The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

USA Politics/Election Thread: Joe Biden, Donald Trump, Democrats, Republicans, et al.

Good article from Perry Bacon of the FiveThirtyEight about covering politics in the era of Trump.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/nine-lessons-i-learned-about-political-reporting-while-covering-trump/?utm_source=pocket-newtab

It's as long article and the formatting would make it tricky to copy and put in spoilers, so I'm just posting the link. Some excellent insights there...

With Biden declaring full on war in Syria and potentially sending hundreds of thousands of solders back to the middle east one has to wonder if this is a smoke screen to cover the Hunter Biden treason investigation. 

• Haha 3
7 minutes ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

With Biden declaring full on war in Syria and potentially sending hundreds of thousands of solders back to the middle east one has to wonder if this is a smoke screen to cover the Hunter Biden treason investigation. 

I think it’s still in the too early to tell processes. I would rather find a different way than bombing since that’s been shown to not be a diplomatic solution in the past but it is too early to jump the gun quite yet. 

4 minutes ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

How would it create a smoke screen? If the findings of the Hunter Biden investigation have legitimate tangible evidence nothing should screen that. If there ends up being no evidence than Biden has no reason to screen in the first place.

The real reason why he's doing what he's doing is to show Iran he's not going to be a pushover all while still maintaining negotiations with Iran. It's strategy. All the Hunter Biden stuff is is the right wing trying to create propaganda like it always does. It's an investigation, meaning it might not have even happened.

• Vintage 1
20 minutes ago, The Lock said:

How would it create a smoke screen? If the findings of the Hunter Biden investigation have legitimate tangible evidence nothing should screen that. If there ends up being no evidence than Biden has no reason to screen in the first place.

The real reason why he's doing what he's doing is to show Iran he's not going to be a pushover all while still maintaining negotiations with Iran. It's strategy. All the Hunter Biden stuff is is the right wing trying to create propaganda like it always does. It's an investigation, meaning it might not have even happened.

Ronaldoescobar is CDC's leading user of hyperbolic sarcasm.

• Hydration 2
1 minute ago, gurn said:

Ronaldoescobar is CDC's leading user of hyperbolic sarcasm.

That's fair then. I'll start investigating his sarcasm and try and connect him to Hunter Biden's investigation as well.

• Haha 3
6 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

So Trump was actually the one keeping the war pigs at bay.

Nope, Drumpy was bombing airports and assassinating military leaders while he was in as well.

• Hydration 2
  • Upvote 1
6 minutes ago, gurn said:

Nope, Drumpy was bombing airports and assassinating military leaders while he was in as well.

TBH though bombing the Middle East has been like a passage of rite for each president since the 2000s. 

It is nothing new for either side. Not really a left or right issue either.

If you have gripes take it up with the US military leaders who constantly push these sort of things to each president. 

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1
12 minutes ago, gurn said:

Right technically didn’t start a war though. Actually withdrew troops too.

Just the typical covert operations.

Not saying he deserves any sort of respect, just that it was kind of the opposite of what people thought would happen.

4 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

TBH though bombing the Middle East has been like a passage of rite for each president since the 2000s. 

It is nothing new for either side. Not really a left or right issue either.

If you have gripes take it up with the US military leaders who constantly push these sort of things to each president. 

Well said.

I was critical of Trump for assassinating Soleimani, but the more I dug into it, the more it was revealed that Pompeo was the guy who pushed for it. My guess is that Trump had little (if any) idea who he was....

1 minute ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Well said.

I was critical of Trump for assassinating Soleimani, but the more I dug into it, the more it was revealed that Pompeo was the guy who pushed for it. My guess is that Trump had little (if any) idea who he was....

I don’t expect politicians to know much when it comes to military stuff unless they come from that sort of background and even then you’d need to be high up in the military.  

They approve of it sure, but how many of them have the proper perspective needed to truly make these decisions in the appropriate manner?  How much of it is leaning on the military leadership?  

Perhaps 2nd terms have a better understanding after dealing with the military the prior term but who knows. 

It’s almost like a hockey GM listening to his scouts on a player and putting his trust in them.

When you have a lot of power you are only as smart with it as the people you surround yourself with. 

• Hydration 1
1 minute ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I don’t expect politicians to know much when it comes to military stuff unless they come from that sort of background and even then you’d need to be high up in the military.  

They approve of it sure, but how many of them have the proper perspective needed to truly make these decisions in the appropriate manner?  How much of it is leaning on the military leadership?  

Perhaps 2nd terms have a better understanding after dealing with the military the prior term but who knows. 

It’s almost like a hockey GM listening to his scouts on a player and putting his trust in them.

When you have a lot of power you are only as smart with it as the people you surround yourself with. 

Amen.

This is one of the main reasons I am critical of Trump. Instead of surrounding himself with experts, he surrounds himself with sycophants and sometimes those sycophants (like Pompeo, Miller and DeVos) have an agenda....

• Vintage 1
25 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Right technically didn’t start a war though. Actually withdrew troops too.

Just the typical covert operations.

Not saying he deserves any sort of respect, just that it was kind of the opposite of what people thought would happen.

True, and Trump, like anyone, is realistically going to have some positives associated with him, as does anyone in history (some you have to look harder than others and maybe have to question the ethics... but it's there!).

Just the negatives far outweighed the positives, which I'm assuming you already knew anyway given your response. lol

Edited by The Lock
  • DonLever changed the title to USA Politics/Election Thread: Joe Biden, Donald Trump, Democrats, Republicans, et al.