biden and his company moved into the House of Sweden, which also houses the Icelandic embassy.

Already after a year, the lease was broken after a conflict, reports DN

The reason is said to have been that Hunter Biden, who had previously been questioned for his actions as a board member of a gas company in Ukraine, violated security regulations when he took unauthorized people into the house complex through a back door - at a reasonable distance from the main entrance's metal detectors.

It is about a young woman, a homeless and Chinese businessman accused of corruption.

Although left out from our more left leaning papers is where he calls the Swedish Embassy racists... right.

This supposedly happened in 2017 when Trump was in power.

You would think if this was true, Trump would have gotten wind of it instead of using "Hunters laptop" as the go to storyline. 

:rolleyes:

• Vintage 2

19 hours ago, stawns said:

can you find me a credible, reputable news source on that story?

18 hours ago, gurn said:

Credible? One of the most respected papers in Sweden isn't credible? Or is it too biased? I mean I even translated it for you.

Doesn't surprise me though that Swedish media sat on this one for 3 years, they were probably his biggest supporters outside North America. Funny though always how America treats people that do them a solid. Doesn't matter though, our media has quietly swept this one under the rug.

Edited by canuckster19
31 minutes ago, canuckster19 said:

Credible? One of the most respected papers in Sweden isn't credible? Or is it too biased? I mean I even translated it for you.

Doesn't surprise me though that Swedish media sat on this one for 3 years, they were probably his biggest supporters outside North America. Funny though always how America treats people that do them a solid. Doesn't matter though, our media has quietly swept this one under the rug.

The problem is that article doesn't really state anything as fact but more as "supposedly". The article doesn't even attempt to fact check.

Fox News in the states is considered "credible" by some. Even Newsmax and OAN are considered "credible" by some. I don't know the history of this outlet so I have no opinion of it, nor do I have any knowledge on any of the Swedish news outlets, but if the "left side" isn't posting the same stuff, I tend to question whether something actually happened at that point.

I consider the actual facts to be stuff that both left and right are posting or at least with a presentation of actual evidence on something. Trump for example you can't deny his twitter feed since it's actual tweets that can be debunked by actual evidence. Everything else it up for interpretation, especially if an article's using words such as "supposedly". That doesn't really give me confidence in it being true.

Edited by The Lock
  • Vintage 1
3 hours ago, canuckster19 said:

Why would they release of at all then?  Why now?

• Vintage 1
On 2/23/2021 at 1:15 PM, canuckster19 said:

The son of the president refusing to pay a sovereign nation for use of their property and then calling them racists like a baby when not getting your way... I guess cause his last name isn’t Trump it’s not as fun.... but it was obvious all along this thread was all about TDS since obviously no one gives a s—- about anything else.

Thanks for the nothing burger. I’ll just set Bindez laptop down for a moment, and have a bite. 

• Thanks 1
  • Hydration 1
  • Vintage 1
On 2/23/2021 at 4:37 PM, stawns said:

I feel like Cons are going to always be looking for a gotcha moment with the left and Biden.  The reality is, BIden probably wasn't even the second or third choice for most of the true left.  He's more Republican than Trump was.

Biden is as left-wing as I am communist.  In a couple election cycles the democrats have to get Yang nominated.

• Hydration 1
4 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Old-timers might remember our own Socred gerrymandering in the form of "Gracie's little finger"...but here is how Gym Jordan got elected:

:lol:

FmeL-VEG_reasonably_small.jpg

HR1 is being voted on next week. McConnell calls it a "power grab" because it: -Establishes Automatic Voter Registration -Prevents voter purges -Ends gerrymandering -Expands early voting -Takes aim at Citizens United It is a "power grab" -- grabbing power back for the people.

• Like 3