The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

USA Politics/Election Thread: Joe Biden, Donald Trump, Democrats, Republicans, et al.

DonLever

On 3/1/2021 at 8:13 AM, RUPERTKBD said:

n another case, the person who lived at the address had a security camera. The cops asked him for the code so they could view their storming of his home and see how "cool" it looked. The camera clearly shows the cops all staring at the video, while the wrongly accused home owner sits handcuffed in a chair....:picard:

Reminds me of this SNL skit, reporters ask the police, ambulance attendants, doctors at the hospital;

"Have you seen the live footage of Buckwheat being shot?   Then show it to them, while Buckwheat bleeds out.

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, gurn said:

Reminds me of this SNL skit, reporters ask the police, ambulance attendants, doctors at the hospital;

"Have you seen the live footage of Buckwheat being shot?   Then show it to them, while Buckwheat bleeds out.

That was a terrible, terrible day. Everyone remembers where they were when they heard the news....:(

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

That was a terrible, terrible day. Everyone remembers where they were when they heard the news....:(

I was crushed, huge loss.

Then a few weeks later, finding out his death was faked; and he was put in witless protection while the police searched for his would be killer.

Alfalfa accidently finds Buckwheat, while selling something door to door.

After a brief conversation , it turns out Alfalfa was the would be assassin.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Putin is still laughing his ass off. His puppet is still paying big dividends in disruption. The Trumpism Cult will be a problem for the US for a long time. 

If Trump was still in control it would have gone something like..." I heard about this fake news poisoning, so I asked Vlad and he said it wasn't him. I have no reason to believe that he isn't telling the truth. Case closed"

However with Biden setting sanctions, could Russia claim that the US is trying to meddle with the way they do elections? :lol:

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

If Trump was still in control it would have gone something like..." I heard about this fake news poisoning, so I asked Vlad and he said it wasn't him. I have no reason to believe that he isn't telling the truth. Case closed"

However with Biden setting sanctions, could Russia claim that the US is trying to meddle with the way they do elections? :lol:

I'm sure they will :lol:

the clips from the CPAC conference were downright freaky. Conservatism is in the toilet in the US. 

• Vintage 1

This has been a really bad week for the right. First Mr. Potatohead loses his Mr, his moustache and his penis and now Dr. Suess. It was funny at first to watch them lose their sh#& but after hearing Don Jr lamenting that he knew Cat in the Hat by heart I’m starting to feel really bad about it. :(

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, 4petesake said:

This has been a really bad week for the right. First Mr. Potatohead loses his Mr, his moustache and his penis and now Dr. Suess. It was funny at first to watch them lose their sh#& but after hearing Don Jr lamenting that he knew Cat in the Hat by heart I’m starting to feel really bad about it. :(

You know who's really broken up about this?

Spoiler

Ted Cruz Doesn't Get Green Eggs and Ham - YouTube

• Haha 3

For once, I agree with Lindsey Graham (and I just threw up in my mouth a bit as I typed that)....

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/newspolitics/lindsey-graham-doesnt-want-andrew-cuomo-to-resign-says-he-must-be-allowed-to-offer-defense/ar-BB1eaZgm?li=AAggNb9

Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) has urged critics of embattled New York Governor Andrew Cuomo to refrain from "jumping to the conclusion" that the governor should resign due to multiple sexual harassment allegations.

Graham offered his defense of the Democratic governor while speaking to Fox News during a short interview from the Capitol on Tuesday. Over the past week, three different women have come forward with claims of sexual harassment against Cuomo, who had already been under heavy criticism over his handling of nursing homes amid the COVID-19 pandemic.

"Rather than jumping to the conclusion that he should resign, I think what should happen is there should be a process where the people who make the accusations can be heard and he can defend himself," said Graham. "I think that's the best thing for the people of New York, and the best thing for the country."

Graham offered more detailed advice on how to handle the Cuomo allegations during a Monday night appearance on Fox News' Hannity, suggesting that Democrats should handle it "seriously" with tactics similar to those used by Republicans during the controversial Senate confirmation hearings of Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh.

