The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

USA Politics/Election Thread: Joe Biden, 46th President of the US

8 hours ago, BoKnows said:

Surprised this isn't getting more coverage.

Like I have stated many times 

ALL GOVERNMENTS LIE 

• Hydration 1
6 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

Like I have stated many times 

ALL GOVERNMENTS LIE 

Yeah and the media isn't much better

• Hydration 1
1 minute ago, BoKnows said:

1 minute ago, BoKnows said:

I do not trust the big media organisations,they have agendas.

I trust independent journalists like those mentioned in that Doco.

https://truthout.org/

Bruce Shapiro is a journo I trust and listen to when he talks about American politics on a radio show called late night Live hosted by Phillip Adams, an Aussie journalist,81 years old,used to be a Commie and ASIO had a file on him.

I guess most of these people are humanists like myself.

So we've reached the point where everything the biden group does that Trump was applauded for is now wrong because it's not their boy.

Cool

Took longer than I thought really

• Hydration 2

Apparently Miller was worried that deploying troops might somehow amplify conspiracy theories about the army helping Biden “steal” the election but not about the actual real conspiracy for Trump and his supporters to steal it.

Trump asked for troops to do 'whatever was necessary' to protect demonstrators who went on to storm the Capitol

Thomas Colson

• Donald Trump asked for the National Guard to protect his supporters at the January 6 Capitol rally.

• That's according to Christopher Miller, Trump's former acting defense secretary.

• Hundreds of attendants at the rally went on to storm the Capitol.

President Donald Trump asked for National Guard troops to be deployed to protect his supporters at the rally on January 6 that culminated in hundreds of those supporters violently storming the Capitol, his former acting defense secretary told lawmakers on Wednesday.

Christopher Miller told the House Oversight and Reform Committee on Wednesday that he held a meeting with Trump on January 3, three days before the violent siege in Washington, DC, which resulted in at least five fatalities.

Miller said that Trump asked at the meeting if there had been any requests for National Guard support at the "Stop the Steal" rally on January 6, where Trump and his supporters would gather to make allegations of voter fraud in November's presidential election.

Miller said he told Trump that Muriel Bowser, the mayor of the District of Columbia, had requested unarmed National Guard support for the planned demonstrations on January 5 and 6.

He said that Trump then ordered Miller to fulfill Bowser's request and told him to "do whatever was necessary to protect the demonstrators that were executing their constitutionally protected rights."

Miller and Trump were among those heavily criticized for the fact that the Pentagon took more than three hours to approve the deployment of National Guard troops to the Capitol after it was breached by the former president's supporters on January 6.

But Miller used his testimony to defend his own actions on the day. "I stand by every decision I made on January 6," he told Rep. Ro Khanna after he was asked to apologize to American citizens for his actions that day.

In Miller's written testimony to Congress, he said he had only deployed troops in areas away from the Capitol to avoid fanning conspiracy theories that the Army was involved in efforts to overturn the election. He added that doing so risked "amplifying the narrative that your Armed Forces were somehow going to be co-opted in an effort to overturn the election."

He said he approved Mayor Bowser's request on January 4 and deployed National Guard troops at 30 traffic-control points around the White House, as well as at six subway stations, to block vehicles from entering the area. He said the purpose was to "demonstrate a law enforcement presence" and "intervene, only if required, in disturbances."

And MTG's cellphone messages and tweets need to be looked at.

https://www.npr.org/2021/05/14/996822835/house-lawmakers-reach-bipartisan-deal-on-panel-to-investigate-jan-6-attack

House Lawmakers Reach Bipartisan Deal On Panel To Investigate Jan. 6 Attack

House lawmakers have reached a deal on a bipartisan commission to investigate the Jan. 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol by supporters of then-President Donald Trump and to recommend changes to protect the complex further.

Rep. Bennie Thompson, D-Miss., chair of the House Homeland Security Committee, and Rep. John Katko, R-N.Y., the panel's ranking member, will introduce legislation Friday to set up the commission.

Thompson said the attack was of a complex and national significance that demanded the need for an independent commission to investigate, and was pleased a deal was reached after months of intensive talks.

"The creation of this commission is our way of taking responsibility for protecting the U.S. Capitol. After all, the Capitol is not just a historic landmark, it is where our constituents come to see their democracy in action," Thompson said. "We owe it to the Capitol Police and all who enter our citadel of democracy to investigate the attack."

