The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

USA Politics/Election Thread: Joe Biden, 46th President of the US

I really thought stuff down south would improve after Trump.  But Biden isn’t helping.  From adding 5 Trillion to their already massive debt, to crisis on the southern border, to shootings and violence in the streets, and to a foreign policy that appears to be contributing to conflicts are all adding up to continued bad news.  Very sad to see our southern neighbours and friends suffering so much.  

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

So.....you're here to take a victory lap because of fighting between Arabs and Palestinians and you believe validates your claim of Trump and Biden being two sides of the same coin?

Really? :huh:

There's no other metric that you can think of that might differentiate between the two? Climate Change? Pandemic response? Tax policy? Qualified Cabinet appointees? Race relations? Immigration? Pathological lying? Common decency?

There's also the matter of Trump falsely claiming election fraud, inciting an insurrection and attempting to overrule the will of the voters....

The fact is, the current President and the former president are almost nothing alike and think patting yourself on the back for being "right" in this case, is a pretty stunning display of hubris....:rolleyes:

BTW: What I remember is a lot of Trump supporters lamenting the lack of media coverage of Jared's "successful" Middle East Peace Initiative.....yet another example of premature celebration from Trump administration fans....

I still don't know hat Jared even accomplished.  To add to that, I also don't know what exactly Ivanka did or even accomplished in 4 years.  

• Hydration 1
  • Vintage 1
Just now, Alflives said:

I really thought stuff down south would improve after Trump.  But Biden isn’t helping.  From adding 5 Trillion to their already massive debt, to crisis on the southern border, to shootings and violence in the streets, and to a foreign policy that appears to be contributing to conflicts are all adding up to continued bad news.  Very sad to see our southern neighbours and friends suffering so much.  

Here are some contributing factors that led to this "crisis".

1)  Covid.  

2)  TRUMP basically shut down the boarder.  People who were legally trying to claim asylum were shut out to a trickle, then grinding to a halt.  Clearly a backlog grew.

https://www.npr.org/2020/03/18/817965714/immigration-grinds-to-a-halt-as-president-trump-shuts-borders

3)  The failed war on drugs.  The violence and hardships that many people experience in Mexico and Central America definitely is a factor.  Something administrations from BOTH sides are guilty of perpetuating for decades now.  

4)  The economic poverty of Central American countries.  Again, something that has deep roots going back beyond even TRUMP.

5)  Political issues.  Civil wars.  All contribute to establishing migration routes the persist to this day.

https://time.com/5951532/migration-factors/

So no, this isn't a NEW crisis that Biden is to blame for.  This is a long standing, complex issue that has MANY people to blame.  Quite a number of those people are now long out of power and even dead.  

Nope, in Alf's world this is all on Biden.  He can get some blame, but there are others who's hands are dirty, if not dirtier. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
1 minute ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

Here are some contributing factors that led to this "crisis".

1)  Covid.  

2)  TRUMP basically shut down the boarder.  People who were legally trying to claim asylum were shut out to a trickle, then grinding to a halt.  Clearly a backlog grew.

https://www.npr.org/2020/03/18/817965714/immigration-grinds-to-a-halt-as-president-trump-shuts-borders

3)  The failed war on drugs.  The violence and hardships that many people experience in Mexico and Central America definitely is a factor.  Something administrations from BOTH sides are guilty of perpetuating for decades now.  

4)  The economic poverty of Central American countries.  Again, something that has deep roots going back beyond even TRUMP.

5)  Political issues.  Civil wars.  All contribute to establishing migration routes the persist to this day.

https://time.com/5951532/migration-factors/

So no, this isn't a NEW crisis that Biden is to blame for.  This is a long standing, complex issue that has MANY people to blame.  Quite a number of those people are now long out of power and even dead.  

Nope, in Alf's world this is all on Biden.  He can get some blame, but there are others who's hands are dirty, if not dirtier. 

I hoped Biden would improve matters down south.  Maybe the US is just destined to go down hill?  

16 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I hoped Biden would improve matters down south.  Maybe the US is just destined to go down hill?  

I disagree with your premise....

IMO, this alone is a massive improvement:

Unlike under Mr Trump, the Biden White House has not sought to crackdown on families arriving together by separating children from parents.

Mr Trump's so-called "zero tolerance" policy saw families divided by US authorities, in some cases with parents being deported back to their home countries without their children. The policy was reversed and some families - but not all - reunited.

A taskforce enacted by Mr Biden in January to reunite the remaining families began to do so in the US in early May. The panel estimates that about 1,000 families remain separated.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-56255613

The situation is a mess and Biden has been far from perfect, but to say he isn't an improvement over Trump, is just dead wrong, IMHO....

• Like 1
  • Hydration 2
53 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Really? You thought things were going to change over night?  Dude's barely been in office over 100 days. People have been getting shot in crazy amounts for decades down there...

As far as debt goes...this is far better debt than the massive chunk added by Trump's tax cut to the rich.  

Any change down there will be gradual.  That is what makes Trumps four year trip to the bottom even more 'impressive'. 

• Like 1
Just now, Gnarcore said:

Really? You thought things were going to change over night?  Dude's barely been in office over 100 days. People have been getting shot in crazy amounts for decades down there...

As far as debt goes...this is far better debt than the massive chunk added by Trump's tax cut to the rich.  

Any change down there will be gradual.  That is what makes Trumps four year trip to the bottom even more 'impressive'. 

The thing is the direction hasn’t changed.  If anything it’s (sadly) accelerated downwards in so many ways, 

like listed before.  It’s a very sad state of affairs down south.  

15 hours ago, Watermelon said:

You mention Trumps children being Jewish but you should know two of Bidens children are married to Jews. 

