The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

USA Politics/Election Thread: Joe Biden, Donald Trump, Democrats, Republicans, et al.

DonLever

13 hours ago, Canorth said:

Mother of fallen Capitol Police officer meets with GOP senators ahead of commission vote

image.thumb.jpeg.9394523cd1684209d5c561225f3ab04f.jpeg

The mother of fallen US Capitol Police Officer Brian Sicknick, who had asked to meet with GOP senators, met with several of them on Thursday ahead of an expected vote on the January 6 commission that so far is short of the 10 Republican votes needed to pass. 

Gladys Sicknick told reporters Thursday that she is hopeful her meetings will change their minds on whether to vote for a January 6 commission.

More here including video link to Mom’s words:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2021/05/26/politics/brian-sicknick-mother-republican-senator-meeting/index.html

This is the elderly Mother of a Federal Officer who was sworn to protect the very people he died protecting. She is not pleading for justice or criminal action; rather, she wants to know how and why her son died that day. Just to investigate a traitorous act that everyone on the planet saw happen in real time.

Anyone want to make a bet that none of these GOP scumf*ckers will take the “bait”? 

You know... many of us who have been in this thread, since the beginning, predicted that a Trump Presidency would lead to long lasting destruction for the US and the world as a whole. However, I never expected that the GOP would deteriorate to such an embarrassing level. I’m in awe at how I could possibly underestimate how destructive a sociopathic, egomaniac and well established Conman could actually be.

Nevertheless, here we are. An elderly Mother pleading to senators to at least listen to a hearing which would advise a vote to commission an investigation into something the entire world already knows what happened.

If they deny her, which they will, they all deserve a slow and painful death by bowel obstruction

I applaud Mrs. Sicknick for her efforts.....but they're going to be in vain....

Republicans don't care who died, or whose life has been ruined by the events of Jan 6th.....They care only about political power and the 1/6 Commission threatens that power. They'll come up with any and every excuse they can to kill it....

• Thanks 1
  • Hydration 1

8 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

What a conglomeration of stupid people. As soon as you fail the US life system just sign up to kill other people and steal their money. Can's figure out why they have a problem. 4281 pages of stupidity. Hilarious.

Sorry, I'm honestly having trouble deciphering this post....

....did you stop by just to tell us all how stupid we are?

9 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

What a conglomeration of stupid people. As soon as you fail the US life system just sign up to kill other people and steal their money. Can's figure out why they have a problem. 4281 pages of stupidity. Hilarious.

01111001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01101101 01100001 01101011 01100101 00100000 01101110 01101111 00100000 01110011 01100101 01101110 01110011 01100101 

Central Park Karen in the news again:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/amy-cooper-sues-employer-who-fired-her-claiming-racial-discrimination/ar-AAKrIaS?ocid=msedgdhp

"

Amy Cooper, the white woman who falsely told police that a Black birdwatcher was threatening her life, is now suing the employer that fired her over the incident, claiming she was a victim of racial discrimination.

Cooper faced sweeping backlash last year over a video of her confrontation with Christian Cooper, who is not related to her. The video, which was shot by Christian Cooper, shows him calmly asking Amy to leash her dog in the park. Amy responds by threatening to tell the police that "there is an African-American man threatening my life." She then follows through and makes the frantic report.

"There’s a man, African American, he has an iPod, he is recording me and threatening me and my dog!" she claims in the video.

The video went viral and Cooper was widely denounced as racist at the time, with many dubbing her the Central Park "Karen" — a slang term for privileged white women who raise trivial issues with the authorities.

Her employer, Franklin Templeton, fired her from her job as a portfolio manager that same day. "We do not tolerate racism of any kind at Franklin Templeton," the company said at the time.

Cooper filed a criminal complaint against Franklin Templeton in Manhattan federal court on Tuesday, claiming that her employer fired her without investigating the incident. She also claimed that Franklin Templeton falsely portrayed her as racist, and that Christian Cooper was an "overzealous birdwatcher" who had selected her as a "target."

"She did these things because she was alone in the park and frightened to death," the lawsuit claims.

She is seeking unspecified damages for race and gender discrimination, defamation, intentional infliction of emotional distress and negligence.

Franklin Templeton stood by its decision to fire Cooper in a statement to the New York Times.

“We believe the circumstances of the situation speak for themselves and that the company responded appropriately,” a spokesperson for the investment firm said. “We will defend against these baseless claims.”

