The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

USA Politics/Election Thread: Joe Biden, Donald Trump, Democrats, Republicans, et al.

DonLever

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Not sure how many of us watched "Last Week Tonight with John Oliver" last night, but Oliver basically tore Cops a new one....

His "main story" was about Police Raids and how they are abused by law enforcement, resulting in needless injuries and deaths every year. The vast majority are drug raids and as Oliver pointed out, the bar for obtaining permission to carry out these raids is ridiculously low...in most cases, police just need to show a reasonable suspicion. In one case that Oliver pointed out, a known drug user had told a cop that he bought cocaine at a certain residence. Not surprisingly, he was either lying or mistaken.

In one rather horrific case, the cops tossed in a flash-bang grenade, which landed in the crib of a sleeping toddler. (Once again, a case of the wrong address)

In another case, the person who lived at the address had a security camera. The cops asked him for the code so they could view their storming of his home and see how "cool" it looked. The camera clearly shows the cops all staring at the video, while the wrongly accused home owner sits handcuffed in a chair....:picard:

Oliver also pointed out the difference between "no knock" and "knock and announce" warrants. Most people would expect the use of "knock and announce" to cut down on tragedies like Breonna Taylor's, but as Oliver explained, the difference between the two is negligible.

One thing that was also striking is that in a country with so many "Stand your ground" laws, homeowners have next to no rights in these situations. Breonna Taylor's boyfriend thought it was a home invasion and fired at police. He was charged with attempted murder. (a charge that was later dropped, thanks to the amount of publicity the case garnered. Unfortunately, as Oliver showed, this is not the usual case)

In the end, Oliver calls for an end to police raids for drug offenses. An assessment I agree with whole heartedly.

However, what I expect is backlash. Both from Police unions, who undoubtedly feel they're being "unfairly attacked" (again) and the "Blue Lives Matter" crowd, who seem to automatically circle the wagons whenever law enforcement comes in for criticism....except of course, when the law enforcement officers are standing in the way of "Patriots" attempting an insurrection....

Thoughts?

Another well-done piece on policing by JO. The militarization of PDs both in equipment and training is pretty disgusting. I remember in his last one he showed some of the training which was much more relevant to being a soldier than a cop. 

The lack of accountability is ridiculous. The cop is basically immune from punishment and the jurisdiction has no liability. Imagine having your door battered down in the middle of the night and your house filled with heavily armed cops for bad info or a wrong address and hearing “my bad, see ya.” I’m actually quite surprised that with all guns out there that there aren’t more cops shot.

JO and his general rule of thumb “if you throw a horseshoe or hand grenade into a baby’s crib you shouldn’t be able to play with them anymore.” Also the difference between knock and no knock is really only 20 seconds so you can’t flush the drugs down the toilet. As he points out why are they raiding people who have a small enough quantity that they can flush down a toilet?

• Upvote 1

John Oliver reminds me of Bruce Cockburn

They both have a way with words

They both have a social conscience

They both pick some big powerful targets

I'm always mildly surprised no one has put a bullet in them, to shut them up.

• Hydration 2

1 hour ago, 4petesake said:

Another well-done piece on policing by JO. The militarization of PDs both in equipment and training is pretty disgusting. I remember in his last one he showed some of the training which was much more relevant to being a soldier than a cop. 

The lack of accountability is ridiculous. The cop is basically immune from punishment and the jurisdiction has no liability. Imagine having your door battered down in the middle of the night and your house filled with heavily armed cops for bad info or a wrong address and hearing “my bad, see ya.” I’m actually quite surprised that with all guns out there that there aren’t more cops shot.

JO and his general rule of thumb “if you throw a horseshoe or hand grenade into a baby’s crib you shouldn’t be able to play with them anymore.” Also the difference between knock and no knock is really only 20 seconds so you can’t flush the drugs down the toilet. As he points out why are they raiding people who have a small enough quantity that they can flush down a toilet?

That's only part of it. The homeowner has no recourse for recovering the costs of repairing the damage done by the police.

I'd estimate that the cost of repairing a damaged door jamb is between $100 and $200. If the door itself is significantly damaged, (which it often is) you can double that estimate.

It doesn't matter if the cops broke into the wrong house. The owner is left with the cost of repairing the damage.

7 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

That's only part of it. The homeowner has no recourse for recovering the costs of repairing the damage done by the police.

I'd estimate that the cost of repairing a damaged door jamb is between $100 and $200. If the door itself is significantly damaged, (which it often is) you can double that estimate.

It doesn't matter if the cops broke into the wrong house. The owner is left with the cost of repairing the damage.

At an ABSOLUTE bare minimum the city should be responsible for all the costs for a botched raid. I still would have had to clean up after having crapped my bed!

The video of the cop telling the previously naked handcuffed woman that there was no need to shout just pissed me off. You’re in the wrong f’ing house, blew my doors down, handcuffed me naked and you want me to be calm?

• Hydration 1

3 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

At an ABSOLUTE bare minimum the city should be responsible for all the costs for a botched raid. I still would have had to clean up after having crapped my bed!

