The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

USA Politics/Election Thread: Joe Biden, Donald Trump, Democrats, Republicans, et al.

DonLever

6 hours ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

Thought I'd post this here, as his cartoons get/got posted here every once in a while. 

https://gizmodo.com/anti-vaccine-cartoonist-ben-garrison-says-hes-got-covid-1847749901

Anti-Vaccine Cartoonist Ben Garrison Says He's Got Covid-19, Won't Go to Hospital

The pro-Trump cartoonist says he's lost about 15 pounds and is taking ivermectin.

Doing his own research with treatment.  As a fan of utilitarianism, I can get behind this.

• Hydration 1

Murderers pure and simple.

https://truthout.org/articles/war-in-afghanistan-isnt-over-its-taking-the-form-of-illegal-drone-strikes/

"Explosives that were most likely water bottles".

If a group or person from the middle east did this they would be labelled a terrorist and rightly so.

Western/US forces do this and it's just collateral damage.

• Upvote 2

Anther loss for ole TRUMP.  I think that there will be a number of people who will challenge their NDA's that they signed with ole TRUMP and co.  

The decision, dated on Friday and handed down on Monday, calls for her to collect legal fees from the Trump campaign.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/28/us/politics/trump-omarosa-nda-suit.html?

Trump Loses Case to Enforce Omarosa Manigault Newman’s N.D.A.

Donald Trump had filed the case against Ms. Manigault Newman, a former White House aide and “Apprentice” star, after she wrote a tell-all book about serving in his administration.

• Hydration 2
  • Haha 1

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report/trump-claims-he-won-german-election

:lol:

""Urging the German people to “stop the steal,” Donald J. Trump claimed that he was elected Chancellor of Germany over the weekend.

Trump said that, once the official vote tallies have been recounted, it will be clear that he won the German election by a “landslide.”"

(satire obviously)

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Haha 1

This doesn't really tell us anything we didn't already know, but this article by Politico spells out in detail what the Republicans are doing to try and retake the three branches of government and how their actions since the last election have been building towards that goal.

It includes an interview with Rick Hasen, who is considered one of the foremost authorities on Election Law.....

It's a fairly long article, so I'm only posting the link, but I recommend to anyone who has concerns about the state of electoral process in the US:

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2021/09/26/trump-politics-american-democracy-threat-2021-2022-analysis-514180?utm_source=pocket-newtab

• Thanks 2
  • Hydration 1

34 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

This doesn't really tell us anything we didn't already know, but this article by Politico spells out in detail what the Republicans are doing to try and retake the three branches of government and how their actions since the last election have been building towards that goal.

It includes an interview with Rick Hasen, who is considered one of the foremost authorities on Election Law.....

It's a fairly long article, so I'm only posting the link, but I recommend to anyone who has concerns about the state of electoral process in the US:

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2021/09/26/trump-politics-american-democracy-threat-2021-2022-analysis-514180?utm_source=pocket-newtab

What US needs is an Elections Canada that run all election and applies the same rules everywhere instead of this state by state patch work to determine national elections. 

But that will never happen without a constitutional ammendment and more than likely won't happen.

Looks like US is either spiraling towards a civil war or sparking WW3 in the coming decades. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, 24K PureCool said:

What US needs is an Elections Canada that run all election and applies the same rules everywhere instead of this state by state patch work to determine national elections. 

But that will never happen without a constitutional ammendment and more than likely won't happen.

Looks like US is either spiraling towards a civil war or sparking WW3 in the coming decades. 

The article certainly paints a frightening scenario. If there hadn't been people like Raffensperger in their positions after the 2020 election you have to wonder what would have happened....

On January 6th, we saw the reaction of the gullible fools who believed Trump's lies, but what if he'd actually been able to overturn the will of the people? The George Floyd protests might have looked like lunch counter sit-ins, by comparison....

Now we see the GOP trying (and generally succeeding) to install loyalists in place of the Republicans (like Raffensperger) who chose country over party and where that isn't possible, remove such decisions from their job descriptions. They're very obviously engaging in a slow motion coup....

Edited by RUPERTKBD
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

In addition.....this is why the actions of people like Joe Manchin and Kristen Sinema are so maddening....

