The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

USA Politics/Election Thread: Joe Biden, 46th President of the US

5 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

What’s Baffert’s problem? It’s not his fault, you can’t help an addict until he’s ready to accept help. Just say “neigh” to drugs.

Donald Trump called a horse that won the Kentucky Derby a "junky" after it tested positive for a banned substance.

"So now even our Kentucky Derby winner, Medina Spirit, is a junky," Trump said in a statement posted to his personal website.

"This is emblematic of what is happening to our Country. The whole world is laughing at us as we go to hell on our Borders, our fake Presidential Election, and everywhere else."

• Hydration 2

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/white-house-releases-first-visitor-logs-since-obama-2021-05-08/?utm_source=reddit.com

White House releases first visitor logs since Obama

The White House on Friday released its first batch of records disclosing visits by official guests, returning to a practice set by the Obama administration but ditched by Donald Trump.

The White House disclosed 400 visits during President Joe Biden’s first 12 days in office. The White House typically sees hundreds of visitors each day, but the pandemic has slowed those visits dramatically, the records show.

“As vaccinations increase and the pandemic response continues to make progress, we look forward to welcoming many more visitors onto the White House campus and back into the People’s House,” the White House said in a statement.

Amid the pandemic, most meetings have been virtual. Biden has faced criticism for not planning to release the names of people attending virtual meetings, arguing that previous administrations did not release phone call and similar information.

The first batch of names included prominent Cabinet secretaries like Antony Blinken, the secretary of state, and Pete Buttigieg, the transportation secretary, along with the members of the military band who played on Inauguration Day and frequent visits by the American Sign Language interpreter.

Biden, a Democrat, committed during the transition to making White House visitor logs public, after Trump, his Republican predecessor, refused to release the names of people coming and going from the White House complex.

The Trump administration faced legal challenges to that stance and reached a settlement in 2018 that allowed the monthly publication of visitor logs for some executive offices, including the Office of Management and Budget. But that never extended to the entirety of the White House.

• Vintage 1
3 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Do you have a source for this claim? From what I was able to find out, the Kennedy Center expansion is being privately funded:

https://wamu.org/story/19/05/30/after-delays-kennedy-centers-new-reach-building-set-to-open-with-free-festival/

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2021/mar/9/editorial-democrats-coronavirus-stimulus-91-percen/

"Last May, when the first COVID-19 stimulus relief was signed into law, the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts received $25 million in funding.  This amount was scoffed at in many circles, including social media, which gave rise to the meme:  "We need ventilators! People are dying!!! Quick, let's fund the Kennedy Center!"

In the most recent bill, the arts are not left out either. This COVID relief bill allocates $40 million for the Kennedy Center alone."

3 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

would infrastructure renovations be better spent on a less flashy building? not sure there's a fundamental difference in where a construction job is, makes a good headline tho. 

here's where the US is spending the Biden 1.9 trillion: https://www.politifact.com/article/2021/mar/19/covid-19-relief-package-where-money-goes/

I do think Canada was better to give far more funding directly to people, vs how the US did it. But either way I think the spending is better than just letting nature take its course and allowing even more business and people to go bankrupt. 

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2021/mar/9/editorial-democrats-coronavirus-stimulus-91-percen/

"if all of what Congress is spending went directly into their pockets, every American man, woman and child would be issued a nearly $6,000 check."

Maybe they should have just cut everybody a cheque for $6,000 and keep it all above board. 

• Haha 1
5 minutes ago, Jack Fig said:

"Last May, when the first COVID-19 stimulus relief was signed into law, the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts received $25 million in funding.  This amount was scoffed at in many circles, including social media, which gave rise to the meme:  "We need ventilators! People are dying!!! Quick, let's fund the Kennedy Center!"

In the most recent bill, the arts are not left out either. This COVID relief bill allocates $40 million for the Kennedy Center alone."

Thanks for that, but it looks to me like this funding was for operational costs, aimed at keeping it's employees working, much like funding given to other businesses suffering because of the pandemic. https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/31/arts/kennedy-center-defends-25-million.html

I could understand being against it, it it were for new instruments, or equipment, but keeping over 1000 people working seems like a fair allotment to me.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Jack Fig said:

"if all of what Congress is spending went directly into their pockets, every American man, woman and child would be issued a nearly $6,000 check."

