The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

USA Politics/Election Thread: Joe Biden, Donald Trump, Democrats, Republicans, et al.

1 minute ago, Roger Rabby said:

Haha right. The idea behind unions is a good one and that's about all I will say. 

Can you name me one good thing that doesn't have a bad side too?  The benefit of unions far outweigh the negatives.

Sadly, the people most exploited by corporations are the ones who fight the hardest against unions

2 minutes ago, Roger Rabby said:

Haha right. The idea behind unions is a good one and that's about all I will say. 

Years ago I was anti-union for some of the reasons you list. Not anymore.

4343A2CC-5B1D-4201-B60B-CE72CDF05972.png

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Can you name me one good thing that doesn't have a bad side too?  The benefit of unions far outweigh the negatives.

Sadly, the people most exploited by corporations are the ones who fight the hardest against unions

That is very debatable. 

1 minute ago, 4petesake said:

Years ago I was anti-union for some of the reasons you list. Not anymore.

4343A2CC-5B1D-4201-B60B-CE72CDF05972.png

I wouldn't say I'm anti union and I'm not pro union.

Your pic really has nothing to do with unions. 

That is very debatable. 

Depends if you're an exploiter of labour or the exploited I guess

• Vintage 1

I wouldn't say I'm anti union and I'm not pro union.

Your pic really has nothing to do with unions. 

Amazon fighting tooth and nail against unionization. You don’t see a connection?

1 minute ago, 4petesake said:

Amazon fighting tooth and nail against unionization. You don’t see a connection?

Oh ok.

That being said all companies fight against it you lose control of your own company. 

How come those that a pro union would never unionize their workplaces?

Unions are needed for tax payer funded professions, nurses, teachers, and others obviously because governments could screw them otherwise. 

But corporations wouldn't?

• Hydration 1
4 minutes ago, Roger Rabby said:

Oh ok.

That being said all companies fight against it you lose control of your own company. 

Pardon, you lost me with these statements.

9 minutes ago, Roger Rabby said:

Interesting. So would you say labour laws in BC are not adequate?

I think we do a decent job with keeping workplaces safe, but not enough to ensure that workers make a living wage and we certainly don't tax large corporations nearly enough........or even enforce the current tax rate

5 minutes ago, Roger Rabby said:

Oh ok.

If enough companies really cared and valued their employees and shared their success with the people who were instrumental in it, unions wouldn’t need to exist. Most people who work hard and care about their jobs, are rewarded accordingly, and are treated with respect probably have little interest in unionization.

Sure there are lots of problems with unions but I get tired of seeing hard working honest people falling behind.

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

But corporations wouldn't?

Well they adhere to labour laws. Taxpayer-funded positions could have wages cut drastically without unions in place.

5 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

Pardon, you lost me with these statements.

I can't really respond to this as I'm not really sure what you were saying haha

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

I think we do a decent job with keeping workplaces safe, but not enough to ensure that workers make a living wage and we certainly don't tax large corporations nearly enough........or even enforce the current tax rate

Okay then we can agree that maybe there needs to be more work done as far as labour laws go. As for the livable wage part most unionized jobs do not pay as well as the private sector does. As for taxation on corporations you may be right but I think after coronavirus it would be a difficult time to raise them.

1 minute ago, Hamhuis Hip Check said:

Its not always about having the laws, but about having someone on your side to help you fight.

I'm pretty sure the Labor Board is supposed to be a body that is on the workers side

2 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

If enough companies really cared and valued their employees and shared their success with the people who were instrumental in it, unions wouldn’t need to exist. Most people who work hard and care about their jobs, are rewarded accordingly, and are treated with respect probably have little interest in unionization.

Sure there are lots of problems with unions but I get tired of seeing hard working honest people falling behind.

Obviously I agree with you on the last part. I will say not all companies are filthy rich and taking advantage of their employees. That being said maybe we should look at implementing laws or something along those lines that punishes businesses that do this.

48 minutes ago, Roger Rabby said:

Well they adhere to labour laws. Taxpayer-funded positions could have wages cut drastically without unions in place.

I can't really respond to this as I'm not really sure what you were saying haha

Okay then we can agree that maybe there needs to be more work done as far as labour laws go. As for the livable wage part most unionized jobs do not pay as well as the private sector does. As for taxation on corporations you may be right but I think after coronavirus it would be a difficult time to raise them.

I'm pretty sure the Labor Board is supposed to be a body that is on the workers side

Supposed to be, but its extremely easy for a big company to push the limits if they dont have someone to fight against them. A union free environment is a privilege companies need to earn by treating their employees better, and in my experience most companies do not deserve that privilege 

• Hydration 2
  • DonLever changed the title to USA Politics/Election Thread: Joe Biden, Donald Trump, Democrats, Republicans, et al.