The 9/11-style panel would include 10 bipartisan members: Five of them, including the chair, would be appointed by the House speaker and the Senate majority leader; the other five, including the vice chair, would be appointed by the minority leaders of the House and Senate. The panel would, among other things, study the "facts and circumstances of the January 6th attack on the Capitol as well as the influencing factors that may have provoked the attack on our democracy."

The commission would have the power to issue subpoenas to carry out its investigation, but these would require "agreement between the Chair and the Vice Chair or a vote by a majority of Commission members." Under the deal, the panel will be required to issue a final report along with recommendations by Dec. 31.

In a statement, Katko said he has remained firm in his calls since the day after the January attack for an independent, 9/11-style review. He said the bill to create the commission will lead to answers to protect the Capitol.

"Unfortunately the Capitol remains a target for extremists of all ideologies, as we also witnessed during the April 2 attack that took a Capitol Police officer's life. That's why we must do everything we can to ensure nothing like this can ever happen again," Katko said in a statement. "An independent, bipartisan commission will remove politicization of the conversation and focus solely on the facts and circumstances surrounding the security breach at the Capitol as well as other instances of violence relevant to such a review."

The establishment of a commission to investigate the attack has been the subject of a partisan fight — first over the panel's composition and then over its scope: Some Republicans wanted to use the commission to look into antifa protests last summer. Democrats have wanted the panel to focus solely on the events of Jan. 6.

House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy and other key Republicans have yet to sign off on the plan. McCarthy confirmed on Friday to reporters he was not on board, noting the vehicle attack last month that left an officer dead. The attacker in that instance was a self-described supporter of the Nation of Islam.

"You want to make sure that with the scope you can look at all that, what came up before, what came up after," McCarthy said. "So that's very concerning to me."

Rep. Liz Cheney, who was ousted from her no. 3 House Republican leadership role this week, lauded the news. Amid efforts to remove her from her role, Cheney rebuked the position of McCarthy and others that the scope of the commission should go beyond the siege.

"All members, especially House and Senate leaders, should support this effort and there should be no delay in passing this bill to find the facts and the truth about what happened on January 6th and the events leading up to it," Cheney said in a statement.

"In the aftermath of national crises, such as Pearl Harbor, the Kennedy assassination, or September 11th, our nation has established commissions so the American people know the truth and we can prevent these events from happening again. The same thing is needed for January 6th and this commission is an important step forward to answering those fundamental questions."

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi worked for months to reach a deal with Republicans, many of whom said the plan wasn't bipartisan enough and the scope too narrow. In recent weeks, Pelosi agreed to address the language to split the seats between the parties but said the scope must remain focused on the attack.

"Protecting the U.S. Capitol Complex and all who serve and work in it is of the highest priority, and therefore, the House will also soon move forward with an emergency security supplemental which will provide for the safety of Members and harden the Capitol against further attacks," Pelosi said Friday.

Later on Friday, Democrats introduced the $1.9 billion plan to boost Capitol security.

• Vintage 1

:o There was voter fraud.....

https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/14/us/barry-morphew-colorado-wife-murder-suspect-voter-fraud-charge/index.html

A Colorado man who was recently charged with murder in the disappearance of his wife a year ago has also been charged with voter fraud for voting for Donald Trump in the 2020 presidential election using his wife's mail-in ballot, according to an affidavit.

Barry Lee Morphew last week was charged with murder, tampering with physical evidence and attempting to influence a public servant in connection with the death of his wife, Suzanne Morphew.
Suzanne was reported missing on May 10, 2020.
An arrest warrant filed in Chaffee County, Colorado on Thursday shows that Barry Morphew faces charges of forgery and offenses relating to mail ballots.

• Vintage 1

I remember mentioning here about how Biden and Trump were two sides of the same corrupt coin and had a few people argue with me trying to defend Biden lol. since then Biden had repeatedly defended the ethnic cleaning and apartheid happening in Palestine and twice now vetoed UN statements on the topic. LoL y'all really tried defending this absolute cretin

• RoughGame 1
25 minutes ago, Watermelon said:

I remember mentioning here about how Biden and Trump were two sides of the same corrupt coin and had a few people argue with me trying to defend Biden lol. since then Biden had repeatedly defended the ethnic cleaning and apartheid happening in Palestine and twice now vetoed UN statements on the topic. LoL y'all really tried defending this absolute cretin

No one is saying Biden is a saint; we always knew there would be issues.  However, preserving democracy in the USA required removing the neo-Nazi scumbag president who openly supported domestic terrorism.