Maybe they should have just cut everybody a cheque for $6,000 and keep it all above board. 

you mean like Trudeau did :ph34r:?

Actually I agree with that, the money should just go directly to people, they know what their families and businesses need, and it would cut out the pork barrel BS.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1
6 hours ago, 4petesake said:

What’s Baffert’s problem? It’s not his fault, you can’t help an addict until he’s ready to accept help. Just say “neigh” to drugs.

Donald Trump called a horse that won the Kentucky Derby a "junky" after it tested positive for a banned substance.

"So now even our Kentucky Derby winner, Medina Spirit, is a junky," Trump said in a statement posted to his personal website.

"This is emblematic of what is happening to our Country. The whole world is laughing at us as we go to hell on our Borders, our fake Presidential Election, and everywhere else."

4 violations in 6 months.............

52 minutes ago, stawns said:

4 violations in 6 months.............

That’s amazing. I had to look that up to see if you were serious. I wonder how he still gets horses because at this rate every time his horse wins it would automatically be suspect. 

• Vintage 1
Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

That’s amazing. I had to look that up to see if you were serious. I wonder how he still gets horses because at this rate every time his horse wins it would automatically be suspect. 

I heard he's training athletes for the Olympics 

Edited by stawns
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
14 hours ago, Jack Fig said:

Four trillion dollars spent (in deficit spending, no less) in four months is going to have serious ramifications, fellas. I'm going to assume you understand that. 

Don't get me wrong I have been on the inflation bandwagon for quite sometime. Been barking about it in the investment thread to whomever will listen to me. It's real and it's coming, in fact it's already here but inflation doesn't just appear out of nowhere. It takes a long time to foment. Blaming the current administration and their huge spending programs is short sighted and rather convenient.

What about all the profligate spending the last 12 years? Does that not bear any responsibility for the current conditions? What about the actions of the Federal Reserve? Or the European Central Bank, or the Bank of Japan? Japan has a debt to GDP ratio of 266%. What responsibility do they bear? All Central Banks have behaved in a grossly irresponsible manner in the last 12 years. In Japan's case the last 30 years. Running their debt driven zombie economy.

The chickens are just coming home to roost now. Blaming the last big push of debt by the current administration and failing to acknowledge the last 12 years is folly and does not lend credence to your argument.

15 hours ago, Jack Fig said:

Four trillion dollars spent (in deficit spending, no less) in four months is going to have serious ramifications, fellas. I'm going to assume you understand that. 

With interest rates at near historical lows there has never been a better time for nation/societies to borrow money to spend on their infrastructure,healthcare,childcare and care for the elderly.

The Conservatives yelled fowl when our labour government spent $52 billion after the GFC which kept us out of a recession and most voters thought was money well spent.

Now the Conservatives,many of them the same elected representatives have spent $267 billion to keep our economy going though Covid and I believe there is more to be announced tonight in the budget.

And if you want to nitpick we still went into recession in the second quarter of 2020 which was the first recession in 29 years.

• Thanks 1
  • Hydration 1
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, nuckin_futz said:

Don't get me wrong I have been on the inflation bandwagon for quite sometime. Been barking about it in the investment thread to whomever will listen to me. It's real and it's coming, in fact it's already here but inflation doesn't just appear out of nowhere. It takes a long time to foment. Blaming the current administration and their huge spending programs is short sighted and rather convenient.

What about all the profligate spending the last 12 years? Does that not bear any responsibility for the current conditions? What about the actions of the Federal Reserve? Or the European Central Bank, or the Bank of Japan? Japan has a debt to GDP ratio of 266%. What responsibility do they bear? All Central Banks have behaved in a grossly irresponsible manner in the last 12 years. In Japan's case the last 30 years. Running their debt driven zombie economy.

The chickens are just coming home to roost now. Blaming the last big push of debt by the current administration and failing to acknowledge the last 12 years is folly and does not lend credence to your argument.

Brother I hear where you are coming from.

We here in Australia have the highest household debt in the world.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-11-18/household-debt-australia-world-champions/11682628

And now the government wants to relax lending laws which experts state could only make matters worse.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2021/feb/04/australia-risks-household-debt-disaster-if-responsible-lending-laws-scrapped

I have been saying for years that the financial system is a house of cards waiting to fall down and if interest rates go up by even 2 - 3 this house of cards will come tumbling down.