The viral encounter happened on May 25, 2020, the same day that police officer Derek Chauvin killed George Floyd by kneeling on his neck for nine minutes in Minneapolis, Minn.

Amy Cooper lost her job and surrendered her dog amid the backlash over her behaviour in the park. She later apologized in a statement.

“I reacted emotionally and made false assumptions about his intentions when, in fact, I was the one who was acting inappropriately by not having my dog on a leash,” she said in her apology.

Amy Cooper initially faced charges for making a false police report, but Christian Cooper accepted her apology and opted not to participate in the investigation. Manhattan prosecutors ultimately dropped their case against her after she completed a series of counselling sessions about racial justice.

Read more: Florida high school altered girls’ yearbook photos to hide their chests

“I think it’s a first step," Christian Cooper said after she issued her original apology. "I think she’s gotta do some reflection on what happened because up until the moment when she made that statement … it was just a conflict between a birder and a dog walker, and then she took it to a very dark place. I think she’s gotta sort of examine why and how that happened.”

Christian Cooper, who is a biomedical editor and former Marvel Comics writer, also encouraged people not to judge Amy based on a few seconds of racism and "very poor judgement."

"Only she can tell us if that defines her entire life by what she does going forward," he said.

Christian Cooper declined to comment on Amy's lawsuit, which was filed one year to the day after their encounter went viral.

The case will be tossed out, it is a false claim to begin with, as her lawsuit says:

""She did these things because she was alone in the park and frightened to death," the lawsuit claims."

However if she was in the park alone she would not have seen Mr. Cooper.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

As expected, Senate Republicans have voted to block the 1/6 Commission bill, despite the fact that Democrats made significant concessions in negotiations with House Republicans and had an agreement in place....

This basically shows that Republicans won't even take "Yes" for an answer.

I think the Dems should go ahead and unilaterally create the Commission. They can appoint John Katko (the House republican who negotiated the original agreement) as co-chair and get to the bottom of the Insurrection. (or "tourist visit" in "MAGA Speak")

Subpoena Kevin McCarthy and force him to recount his telephone call with Trump under oath. While they're at it, they can subpoena Mike Pence as well.

Of course, both of these guys might go to court in an attempt to resist having to provide testimony, but this would delay the process, bringing them closer to the 2022 mid-terms....the reason they're trying to dodge this investigation in the first place.

It has become increasingly obvious that Republicans want to sweep these events under the rug and block any legislation put forth by the Biden administration, in the hopes that they can ride it out until 2022. (when they hope to retake control of at least on branch of government) It's time for Democrats to do whatever it takes to make sure they're unsuccessful.

Hopefully, the eternal optimist Joe Manchin, gets the message.....

Edited by RUPERTKBD
  • Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

18 hours ago, Canorth said:

Mother of fallen Capitol Police officer meets with GOP senators ahead of commission vote

image.thumb.jpeg.9394523cd1684209d5c561225f3ab04f.jpeg

The mother of fallen US Capitol Police Officer Brian Sicknick, who had asked to meet with GOP senators, met with several of them on Thursday ahead of an expected vote on the January 6 commission that so far is short of the 10 Republican votes needed to pass. 

Gladys Sicknick told reporters Thursday that she is hopeful her meetings will change their minds on whether to vote for a January 6 commission.

More here including video link to Mom’s words:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2021/05/26/politics/brian-sicknick-mother-republican-senator-meeting/index.html

This is the elderly Mother of a Federal Officer who was sworn to protect the very people he died protecting. She is not pleading for justice or criminal action; rather, she wants to know how and why her son died that day. Just to investigate a traitorous act that everyone on the planet saw happen in real time.

Anyone want to make a bet that none of these GOP scumf*ckers will take the “bait”? 

You know... many of us who have been in this thread, since the beginning, predicted that a Trump Presidency would lead to long lasting destruction for the US and the world as a whole. However, I never expected that the GOP would deteriorate to such an embarrassing level. I’m in awe at how I could possibly underestimate how destructive a sociopathic, egomaniac and well established Conman could actually be.

Nevertheless, here we are. An elderly Mother pleading to senators to at least listen to a hearing which would advise a vote to commission an investigation into something the entire world already knows what happened.

