The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

USA Politics/Election Thread: Joe Biden, Donald Trump, Democrats, Republicans, et al.

DonLever

On 6/29/2019 at 2:16 AM, Darkstar said:

There's no way Trump doesn't win in 2020. And this is coming from someone who isn't a Trump supporter. 

He has it in the bag. 

Sadly, hard not to agree with you when you watched that "debate" and see how far off the message people want to hear the Democrats have gone.   Even the irony of their mouthpiece AOC calling out another for staying in their lane - wow, the average US citizen must be doing face-palms all day long.

It is a pretty sad statement when this guy in the Oval office will likely be returned to that office in spite of all the lies, bluster and incompetence simply because there is no credible opposition.    All it would take is ONE credible Democrat to talk sanely about immigration reform, economic logic, fair taxation and health care with flexibility and this ugly chapter in global history could be closed in a few months but even Biden has done a 180 from past positions.   It is almost like each candidate is trying to outdo the other in terms of how far left they can go - and when there are 20 something of these zealots, the iterative conclusion is so far removed from what the majority of US citizens likely want that they will likely hold their collective noses and vote for Trump in spite of scandals, polls and pretty much every news organization in the US being a Super PAC for the Democrats.

Crazy times.   

24 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Wow, you having trouble sitting down today?    Next you are going to say that he grew up working class and understands the plight of the common person due to his enormous sacrifices along the way (like not getting his entire trust fund until 25).    

Didn't know Teddy Roosevelt - but being a paperboy is a noble, hard-working endeavour for a young person.   Would have been good for building character I would imagine.   Perhaps you could have benefited?   :)

tenor.gif

• Upvote 1

A fair bit of childish fun.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/unwanted-ivanka-memes-put-ivanka-trump-on-the-front-lines-of-history/ar-AADKtuK?ocid=spartandhp

a girl posing for a picture: Ivanka Trump is depicted walking on the moon in this edited NASA/Getty photo.© Intelligencer; Photos: NASA; Getty Images Ivanka Trump is depicted walking on the moon in this edited NASA/Getty photo.

Well-known not-world-leader Ivanka Trump made an appearance at the annual G20 summit in Osaka over the weekend. She spent time talking to, or if the videos are to be believed, trying to talk with officials from all over the globe. This produced one particularly good clip of her appearing to be unable to contribute anything to a conversation with French president Emmanuel Macron, British prime minister Theresa May, Canadian prime minister Justin Trudeau, and International Monetary Fund director Christine Lagarde. (The video, deliciously, was released by the French government.)

Following her G20 appearance, Trump started popping up on Twitter in lots of famous situations where she shouldn’t be. The hashtag #UnwantedIvanka was started by writer and podcaster Erin Gloria Ryan. “The reason I started the #UnwantedIvanka hashtag was because I find her presence in high level diplomatic talks embarrassing, ridiculous, and dangerous,” she tweeted. “The reason it took off is that *lots* of people, from all over the world, apparently agree.” Think Ivanka at the first moon landing, raising the flag at Iwo Jima, and taking the field with Megan Rapinoe.

And honestly, it’s easier to just show you than to explain further.

Ivanka Trump … thank you for your service.

• Haha 2

38 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Wow, you having trouble sitting down today?    Next you are going to say that he grew up working class and understands the plight of the common person due to his enormous sacrifices along the way (like not getting his entire trust fund until 25).    

So we're clear.  Trudeau has had more real world life and job experience than Scheer has.  Scheer has literally never had a real job outside of busboy that he earned himself and 9 months at a friends insurance agency doesn't really count.  He has been involved with politics as a staple since he was 18.

When people claim Trudeau doesn't understand the plight of the working class but suggest voting for Scheer I cringe at the level of intentional ignorance a person has to be displaying.

This election will be about voting in the least disgusting turd, much like the last election was about voting out the most objectionable turd.

