The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

USA Politics/Election Thread: Joe Biden, 46th President of the US

35 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Right on the money. It has nothing to do with cancel culture and no one group was pushing for this. The owners of the Dr Suess books recognized the issue and took it upon themselves to make the move.  Kudos to them. Things we did or said in the past might not have been racist in intent but were in fact. 

all the freaking over 'cancel culture' - can anyone here name 3 specific things they miss that are now gone as the result of 'cancel culture'? 

I can tell you some very specific problems created by Trump, but I have to stretch to think of 2 or 3 things that I miss that got cancelled. Does anyone really miss Kevin Spacey? 

• Upvote 1
17 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

all the freaking over 'cancel culture' - can anyone here name 3 specific things they miss that are now gone as the result of 'cancel culture'? 

I can tell you some very specific problems created by Trump, but I have to stretch to think of 2 or 3 things that I miss that got cancelled. Does anyone really miss Kevin Spacey? 

Playing devil's advocate mostly here, but perhaps it's not so much what's "missed" as opportunities we don't see happen because of it. For example, I believe I read somewhere that in Sweden (or somewhere in Europe anyway), there was supposed to be a "men's health festival" that was supposed to happen. However, through backlash from "feminists", it got cancelled. I don't know all the details of this, but hearing things like this can also be just as alarming as the other things that "cancel culture" is targeting.

So I think, while there's generally good reason for "cancel culture" to happen, it can also go a little too far. Perhaps also, if events such as these were shown in the limelight more, there would be more "cancel culture" of the "cancel culture" in situations where "cancel culture" just isn't appropriate. (if that made any sense whatsoever ;))

Edited by The Lock
10 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I have to confess that I kind of miss Don Cherry. If it weren't for Juice and his slagging of Elliotte on a regular basis, I'd probably miss Grapes even more.

That being said, your point is well taken. "Cancel Culture" makes little to no difference in people's everyday lives. As far as Dr. Seuss goes, according to his son, he was a bit embarrassed himself by the images posted by @stawns as well as images in other books. I think when you look at titles like The Lorax and the Sneetches, it's fair to say that he evolved...

Another good example is Mr Potato Head.....Republicans and their ilk are (predictably) getting this wrong, stating that Hasbro is changing the name of Mr Potato Head himself, in effect making the character gender neutral.....but this is not what they've done. Mr. Potato head is still Mr. Potato Head and Mrs. Potato Head is still Mrs. Potato Head....it's the name of the brand that's been changed. Previously, all items falling into what is now the "Potato Head" brand (including Mrs. potato head) were referred to as part of the "Mr. Potato Head" brand.

Now they've removed the "Mr." from the name of the brand. That's it.

Of course, that doesn't stop dipsh!ts like Ted Cruz from trying to make a political meal out of it....:picard:

• Hydration 3
10 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Playing devil's advocate mostly here, but perhaps it's not so much what's "missed" as opportunities we don't see happen because of it. For example, I believe I read somewhere that in Sweden (or somewhere in Europe anyway), there was supposed to be a "men's health festival" that was supposed to happen. However, through backlash from "feminists", it got cancelled. I don't know all the details of this, but hearing things like this can also be just as alarming as the other things that "cancel culture" is targeting.

So I think, while there's generally good reason for "cancel culture" to happen, it can also go a little too far. Perhaps also, if events such as these were shown in the limelight more, there would be more "cancel culture" of the "cancel culture" in situations where "cancel culture" just isn't appropriate. (if that made any sense whatsoever ;))

I'd be interested to see this. It doesn't make a lot of sense, since there are obviously health concerns that affect men exclusively. (such as Prostate Cancer)  :unsure:

I did a quick Google search and the closest thing I could find was the cancellation of a "Mens Rights" Music Festival, but in that case, it was cancelled by the Venue (for fears that it would be "too political") not "feminists"....

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/toronto/concert-organized-by-mens-rights-group-cancelled/article18917350/

33 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

No matter how much the right shouts and shakes their fist about cancel culture they actually have it much better than the left. Since they don’t really care about racism, gender issues, etc., they can just act indignant. Because the left doesn’t want to appear hypocritical they often wind up eating their own (Al Franken, eg) in an attempt to get it right. It’s a much finer line to walk. 

• Hydration 2
8 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

No matter how much the right shouts and shakes their fist about cancel culture they actually have it much better than the left. Since they don’t really care about racism, gender issues, etc., they can just act indignant. Because the left doesn’t want to appear hypocritical they often wind up eating their own (Al Franken, eg) in an attempt to get it right. It’s a much finer line to walk. 

For example, Cuomo is going to lose his position over the accusations most likely. 

Trump was unharmed, Kavanaugh as well. Now it is Madison Cawthorn's turn. 

• Vintage 1
3 minutes ago, Duodenum said:

For example, Cuomo is going to lose his position over the accusations most likely. 

Trump was unharmed, Kavanaugh as well. Now it is Madison Cawthorn's turn. 

and let's nor forget Al "Stuart Smalley" Franken

27 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I have to confess that I kind of miss Don Cherry. If it weren't for Juice and his slagging of Elliotte on a regular basis, I'd probably miss Grapes even more.

