The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

USA Politics/Election Thread: Joe Biden, 46th President of the US

4 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

you're thinking like a Canadian. In the US people are far more locked into voting patterns. I'd bet 99% of the people scammed would still mark an X on a ballot for him tomorrow. 

If there's one thing I've learned from being online a lot, it's that just because we're talking about Americans, it doesn't mean we have morals and they don't. Getting scammed is still getting scammed at the end of the day.

I have high doubts 99% would still mark him down to be honest. I don't know what the percentage would be, but I think it would be naive to think it would be as high as 99%. Americans still aren't idiots and thinking they are is the exact mentality that will keep them in that position. If you want them to change you have to treat them like they can.

Edited by The Lock
17 hours ago, Ilunga said:

I thought some one might have brought this up for some balance in this thread.

Joe Biden has been repeatedly lieing about the voter suppression laws in Georgia.

He claims that new Georgia law "ends voter hours early so working people can't cast their votes after their shift is over.

The Washington Post's fact checker Glenn Kessler has given this claim "four Pinnochios" which is the worst rating on his scale and is reserved for "whoppers".

We all called out bone spurs for his BS,I believe Biden should be held to the same or even higher standard.

As I have stated before all politicians and governments lie.

https://www.news.com.au/world/north-america/us-politics/joe-biden-repeatedly-tells-same-lie-about-new-election-laws/news-story/7286fa7ebfd2e7ef9251e018bfa93e8a

Edit.

I am not sure what I did however I seem to have copied the link.

Sure.... Biden’s rhetoric may have been off base. But I challenge you to look at the BIG picture.... To look at what is ACTUAL at stake... That being the restriction of voter rights of minorities to participate in a freely elected society. Do not kid yourself, this is a war involving two political parties in a struggle to maintain power. One of these parties represents the large majority of the increasingly diverse population... the other doesn’t and is focused on levelling the playing field by passing legislation that will inhibit  voter turn out to a great deal of legitimate American citizens. If Biden chose to embellish... good for him!!! Because the consequences of these laws will be extremely destructive to the democratic process as a whole. 

You picked out one single falsehood and decided that that was enough to equate Biden and Trump....  That Biden should be held to the same or a higher standard. I’ll ask you, what exact “standard” did Trump actually adhere to, other than his own personal financial baseline? 

lets try to not equate the fight against the grotesque Georgia voter suppression laws with the fight against it. Because that IS the issue. When you have one side legislating racist laws based on the massive lie of “voter fraud” ... then it is all hands, skills, methods, techniques on deck. Because, in reality, only one side is actually for the people. And the other side is blatantly and openly undermining the process for their own benefit.

This one falsehood, by Biden, falls extremely short of any legitimate comparison to Trumps track record. 

False equivalence.

Edited by Canorth
  • Thanks 2
  • Hydration 1
  • Vintage 1
31 minutes ago, Roger Rabby said:

Probably more than any human tbh but I don't think Trump can become the bar otherwise it gives other politicians a free pass.

In this I will have to agree

If the bar is set at trump levels for what is or is not acceptable, we've green lit politicians to be even more reprehensible and Gaetz like than ever

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1
2 hours ago, The Lock said:

If there's one thing I've learned from being online a lot, it's that just because we're talking about Americans, it doesn't mean we have morals and they don't. Getting scammed is still getting scammed at the end of the day.

I have high doubts 99% would still mark him down to be honest. I don't know what the percentage would be, but I think it would be naive to think it would be as high as 99%. Americans still aren't idiots and thinking they are is the exact mentality that will keep them in that position. If you want them to change you have to treat them like they can.

its not morals or anything like that, we're just not as baked into a 2 party system, thank god. We've booted conservatives and liberals, have liked minorities and have had broad support for coalitions, all thanks to a parliamentary system. 

Down south they have a coin toss. Tends to create political inbreeding and dumb decisions. Sort of like conservatism in Alberta. 

7 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

it sounds a little more nuanced - there seems to be the ability for individual counties to set early closing times but it sounds thats not necessarily going to be the norm: https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2021/03/30/biden-falsely-claims-new-georgia-law-ends-voting-hours-early/

But really, the GOP gerrymandering has been pretty bad over the years, not sure its defensible. 

Thats why Biden's claims have power, they are very believable given the GOPs history. He's making it sound like all voting is effected when its apparently early voting restrictions. 

The point is he is repeatedly lieing brother.

Why bother when the truth is damning enough.

As I have stated if one calls out bone spurs for lieing,for credibility's sake one must hold Biden to the same standard at the very least.