Edited by Ilunga
  • Hydration 1
8 hours ago, Ilunga said:

With interest rates at near historical lows there has never been a better time for nation/societies to borrow money to spend on their infrastructure,healthcare,childcare and care for the elderly.

The Conservatives yelled fowl when our labour government spent $52 billion after the GFC which kept us out of a recession and most voters thought was money well spent.

Now the Conservatives,many of them the same elected representatives have spent $267 billion to keep our economy going though Covid and I believe there is more to be announced tonight in the budget.

And if you want to nitpick we still went into recession in the second quarter of 2020 which was the first recession in 29 years.

Great point. I heard a Canadian economist on one of those "panel" discussions make the same point.

There's spending money wisely, in the form of an investment in the country (which is what Biden is doing).....and then there's spending it foolishly, as Trump did with his tax cut that did nothing but expand the deficit and benefit the wrong target group....

• Like 1

Credit where credit is due.....Brian Kemp hasn't done much worth celebrating IMO, (other than perhaps refusing to overturn election results for Bone Spurs) but I applaud him for this:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/11/us/ahmaud-arbery-georgia-murder-federal-hearing/index.html

On the eve of a hearing for three men accused in the death of Ahmaud Arbery, his family witnessed the repeal of a Civil War-era law permitting citizen's arrests in Georgia.

Travis McMichael, Greg McMichael and William "Roddie" Bryan Jr. will appear before a judge Tuesday afternoon on federal hate crime and kidnapping charges.
The McMichaels claimed to be conducting a citizen's arrest and that they acted in self-defense when the three men chased down and fatally shot Arbery, a 25-year-old Black man, who was out for a jog near Brunswick, Georgia, last year.
Bryan Jr., who recorded video of the death, allegedly hit Arbery with his truck after he joined the McMichaels in the chase.
"Ahmaud was the victim of a vigilante-style violence that has no place in our country or in our state," Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp said Monday while signing H.B. 479 into law.
The legislation, he said, is "a complete overhaul of Georgia's outdated citizen's arrest statute."
"Today we are replacing a Civil War-era law, ripe for abuse, with language that balances the sacred right to self-defense of a person and property with our shared responsibility to root out injustice and set our state on a better path forward," Kemp said.
Present at the signing were Arbery's mother, Wanda Cooper-Jones and his sister, Jasmine Arbery.
Cooper-Jones said she was thankful for the passage of the bill. "Unfortunately, I had to lose my son to get significant change, but again I'm still thankful," she said.
Lee Merritt, an attorney for the Arbery family, said the "family is still focusing on criminal accountability and seeing this case to a prosecution of appropriate sentencing."

• Hydration 1

Anyone else catch Obama's former speechwriter being interviewed on NewsMax?

The host asks him to comment on Elon Musk hosting SNL and he immediately pivots to trolling the network for spreading the big lie....:lol:

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1
6 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Anyone else catch Obama's former speechwriter being interviewed on NewsMax?

The host asks him to comment on Elon Musk hosting SNL and he immediately pivots to trolling the network for spreading the big lie....:lol:

“I’d be happy to talk to you about whatever you want to talk about” and then ends the interview awkwardly. Obviously “anything” meant anything but this.  Too funny!

14 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

Of course it has been a long-running problem, seemingly in all western nations. People were enraged in 2009 when Obama's bailout of $700B went forward. A comparable now is that these current 'stimulus' packages are 2.5x that each time. It's a blatant abdication of financial restraint. 

5 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Great point. I heard a Canadian economist on one of those "panel" discussions make the same point.

There's spending money wisely, in the form of an investment in the country (which is what Biden is doing).....and then there's spending it foolishly, as Trump did with his tax cut that did nothing but expand the deficit and benefit the wrong target group....

https://www.thebalance.com/current-u-s-federal-government-tax-revenue-3305762

As you can see, even with Trump's tax cuts, the U.S. treasury tax receipts still inched up in 2017, 2018 and 2019 (and presumable 2020 thought he figures aren't finalized yet). 

The U.S., like all countries may or may not have revenue problems, but they certainly have spending problems.