That being said, your point is well taken. "Cancel Culture" makes little to no difference in people's everyday lives. As far as Dr. Seuss goes, according to his son, he was a bit embarrassed himself by the images posted by @stawns as well as images in other books. I think when you look at titles like The Lorax and the Sneetches, it's fair to say that he evolved...

Another good example is Mr Potato Head.....Republicans and their ilk are (predictably) getting this wrong, stating that Hasbro is changing the name of Mr Potato Head himself, in effect making the character gender neutral.....but this is not what they've done. Mr. Potato head is still Mr. Potato Head and Mrs. Potato Head is still Mrs. Potato Head....it's the name of the brand that's been changed. Previously, all items falling into what is now the "Potato Head" brand (including Mrs. potato head) were referred to as part of the "Mr. Potato Head" brand.

Of course, that doesn't stop dipsh!ts like Ted Cruz from trying to make a political meal out of it....:picard:

It's funny to see people getting their panties in a knot over the gender of a toy potato.

• Haha 4
27 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

that's what's so ridiculous about the "uproar".  None if it makes a lick of difference to their lives, so who cares?  I always say that to parents who complain about the lgbtq section in my library...........what difference do these books actually make in your life?  The answer, if they actually gave one, would be the same.........none

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
25 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I'd be interested to see this. It doesn't make a lot of sense, since there are obviously health concerns that affect men exclusively. (such as Prostate Cancer)  :unsure:

I did a quick Google search and the closest thing I could find was the cancellation of a "Mens Rights" Music Festival, but in that case, it was cancelled by the Venue (for fears that it would be "too political") not "feminists"....

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/toronto/concert-organized-by-mens-rights-group-cancelled/article18917350/

That might have been it then. It would make sense. I'd actually be glad to know it wasn't feminists, although "too political" is pretty bad in itself and would make me wonder the underlying reasoning there anyway.

23 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

this is a very good point. The "left" is a pretty big tent and its very hard to bring it into alignment. All the right in the US needs is a false idol and the promise (not delivery) of cheaper taxes. 

7 minutes ago, stawns said:

that's what's so ridiculous about the "uproar".  None if it makes a lick of difference to their lives, so who cares?  I always say that to parents who complain about the lgbtq section in my library...........what difference do these books actually make in your life?  The answer, if they actually gave one, would be the same.........none

Bill Maher did a pretty annoying interview with Megan Kelly last week....

I'm not sure how much of her story was accurate and how much was hyperbole, but she described her kids' school "awareness" program as though they wanted the children to "come on over"....(her words, not mine)

it's that kind of disinformation that causes a lot of the collective angst on the right....as if any school would be actively encouraging children to be gay....some sort of reverse conversion therapy, I suppose....:rolleyes:

• Thanks 1
13 minutes ago, stawns said:

that's funny, I feel the same way about the religion section 

• Vintage 3
7 minutes ago, The Lock said:

That might have been it then. It would make sense. I'd actually be glad to know it wasn't feminists, although "too political" is pretty bad in itself and would make me wonder the underlying reasoning there anyway.

I agree, although I'd wager it wasn't so much that the venue manager felt strongly one way or another. Most likely they decided it just wasn't worth the potential trouble....

For example, the hotel chain that hosted this year's CPAC....(Hyatt?) They've been getting some flak for enabling this lie-fest, but they likely made a financial calculation and decided the conference was a worthwhile venture, despite possible loss of revenue down the road....

Just now, RUPERTKBD said:

I agree, although I'd wager it wasn't so much that the venue manager felt strongly one way or another. Most likely they decided it just wasn't worth the potential trouble....

For example, the hotel chain that hosted this year's CPAC....(Hyatt?) They've been getting some flak for enabling this lie-fest, but they likely made a financial calculation and decided the conference was a worthwhile venture, despite possible loss of revenue down the road....

Well, if we're circling back on the initial reasoning as to why this is brought up, perhaps then it's the "fear" that "cancel culture" brings that's the issue more than the "cancel culture" itself.

7 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Well, if we're circling back on the initial reasoning as to why this is brought up, perhaps then it's the "fear" that "cancel culture" brings that's the issue more than the "cancel culture" itself.

Yep. It's kind of ironic, because the "feminists" may not have cared. Just the chance that they would object (and honestly, doesn't someone always object?) was enough to sway the decision.

As far as I'm concerned, things won't get better on that front until people stand up and tell these ultra-sensitive activists to take a hike. Most people view these things through the lens of common sense, so why do we kowtow to the vocal minority? Those voices only have power if we grant it....

Edited by RUPERTKBD
  • Hydration 1
  • Vintage 1

Speaking of cancel culture, it looks like Ronny Jackson might be in for some "cancelling"....

Apparently, he has been accused of making inappropriate comments and drinking, while on the job as the White House physician.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/02/politics/ronny-jackson-dod-inspector-general-report/index.html

I have to say that Jackson drinking on the job is one of the least surprising stories I've seen in a while. He said that Donald Trump was in "excellent" health, FFS....I can't imagine anyone saying that if they were sober.....

• Hydration 3
1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I have to say that Jackson drinking on the job is one of the least surprising stories I've seen in a while. He said that Donald Trump was in "excellent" health, FFS....I can't imagine anyone saying that if they were sober.....

Was thinking the same.

Honestly, if I was Trump’s doctor, merely drinking on the job would be me showing considerable restraint.

• Haha 3