The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

USA Politics/Election Thread: Joe Biden, Donald Trump, Democrats, Republicans, et al.

DonLever

45 minutes ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

Step 1:  Gets too cold, can't handle it.

Step 2:  Gets too hot, also can't handle it.

Step 3:  Profit.

Ain't deregulated utilities awesome.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/unplanned-outages-hit-texas-power-plants-amid-soaring-temperatures-n1270827

'Unplanned' outages hit Texas power plants in soaring temperatures

One official said he was "deeply concerned" about the number of offline plants.

OMFG, another debacle created by the GOP in charge. Next, no water to supply the plants.

• Hydration 1

13 hours ago, Ilunga said:

Haven't noticed them invading other nations like Germany did.

Their treatment of the Uighurs still pales in comparison to the genocide committed by the Germans.

And that pales in comparison to the over 20 million people whose deaths can be attributed to Stalin.

Sapiens will be Sapiens.

The Great Leap Forward affected a few peoples lives.

14 hours ago, Ilunga said:

Well let's address Both parties involvement in conflicts abroad-inflicting pain on others-.

since the CCP's inception.

US conflicts , Korea,Vietnam,Laos, Nicaragua,Iraq just to name a few.

I remember posting how many elections they have tampered with,dictators they have supported.

Apart from supporting North Korea for strategic reasons and claiming places like Tibet, Hong Kong and Taiwan who have they @#_#@$ with ?

While the ccp/Ping wants to control his people he has not illegally invaded any country.

I remember a decade or so back we had a record wheat harvest when many other major suppliers had bad ones.

What did our government do ?

Sold it at an exbortatant profit to China,they bought it to make sure their people had food,meanwhile here where it was produced there was a shortage of bread and flour and prices skyrocketed.

Here in the west we think we are somehow "better" than China.

Our turds are just more polished.

I suggest you research the military component of Obama's pivot to Asia policy and you will find valid reasons why China feels the need to push back.

In saying all of this I repudiate the CCP's efforts to quash democracy.

They are just more blatant than say the repugs who push through voter repression laws.

The fact that the United States has been a dangerous nation doesn't negate what is happening in China now. And while the Republican Party in the US has devolved in the last few decades, the Democratic Party is really no better. 

27 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The fact that the United States has been a dangerous nation doesn't negate what is happening in China now. And while the Republican Party in the US has devolved in the last few decades, the Democratic Party is really no better. 

Disagree. I think they're quite a bit better, actually....

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Hamhuis Hip Check said:

Doesnt mean they are good, but the gop has dug the bar so low its hard to not be better than them

I guess it comes down to what one considers "good"....

One side believes in science and would like to make it easier for everyone to have a hand in the democratic process....they want to use taxpayer money to benefit the people most in need....

The other side believes that poor people are just too lazy to become wealthy....that Hollywood celebrities like to drink baby blood...that everyone should be able to carry assault weapons around with them at all times....that Climate Change is a hoax....and that taxpayer dollars are most effectively spent on those that are already wealthy....

Plus, they're actively attempting to install a ruler....just two and a half centuries after fighting a war to get rid of one...

• Like 1
  • Sedinery 1

20 hours ago, Ilunga said:

Haven't noticed them invading other nations like Germany did.

Their treatment of the Uighurs still pales in comparison to the genocide committed by the Germans.

And that pales in comparison to the over 20 million people whose deaths can be attributed to Stalin.

Sapiens will be Sapiens.

Flying under the radar for the most part (imho) for a long time:

https://reallifevillains.miraheze.org/wiki/Taisei_Yokusankai

9 hours ago, gurn said:

So was Hitler.

And Stalin.

And Genghis Kahn.

They "just" got it wrong too.

Did Mao invade other countries ?

No.

Did Mao commit genocide ?

No 

Did Mao free his country from the Japanese occupation and the western imperialist exploitation re the opium wars ?

Yes 

As I have stated he was far from perfect but he wanted the best for his people and it was an almost impossible task he was trying to achieve at that time.

Lifting hundreds of millions of people out of poverty.

He should have made different decisions and accepted the fact he made mistakes which he did not.

Was Stalin trying to help his people ?

No 

He was a paranoid lunatic that just wanted to keep hold of power.

I did not bring Temugin into this conversation.

And yes while he wanted to help his people he wanted to conquer/control others as well.

To compare Mao actions to Hitler's and Stalin's crimes against humanity is ludicrous.

But hey western propaganda Mao the the communist Babi Yaga.

4 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

Do you realise what the magnitude of the task he was trying to achieve ?

I am guessing you don't.

Well, I can certainly deduce that it was of a large enough magnitude for him to be responsible for the deaths of millions of his citizens. Same as Hitler. Same as Stalin. Same as many of the world’s biggest P’s of S. 

“it was well intentioned”, well you could make an argument that Canada’s residential school system was well intentioned. I’d disagree, but there’s an argument to be made. Doesn’t make it right. 

This is a really bad take. You’re a smart guy. Be better. 

Edited by Sean Monahan
  • Vintage 1

7 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The Great Leap Forward affected a few peoples lives.

This has been pointed out.

Do you believe his motivation can be compared to Hitler's and Stalin's motivations for what they did ?

And the scope on a world scale if what they did ?

Was Germany and Russia occupied by nations,a couple of them had turned part of the chinese people into drug addicts just to make a profit if them.

Research the history of the first and second opium wars.

What do you believe would happen if China tried to do what the western powers had done and are still in some ways trying to do - pivot to Asia ?

7 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

What is happening to the Ughuirs is _$@#$" up.

I despise people that persecute others.

What China is doing in regards to Hong Kong is $@$# up.

I believe people have the right to choose how they want to live.

A lot of people in the west have forgotten what the Chinese government has done since 1990.

To lift nearly a billion people out of poverty is an incredible feat.

https://www.bbc.com/news/56213271

Meanwhile here in the west real wages have been stagnant,the rich are getting richer, there are more working poor and or those who want more hours of work.

As I have stated no leader is perfect however it is obvious who cares about their people and who cares about power.

Joe Biden or Mitch McConnell didn't live in a cave for seven years of their lives.

22 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

Well, I can certainly deduce that it was of a large enough magnitude for him to be responsible for the deaths of millions of his citizens. Same as Hitler. Same as Stalin. Same as many of the world’s biggest P’s of S. 

“it was well intentioned”, well you could make an argument that Canada’s residential school system was well intentioned. I’d disagree, but there’s an argument to be made. Doesn’t make it right. 

This is a really bad take. You’re a smart guy. Be better. 

Hitler was not well intentioned.

Stalin was not well intentioned.

Neither of those guys really cared for their people.

And their actions affected hundreds of millions of people outside of their countries.

Mao's actions while he did want to help his people did have a major negative impact on lives within his country however not on other countries.

So to compare him to Hitler and Stalin is ludicrous.

Hitler was responsible for genocide

Check out the definition of that word.

If one has not been responsible for it how can you compare that person to one who has.

• Burr 1

26 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

I wouldn't bother trying to reason with him.  It's obvious he's a ccp sympathizer.

It's your reasoning that is at fault.

I am not a ccp sympathizer

I am a truth sympathizer.

Got no rational arguments to present there buddy ?

I despise all politicians and I believe Ping is a dictator who is trying to crush any form of democracy in his country.

I denounce him for that.

Is that clear enough for you.

• DonLever changed the title to USA Politics/Election Thread: Joe Biden, Donald Trump, Democrats, Republicans, et al.