But to claim Trudeau has no real world experience is funny, because out of the 4 available party leaders for real world experience in the work force or life experience

May

Trudeau

Singh

Scheer

And that is a damning statement about the quality of Canadian politics right now

• Upvote 4

10 minutes ago, gurn said:

A fair bit of childish fun.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/unwanted-ivanka-memes-put-ivanka-trump-on-the-front-lines-of-history/ar-AADKtuK?ocid=spartandhp

a girl posing for a picture: Ivanka Trump is depicted walking on the moon in this edited NASA/Getty photo.© Intelligencer; Photos: NASA; Getty Images Ivanka Trump is depicted walking on the moon in this edited NASA/Getty photo.

Well-known not-world-leader Ivanka Trump made an appearance at the annual G20 summit in Osaka over the weekend. She spent time talking to, or if the videos are to be believed, trying to talk with officials from all over the globe. This produced one particularly good clip of her appearing to be unable to contribute anything to a conversation with French president Emmanuel Macron, British prime minister Theresa May, Canadian prime minister Justin Trudeau, and International Monetary Fund director Christine Lagarde. (The video, deliciously, was released by the French government.)

Following her G20 appearance, Trump started popping up on Twitter in lots of famous situations where she shouldn’t be. The hashtag #UnwantedIvanka was started by writer and podcaster Erin Gloria Ryan. “The reason I started the #UnwantedIvanka hashtag was because I find her presence in high level diplomatic talks embarrassing, ridiculous, and dangerous,” she tweeted. “The reason it took off is that *lots* of people, from all over the world, apparently agree.” Think Ivanka at the first moon landing, raising the flag at Iwo Jima, and taking the field with Megan Rapinoe.

And honestly, it’s easier to just show you than to explain further.

There's a ton of them floating around: 2 of my favorites:

image.png.2e990a87261fd4f28ff49d48810e3fbc.png

image.png.fbafc1e2c02c94d170669c6caa67e0f1.png

Lots more can be found here https://www.boredpanda.com/unwated-ivanka-trump-meme-g20-summit-japan/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=organic

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

It is such a fun read (this thread) from time to time but it always raises a question - while there is no question this President is a trainwreck of epic proportions, why does he trigger so many in a way that gets them blinded by so much?   Conclusion has to be simply that he was not supposed to win - that seems to be about the only reason the reactions are so hysterical and, at times, at odds with the nature of the issue.    

We all remember the Liberals (and, frankly, many others) laughing at him, called him names, and everybody from Late Night Comedians, to News Anchors, “Guaranteed” America that he would never be elected. Dozens of Hollywood celebrities got an extra 15 minutes of fame by promising to leave the the US “Permanently” if Trump was elected - not sure any every did but it was good theatre at the time.  

Seems so many cannot give up on fighting 2016 over and over.  Hillary was the Liberals saviour following in the footsteps of Obama and who would continue all of his trends and preserve their base of power and influence. Minutes before midnight on election night the Democrats still bad-mouthed Trump, positive that their saviour would “Save the Day.”

Instead, America spoke. Trump won. The Liberals Screamed in anguish at the sky!  Memes for the ages were created from the anguished whines.  The first day after the election began plans for impeachment - before the Electoral College even confirmed the vote.  So many were crying out for impeachment, investigation, assassination, every conceivable retribution one could even imagine. Democrats “Vowed” to Resist, Obstruct and Deny anything and everything that the new administration wanted. They refused his cabinet nominees, verbally began to “murder” him by use of the media, and “Hate Trump” became the nation’s latest and greatest Blood Sport.

This dude has trolled so many to the point where, as mirrored by the massive thread, sensical alternatives to his divisive policies are absent and logical retorts to his policies that actual work are a pipe dream.    The Liberals have assembled a massive field of candidates to dethrone their evil rival and if the debates were any indication, he is so far into their heads (like he is with many in this thread), logical discourse was not even a remote consideration in their rush to out "left" each other in a mad race to ..... well, get the average US citizen to actually think the dude in charge may be worth another shot.

