The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

USA Politics/Election Thread: Joe Biden, 46th President of the US

7 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Someone remind me again how the GOP is different than the CCP?

You go far enough to the right, and you'll meet some dudes on the left (and visa-versa).

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Like 1
  • Hydration 1
2 hours ago, 24K PureCool said:

One does not have Communist in its name, and that made all the difference. 

Communist in name only.  Their policies - especially in recent years - are quite divergent from the spirit of communism as it was initially envisioned.

14 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Communist in name only.  Their policies - especially in recent years - are quite divergent from the spirit of communism as it was initially envisioned.

Ya.  Having legions of millionaires and billionaires, whose wealth and numbers have only increased since this article was published, is kinda the opposite of communism. 

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/oct/21/china-overtakes-us-in-rankings-of-worlds-richest-people

China overtakes US in rankings of world's richest people

This article is more than 1 year old

Credit Suisse survey shows Brexit effect has reduced number of UK millionaires by 27,000

• Vintage 2
7 hours ago, Warhippy said:

That law is :unsure:, hard to believe anyone would think that's a good idea, but I guess I'd be surprised.  To answer your question (sorry for opening a massive can of worms), I'd say genocide.

11 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

^^that was truly one of the best moments. I still laugh thinking about that.

2 minutes ago, Hamhuis Hip Check said:

I wish i could have been there when he realized how bad they f****d up

Give him a break… at least there was blow-up-dolls for sale next door…

• Hydration 1
9 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Been saying it all along.

What is the common dominator ?

They are both groups of sapiens who will do anything to maintain power.

Was watching A Time to Kill last night.

The whole movie is full of quotes I could use however it is towards the end of the movie when Matthew McConaughey's character is telling Samuel .L.Jacksons character to accept a plea deal.

Sam explains that there has been a war going on in the US since its inception and he choose him to represent him because for all his good intentions he is still the enemy.

When China persecuted the Uighurs there is an outcry and sanctions are called for.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-56487162

The US has been persecuting people of colour for hundreds of years,haven't heard of sanctions being enforced on them.

Side note for anyone who has not seen that movie I highly recommend it.

Edited by Ilunga
1 hour ago, BoKnows said:

That law is :unsure:, hard to believe anyone would think that's a good idea, but I guess I'd be surprised.  To answer your question (sorry for opening a massive can of worms), I'd say genocide.

Kinda like the US has treated people of colour over the last couple of centuries ?

Or maybe how the almost exterminated the original inhabitants of their country ?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2021/04/29/us-biden-armenian-genocide-native-americans-recognition/

3 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

Kinda like the US has treated people of colour over the last couple of centuries ?

Or maybe how the almost exterminated the original inhabitants of their country ?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2021/04/29/us-biden-armenian-genocide-native-americans-recognition/

Little bit of a red herring, but the Uyghurs is an on going crisis.

I agree that the USA can treat their POC population better and should make recognize all the bad stuff that happened back in the day.  No active genocide happening in the states right now.

3 minutes ago, BoKnows said:

Little bit of a red herring, but the Uyghurs is an on going crisis.

I agree that the USA can treat their POC population better and should make recognize all the bad stuff that happened back in the day.  No active genocide happening in the states right now.

Tell that to the surviving native Americans.

I wonder how you would feel if you were one of them..walk a mile in their shoes ?

I suggest you do some research on the conditions on Native American reservations.

And while it is indeed history it is the history America is built upon.

Sooner than later what China is doing will be history.

Right now ....................is history 

Was reading an opinion that was commissioned by the global action network and the world Uighur Congress and some of the things it states reminds me of Americas treatment of Muslims in Guantanamo bay,electric shocks,forced to remain in stress positions for an extended period of time,beaten,deprived of food,shackled and blindfolded.

Now I know we are only 

dealing with hundreds of people not tens of thousands however the point remains the same.

A group of people taking away another group of people's human rights.

And just to be clear because it seems some posters on this board cannot distinguish the difference between an ideological argument and some one trying to defend a corrupt and inhumane system.

I condemn all human rights abuses.

I condemn ping for all of his actions that have a negative impact on others both within his country and outside of it.

6 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

Tell that to the surviving native Americans.

I wonder how you would feel if you were one of them..walk a mile in their shoes ?

I suggest you do some research on the conditions on Native American reservations.

And while it is indeed history it is the history America is built upon.

Sooner than later what China is doing will be history.

Right now ....................is history 

Was reading an opinion that was commissioned by the global action network and the world Uighur Congress and some of the things it states reminds me of Americas treatment of Muslims in Guantanamo bay,electric shocks,forced to remain in stress positions for an extended period of time,beaten,deprived of food,shackled and blindfolded.

Now I know we are only 

dealing with hundreds of people not tens of thousands however the point remains the same.

A group of people taking away another group of people's human rights.

And just to be clear because it seems some posters on this board cannot distinguish the difference between an ideological argument and some one trying to defend a corrupt and inhumane system.

I condemn all human rights abuses.

I condemn ping for all of his actions that have a negative impact on others both within his country and outside of it.

Go back to the post you quoted, second paragraph first sentence...  Read it again.  Yeah I agree the reserves need to be better.  Me saying that there's a genocide happening across the world doesn't excuse the living conditions on the reserve.

1 minute ago, BoKnows said:

Go back to the post you quoted, second paragraph first sentence...  Read it again.  Yeah I agree the reserves need to be better.  Me saying that there's a genocide happening across the world doesn't excuse the living conditions on the reserve.

I read your post correctly the first time.

I have no need to read it again as it does not affect what I posted in reply.

As you have stated there are genocides going on ACROSS the world.

The Rohingya in Myanmar 

The Nuer and other ethnic groups in South Sudan 

Christians and Muslims in the Central African Republic 

The Darfuris in Sudan 

The Yazidis in Iraq and Syria.

While the Rohingya get a bit of coverage in the press none of the others do the focus is on China's treatment of its Muslims 

Wonder why this is ?

11 minutes ago, BoKnows said:

I also don't understand the deflection

There is no deflection 

You replied to a question that was asked about the CCP being different from the GOP and you stated genocide was the difference.