The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

USA Politics/Election Thread: Joe Biden, 46th President of the US

17 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

Then you either have to try against hoping for different results or stop and live with it

Not sure I catch your drift.  Are these two options not the same?  Or is "against" a typo?

18 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

Point is the west can't bully a nuclear power into its ideals. For global security and well being, the best we can hope for is a miraculous internal reforms.

Sure, and that never stopped the ccp from trying to bully the west.  However, I do agree with your point, and the goal never was to bully China, it's to enlighten the populace and its trading partners about the monsters that are in control of the regime and ru(i/n)ning the country.  It's also to compel the ccp to change its behaviour to be less of a nationalistic and genocidal bully and more of a global citizen.

I had hope in '89 that the moderates would come out on top.  I used to be a strong supporter of evolutionary change as a means to progress one's governance system.  However, time and again it's been proven that this regime won't accept any sort of dissent, even if the dissent is well-meaning and would help progress the country in the long run.  There doesn't appear to be the critical mass of high-ranking ccp members necessary to bring about the internal reforms that would respect human rights and are progressive enough to bring sustainable progress to the country.  And by sustainable progress, I don't mean $$$.

18 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

Given China's history, a soviet style collapse will also cause internal turmoil that is highly likely to spill into the rest of the world.

They haven't collapsed yet, and they're already the source of a lot of the turmoil that has racked - and continues to rack - the rest of the world.

• Vintage 1
6 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I think he likes his kids. While Trump did lie his pants off while president, he did so because he refused to listen to anyone and thought he could go it alone, and gave the Americans some really funny stream of consciousness speeches.  

Really? Jinping is a more honest politician? He and his political party have made a career out of deceiving others.

Poverty that occurred because of? The CCP's poor governing, maybe? It's easy to fix a problem that you've allowed to happen and then take credit for it. 

What's the point of this? Will she read my post and be wrought with despair? 

And the majority of people don't do enough to change the systems that are running their lives because the majority of people let government run their lives for them and go on autopilot.

I hope that there's major upheaval of world government in my lifetime. The only way for that to happen is if the majority of people wake up and band together. Sadly, there are way too many fractures that have allowed society to devolve into a tribalistic state where everyone is busy pointing their fingers (more likely their phone cameras) at each other. This keeps everyone nice and segmented, which makes things easier to control. You know, divide and conquer? 

The poverty existed for millenia before the CCP came along 

They were the first governing regime to actually try to lift their population out of it.

Do you believe generations of emperors gave a rat's arse about the peasants ?

No they were just like the British "ruling class".

At best the average citizen was canon fodder.

Must people forget 4 -6 or so generations ago life for people like us sucked.

I believe that Ping has not told a fraction of the lies trump told.

He is an authoritarian dictator but he is quite open about it.

My point was the standard of living was/is rising for the average Chinese citizen in the last 30 years while it has been falling for many here in the west.

Even life expectancy is on decline in the country with largest economy on the planet.

What does that tell you about the division of wealth ?

After nearly 60 years on this planet and studying my fellow human beings I have come to the conclusion that most people want their decisions made for them.

They don't want to take responsibility for their actions,it's always someone else's fault when things go wrong.

There will be no great changes in the way people govern themselves.

History just repeats itself over and over again.

Wolves and sheep my friend.

• Upvote 1

People continue to worry about the CCP being involved heavily in peoples lives.  Dictating what they do, how they do it.

But...they never realize that we're literally exactly the same.

Except, unlike the CCP regime dictating everything we do, we listen to corporations and public opinion instead.

Don't think it's true?  Look around.  Like seriously look around and you'll understand we're as much slaves to a master tjhat dictates our lives in the same manner the Chinese people are the CCP

• Like 1
  • Hydration 1
  • Sedinery 1
  • Vintage 1
6 hours ago, 24K PureCool said:

Be very careful of what you wish for. We live in the nuclear age and any upheaval in the system could very well cause nuclear armageddon.

