The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

USA Politics/Election Thread: Joe Biden, Donald Trump, Democrats, Republicans, et al.

DonLever

3 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Like you,  I’m not sure how much of this is factual but if it is I think I would have a big problem with a couple of things they talk about. Her “come on over” stuff was over the top but I found myself agreeing with them on the other parts.

Agreed. The problem I had was that if she was okay stretching the truth on the "come on over" bit, then how much of the rest of the narrative can we believe.

Bear in mind that she used to work at Faux, so she's an experienced liar....

• Vintage 2

3 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

all the freaking over 'cancel culture' - can anyone here name 3 specific things they miss that are now gone as the result of 'cancel culture'? 

I can tell you some very specific problems created by Trump, but I have to stretch to think of 2 or 3 things that I miss that got cancelled. Does anyone really miss Kevin Spacey? 

When i watched the final season of House of Cards I did. Hadn't given it a thought otherwise. 

EDIT: I'll miss Gina Carano in Mandalorian

Edited by Gnarcore

36 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

As little kids (‘60s) we’d go down to the corner store, “the chinaman’s” and buy penny candy. One of the candies was a little black licorice called “n’babies.

I remember those candies. And even into the ‘70s (my childhood decade), people used the N-word for them. Wasn’t until I got older that I even understood what that word meant, and was pretty shocked and saddened to hear people casually using it to describe black liquorice (and I still hear it sometimes from some older folks :().

Still, nothing compared to the racist brand/product names and advertising images that were used across the pond, even quite recently. In Denmark (where my family is from), they used to market sweets like this:

55FF2522-553C-4447-ADC1-F79096074AD0.thumb.jpeg.1915861cd086cb1042c9911ff50c5e09.jpeg

And, if the brand name “Sambo” wasn’t already bad enough (and with the word splashed across a picture of a young black child), those treats were actually sold as “negerbolle” (negro balls) right up until the late ‘80s or so. :sadno:

Similar thing with “Skipper Mix” liquorice, which only changed their racist caricature shapes just a couple years ago. 

I would agree that, in most cases, these usages are just examples of “ignorance and different times.” Where is really becomes racist IMO, is when people are made aware of the issues, and persist in using these words and images. Whether it’s a company refusing to change their product, or dragging their feet in doing so, or consumers who continue to use the old racist name for something, even long after it’s been changed.

• Upvote 1
  • RoughGame 1

2 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I remember those candies. And even into the ‘70s (my childhood decade), people used the N-word for them. Wasn’t until I got older that I even understood what that word meant, and was pretty shocked and saddened to hear people casually using it to describe black liquorice (and I still hear it sometimes from some older folks :().

Still, nothing compared to the racist brand/product names and advertising images that were used across the pond, even quite recently. In Denmark (where my family is from), they used to market sweets like this:

55FF2522-553C-4447-ADC1-F79096074AD0.thumb.jpeg.1915861cd086cb1042c9911ff50c5e09.jpeg

And, if the brand name “Sambo” wasn’t already bad enough (and with the word splashed across a picture of a young black child), those treats were actually sold as “negerbolle” (negro balls) right up until the late ‘80s or so. :sadno:

Similar thing with “Skipper Mix” liquorice, which only changed their racist caricature shapes just a couple years ago. 

I would agree that, in most cases, these usages are just examples of “ignorance and different times.” Where is really becomes racist IMO, is when people are made aware of the issues, and persist in using these words and images. Whether it’s a company refusing to change their product, or dragging their feet in doing so, or consumers who continue to use the old racist name for something, even long after it’s been changed.

up until about two years ago there was a pawn shop in Kelowna called "Darky's Pawn"

I sh!t you not

33 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Like you,  I’m not sure how much of this is factual but if it is I think I would have a big problem with a couple of things they talk about. Her “come on over” stuff was over the top but I found myself agreeing with them on the other parts.

what an absolute crock of sh!t coming out of her mouth.  I am the sogi/lgbtq rep for my school and I could never imagine trying to convince someone to become transgender, nor have I ever met anyone who does.  What we do do is provide support for lgbtq students, promote tolerance and acceptance of lgbtq students from non lgbtq students and teach about the basic human rights afforded to lgbtq communities under the human rights act.