Also, it's much more than Biden not speaking out, he flat out said "Israel has the right to defend itself" when its clear that Israel has been the aggressor since its formation. In addition, the US repeatedly blocks UN sanctions and statements against Israel. Don't you realize this exact behaviour that is supported by Biden gives Israel a path to commit horrid crimes against humanity and breaking dozens of international laws? Israel for decades now has been able to do whatever it wants without having to face any consequences thanks to the US and guys like Biden who support them. 

Again, you may disagree with me on this, but Biden and Trump are the same in my eyes regarding their life in politics (Trump should be in jail for s.a I agree with you).

I mentioned that trumps nepotism when he allowed his orthodox Jewish son in law to broker a supposed peace deal between Israel and Palestine that was so one sided that it only fanned the flames of the conflict.

Biden has not placed his children in positions of power like trump did and they grafted their positions for all they could get.

Again as I have already stated I am highly critical of Biden and all the previous US administration's that have enabled Israel to break international law and force people from their homes,take their land and kill them.

You are of course welcome to your opinions however to compare trump to Biden will welcome others will doubt your ability to think critically.

• Thanks 2
11 hours ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

I still don't know hat Jared even accomplished.  To add to that, I also don't know what exactly Ivanka did or even accomplished in 4 years.  

According to Citizens for Ethics they accomplished a lot.

They made 640 million dollars in the four years Ivanka's father was in office.

• Hydration 2
  • Vintage 1

MA Republican congressman who denied there was an insurrection and likened Capitol rioters to tourists was photographed barricading the chamber doors against them

6 hours ago

Rep. Andrew Clyde, R-Ga., second from top left, and security barricade the door of the House chamber as rioters disrupt the joint session of Congress to certify the Electoral College vote on Wednesday, January 6, 2021. Reps. Troy Nehls, R-Texas, blue shirt, Markwayne Mullin, R-Okla., right, and Dan Meuser, R-Pa., second from right, are also pictured. (Photo By Tom Williams/CQ-Roll Call, Inc via Getty Images)
Rep. Andrew Clyde, center, and security guards barricade the House door as rioters disrupt the joint session of Congress on January 6. 

Photo By Tom Williams / CQ-Roll Call, Inc via Getty Images

A photo emerged of a GOP lawmaker who last week downplayed the Capitol siege and compared the rioters to tourists barricading the House doors with furniture on January 6.

Rep. Andrew Clyde said during a House oversight committee hearing on Wednesday that it was a "bald-faced lie" to call the riot an insurrection. He said the riot, in which hundreds of Trump supporters breached the Capitol, resembled a "normal tourist visit."

After Clyde's comments, a photographer shared a photo he had taken of Clyde using furniture to barricade the House against rioters trying to force their way in to disrupt the certification of President Joe Biden's election victory. Several people died in the riot.

In the hearing last week, Clyde addressed his attempts to barricade the House and suggested that because rioters did not breach the chamber it was not an insurrection.

"As one of the members who stayed in the Capitol and on the House floor and who with other Republican colleagues helped barricade the door until almost 3 p.m. that day from the mob who tried to enter, I can tell you, the House floor was never breached, and it was not an insurrection," he said.

Clyde described the rioters as an "undisciplined mob" but also said they resembled tourists, Insider's Grace Panetta reported.

"You know, if you didn't know the TV footage was a video from January the 6th, you would actually think it was a normal tourist visit," he said.

He also falsely claimed that police officers had not confiscated any firearms from people who breached the Capitol.

A normal tourist visit? I seldom see employees barricading doors in Disneyland videos. I’m not sure what he thinks the tourism industry is all about.

• Hydration 2
19 hours ago, Alflives said:

The thing is the direction hasn’t changed.  If anything it’s (sadly) accelerated downwards in so many ways, 

like listed before.  It’s a very sad state of affairs down south.  

If you expected an about face over night that is more on your unrealistic expectations.  Many policies put in place are exactly that but border issues and gun issues are not things the US President can just come in and wave a magic wand and curtail. 

• Like 1
  • Hydration 3

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/matt-gaetz-associate-pleads-guilty-sex-trafficking-case-will-cooperate-n1267587

Matt Gaetz associate pleads guilty in sex-trafficking case, will cooperate with feds

"Guilty," Joel Greenberg repeatedly said to six of the 33 charges initially filed against him in federal court in Orlando.
  • Hydration 2
  • Haha 1
18 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Kids still in cages

But at least he ain't the fat orange man who spews verbal diarrhea. 

The "kids in cages" talking point was hyperbole.  The truth is far more nuanced.  What TRUMP did was take an already sticky issue and turned it up to 11 by implementing his zero tolerance policies.  Separating children, infants even, from parents in situations where it wasn't done in the past was the issue.  Hyperbole and partisanship muddied the waters and obscured where the real issue was.

My question is what exactly was/is Biden supposed to do?  What exactly was Biden supposed to do in the mere months that he has been in office?  You do realize that they simply can't just let those kids out right?  Right?

• Like 1
  • Hydration 1
5 minutes ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

What exactly was Biden supposed to do in the mere months that he has been in office? 

Joe Biden has not  cured cancer, obviously a bust as president.

• Haha 4

I wish people would have at least given biden a year before jumping all over him. Believe it or not no president can fix every issue in a single term let alone 100 days. His start has been above average at least so far and if he keeps going like this 2022 should bring a stronger democrate senate, then we will really see what he wants to do with his time in office.

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1
46 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Kids still in cages

But at least he ain't the fat orange man who spews verbal diarrhea. 

Big difference....

Many of the kids that Trump put in cages arrived with their parents, but were separated as part of a Trump policy (enacted by Stephen Miller and Jeff Sessions, mostly) to deter immigrants from coming.

The ones on Biden's watch show up unaccompanied....

• Hydration 1