I sure hope this is a one and done President but when I see the alternatives and see how he triggers many (as mirrored by this thread), I am deeply worried he is so far into people's heads he has many of you just where he wants you.    

My wish - someone to run against him that will stop the insanity by ignoring those who are so triggered and get back to promoting logical policies (social and economic) that will viable alternatives to this current idiot.    Until then, get ready for a doubling of this massive thread as four more years will be the result otherwise.    

9 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

So we're clear.  Trudeau has had more real world life and job experience than Scheer has.  Scheer has literally never had a real job outside of busboy that he earned himself and 9 months at a friends insurance agency doesn't really count.  He has been involved with politics as a staple since he was 18.

When people claim Trudeau doesn't understand the plight of the working class but suggest voting for Scheer I cringe at the level of intentional ignorance a person has to be displaying.

This election will be about voting in the least disgusting turd, much like the last election was about voting out the most objectionable turd.

But to claim Trudeau has no real world experience is funny, because out of the 4 available party leaders for real world experience in the work force or life experience

May

Trudeau

Singh

Scheer

And that is a damning statement about the quality of Canadian politics right now

Scheer would be a horrific PM.    Wasn't talking about him though.  If we want to play the compare game, none of the current people can hold a candle to Harper in terms of qualifications to be the PM.   Scheer would be an epic fail for Canada - perhaps not as bad as Trudeau but the potential to be worse is there too.

I don't disagree with your rankings at all.   Sad part is (just as in the US), the alternatives to a crap leader are so horrible.....it may just lead to each being re-elected in spite of their horrible abilities.

10 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

It is such a fun read (this thread) from time to time but it always raises a question - while there is no question this President is a trainwreck of epic proportions, why does he trigger so many in a way that gets them blinded by so much?   Conclusion has to be simply that he was not supposed to win - that seems to be about the only reason the reactions are so hysterical and, at times, at odds with the nature of the issue.    

We all remember the Liberals (and, frankly, many others) laughing at him, called him names, and everybody from Late Night Comedians, to News Anchors, “Guaranteed” America that he would never be elected. Dozens of Hollywood celebrities got an extra 15 minutes of fame by promising to leave the the US “Permanently” if Trump was elected - not sure any every did but it was good theatre at the time.  

Seems so many cannot give up on fighting 2016 over and over.  Hillary was the Liberals saviour following in the footsteps of Obama and who would continue all of his trends and preserve their base of power and influence. Minutes before midnight on election night the Democrats still bad-mouthed Trump, positive that their saviour would “Save the Day.”

Instead, America spoke. Trump won. The Liberals Screamed in anguish at the sky!  Memes for the ages were created from the anguished whines.  The first day after the election began plans for impeachment - before the Electoral College even confirmed the vote.  So many were crying out for impeachment, investigation, assassination, every conceivable retribution one could even imagine. Democrats “Vowed” to Resist, Obstruct and Deny anything and everything that the new administration wanted. They refused his cabinet nominees, verbally began to “murder” him by use of the media, and “Hate Trump” became the nation’s latest and greatest Blood Sport.

This dude has trolled so many to the point where, as mirrored by the massive thread, sensical alternatives to his divisive policies are absent and logical retorts to his policies that actual work are a pipe dream.    The Liberals have assembled a massive field of candidates to dethrone their evil rival and if the debates were any indication, he is so far into their heads (like he is with many in this thread), logical discourse was not even a remote consideration in their rush to out "left" each other in a mad race to ..... well, get the average US citizen to actually think the dude in charge may be worth another shot.

I sure hope this is a one and done President but when I see the alternatives and see how he triggers many (as mirrored by this thread), I am deeply worried he is so far into people's heads he has many of you just where he wants you.    

My wish - someone to run against him that will stop the insanity by ignoring those who are so triggered and get back to promoting logical policies (social and economic) that will viable alternatives to this current idiot.    Until then, get ready for a doubling of this massive thread as four more years will be the result otherwise.    