"Here's what I would tell my Democratic colleagues to do: follow the Republican model," Graham told host Sean Hannity. "We had a Republican nominee for the Supreme Court be accused of something the day before we voted. The moment before we voted, we could have gone ahead saying this was too late, you sat on this, you didn't tell us, this is not fair. We stopped the entire damn process. We had days and weeks of hearings. We had another FBI investigation."

"We took it seriously," he added. "What should you do as Democrats regarding Cuomo? Do exactly what Republicans did."

Party leaders in the Democratically-controlled New York state legislature announced Tuesday that they intend to pass legislation that would roll back Cuomo's expanded executive powers, which he had been granted last year due to the pandemic. An investigation into the sexual harassment allegations was announced one day earlier by New York Attorney General Letitia James, who was given the power to conduct the independent inquiry by Cuomo.

Bipartisan calls for Cuomo to resign have ramped up with the emergence of each new allegation against the governor. A New York Times report on Monday revealed the latest allegation, from a woman who said that Cuomo touched her without consent shortly after meeting him for the first time at a September 2019 wedding reception. Two former Cuomo aides had come forward with allegations of sexual harassment over the previous week.

Rep. Kathleen Rice (R-N.Y.) called for Cuomo's resignation shortly after the third allegation emerged, joining a chorus of Republicans and other Democrats who have condemned the governor in recent weeks. Cuomo has denied the harassment allegations, while insisting that criticism over his handling of nursing homes is politically motivated.

Although I think Graham is playing fast and loose with the facts, when he says they took the Kavanaugh allegations "seriously", I also think Cuomo's actions should be investigated fully.

The Democrats have been in this position before with Al Franken and instead of allowing him to tell his side of the story, they forced him to resign a decision that some of those involved say they now regret.

Even though you rarely get confirmation of the truth in a "he said, she said" case, I think it's important that both sides are allowed to present their respective cases, before an arbitrary decision is made.

FTR, I think the allegations against Cuomo are probably true, but if he stands by his denial, he should have the opportunity to defend himself.

Edited by RUPERTKBD
  • Vintage 3

Just in case anyone thought that being out of office and having been thrown under the bus by his former boss has "reformed" Mike Pence, I have some bad news....

....he's still the lying, ass kissing weasel that we saw for the past five years:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/newspolitics/pence-breaks-silence-to-criticize-2020-election/ar-BB1ecAA5?li=AAggFp5

Former Vice President Pence on Wednesday criticized the 2020 election in his his first extended written comments since leaving office in January.

Pence, who was presiding over a joint session of Congress when its certification of the Electoral College results was interrupted by a mob of former President Trump's supporters, said there were "significant voting irregularities" and "numerous instances of officials setting aside state election law" in the 2020 presidential election.

The former vice president, a target of some in the mob who called for his hanging, said those events had "deprived the American people of a substantive discussion in Congress about election integrity in America."

The remarks were offered by Pence in an op-ed published by the Daily Signal, a publication run by the conservative Heritage Foundation. The context was an attack on H.R. 1, a voting rights bill the House is expected to pass on Wednesday, that Pence said would "increase opportunities for election fraud."

Trump and his allies have repeatedly argued that massive fraud contributed to his loss to President Biden. State officials in battleground states have rejected those assertions, as have courts, including a Supreme Court with a 6-3 conservative majority that includes three Trump nominees.

The Justice Department under Trump also did not find evidence of widespread fraud in the 2020 election that would have altered the results in any states.

False claims about widespread fraud fueled the mob that attacked the Capitol on Jan. 6, endangering the lives of Pence and lawmakers in both parties and leaving five people dead.

The former vice president argues in the op-ed that measures included in the voting rights bill, formally known as the For the People Act, would "trample the First Amendment, further erode confidence in our elections, and forever dilute the votes of legally qualified eligible voters."