The west need to incentivize the CCP to change instead of villianizing and raising tensions against a nuclear power more than capable of ending the world should they be pushed into a corner. Any change in China's dynasty will inevitably result in a civil war, but now with unaccountable nukes that can be fired anywhere and will be fired everywhere. 

Totally.

Our Government has demonised China for its own political ends while raking in the dollars from taxes on our Iron ore exports to China.

That has fuelled over 30 years of economic growth and kept us going through the pandemic.

We have the afrontrey to condemn China for human rights violations while we have herded refugees into detention facilities offshore.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia- 

These kids are Australian citizen s

Stop the boats !!!!

Coming from right wing Christian nutjobs.

I wonder what Jesus-if he existed- would say to them about the treatment of these people 

Meanwhile our moron politicians are making statements like this 

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-04-26/mike-pezzullo-home-affairs-war-defence-force/100096418

Does any rational,logical person believe that this will ease tensions or even make China rethink any of their policies ?

Coming from a pissant nation like ours China must be pissing themselves laughing.

5 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

The west has only been trying to incentivize the ccp's change since the days of Trudeau & Nixon and their policies of "engagement".  The ccp has taken those incentives, and not only shown that they won't change, they've turned around used those incentives against the west.  What were once incentives are now essentially appeasements towards that regime.  I just hope that "engagement" won't one day become "subservience", which is how dynasties of China past have typically handled international relations.

Like the opium wars ?

How you can even try to compare China to western interventionism in the last thousand years is hilarious.

4 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Most likely sanctions will be the idea going forward. However, considering how much the rest of the world relies on China's manufacturing sector, that could become very dicey., and end up with a result that is akin to shooting oneself in the foot.

And it would affect a huge amount of people in China who rely on those manufacturing jobs to survive.

I think your idea of an internal reform is probably the most likely outcome. That's a pretty hard thing to do considering how closely the populace is monitored by the government.

The idea of mutually assured destruction is one that no one should consider. 

Big plus for your last sentence.

Sapiens rely on a military strategy of mutual assured destruction-MAD- to keep us safe.

What does that tell you about our species ?

11 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

People continue to worry about the CCP being involved heavily in peoples lives.  Dictating what they do, how they do it.

Except, unlike the CCP regime dictating everything we do, we listen to corporations and public opinion instead.

Don't think it's true?  Look around.  Like seriously look around and you'll understand we're as much slaves to a master tjhat dictates our lives in the same manner the Chinese people are the CCP

Totally brother.

But hey the Chinese Babi Yaga is worse than our Babi Yaga.

They are just more open about what they their goals are.

btw:  the *SAME* Ron Johnson spent July 4 a few years ago doing photo-ops with various Russian officials.  Guess he's speaking from personal experience at being a Russian stooge.:lol:

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Hydration 3
15 hours ago, Warhippy said:

The Office Yes GIF

• Like 1
  • Hydration 1
16 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

btw:  the *SAME* Ron Johnson spent July 4 a few years ago doing photo-ops with various Russian officials.  Guess he's speaking from personal experience at being a Russian stooge.:lol:

Ya, no one should take Fox seriously, but sadly millions of morons do.  Yet another example of how bad Fox News is can be demonstrated by reports like this:

https://www.mediamatters.org/fox-news/foxs-anti-critical-race-theory-parents-are-also-gop-activists

Fox’s anti-“critical race theory” parents are also GOP activists

One “everyday American” “parent” is a GOP consultant who worked for the RNC in 2020

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3
2 hours ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

Ya, no one should take Fox seriously, but sadly millions of morons do.  Yet another example of how bad Fox News is can be demonstrated by reports like this:

https://www.mediamatters.org/fox-news/foxs-anti-critical-race-theory-parents-are-also-gop-activists

Fox’s anti-“critical race theory” parents are also GOP activists

One “everyday American” “parent” is a GOP consultant who worked for the RNC in 2020

This should surprise no-one. Faux has always used sources that mirror the politics of it and it's viewers. Remember when Sebastian Gorka was their "expert" on Terrorism and International affairs?

