The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Under-rated/Over-rated Canuck players

Hortankin

I wanted to start a thread that will get everyones insight on who they believe is over-rated or under-rated on our team.

under-rated

Sbisa

Vey

Edler

Over-rated

Vrbata

Miller

Hansen

A lot of you will jump me over Hansen but his current level of play will more than likely snap back to reality. He is a very good player and works really hard, but i cant see him keeping this up. I know some may completely disagree but packaging him with Hamhuis or Vrbata could land us a huge return that we will look back on without 1 Oz of regret. It would be a little hard to ship him with Vrby because they are both RWs but u know what i mean.

Who do you think are the most over-rated and under-rated players on the Canucks?

Just now, RonMexico said:

Sadly the Sedins are still under-rated in many circles.

They still get called out for being soft, old, slow etc. yet continue to defy the naysayers.

Im speaking entirely on how canuck fans themselves feel about our players. $#=% all them Sedin haters lol. They just mad cuz they never got to enjoy the best duo in the history of the NHL. They may not win a cup but they are the best duo IMHO. 

I'd still call Hansen under rated. People just look at his point totals and never consider his two way play, speed, and flexibility to play throughout the entire line up.

Under Rated:

Hansen

Vey

Sbisa

Dorsett

Over Rated:

Burrows

Vrbata

Hutton (but only cuz people act like he's a 1D and he's nowhere close to that yet. Maybe ever. He's good but he's not elite)

McCann (Only cuz people raging Vey is playing and not him. Your eyes will tell you Vey is way more ready and suited for a bottom 6 centre position than McCann is. McCann has a way higher ceiling but he isn't there yet.)

There seems to be some thoughts that Sbisa is underrated here on CDC.  But i'm wondering if there's another source that rates him appropriately if this is the case.  My sense is that his reputation seems to be poor, league-wide, and that Benning would be the only one to counter it.  That being said, I think he's got more to offer, for sure.  He's not yet prime age.  Perhaps top-4 potential there, depending on expectations on top-4 effectiveness.

Vey probably doesn't deserve the microscope treatment he gets, but gets it as he's a WD fav and we had to trade for him.  He's performing as-expected at the moment.  But will he improve to legit top-6?  50/50.

Edler's been underrated here for years.  Take him out and our defense is an instant basement team though.  There's just not much to be afraid of back there, with Edler being the main guy.  He's very important to the Canucks and deserves our respect.

Vrbata hasn't been overrated here since entering the playoffs last season.  At which point he's practically vanished.  He obviously needs to play with the Sedins and it's interesting to see him not playing with them unless they're deliberately lowering his value for some reason.  If he is to be traded at the deadline, this approach is obtuse.  But chalk that up to 'meh, whatever.'

Miller's playing about as-expected.  Overrated?  Not really.  Overpaid maybe, but he has a history and you have to pay for it.

Hansen's not overrated, he's just a 3rd liner playing with the Sedins.  We've seen this before.

My call for underrated vet:  Radim Vrbata.  He's still got skill and it's being wasted here.  Maybe he needs to go to a contender, because right now his UFA value is being negatively affected.

My call for overrated vet:  Tanev.  He's out of his element as top-pairing shutdown defenseman imho.  There's no doubt he's smart, but if he gets put on his ass by virtually every forward in the league, as a shutdown defenseman, Jesus Christ that's a concern.

Hansen over rated?

Hansen is the epitome of the home grown player development system that every single team in the league tries to produce.  Drafted low.  No expectations.  Speed to burn.  Has gotten better every season.  Hustles every single shift, for years.

Hansen needs to retire a Canuck.

At this point in time IMHO:

Over rated:

Baertschi - Is riding a high with Horvat and is already being cemented as a top six player in many peoples eyes. I want to see two years of this kid performing at this level before I'm comfortable having him being a go to second line player.

Sutter - My opinion on this guy is still up in the air, but I'm leaning towards overrated simply because of his contract and where he will fall on the depth charts once our youngsters start to fill out the roster.

Under rated:

Edler: He's a 2nd pairing defenseman logging #1 ice time. Nuff said.

Etem: Kid is a possession monster. And a monkey dancing around the opposition to beat opponents to the puck and winning board battles. I like him a lot.

Of course there is a difference between being say overrated and under performing. I'd say guys like Burrows or Vrbata are more under performing at the moment.  I think at this stage of his career some people are overrating Burrows based on past performance. Edler gets a lot of grief so I'd say he is often underrated by many. As others have said, there's a tendency to overrate some of the younger players based on expected future performance rather than what they are actually doing here and now.

2 hours ago, Boddy604 said:

I'd still call Hansen under rated. People just look at his point totals and never consider his two way play, speed, and flexibility to play throughout the entire line up.

Under Rated:

Hansen

Vey

Sbisa

Dorsett

Over Rated:

Burrows

Vrbata

Hutton (but only cuz people act like he's a 1D and he's nowhere close to that yet. Maybe ever. He's good but he's not elite)

McCann (Only cuz people raging Vey is playing and not him. Your eyes will tell you Vey is way more ready and suited for a bottom 6 centre position than McCann is. McCann has a way higher ceiling but he isn't there yet.)

I am not sure how you  can get Hutton and McCann at overrated when this is there first year in the league and they are doing exceptionally well...

1 hour ago, Mathew Barzal said:

At this point in time IMHO:

Over rated:

Baertschi - Is riding a high with Horvat and is already being cemented as a top six player in many peoples eyes. I want to see two years of this kid performing at this level before I'm comfortable having him being a go to second line player.

Sutter - My opinion on this guy is still up in the air, but I'm leaning towards overrated simply because of his contract and where he will fall on the depth charts once our youngsters start to fill out the roster.

Under rated:

Edler: He's a 2nd pairing defenseman logging #1 ice time. Nuff said.

Etem: Kid is a possession monster. And a monkey dancing around the opposition to beat opponents to the puck and winning board battles. I like him a lot.

Very few people have Baertschi marked as a lock for a top six forward right now, rather they are getting excited at the potential of him being a top six forward for which he has shown flashes of being in the last 15 games or so. To that end, I think it's pretty ridiculous to claim him as being "overrated" simply because fans are getting excited, additionally waiting as long as you suggest, leads me to mock you with the question, why not just wait until his career is over before you get excited?

If not now then when?

Additionally this notion that one player is riding the coattails of another is asinine;especially in the case of Horvat and Baertschi, You say it like it's a certainty, but you have no zero evidence to suggest that that is indeed the case, and plenty of evidence to contradict it. Both struggled when playing without each other, and now that they're together they are succeeding and that's because of only one of them?

Ridiculous.

Archived