"While legislators in many states have begun work on election reform to restore public confidence in state elections, unfortunately, congressional Democrats have chosen to sweep those valid concerns and reforms aside and to push forward a brazen attempt to nationalize elections in blatant disregard of the U.S. Constitution," Pence writes.

The legislation introduced by Democrats would expand opportunities to vote by mail, require that states establish electronic voter legislation and give the Justice Department more authority to enforce voting rights law. The Democratic-controlled House is poised to vote on the legislation on Wednesday; it previously passed the lower chamber in 2019 but was never taken up by the Republican-controlled Senate. Democrats now have a slim one-seat majority in the upper chamber.

Biden's White House has thrown its support behind the bill, citing the futile effort by Trump to overturn the results, which included a pressure campaign on Pence to use an authority he did not have to toss out the Electoral College votes.

"In the wake of an unprecedented assault on our democracy, a never before seen effort to ignore, undermine, and undo the will of the people, and a newly aggressive attack on voting rights taking place right now all across the country, this landmark legislation is urgently needed to protect the right to vote and the integrity of our elections, and to repair and strengthen American democracy," the White House said in a statement of administrative policy on Monday.

Wednesday's op-ed represents Pence's most extensive public comments since leaving the White House on Jan. 20. Other than sending out tweets, Pence has remained publicly silent since attending Biden's inauguration.

During the Trump administration, Pence headed a controversial voting integrity commission that ultimately disbanded as states accused it of overreach. A former Democratic member of the commission in 2018 said that it never found evidence of widespread voter fraud and accused the commission of having a "pre-ordained outcome" to support Trump's claims of voter fraud.

First bolded: Perpetuating the "Big Lie" that there was widespread fraud in the election. "Election Integrity" is Republican speak for "we don't want to admit that we lost". It's basically blaming the refs for a loss, because of a couple of penalty calls, when you lost by six goals...

Second bolded" "Dilute the votes of legally qualified eligible voters". Here Pence is trying to say that "illegal votes" diluted legal votes, which of course were Republican votes. Once again....a lie.

Third bolded: What Pence is referring to here is efforts by several state legislators to restrict voting in their respective states. As usual, these measures target minorities and are designed to suppress voting, which the GQP sees as an advantage for them.

FU Mike. You're almost a big a POS as your scumbag former boss and the world is a better place with both of you out of public office....<_<

Edited by RUPERTKBD
  • Thanks 1
  • Hydration 1

38 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Just in case anyone thought that being out of office and having been thrown under the bus by his former boss has "reformed" Mike Pence, I have some bad news....

....he's still the lying, ass kissing weasel that we saw for the past five years:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/newspolitics/pence-breaks-silence-to-criticize-2020-election/ar-BB1ecAA5?li=AAggFp5

Fortunately Mike and the Republicans are all about restoring integrity to to voting system.  :sick:

Blaring Quiet Part Out Loud, GOP Lawyer Admits to Supreme Court That Easier Voting Puts Republicans at 'Competitive Disadvantage'

"The mask is off. Republicans want to steal your right to vote and pulverize democracy because they don't think they can win elections on ideas or humanity."

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
A demonstrator seen holding a sign during protest in Manhattan on November 19, 2020.

A demonstrator seen holding a sign during protest in Manhattan on November 19, 2020. (Photo: Erik McGregor/LightRocket via Getty Images)

An attorney representing the Arizona Republican Party on Tuesday helpfully admitted outright what has long been obvious to observers of the GOP's decades-long assault on the franchise: Easier voting makes it harder for Republicans to win elections.

Asked by right-wing Supreme Court Justice Amy Coney Barrett to explain the Arizona GOP's interest in upholding a state law that disqualifies ballots cast in the wrong precinct—a restriction that voting rights advocates say discriminates against people of color, an assessment backed up last year by the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals—Republican lawyer Michael Carvin responded that striking down the regulation would put "us at a competitive disadvantage relative to Democrats."

"Politics is a zero-sum game," Carvin added.