Shortly after taking a position in the Trump administration in early 2017, Gorka drew criticism from multiple commentators in academia and politics, who characterized him as a fringe figure in academic and policy-making circles.[7][8][15][56][57][58][59]Business Insider politics editor Pamela Engel has described Gorka as being "widely disdained within his own field."[8][60]

A number of academics and policymakers questioned Gorka's knowledge of foreign policy issues, his academic credentials and his professional behavior.[7][8][56][58][61][59][62]Andrew Reynolds, professor of political science at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, questioned the validity of Gorka's doctoral degree, noting discrepancies between how doctorates are normally awarded and how Gorka's was awarded. Reynolds said that the evaluation of each referee on Gorka's PhD committee was "a page of generalized comments – completely at odds with the detailed, substantive and methodological evaluations that I've seen at every Ph.D defence I've been on over the last twenty years." According to Reynolds, at least two of the three referees had only Bachelor of Arts degrees, and one of the referees had published with Gorka previously, in violation of the academic expectation that reviewers have no personal or other form of interest in the success of a candidate's thesis.[63][note 1]Georgetown University associate professor Daniel Nexon reviewed Gorka's Ph.D thesis, describing it as "inept" and saying "It does not deploy evidence that would satisfy the most basic methodological requirements for a Ph.D in the US".[58] Nexon ran Gorka's thesis text through plagiarism software, finding that portions of it were "repurposed", and concluded that he "might as well have mail-ordered his Ph.D.".[64]

The journal Terrorism and Political Violence had never used Gorka as a reviewer because, according to the associate editor, he "is not considered a terrorism expert by the academic or policy community."[65] In August 2017, Gorka falsely asserted that the Obama administration "invented" the term "lone-wolf terrorism", when in fact the term had been widely used in the academic literature, media and by governments long before Barack Obama took office.[66] Responding to his academic critics, Gorka said that there was an ongoing "proxy war" and that others were attacking him as a way to attack Trump.[67]

In February 2017, Stephen Walt, a professor of international affairs at the Harvard Kennedy School of Government, voiced his reservations about Gorka influencing policy in the White House, saying: "Gorka does not have much of a reputation in serious academic or policymaking circles. He has never published any scholarship of significance and his views on Islam and US national security are extreme even by Washington standards. His only real 'qualification' was his prior association with Breitbart News, which would be a demerit in any other administration."[68]

According to BuzzFeed, Gorka was unable to obtain a security clearance to work in the Hungarian Parliament.[69]

• Hydration 1
1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

This should surprise no-one. Faux has always used sources that mirror the politics of it and it's viewers. Remember when Sebastian Gorka was their "expert" on Terrorism and International affairs?

There have been quite a few inept and corrupt US administration's since that countries inception.

trumps administration will go down as the most corrupt and inept adminstration to date.

Here is a friend of mine having a conversation with that jerkoff 

https://www.news.com.au/world/laura-jayes-v-sebastian-gorka/video/f46ce812e2a390e87dcef013fe6bb9c3

Laura and I worked together for the Mt.Hotham media 20 years ago.

• Thanks 2
38 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

There have been quite a few inept and corrupt US administration's since that countries inception.

trumps administration will go down as the most corrupt and inept adminstration to date.

Here is a friend of mine having a conversation with that jerkoff 

https://www.news.com.au/world/laura-jayes-v-sebastian-gorka/video/f46ce812e2a390e87dcef013fe6bb9c3

Laura and I worked together for the Mt.Hotham media 20 years ago.

Good for her for keeping her cool, while that scumbag kept lying to her face and repeating debunked conspiracy theories....

One question was missing though: "If there is so much "proof", or even evidence, why was none of it entered into the 60+ court cases filed by Republicans?"

The answer is, they know it's not true and weren't willing to perjure themselves in a court of law. However, a TV show is something completely different.

• Like 2
44 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Good for her for keeping her cool, while that scumbag kept lying to her face and repeating debunked conspiracy theories....

