The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Under-rated/Over-rated Canuck players

Hortankin

32 minutes ago, Longtime Fan said:

I know a lot of the "experts" out there are going to be all over this but IMO, at the moment, Bo Horvat is overrated.  He has the worst + - in the entire NHL at - 27 in 52 games.  I like him and this is an area he can improve on but at the moment - overrated.

+/- now there's something that's over rated ;) 

Sbisa and Hansen underrated. 

People wanted Hansen traded in the offseason cause he was just a "useless 3rd liner"...

Horvat and Dorsett overrated 

Horvat is a great talent but people act like he's a clone of Bergeron. Not the case. Not yet anyway lol. Dorsett is inconsistent as hell with his physical play and his 5"11 frame isn't helpful in fighting 6'4 goons. 

The last 15 games prove that Horvat could be more than a franchise leader, he could be a league leader.

He's being groomed slowly and paying his dues.  Hasn't complained once and still puts in all the hard work to get better.

I cannot say enough good things about this kid....a few more years and I would love to make some of these CDC'ers recant publicly.

On 09/02/2016 at 0:57 PM, higgyfan said:

Go cheer for another team.  Canucks don't need 'fans' like you. 

I think the name "higgyfan" says it all.  The Canucks need players who can keep up and who show effort and determination every time they put on the sweater that represents our city and our fan base.  You honestly can watch his play and say to yourself "Hey,  that guy looks like he really gives a sh!t,  and wow,  look at all that hustle!!"  Guy is an overrated non difference maker.  Reality hurts. 

On 2/9/2016 at 3:16 PM, McHortanen said:

I wanted to start a thread that will get everyones insight on who they believe is over-rated or under-rated on our team.

under-rated

Sbisa

Vey

Edler

Over-rated

Vrbata

Miller

Hansen

A lot of you will jump me over Hansen but his current level of play will more than likely snap back to reality. He is a very good player and works really hard, but i cant see him keeping this up. I know some may completely disagree but packaging him with Hamhuis or Vrbata could land us a huge return that we will look back on without 1 Oz of regret. It would be a little hard to ship him with Vrby because they are both RWs but u know what i mean.

Who do you think are the most over-rated and under-rated players on the Canucks?

Hansen has played the same way every year, hard working and always had a good shot plus speed, just playing on a third line really couldn't do maybe what he could do given better opporunity.  It's just time to go for Vrbata, he's stale in Vancouver giving us nothing and seems like he doesn't care.  Miller has played good and you can't really blame him for how he played tonight against the Leafs or in many games because we are getting outshot and outplayed in many, however Markstrom in the same situation has proven better, so we could do without Miller I think under that situation.  I find Vey hit or miss on a lot of nights, but I will give the guy one thing, he works hard every night and gets a A for effort.  Sbisa I find is getting better and better!

13 hours ago, VenitoHammer said:

I think the name "higgyfan" says it all.  The Canucks need players who can keep up and who show effort and determination every time they put on the sweater that represents our city and our fan base.  You honestly can watch his play and say to yourself "Hey,  that guy looks like he really gives a sh!t,  and wow,  look at all that hustle!!"  Guy is an overrated non difference maker.  Reality hurts. 

Higgins has had a great NHL career and most fans would agree that he has performed well for Vancouver.  He has been the epitomy of "players who can keep up and who show effort and determination".  He has been one of the hardest working players on the team and character guy to boot.  

In the past season, Higgy has lost a step and is no longer playing like he once did.  This happens to every athelete on the planet at some point.  Nothing lasts forever, grasshopper.

Overrated:

Dorsett (takes bad penalties, is not a terribly good player, and worst of all is also seriously overpaid)

Tanev (good second pairing guy but is not offensive or physical. One dimension that he is good at but lots of holes too)

Horvat (only because people are anointing him future captain, possible next Toews, etc. He has a long way to go to live up to the CDC hype)

Underrated:

Sbisa (gets crapped on but is a solid second/third pairing quality guy who still is putting it all together)

Edler (miscast as a no1 and overplayed in a role he is not suited for. A solid complementary second pairing dman. He just needs to be used that way)

Sedins (all the crap they take yet they are still great players and great people. Deserve to be in the same company as some of the greats)

On 14/02/2016 at 7:52 PM, VenitoHammer said:

Are you serious? Yes Higgins has declined sharply starting last year, but that guy bled blue for years. He consistly put up good numbers for his ice time and salary. He was a penalty killer, played up and down the lineup, worked his ass off, and scored clutch goals when we needed him. Further more he did all this with a smile on his face and impacting the community in a positive way. He was the perfect mentor for our young guys and a middle of the lineup leader.

The fact that you complete disrespect someone for being a fan of a local guy of his character says way more about you then him. 

Anyways, to address the subject at hand. 

Underrated. 

The Sedins- by the entire league outside Vancouver, always have been for the calibre of superstar they are. 

Hansen- consistent dark horse of the team, he's a 3rd line grinder who does so much more. 

Edler- has been our most offensively proficient D for years, not always the most sound defensively, but you could say the exact opposite about Tanev who seems to be universally loved. 

Sbisa- our numbers with him out of the lineup speak for themselves. He also seems to be one of the few non fighters who will step up and do what needs to be done. 

Vey- overrated by WD, but Underrated by CDC

Overrated 

Vrbata and  Dorsett. A top 6 who can't score and doesn't play hard, and a grinder who's job could be done much cheaper by a hungry kid.

Miller isn't overrated, but I do think he's overpayed. 

Archived