If they deny her, which they will, they all deserve a slow and painful death by bowel obstruction

That's a pretty broad statement, if I was to go by that logic, I got my current job during the Trump administration even though I live thousands of miles away on a different continent, should I be thanking him for that? From what I can tell he didn't affect Europe all that much except give the media constant conniption fits with their TDS. 

I'd hardly give the bozo credit for anything else on this continent than being a journalist w**res wet dream. 

7 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

As expected, Senate Republicans have voted to block the 1/6 Commission bill, despite the fact that Democrats made significant concessions in negotiations with House Republicans and had an agreement in place....

I think the Dems should go ahead and unilaterally create the Commission. They can appoint John Katko (the House republican who negotiated the original agreement) as co-chair and get to the bottom of the Insurrection. (or "tourist visit" in "MAGA Speak")

Subpoena Kevin McCarthy and force him to recount his telephone call with Trump under oath. While they're at it, they can subpoena Mike Pence as well.

Of course, both of these guys might go to court in an attempt to resist having to provide testimony, but this would delay the process, bringing them closer to the 2022 mid-terms....the reason they're trying to dodge this investigation in the first place.

It has become increasingly obvious that Republicans want to sweep these events under the rug and block any legislation put forth by the Biden administration, in the hopes that they can ride it out until 2022. (when they hope to retake control of at least on branch of government) It's time for Democrats to do whatever it takes to make sure they're unsuccessful.

I guess that proves even the GOP knew full well there was no BLM, ANTIFA or radical left members in the insurrection.  Because if there was even a potential HINT of any of those entities being present the GOP would be all for it.

If the Dems keep trying to reach across the aisle instead of using their power and all the dirty tricks the GoP has, they will lose any chance of ever saving their country from the gerrymandering power hungry GoP who refuse to do anything to help their nation in an impartial manner

• Hydration 3

8 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

What does this remind you of ? 

Ancient Rome ?

Thinking of a book I read a few years back called How Rome Fell 

The Death of a Super Power.

To sum it up " Ultimately,this is the story how an empire without a serious rival rotted from within,its rulers and institutions putting short term ambition and personal survival over the wider good of the state".

Ahh sapiens how predictably stupid,greedy and destined to repeat the same mistakes we are.

A self fulfilling catastrophe.

Just finished watching a Movie called Wind River.

What it stated at the end of the movie is "while missing persons statistics are compiled for every other demographic,none exist for Native American women.

No one knows how many are missing".

Land of the free 

Home of the brave 

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Ilunga said:

Just finished watching a Movie called Wind River.

What it stated at the end of the movie is "while missing persons statistics are compiled for every other demographic,none exist for Native American women.

No one knows how many are missing".

Land of the free 

Home of the brave 

Red Dresses are hanging all over the place here on Van Isl.

https://www.jaimeblackartist.com/exhibitions/

• Hydration 2

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

The dangers of marrying your cousins.

:picard:

But don't call them "stupid", or "racist"....they're just people with a different point of view.....:rolleyes:

Edited by RUPERTKBD
  • Hydration 2
  • Vintage 1

5 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I said a while ago that social conservatives wear stupid as a badge. Now they actually have a stupid badge. 

• Vintage 4

8 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

Red Dresses are hanging all over the place here on Van Isl.

https://www.jaimeblackartist.com/exhibitions/

Thanks for posting.

These are the societal problems that trouble/upset me more than the antics of stupid people.

The portrait of life on "the reservation" in that movie is messed up.

No matter what administration is in power none of them care or even bother to acknowledge that Native American lives matter.

They have lived on Turtle Island for 11,000 years longer than both White and African Americans 

It's the frakin 21first century when are we going to treat the first nations people who inhabit the lands we live in,with decency and respect.

• Sedinery 1

20 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I said a while ago that social conservatives wear stupid as a badge. Now they actually have a stupid badge. 

On 5/29/2021 at 4:12 PM, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Now this is some anti-Semitic completely inapt analogy to the holocaust BS, unlike that dumb yearbook thing.

• Hydration 2

31 minutes ago, canuckster19 said:

Now this is some anti-Semitic completely inapt analogy to the holocaust BS, unlike that dumb yearbook thing.

Agreed.

Further to that, the yearbook thing was about a random high school student. The badge is the product of statements made by a US Congresswoman, that she and Republican supporters have chosen to double down on....

• Hydration 2

• DonLever changed the title to USA Politics/Election Thread: Joe Biden, Donald Trump, Democrats, Republicans, et al.