It goes back to the "if makes absolutely zero difference in your life" argument.  Why does she care if someone decides to experiment with gender identity etc?  They're still human beings, just like everyone else.  It really fries my bacon

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

up until about two years ago there was a pawn shop in Kelowna called "Darky's Pawn"

I sh!t you not

Yeah I saw the sign was finally taken down last fall. Used to shake my head every time I passed through. Don’t know how or why the city and residents thought it was ok.

• Vintage 1

11 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Maybe the general public should have to take a sanity test first before voting....

:lol:

Which reminds me...

Tomorrow is the day that Trump triumphantly returns to the White House and all of the evil Dems get rounded up by the authorities....

I'm really looking forward to Nancy's execution....I can't decide if I'd prefer burning at the stake, or the classic Guillotine.....:unsure:

Just now, RUPERTKBD said:

Which reminds me...

Tomorrow is the day that Trump triumphantly returns to the White House and all of the evil Dems get rounded up by the authorities....

I'm really looking forward to Nancy's execution....I can't decide if I'd prefer burning at the stake, or the classic Guillotine.....:unsure:

Can't wait to see how the Q crowd spins this one when absolutely nothing happens. 

• Thanks 1
  • Hydration 2

3 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Which reminds me...

I'm pretty sure these people think "The Handmaid's Tale" is a documentary

• Haha 3

Just now, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

Can't wait to see how the Q crowd spins this one when absolutely nothing happens. 

My guess is that they'll move the goalposts....again....

4th of July, maybe?

• Vintage 2

49 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Maybe the general public should have to take a sanity test first before voting....

Mental illness can be a terrible thing.

48 minutes ago, stawns said:

I sh!t you not

Owned and run by Joe Darky?

• Hydration 2

1 hour ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I remember taking IQ tests of sorts to see what I would be good at career wise. The tests said I was smarter than 90% of the population (and didn't narrow down my options at all funnily enough). I thought it was joking, and I still do really, but I'm starting to wonder given how low the bar feels these days.

Edited by The Lock
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, 4petesake said:

As little kids (‘60s) we’d go down to the corner store, “the chinaman’s” and buy penny candy. One of the candies was a little black licorice called “n’babies. We weren’t racists, we were just ignorant living in very different times. The point is, like Dr Suess, you recognize your ignorance and make changes. The more things like this that you have in your past and the more recent that they are, the more you are afraid of cancel culture. People don’t want to be outed for their ignorance/indiscretions so it gets very scary to see it happening around you. 

Some folks in B.C used to call Brazil nuts, n..... toes, best part was trying to explain it to me how it wasn’t racist.

I am sorry, I grew up in a place that had zero black people and even back when I was a kid in the 80s I knew that word was offensive.

• Vintage 2

31 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

Some folks in B.C used to call Brazil nuts, n..... toes, best part was trying to explain it to me how it wasn’t racist.

I am sorry, I grew up in a place that had zero black people and even back when I was a kid in the 80s I knew that word was offensive.

Yep. I've heard that one too....they were always "Brazils" in our house, but my parents were always pretty "woke" for people who were born is the 20's and 30's....

• Hydration 2

4 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Yep. I've heard that one too....they were always "Brazils" in our house, but my parents were always pretty "woke" for people who were born is the 20's and 30's....

I am surprised that they still use term scalping tickets on TV as well as paddy wagon.
Same goes with getting gyped.

For a long time I thought it was pronounced getting chipped, once I learned that it has to do with Gypsies I stopped using it.
It’s when people say trying to Jew me down and act shocked that it’s offensive.

• Hydration 1

• DonLever changed the title to USA Politics/Election Thread: Joe Biden, Donald Trump, Democrats, Republicans, et al.