The video of the cop telling the previously naked handcuffed woman that there was no need to shout just pissed me off. You’re in the wrong f’ing house, blew my doors down, handcuffed me naked and you want me to be calm?

Yeah, that one and the clowns who wanted to watch the "replay" just made me shake my head.

Funny thing is, I'd bet the mortgage that the clowns who walk around with the signs and the flags chanting about "freedom", would be the first to defend the cops in this situation. If anyone is having the freedom infringed upon, it's the people who's homes are broken into because cops can't even be bothered to make sure they have the right address. <_<

3 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Yeah, that one and the clowns who wanted to watch the "replay" just made me shake my head.

Funny thing is, I'd bet the mortgage that the clowns who walk around with the signs and the flags chanting about "freedom", would be the first to defend the cops in this situation. If anyone is having the freedom infringed upon, it's the people who's homes are broken into because cops can't even be bothered to make sure they have the right address. <_<

So much to unpack in that one. The replay thing had me shaking my head too or how about the raid where they’re going to a house using google map. “Turn right ahead” made me laugh thinking of all the times I’ve cursed and argued with that stupid voice. Then they get there and are surprised to find two houses. Which one to raid? Eh, let’s try this one. Good solid sleuthing right there!

3 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

"Election Integrity".....:picard:

Tell us again why we shouldn't call Trump supporters "stupid"....:rolleyes:

the answer is in the poll Rup, "dignity" was lowest on their concern list. 

5 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

So much to unpack in that one. The replay thing had me shaking my head too or how about the raid where they’re going to a house using google map. “Turn right ahead” made me laugh thinking of all the times I’ve cursed and argued with that stupid voice. Then they get there and are surprised to find two houses. Which one to raid? Eh, let’s try this one. Good solid sleuthing right there!

I'm trying to remember....didn't they just say "fck it" and hit both houses?

45 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

If you do the work yourself, don't need new materials and don't require the rental of a Brad nailer/compressor you can do it cheaply. I do this exact job 5 to 6 times a year and labour alone is $80 to $200. If a whole new frame is needed looking at closer to $600 to $700. Add in a door and you're over 1k  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Hamhuis Hip Check said:

Geez... why does your door get kicked in so often....

So many stalkers....

Nah. I do property maintenence and it seems to happen a lot more than it should due to peoples keys not working or lock batteries dying :)

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I'm trying to remember....didn't they just say "fck it" and hit both houses?

They must have because while some of the cops were musing over which house to do the entry team was bashing into the wrong one.      But who knows, maybe they just decided to cut their losses and go home.

7 hours ago, 4petesake said:

Actually sounds like a pretty fun Friday night 

12 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Not sure how many of us watched "Last Week Tonight with John Oliver" last night, but Oliver basically tore Cops a new one....

His "main story" was about Police Raids and how they are abused by law enforcement, resulting in needless injuries and deaths every year. The vast majority are drug raids and as Oliver pointed out, the bar for obtaining permission to carry out these raids is ridiculously low...in most cases, police just need to show a reasonable suspicion. In one case that Oliver pointed out, a known drug user had told a cop that he bought cocaine at a certain residence. Not surprisingly, he was either lying or mistaken.

In one rather horrific case, the cops tossed in a flash-bang grenade, which landed in the crib of a sleeping toddler. (Once again, a case of the wrong address)

In another case, the person who lived at the address had a security camera. The cops asked him for the code so they could view their storming of his home and see how "cool" it looked. The camera clearly shows the cops all staring at the video, while the wrongly accused home owner sits handcuffed in a chair....:picard:

Oliver also pointed out the difference between "no knock" and "knock and announce" warrants. Most people would expect the use of "knock and announce" to cut down on tragedies like Breonna Taylor's, but as Oliver explained, the difference between the two is negligible.

One thing that was also striking is that in a country with so many "Stand your ground" laws, homeowners have next to no rights in these situations. Breonna Taylor's boyfriend thought it was a home invasion and fired at police. He was charged with attempted murder. (a charge that was later dropped, thanks to the amount of publicity the case garnered. Unfortunately, as Oliver showed, this is not the usual case)

In the end, Oliver calls for an end to police raids for drug offenses. An assessment I agree with whole heartedly.

However, what I expect is backlash. Both from Police unions, who undoubtedly feel they're being "unfairly attacked" (again) and the "Blue Lives Matter" crowd, who seem to automatically circle the wagons whenever law enforcement comes in for criticism....except of course, when the law enforcement officers are standing in the way of "Patriots" attempting an insurrection....

Thoughts?

Thoughts ?

Try listening to the song Police Truck.

Things have only gotten worse in the 40 years since that song was released.

The police have become more militarized.

Peoples-especially afro Americans freedoms have been subjugated.

Those are my thoughts.

23 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Thoughts?

you get what you pay for 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Ilunga said:

In another case, the person who lived at the address had a security camera. The cops asked him for the code so they could view their storming of his home and see how "cool" it looked

This reminded me of some of our local finest.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7670704/vancouver-police-officers-reassigned-dead-body-photo/

• DonLever changed the title to USA Politics/Election Thread: Joe Biden, Donald Trump, Democrats, Republicans, et al.