• Hydration 2
1 hour ago, Watermelon said:

As much as I am critical of Biden's actions in regard to the conflict in Palestine,and I am very critical of them,it has been trumps actions when he was president that has emboldened the Israeli leadership,especially his moving of the US embassy to Jerusalem from Tel Aviv.

And while he has not been the only US president to talk about doing this,Clinton stated he supported the idea of doing this and Bush stated he would move the ambassador to Jerusalem in 2000.

The US Congress has constantly passed legislation for the embassy to be moved there,however up until trump actually did it the US had resisted the move.

To now Criticize Biden without acknowledging the fact that trump fanned the flames of violence that have erupted since is displaying total ignorance on this subject.

• Thanks 2
  • Sedinery 1
Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

As much as I am critical of Biden's actions in regard to the conflict in Palestine,and I am very critical of them,it has been trumps actions when he was president that has emboldened the Israeli leadership,especially his moving of the US embassy to Jerusalem from Tel Aviv.

And while he has not been the only US president to talk about doing this,Clinton stated he supported the idea of doing this and Bush stated he would move the ambassador to Jerusalem in 2000.

The US Congress has constantly passed legislation for the embassy to be moved there,however up until trump actually did it the US had resisted the move.

To now Criticize Biden without acknowledging the fact that trump fanned the flames of violence that have erupted since is displaying total ignorance on this subject.

whats been happening recently is not about the location of the US embassy but rather Israel continually taking more and more land displacing and dehumanizing Palestinians. it reached the boiling point when settlers were kicking out Palestinians from their homes in Sheikh Jarrah followed by the attack on Al Aqsa Mosque. The Us embassy wasn't in the other occupied Palestinian lands when Israel took those were they? The Israeli plans were always to expand its borders until Palestine was wiped off the map

I'm not defending Trump in the slightest however, I just hated that many people here were delighted when Biden got elected as if he was anything more than marginally better than Trump. 

Edited by Watermelon
  • RoughGame 1
4 minutes ago, Watermelon said:

whats been happening recently is not about the location of the US embassy but rather Israel continually taking more and more land displacing and dehumanizing Palestinians. it reached the boiling point when settlers were kicking out Palestinians from their homes in Sheikh Jarrah followed by the attack on Al Aqsa Mosque. The Us embassy wasn't in the other occupied Palestinian lands when Israel took those were they? The Israeli plans were always to expand its borders until Palestine was wiped off the map

I'm not defending Trump in the slightest however, I just hated that many people here were delighted when Biden got elected as if he was anything more than marginally better than Trump. 

I know all the facts you have presented however you stated that trump and Biden are two sides of the same coin and then linked Biden to the conflict in Palestine.

While I am critical of all politicians trump was/is in a universe of his own as both a politician and person.

He is Sociopath who continually lies to  scams from and abuses others.

And while Israel has been stealing land and forcing Palestinians from their land and homes for over the last 80 years it has been trumps and his son in laws actions that has emboldened them since he moved the US embassy to forcefully take more land and remove more people from their homes.

His daughter and son in laws are practicing orthodox Jews and Jared's so called peace plan was basically a plan for conflict.

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

I know all the facts you have presented however you stated that trump and Biden are two sides of the same coin and then linked Biden to the conflict in Palestine.

While I am critical of all politicians trump was/is in a universe of his own as both a politician and person.

He is Sociopath who continually lies to  scams from and abuses others.

And while Israel has been stealing land and forcing Palestinians from their land and homes for over the last 80 years it has been trumps and his son in laws actions that has emboldened them since he moved the US embassy to forcefully take more land and remove more people from their homes.

His daughter and son in laws are practicing orthodox Jews and Jared's so called peace plan was basically a plan for conflict.

Bidens support for Israel has been going on for decades, not only his term as president. 

4 hours ago, Watermelon said:

Bidens support for Israel has been going on for decades, not only his term as president. 

Americas support of Israel has been happening since the state of Israel was formed.