One question was missing though: "If there is so much "proof", or even evidence, why was none of it entered into the 60+ court cases filed by Republicans?"

The answer is, they know it's not true and weren't willing to perjure themselves in a court of law. However, a TV show is something completely different.

Laura is a fantastic person and a solid journalist.

That lying maggot was so out of his league.

• Hydration 2
28 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

(now a huge majority disapprove *both* but I find it interesting how more than twice as many Dotard butt lickers like Poutine more than Sleepy Joe).

" I believe trump is an extraordinary individual,a talented individual"

Vladdy Poutine on his puppet.

I believe that explains why trump supporters have a favourable view of vladdy.

• Hydration 1

I know it's hard to keep up with Republican BS...but apparently the new narrative about the Jan 6th Insurrection is that it was a false flag....but not by ANTIFA....it was the FBI...

This "theory" comes from Tucker Carlson (who'd have guessed?) who jumped on an "article" from a conservative "News" website called Revolver News, which is run by a former Trump speechwriter, who was fired for appearing on a panel with a white nationalist. Of course, the fact that the source is completely biased means nothing to Carlson, who cares nothing about facts. His only focus in ginning up right wing outrage and mistrust in American institutions.

This article by Politifact explains the new Republican attempt at throwing shade at the facts. It also points out why it's bogus:

https://www.politifact.com/article/2021/jun/18/why-new-false-flag-conspiracy-theory-fbi-orchestra/ 

• Thanks 1
5 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I know it's hard to keep up with Republican BS...but apparently the new narrative about the Jan 6th Insurrection is that it was a false flag....but not by ANTIFA....it was the FBI...

This "theory" comes from Tucker Carlson (who'd have guessed?) who jumped on an "article" from a conservative "News" website called Revolver News, which is run by a former Trump speechwriter, who was fired for appearing on a panel with a white nationalist. Of course, the fact that the source is completely biased means nothing to Carlson, who cares nothing about facts. His only focus in ginning up right wing outrage and mistrust in American institutions.

This article by Politifact explains the new Republican attempt at throwing shade at the facts. It also points out why it's bogus:

https://www.politifact.com/article/2021/jun/18/why-new-false-flag-conspiracy-theory-fbi-orchestra/ 

I saw the clip by Tucker discussing it. Said Revolver was one of the last true sources for news. You mean that's not true? 

12 hours ago, Gnarcore said:

I saw the clip by Tucker discussing it. Said Revolver was one of the last true sources for news. You mean that's not true? 

Interesting that Tucker doesn't include Faux News in that group....but no, I don't think it is:

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/revolver-news/

Soooo.....Monday morning....the prospect of the work week ahead and the weekend behind...I'm slogging through newsfeeds, looking for something, anything to brighten up my day....

....and then I see that Ron Johnson got booed during a speech in his home state of Wisconsin:

https://madison.com/wsj/news/local/govt-and-politics/wisconsin-sen-ron-johnson-booed-at-juneteenth-day-event/article_74d35af0-a2c4-5e87-b2de-6dfc386801f3.html

Republican U.S. Sen. Ron Johnson joined in a Juneteenth Day celebration in his home state, only to see his speech drowned out by a chorus of boos.

Johnson, of Oshkosh, made an appearance Saturday at a Republican Party booth in Milwaukee, where he drew a growing crowd once people recognized him. Some people swore at him and said, “We don’t want you here.”

Last year Johnson blocked legislation to make Juneteenth a national holiday. Last week he relented while saying “it still seems strange” that taxpayers should fund time off for federal employees to celebrate the end of slavery. The bill was quickly passed and signed by President Joe Biden.

When asked what he thought of the boos Saturday, Johnson said: “This is unusual for Wisconsin. Most people in Wisconsin say, ‘You are in our prayers; we are praying for you.’ ... But you got some people here that are just sort of nasty at some points.”

One attendee, Robert Agnew, told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel he thought the reason for the taunting was because “Ron Johnson’s politics are not for us.”

Sometimes, you just have to enjoy the little things....

• Haha 2