• Hydration 2

11 hours ago, 4petesake said:

So I took these in my library yesterday.  Some drawings from one of the books that won't be published anymore, If I Ran the Zoo.......which is a great book, but is clearly past it's best before date.  It's not about cancel culture, it's just recognizing that some things are best left in the past.  I'm sure Dr Seuss, himself, would agree

PXL_20210302_200648076.jpg

PXL_20210302_200726961.jpg

PXL_20210302_200730426.jpg

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

So I took these in my library yesterday.  Some drawings from one of the books that won't be published anymore, If I Ran the Zoo.......which is a great book, but is clearly past it's best before date.  It's not about cancel culture, it's just recognizing that some things are best left in the past.  I'm sure Dr Seuss, himself, would agree

PXL_20210302_200648076.jpg

PXL_20210302_200726961.jpg

PXL_20210302_200730426.jpg

Right on the money. It has nothing to do with cancel culture and no one group was pushing for this. The owners of the Dr Suess books recognized the issue and took it upon themselves to make the move.  Kudos to them. Things we did or said in the past might not have been racist in intent but were in fact. 

35 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Right on the money. It has nothing to do with cancel culture and no one group was pushing for this. The owners of the Dr Suess books recognized the issue and took it upon themselves to make the move.  Kudos to them. Things we did or said in the past might not have been racist in intent but were in fact. 

all the freaking over 'cancel culture' - can anyone here name 3 specific things they miss that are now gone as the result of 'cancel culture'? 

I can tell you some very specific problems created by Trump, but I have to stretch to think of 2 or 3 things that I miss that got cancelled. Does anyone really miss Kevin Spacey? 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

all the freaking over 'cancel culture' - can anyone here name 3 specific things they miss that are now gone as the result of 'cancel culture'? 

I can tell you some very specific problems created by Trump, but I have to stretch to think of 2 or 3 things that I miss that got cancelled. Does anyone really miss Kevin Spacey? 

Playing devil's advocate mostly here, but perhaps it's not so much what's "missed" as opportunities we don't see happen because of it. For example, I believe I read somewhere that in Sweden (or somewhere in Europe anyway), there was supposed to be a "men's health festival" that was supposed to happen. However, through backlash from "feminists", it got cancelled. I don't know all the details of this, but hearing things like this can also be just as alarming as the other things that "cancel culture" is targeting.

So I think, while there's generally good reason for "cancel culture" to happen, it can also go a little too far. Perhaps also, if events such as these were shown in the limelight more, there would be more "cancel culture" of the "cancel culture" in situations where "cancel culture" just isn't appropriate. (if that made any sense whatsoever ;))

Edited by The Lock

10 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I have to confess that I kind of miss Don Cherry. If it weren't for Juice and his slagging of Elliotte on a regular basis, I'd probably miss Grapes even more.

That being said, your point is well taken. "Cancel Culture" makes little to no difference in people's everyday lives. As far as Dr. Seuss goes, according to his son, he was a bit embarrassed himself by the images posted by @stawns as well as images in other books. I think when you look at titles like The Lorax and the Sneetches, it's fair to say that he evolved...

Another good example is Mr Potato Head.....Republicans and their ilk are (predictably) getting this wrong, stating that Hasbro is changing the name of Mr Potato Head himself, in effect making the character gender neutral.....but this is not what they've done. Mr. Potato head is still Mr. Potato Head and Mrs. Potato Head is still Mrs. Potato Head....it's the name of the brand that's been changed. Previously, all items falling into what is now the "Potato Head" brand (including Mrs. potato head) were referred to as part of the "Mr. Potato Head" brand.

Now they've removed the "Mr." from the name of the brand. That's it.

Of course, that doesn't stop dipsh!ts like Ted Cruz from trying to make a political meal out of it....:picard:

• Hydration 3

• DonLever changed the title to USA Politics/Election Thread: Joe Biden, Donald Trump, Democrats, Republicans, et al.