The Israeli lobby groups are the most powerful in American politics.

As I stated in an earlier post Clinton,Bush talked about moving the embassy to Jerusalem,even Obama stated Jerusalem should be the capital of Israel.

You however tried to tell us that trump and Biden are virtually the same.

This is blatantly untrue.

To compare that lying POS that has admitted to sexually assaulting women, told over 20,000 lies while in office, encouraged an insurrection,does not care at all about the American people to Joe Biden who while he has his faults genuinely cares for the American people,is just BS.

As for their respective policies in regard to Israel as I have stated trumps actions in regards to the US embassy and his son in laws supposed peace plan that was so biased towards Israel that it only inflamed tensions between both sides of the conflict.

Biden's faults in regards to Israel are that he will not speak out about Israel's treatment of the Palestinians which while I am very critical of have not inflamed the conflict like trump and his son in laws did.

However I do not see you trying to refute this,you only seem interested in critisizing Biden which is fine,just don't expect people to take you seriously if you believe trump and Biden are different sides of the same coin as you claim.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Ilunga said:

To compare that lying POS that has admitted to sexually assaulting women, told over 20,000 lies while in office, encouraged an insurrection,does not care at all about the American people to Joe Biden who while he has his faults genuinely cares for the American people,is just BS.

Dotard:  It’s all just one big con with Urine man and his acolytes.

• Hydration 2
4 hours ago, Ilunga said:

Americas support of Israel has been happening since the state of Israel was formed.

The Israeli lobby groups are the most powerful in American politics.

As I stated in an earlier post Clinton,Bush talked about moving the embassy to Jerusalem,even Obama stated Jerusalem should be the capital of Israel.

As for their respective policies in regard to Israel as I have stated trumps actions in regards to the US embassy and his son in laws supposed peace plan that was so biased towards Israel that it only inflamed tensions between both sides of the conflict.

Biden's faults in regards to Israel are that he will not speak out about Israel's treatment of the Palestinians which while I am very critical of have not inflamed the conflict like trump and his son in laws did.

However I do not see you trying to refute this,you only seem interested in critisizing Biden which is fine,just don't expect people to take you seriously if you believe trump and Biden are different sides of the same coin as you claim.

You mention Trumps children being Jewish but you should know two of Bidens children are married to Jews. 

Also, it's much more than Biden not speaking out, he flat out said "Israel has the right to defend itself" when its clear that Israel has been the aggressor since its formation. In addition, the US repeatedly blocks UN sanctions and statements against Israel. Don't you realize this exact behaviour that is supported by Biden gives Israel a path to commit horrid crimes against humanity and breaking dozens of international laws? Israel for decades now has been able to do whatever it wants without having to face any consequences thanks to the US and guys like Biden who support them. 

Again, you may disagree with me on this, but Biden and Trump are the same in my eyes regarding their life in politics (Trump should be in jail for s.a I agree with you).

• RoughGame 1
12 hours ago, Watermelon said:

14 hours ago, Watermelon said:

You might not agree with Biden’s role on this but saying that they are the same is disingenuous.

It’s like me saying that you are taking Palestinian side because they are Muslim.

Plenty of other things to be judged on besides this conflict.

• Like 1
  • Hydration 2

Biden always makes me laugh.  (With Trump it was OMG!  This guy is an orange ass-clown.)  With Biden it’s just kind of funny.  

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, CBH1926 said:

You might not agree with Biden’s role on this but saying that they are the same is disingenuous.

It’s like me saying that you are taking Palestinian side because they are Muslim.

Plenty of other things to be judged on besides this conflict.

I disagree. I'm against any loss of innocent life and oppression (btw Palestine also has large christian populations and they too are being murdered). The fact that Biden enables this and has advocated for zionism for decades now is telling of the kind of person he is. Its not even solely about his stance on the Israeli apartheid, Bidens impact includes his role in the discriminatory laws set in place to target black men, his vice president who is known to support the unjust judicial system that further targets and oppresses the black populations in America with harsh penalties, his role in the Obama campaign, etc. 

While Biden and Trump certainly conduct themselves differently in the press and I suspect thats the reason why Biden is seen to be superior in the eyes of the public, I feel as though they're actions and the resulting effects from both of them are similarly unjust to put it lightly. 

• RoughGame 1