The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

USA Politics/Election Thread: Joe Biden, Donald Trump, Democrats, Republicans, et al.

6 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

And then he lost by a "landslide", despite those 12 million extra votes, so.....

Politics aside, Biden is far better person than Trump.  Trump is a pig, much like Cuomo.  

• Vintage 2

I am very interested to see where this Jan 6 investigation committee goes. I find the host of this youtube vid a little over the top sometimes but the interview with republican Adam Kinzinger is pretty interesting. It's nice to finally see a Republican with some integrity get a voice. He raises some very valid points.

• Like 1
  • Hydration 1
1 hour ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

Of course they got a pardon.  I wonder why???

https://apnews.com/article/michael-brown-st-louis-20062ccc6593bd91757ad1ea4a190db5

Missouri governor pardons gun-waving St. Louis lawyer couple

Saw this yesterday....

It pretty much kills the idea that they had done nothing wrong, as so much of right wing media (and the McCluskeys themselves) have claimed. No reason for a pardon if you're innocent....<_<

• Thanks 1
  • Hydration 2
  • Upvote 1
2 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

inbreeding is alive & well in Oklahoma:

In Red States when they say "take back", I think they mean circa 1955......

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1
13 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

Came across this article when googling Adam Kinzinger:

https://chicago.suntimes.com/columnists/2021/8/3/22607492/adam-kinzinger-courage-jan-6-congress-phil-kadner

One excerpt:

************************************************************************************************************************************************

As for Kinzinger, when House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy warned Republicans that they’d risk losing the rest of their committee assignments if they accepted an offer from Pelosi to serve on the select committee, here’s what he had to say:

“Who gives a s—.”

“Let me be clear, I’m a Republican dedicated to conservative values,” Kinzinger said. “But I swore an oath to uphold and defend the Constitution — and while this is not the position I expected to be in or sought out, when duty calls, I will always answer.”

**************************************************************************************************************************************************

Rather refreshing.

In this case, I believe Kinzinger is channeling his inner Groucho, with a slight modification:

"I would not want to be part of any club that would accept Kevin McCarthy as a member"....

• Hydration 2
  • Upvote 1
7 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

In Red States when they say "take back", I think they mean circa 1955......

I believe a large number of them actually want to go back  further than 1955, by about 34 years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulsa_race_massacre

The Tulsa race massacre took place on May 31 and June 1, 1921, when mobs of White residents, some of them deputized and given weapons by city officials,[12] attacked Black residents and destroyed homes and businesses of the Greenwood District in Tulsa, Oklahoma, US. Alternatively known as the Tulsa race riot[13] or the Black Wall Street massacre,[14] the event is considered one of "the single worst incident[s] of racial violence in American history".[15] The attacks burned and destroyed more than 35 square blocks of the neighborhood – at the time one of the wealthiest Black communities in the United States, known as "Black Wall Street".[16]

More than 800 people were admitted to hospitals, and as many as 6,000 Black residents of Tulsa were interned in large facilities, many of them for several days.[17][18] The Oklahoma Bureau of Vital Statistics officially recorded 36 dead.[19] A 2001 state commission examination of events was able to confirm 39 dead, 26 Black and 13 White, based on contemporary autopsy reports, death certificates, and other records.[20] The commission gave several estimates ranging from 75 to 300 dead.[21][22]

The massacre began during the Memorial Day weekend after 19-year-old Dick Rowland, a Black shoeshiner, was accused of assaulting Sarah Page, the 17-year-old White elevator operator in the nearby Drexel Building. He was taken into custody. After Rowland was arrested, rumors that stated that he was going to be lynched were spread throughout the city, which had seen a White man named Roy Belton lynched the previous year. Upon hearing reports that a mob of hundreds of White men had gathered around the jail where Rowland was being held, a group of 75 Black men, some of whom were armed, arrived at the jail in order to ensure that Rowland would not be lynched. The sheriff persuaded the group to leave the jail, assuring them that he had the situation under control. An elderly White man approached O.B. Mann, a Black man, and demanded that he hand over his pistol. Mann refused, and the old man attempted to disarm him. Mann shot him, and then, according to the sheriff's reports, "all hell broke loose."[23] At the end of the exchange of gunfire, 12 people were dead, 10 White and two Black. Subsequently the militants fled back into Greenwood shooting as they went

As news of the violence spread throughout the city, mob violence exploded.[2] White rioters invaded Greenwood that night and the next morning, killing men and burning and looting stores and homes. Around noon on June 1, the Oklahoma National Guard imposed martial law, ending the massacre.

About 10,000 Black people were left homeless, and property damage amounted to more than $1.5 million in real estate and $750,000 in personal property (equivalent to $32.65 million in 2020). Many survivors left Tulsa, while Black and White residents who stayed in the city largely kept silent about the terror, violence, and resulting losses for decades. The massacre was largely omitted from local, state, and national histories.

In 1996, 75 years after the massacre, a bipartisan group in the state legislature authorized the formation of the Oklahoma Commission to Study the Tulsa Race Riot of 1921. The commission's final report, published in 2001, states that the city had conspired with the mob of White citizens against Black citizens; it recommended a program of reparations to survivors and their descendants.[24] The state passed legislation to establish scholarships for the descendants of survivors, encourage the economic development of Greenwood,[not verified in body] and develop a park in memory of the victims of the massacre in Tulsa. The park was dedicated in 2010. Schools in Oklahoma have been required to teach students about the massacre since 2002,[25] but in 2020, the massacre officially became a part of the Oklahoma school curriculum.[26]

• Sad 3

I swear USA is a 24/7 reality show there's always something going on, if it's not Trump, if it's not Biden, if it's not Dr Fauci, it's now Andrew Cuomo.... Just never ends down there, but I will say this I don't know much about the Cuomo one, I do remember Biden being accused of kissing children, but Trump was accused by 26 women but he never resigned, why does Cuomo have to?

Edited by ChuckNORRIS4Cup
8 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

I swear USA is a 24/7 reality show there's always something going on, if it's not Trump, if it's not Biden, if it's not Dr Fauci, it's now Chris Cuomo.... Just never ends down there, but I will say this I don't know much about the Cuomo one, I do remember Biden being accused of kissing children, but Trump was accused by 26 women but he never resigned, why does Cuomo have to?

Because he's a Democrat.

BTW: It's Andrew Cuomo. Chris is his brother, who works for CNN

• Hydration 4
7 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

I swear USA is a 24/7 reality show there's always something going on, if it's not Trump, if it's not Biden, if it's not Dr Fauci, it's now Chris Cuomo.... Just never ends down there, but I will say this I don't know much about the Cuomo one, I do remember Biden being accused of kissing children, but Trump was accused by 26 women but he never resigned, why does Cuomo have to?

It's true. Reality TV.

I see a difference in when a dem is accused vs a repub. I am generalising but it seems to me that the dems do the right thing and call for resignations. 

I haven't been following to closely but I thought Cuomo was trying to stay on though, but I don't see how he could/should.

Trump obviously lives in his own world so it is par for the course for him to do whatever he wants.

Biden seems like a grandpa from my era, it's just the slow-mo vids with creepy music make it look worst. My younger years were in England where every second old fart had to kiss me, hug me or pinch my cheeks. I mean I was very cute but come on, back off people. 

• Haha 4
  • DonLever changed the title to USA Politics/Election Thread: Joe Biden, Donald Trump, Democrats, Republicans, et al.