The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

USA Politics/Election Thread: Joe Biden, Donald Trump, Democrats, Republicans, et al.

DonLever

6 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Amen.

This is one of the main reasons I am critical of Trump. Instead of surrounding himself with experts, he surrounds himself with sycophants and sometimes those sycophants (like Pompeo, Miller and DeVos) have an agenda....

A part of the reason he did that is because he made so many enemies on the left. He limited himself. 

What a lot of conservatives liked about him was that he was against the Twitter mob progressive/‘radical’ side of the left(whatever you want to call it). Which is not an awful concept but his execution of it was horrid. 

His mistake was lobbing all the democrats with one contingent of them. Then he created his own mob of Trumpers. So he created what he was initially against.

Very divisive and easy to hate. Put the rest of the right that aren’t super devoted to him between a rock and a hard place. 

So now all we see are the Trumpers and Trump now made it easy to lump all conservatives with them and him. 

This is why I encourage more of the right(and both sides) to have open conversations. So they misconceptions aren’t created because of the actions of one contingent of your side. 

I kind of worry that lines are being drawn on top a slowly dying moderate side of politics. 

19 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

A part of the reason he did that is because he made so many enemies on the left. He limited himself. 

What a lot of conservatives liked about him was that he was against the Twitter mob progressive/‘radical’ side of the left(whatever you want to call it). Which is not an awful concept but his execution of it was horrid. 

His mistake was lobbing all the democrats with one contingent of them. Then he created his own mob of Trumpers. So he created what he was initially against.

Very divisive and easy to hate. Put the rest of the right that aren’t super devoted to him between a rock and a hard place. 

So now all we see are the Trumpers and Trump now made it easy to lump all conservatives with them and him. 

This is why I encourage more of the right(and both sides) to have open conversations. So they misconceptions aren’t created because of the actions of one contingent of your side. 

I kind of worry that lines are being drawn on top a slowly dying moderate side of politics. 

I'm not sure this is it...we have to remember that Trump views relationships (other than family, mostly) are purely transactional. "You do something for me and I'll do something for you"...

This is how Betsy DeVos, a woman with zero experience in education became Education Secretary. She was a big donor to the trump campaign and she was a big advocate of funding for private schools (mostly religious schools) and school "choice". "School choice", or "freedom" was a euphemism for allowing parents to choose which school their kids could go to, regardless of which catchment they were in. Basically, it was for rich people, who didn't want to send their kids to schools where the rest of the students weren't white and rich as well.

Since Trump doesn't really GAF about education, but does want people to donate money to his campaigns, he was happy to make that "deal" with DeVos. The end result being that Trump gets a bunch of money and the American people get a woefully unqualified Education Secretary.

EDIT: Here's a pretty good article that explains how historically bad BdV was:

https://www.npr.org/2020/11/19/936225974/the-legacy-of-education-secretary-betsy-devos

Edited by RUPERTKBD
  • Like 1
  • Hydration 1

Something...something...golden calf?

Conservatives attempt to deflect blame:

"Those damn Antifa, putting a golden statue of TRUMP at CPAC to make American Conservatives look ridiculous."

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/540678-golden-statue-of-trump-at-cpac-draws-ridicule-online

Golden statue of Trump at CPAC ridiculed online

7 minutes ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

Something...something...golden calf?

Conservatives attempt to deflect blame:

"Those damn Antifa, putting a golden statue of TRUMP at CPAC to make American Conservatives look ridiculous."

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/540678-golden-statue-of-trump-at-cpac-draws-ridicule-online

Golden statue of Trump at CPAC ridiculed online

I'm pretty sure the Golden Calf angle was the first thing that popped into most people's minds....

Another story that is getting a fair amount of attention is how many Republicans are claiming they can't attend congressional voting sessions "due to public health concerns", yet are scheduled to speak at CPAC....:rolleyes:

https://theweek.com/speedreads/969334/gop-lawmakers-reportedly-cite-public-health-emergency-skipping-votes-despite-speaking-cpac

Apparently "Flyin'" Ted got a standing O for successfully completing the extremely difficult double backflip, with a half twist, while e-fellating a twice impeached former POTUS. Most pundits doubted he could stick the landing....

• Hydration 2

3 minutes ago, Canorth said:

Fair enough 

I think the comments as they rolled it through the building tell the story....."cool", "awesome" etc....

It's only people that haven't drunk the Kool-Aid who realize that he looks like a clown. The disciples see Golden Jesus....

• Hydration 1

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

So Trump was actually the one keeping the war pigs at bay.

Who would’ve thought...