2 hours ago, Canorth said:

Sure.... Biden’s rhetoric may have been off base. But I challenge you to look at the BIG picture.... To look at what is ACTUAL at stake... That being the restriction of voter rights of minorities to participate in a freely elected society. Do not kid yourself, this is a war involving two political parties in a struggle to maintain power. One of these parties represents the large majority of the increasingly diverse population... the other doesn’t and is focused on levelling the playing field by passing legislation that will inhibit  voter turn out to a great deal of legitimate American citizens. If Biden chose to embellish... good for him!!! Because the consequences of these laws will be extremely destructive to the democratic process as a whole. 

You picked out one single falsehood and decided that that was enough to equate Biden and Trump....  That Biden should be held to the same or a higher standard. I’ll ask you, what exact “standard” did Trump actually adhere to, other than his own personal financial baseline? 

lets try to not equate the fight against the grotesque Georgia voter suppression laws with the fight against it. Because that IS the issue. When you have one side legislating racist laws based on the massive lie of “voter fraud” ... then it is all hands, skills, methods, techniques on deck. Because, in reality, only one side is actually for the people. And the other side is blatantly and openly undermining the process for their own benefit.

This one falsehood, by Biden, falls extremely short of any legitimate comparison to Trumps track record. 

False equivalence.

As I have stated many times in this thread I have been following American politics for 40 years.

I have been aware of the GOP's voter suppression efforts for 40 years,they are stepping up their game in desperate times.

No where did I say that Biden can be compared to trump for the amount of lies each person has told.

I stated he should be held to the same standard,actually he should be held to a higher standard.

If you have want to have any credibility you will point out Biden's and the Dems failings not just bag out bone spurs.

28 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

08111019-282A-489A-9AC7-47FC5832D372.jpeg

And a guy that tried to get into underaged female changing rooms.  Wanted to have sex with his daughter.  etc., etc., etc.,

But hey, he's a right kind of "Christian" so he gets a pass.

• Haha 3
12 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

The point is he is repeatedly lieing brother.

Why bother when the truth is damning enough.

As I have stated if one calls out bone spurs for lieing,for credibility's sake one must hold Biden to the same standard at the very least.

is it a lie or political gamesmanship? apparently the 1st draft of the law did limit all voting times and some counties may limit it to 5pm for early voting, which does suck and isn't a lie.

The GOP is being beaten at their own game on this. It wouldn't be working so well if they didn't spend so much effort trying to game the system. 

Hell, even MLB has had enough. 

• Hydration 1
3 hours ago, Roger Rabby said:

Probably more than any human tbh but I don't think Trump can become the bar otherwise it gives other politicians a free pass.

Personally, I don't think it much matters where the bar is set...

In a purely binary comparison between the current POTUS and his predecessor, I'd bet the mortgage that Biden doesn't come anywhere near the volume of lies that Donald Trump did. In fact, I'd make the same bet that Biden couldn't match Trump's single term totals, even if he were re-elected and served the full 8 year maximum as POTUS.

• Hydration 2
1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

is it a lie or political gamesmanship? apparently the 1st draft of the law did limit all voting times and some counties may limit it to 5pm for early voting, which does suck and isn't a lie.

The GOP is being beaten at their own game on this. It wouldn't be working so well if they didn't spend so much effort trying to game the system. 

Hell, even MLB has had enough. 

So you will believe Kessler when he states trump has told 20,000 lies but not when he claims Biden has told one and a "whopper" on his scale at that ?

If you criticise one president for lieing if you want to have any credibility you will do so for any president who lies.

Just now, Ilunga said:

So you will believe Kessler when he states trump has told 20,000 lies but not when he claims Biden has told one and a "whopper" on his scale at that ?

If you criticise one president for lieing if you want to have any credibility you will do so for any president who lies.

I think you're straining for equivalence here, with respect. 

You may not like Biden stretching things out to a lie, but he is fighting a group thats trying to take voting rights away from minorities, a group that has shown it will incite riots. If he needs to use every trick in the book to fight the good fight, so be it. Its what the US is now. 

• Hydration 2
9 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

And a guy that tried to get into underaged female changing rooms.  Wanted to have sex with his daughter.  etc., etc., etc.,

The only reason for Trump to step inside a church, is for the photo op, or to steal the collection plate.

• Hydration 3
1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I think you're straining for equivalence here, with respect. 

You may not like Biden stretching things out to a lie, but he is fighting a group thats trying to take voting rights away from minorities, a group that has shown it will incite riots. If he needs to use every trick in the book to fight the good fight, so be it. Its what the US is now. 

I am straining for credibility.

What's good for the goose is good for the gander 

One lie follows another which follows another.

As I have stated the truth is damning enough.

25 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Jesus died for his wins. 

• Haha 1

I wonder did Joe actually know that what he was saying was a "lie".?

Or was he unkowingly  saying a falsehood?

I've said numerous false things, but when properly informed of the facts, I rectify my mistakes if possible.

If Joe continues to say the same thing, after being informed of his error, then he has told a lie.

I look at that total for Drumpf and discount it by about a third for the same reason; however that still leaves the Donald at  a Yuge number

• Hydration 2