The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

USA Politics/Election Thread: Joe Biden, Donald Trump, Democrats, Republicans, et al.

DonLever

8 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

No, but kids still in cages and no minimum wage increase coming. 

One hopes that the issue of kids in cages comes to an end.  I won't hold my breath.

https://www.texastribune.org/2021/03/04/texas-detention-centers/

Texas family detention centers expected to transform into rapid-processing hubs

The Ellis-Island-style hubs that will screen migrant parents and children with a goal of releasing them into the United States within 72 hours.

• Hydration 1

1 minute ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

One hopes that the issue of kids in cages comes to an end.  I won't hold my breath.

https://www.texastribune.org/2021/03/04/texas-detention-centers/

Texas family detention centers expected to transform into rapid-processing hubs

The Ellis-Island-style hubs that will screen migrant parents and children with a goal of releasing them into the United States within 72 hours.

It won't. It started under Obama, at least, and has continued to this day. Trump zinged Biden good on that point in the debate and Sleepy Joe had no answer for it. 

• Hydration 1

59 minutes ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

There is much debate over this. Apparently scalping, a practice that originated in Europe hundreds of years earlier, was introduced, and much more frequently used by settlers as there were bounties for bringing in the scalps of Indigenous men, women, and children all over North America. The fact that this practice is predominantly attributed to Indigenous people is just another example of the "white washing" of history. 

Dean Chavers is director of catching the dream and probably biggest expert on NA scalping.

He was working on a book that detailed more than 2000 scalping in the U.S.

He has some material going back to Ancient Greece and Europe in regards to scalping.

As far as the U.S goes, more scalping was done by Native Americans vs. whites.

5 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

In the empty skulls of his cultists he is.

its really something how the republican party has realized it has a large group of idiots they can use. Its awesome, you don't have to do a thing for them to improve their lives, just feed 'em BS. GOP won the lotto. 

• Hydration 1

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

its really something how the republican party has realized it has a large group of idiots they can use. Its awesome, you don't have to do a thing for them to improve their lives, just feed 'em BS. GOP won the lotto. 

Stupid people all around the world are priceless commodity.

They are used by politicians, regimes, military, celebrities, cults, criminals, sports teams, merchants, media, countries etc.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

Stupid people all around the world are priceless commodity.

They are used by politicians, regimes, military, celebrities, cults, criminals, sports teams, merchants, media, countries etc.

wait... you mean....

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

Scalping comes from the Native Indian act of removing a scalp as a war trophy. Nowadays it has come to mean being a middle man or taking a little off the top as in ticket scalping or stock trading.

Ah ok thanks. I was familiar with the war trophy concept but didn't make the jump between selling tickets.

Only Republican to vote for police reform bill 'accidentally pressed the wrong ... button'

Rep. Lance Gooden (Texas), the only House Republican to vote for the George Floyd Justice in Policing Act, reportedly said in a now-deleted post on Twitter that he had pressed the wrong button by accident.

“I accidentally pressed the wrong voting button and realized it too late,” Gooden wrote in the tweet, according to The Washington Post. “I have changed the official record to reflect my opposition to the partisan George Floyd Policing Act.”

The measure would outlaw chokeholds, seek to end religious and racial profiling and bar certain no-knock warrants among other police policy changes.

A Republican gets a vote right but only by accident.

• Hydration 1
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Only Republican to vote for police reform bill 'accidentally pressed the wrong ... button'

Rep. Lance Gooden (Texas), the only House Republican to vote for the George Floyd Justice in Policing Act, reportedly said in a now-deleted post on Twitter that he had pressed the wrong button by accident.

“I accidentally pressed the wrong voting button and realized it too late,” Gooden wrote in the tweet, according to The Washington Post. “I have changed the official record to reflect my opposition to the partisan George Floyd Policing Act.”

The measure would outlaw chokeholds, seek to end religious and racial profiling and bar certain no-knock warrants among other police policy changes.

A Republican gets a vote right but only by accident.

I'm a bit surprised that he didn't claim the machine "switched his vote" and then claim that the motion was actually defeated...:unsure:

• Hydration 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

w5a2kd0mj1l61.png

Wish he would make up his mind.

Says the government can't take a bunch of things, then says come and take it?:picard::picard:

And looks hypocritical with the stop cancel culture tweet, right after the boycott Target tweet.

@CBH1926 @skolozsy2 : Hey boys, if you've been holding off on buying that bottle (or bottles) of Scotch, now's the time:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/04/intl_business/us-uk-trade-truce/index.html

The United States has agreed to suspend tariffs on UK products including Scotch whisky and cashmere as both sides work to resolve a long-running dispute over Boeing and Airbus subsidies.

The tariffs will be suspended for four months, the United Kingdom and the United States said in a joint statement, as the two sides try to work out an agreement on the underlying dispute over commercial jets. The United Kingdom unilaterally suspended its own tariffs related to the spat on January 1.
"This will benefit a wide range of industries on both sides of the Atlantic, and allow for focused settlement negotiations to ensure that our aerospace industries can finally see a resolution and focus on Covid recovery and other shared goals," the two countries said in the joint statement on Thursday.
The decision to suspend the tariffs was cheered by Diageo, the UK spirits company whose products include Johnnie Walker Scotch.
The truce could help ease trade tensions between the two countries. But there are few signs that the Biden administration will move to quickly negotiate a broader free trade deal with the United Kingdom, which has been a major priority for Prime Minister Boris Johnson following Brexit.

In January, US Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen said the new US administration would prioritize domestic investments over any new trade deals.

• Thanks 1
  • Hydration 2

43 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Far right wing snowflake crying:

Facts don't care about your feelings lol.

Well to be fair, his fellow insurrectionists have gotten vegan food, gluten free food, the ability to go to mexico, and genuine sympathy cards with gofundme's backing them

He's pretty downtrodden and needs our thoughts and prayers

• Hydration 1
  • Haha 1

• DonLever changed the title to USA Politics/Election Thread: Joe Biden, Donald Trump, Democrats, Republicans, et al.