I saw five or six viable alternatives to Trump last week during the debates myself. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

I saw five or six viable alternatives to Trump last week during the debates myself. 

I saw 20 or so - none of them really viable.   Who did you think was a realistic alternative that isn't simply trying to "out left" the others?    My feed didn't provide those alternatives - I only saw people long on whine but incredibly short on pragmatic and viable solutions.

1 minute ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I saw 20 or so - none of them really viable.   Who did you think was a realistic alternative that isn't simply trying to "out left" the others?    My feed didn't provide those alternatives - I only saw people long on whine but incredibly short on pragmatic and viable solutions.

Buttigieg, Harris, Warren, Biden, Gabbard. I guess I watched a better feed than yours. 

• Hydration 2
  • Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Honestly, I doubt there are many here that are "triggered" by Trump. Most of us follow politics and he, unfortunately, is a big part of the politic landscape currently. 

Most media pundits/liberals/etc. laughed at Trump because he was a joke of a candidate. No political experience, limited vocabulary, speeches filled with so much hyperbole and repetitive structure that it would make you laugh. But they all underestimated the power of Fox news, alt-websites, and facebook faux news that fills the screens of the geriatric population. 

I, for one, do not think Trump is trolling or playing some grand scheme. He's a guy who may be suffering from the onset of dementia and clearly has a narcissistic disorder. He's doing what his brain tells him is right and he can't really think another way. I'll poke fun at Trump but I do feel sorry for him mostly, I should be poking fun at the people that actually voted him in. Most people know a narcissist in their lives who they can't stand, yet somehow there were enough people to vote one of those types to president. 

Don't know where you're getting off about Hilary Clinton being a saviour. Look at all the jumpers from Sanders to Trump instead of to Clinton. There was a sizeable portion of the population that was "anyone but Hilary". 

I mean, making fun of the "left" or the "right" has become the political landscape and standard. So why be perked about people being anti-Trump?  A link to a conservative forum will just have all the same posts except they'll be against AOC, Clinton, Obama, etc. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Shift-4 said:

that's not saying much

It really isn't but my GF is currently being spammed with crystal ball emoji's on Twitter by Marriane Williamson supporters because she mentioned her in a tweet; so there are definitely less viable options out there. 

1 minute ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Buttigieg, Harris, Warren, Biden, Gabbard. I guess I watched a better feed than yours. 

Must have been.   Mine showed Biden all over the map (and contradicting himself badly on solid stances he took just a few years ago).  Buttigieg I will agree with you to some degree - I di like his honesty about failing to do much to improve the police force under his watch....it was candid admission of failure (refreshing that someone does that anymore in politics).  Harris is too preoccupied with Trump - he is so far into her head she seems to talk about nothing else.   Warren when I think about it was probably the most "Presidential" of the group and did ok at staying away from trying to "out Trump, Trump".    None of them seemingly a home run candidate is my concern but if I had to pick two to emerge and square off to find the "answer", it would be Warren and Buttigieg from the masses....but doing so makes me wonder if either would win against the Trumpster.   That is my worry. 

28 minutes ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

Case in point about the Faux News bubble:

http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/07/fox-hosts-wed-attack-obama-praise-trump-for-same-thing.html

Fox News Hosts: Of Course We’d Attack Obama, Praise Trump for Doing the Same Things

Same thing from CNN in the reverse.   I don't know why this is a headline or a surprise for anyone.

55 minutes ago, Duodenum said:

Honestly, I doubt there are many here that are "triggered" by Trump.

Have you read the this thread?   I could not come up with a better definition of the term.   Most of the posts I read here have me seeing this as the person saying the words:

tenor.gif

• -SN- changed the title to USA Politics/Election Thread
  • DonLever changed the title to USA Politics/Election Thread: Joe Biden, Donald Trump, Democrats, Republicans, et al.