Nah. Trump dropped more bombs than Obama. Also ramped up covert ops and supported the atrocities in Yemen. 

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Right technically didn’t start a war though. Actually withdrew troops too.

Just the typical covert operations.

Not saying he deserves any sort of respect, just that it was kind of the opposite of what people thought would happen.

Trump always stated that he wanted to bring home bring American troops and stop the "endless wars".

I honestly believe he wanted to do that, however he was too stupid and the morons that advised him did not want that.

I also believe/know that it's American aggression towards Iran that help keep the extremist religious leaders in power.

In other news, water is wet.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/26/us-intelligence-concludes-saudi-crown-prince-mohammed-bin-salman-approved-killing-of-journalist-jamal-khashoggi-.html?__source=androidappshare

U.S. says Saudi crown prince approved Khashoggi killing, imposes visa restrictions on 76 Saudis

• Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman approved an operation to capture or kill journalist Jamal Khashoggi in 2018 in the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul, a U.S. intelligence report says.
  • The Office of the Director of National Intelligence cited the crown prince’s control of decision-making in Saudi Arabia.
  • Secretary of State Anthony Blinken imposed visa restrictions on 76 Saudi individuals whom he said are “believed to have been engaged in threatening dissidents overseas, including but not limited to the Khashoggi killing.”
  • The Biden administration has been reviewing U.S.-Saudi relations, which were particularly close under former President Donald Trump.

• Hydration 1

27 minutes ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

In other news, water is wet.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/26/us-intelligence-concludes-saudi-crown-prince-mohammed-bin-salman-approved-killing-of-journalist-jamal-khashoggi-.html?__source=androidappshare

U.S. says Saudi crown prince approved Khashoggi killing, imposes visa restrictions on 76 Saudis

• Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman approved an operation to capture or kill journalist Jamal Khashoggi in 2018 in the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul, a U.S. intelligence report says.
  • The Office of the Director of National Intelligence cited the crown prince’s control of decision-making in Saudi Arabia.
  • Secretary of State Anthony Blinken imposed visa restrictions on 76 Saudi individuals whom he said are “believed to have been engaged in threatening dissidents overseas, including but not limited to the Khashoggi killing.”
  • The Biden administration has been reviewing U.S.-Saudi relations, which were particularly close under former President Donald Trump.

Not visa restrictions!! That’s too far ;)

• Hydration 1
  • Vintage 1

55 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

It's easy to say "bring our troops home" and "get out of the Middle East", etc....

....but foreign policy is far more complicated than that. You can go in with the best of intentions, but reality gets in the way...

The west has effed with the Arabian tribes ever since the crusades then in modern times they used them in WW1 then sold them out with the sykes- picot agreement.

Since the 70's it has basically been a testing ground for the military industrial complex.

4 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Well said.

I was critical of Trump for assassinating Soleimani, but the more I dug into it, the more it was revealed that Pompeo was the guy who pushed for it. My guess is that Trump had little (if any) idea who he was....

He probably thought it was a guy that owned Persian rug store on UES.

• Hydration 2

16 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

The west has effed with the Arabian tribes ever since the crusades then in modern times they used them in WW1 then sold them out with the sykes- picot agreement.

Since the 70's it has basically been a testing ground for the military industrial complex.

If Standard Oil didn’t discover oil back in 1930s and formed Aramco with Saudis.

No one would care about Arabs living in that area, same goes for Bahrain, Qatar, UAE etc.

5 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

If Standard Oil didn’t discover oil back in 1930s and formed Aramco with Saudis.

No one would care about Arabs living in that area, same goes for Bahrain, Qatar, UAE etc.

The middle east also comprises Israel the so called holy land.

That belief has caused so much grief and BS to this day.

If one believes a god spoke to an old Semite in the wilderness promising him he would find a home for his homeless people there,then I got some prime swampland to sell them.

6 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

The middle east also comprises Israel the so called holy land.

That belief has caused so much grief and BS to this day.

If one believes a god spoke to an old Semite in the wilderness promising him he would find a home for his homeless people there,then I got some prime swampland to sell them.

I think Jesse Helms referred to Israel as largest US airplane carrier.

Relationship between U.S and Israel only grew stronger as Arabs were turning to Soviet Union.

Later it became influenced by Jewish lobby in the U.S and religious views on Israel.

Lot of towns in the 20th century were so called sundown towns where Jews were not allowed.

Even in Florida so many country clubs do not accept Jews as members even recently.

Klan hated Jews as much as they hated blacks and Catholics.

• DonLever changed the title to USA Politics/Election Thread: Joe Biden, Donald Trump, Democrats, Republicans, et al.