The only reason Republican legislatures have the ability to subvert democracy is because of the Filibiuster. It needs to be scrapped, so the administration can enact a voter's rights bill with teeth. It's the only way to stop these Red State Legislatures from putting the fix in.

Yet the aforementioned politicians cling to this ridiculous idea that the GOP is willing to engage in bipartisan negotiations, even though it's obvious that their goal is simply to block any and all Democrat initiatives and run out the clock to the 2022 midterms....<_<

Anyone who thinks the US is or even was a democracy is truly delusional.

The Electoral college disabuse's that idea.

There has always been voter suppression in the US now conservatives are blatantly disregarding democratic norms in regards to making it harder for people they believe will vote against them,to vote.

1 hour ago, Ilunga said:

Anyone who thinks the US is or even was a democracy is truly delusional.

The Electoral college disabuse's that idea.

There has always been voter suppression in the US now conservatives are blatantly disregarding democratic norms in regards to making it harder for people they believe will vote against them,to vote.

Somebody's been using his word of the day calendar. :bigblush:

• Haha 2

44 minutes ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

Somebody's been using his word of the day calendar. :bigblush:

Nah standard vocabulary.

I do research different words and Synonyms my user name is a reflection of that.

They polled 1000 Linguists who stated it is the hardest word to translate to English.

Knowledge is your friend and being able to impart that knowledge through the use of words is stimulating.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

The article certainly paints a frightening scenario. If there hadn't been people like Raffensperger in their positions after the 2020 election you have to wonder what would have happened....

On January 6th, we saw the reaction of the gullible fools who believed Trump's lies, but what if he'd actually been able to overturn the will of the people? The George Floyd protests might have looked like lunch counter sit-ins, by comparison....

Now we see the GOP trying (and generally succeeding) to install loyalists in place of the Republicans (like Raffensperger) who chose country over party and where that isn't possible, remove such decisions from their job descriptions. They're very obviously engaging in a slow motion coup....

"If conservatives become convinced that they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will reject democracy.”—David Frum

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Ilunga said:

Nah standard vocabulary.

I do research different words and Synonyms my user name is a reflection of that.

They polled 1000 Linguists who stated it is the hardest word to translate to English.

Knowledge is your friend and being able to impart that knowledge through the use of words is stimulating.

I hear ya brother. My girl always accuses me of using too many big words. So I said "are you accusing me of being sesquipedalian"? Mic drop. 

That got me thinking though, the word that is used to disparage people who are overly grandiloqent is ironically one of the most obscure words in the English language. 

Edited by JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

33 minutes ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

I hear ya brother. My girl always accuses me of using too many big words. So I said "are you accusing me of being sesquipedilian"? Mic drop. 

That got me thinking though, the word that is used to disparage people who are overly grandiloqent is ironically one of the most obscure words in the English language. 

As one Wordsmith to another,I take my hat of to ya brother !

1 hour ago, Gnarcore said:

"If conservatives become convinced that they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will reject democracy.”—David Frum

This guy is decades behind the curve.

Conservatives gave up on democracy decades ago.

Now they have given up on the pretense of democracy.

Edited by Ilunga

1 hour ago, Ilunga said:

This guy is decades behind the curve.

Conservatives gave up on democracy decades ago.

Now they have given up on the pretense of democracy.

Well that guy is a neo conservative and former speech writer and I first saw it saw it shared by another neo conservative. Not sure when it was made.

Sure there is history of questionable ethics and methods over the course of US history but the blatant and obvious assault on very fabric of their system going on now is on another level. 

Edited by Gnarcore

13 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

Well that guy is a neo conservative and former speech writer and I first saw it saw it shared by another neo conservative. Not sure when it was made.

Sure there is history of questionable ethics and methods over the course of US history but the blatant and obvious assault on very fabric of their system going on now is on another level. 

That's why I stated the pretense.

As I stated in an earlier  post,the electoral college and voter  suppression have made a mockery of democracy in the US vitually since its inception.

Five times a presidential candidate has lost the popular vote and has become president,going as far back as Jackson in 1824 right up to trump in 2016. 

Democracy and the US,you have to be an imbecile to associate those two words.