The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Under-rated/Over-rated Canuck players

Hortankin

I'm shocked at seeing Tanev in the Overrated category a few times.. but I agree. 

Overrated doesn't mean he's a bad player - he's an excellent defenseman, but without the snarl or offensive creativity he's a super effective one dimensional player.  On a team that needs snarl and offensive creativity.

On 2016-02-09 at 0:23 PM, McHortanen said:

Im speaking entirely on how canuck fans themselves feel about our players. $#=% all them Sedin haters lol. They just mad cuz they never got to enjoy the best duo in the history of the NHL. They may not win a cup but they are the best duo IMHO. 

The Sedins are fantastic, but they're not Gretzky and Kurri, or Bossy and Trottier.

I do have them near the top of the list of duos though.

8 hours ago, oldnews said:

under-rated

Benning

Desjardins

Markstrom

Edler

Hamhuis

Sbisa

Bartkowski

Sutter

Honey Badger

Dorsett

Higgins

Cracknell

There are a few I can mildly agree with on your list and most I can agree with... But Higgins?  How so? I have been very outspoken against Higgins this year and most of last.  I am wondering what I missed this year that makes him underrated in your opinion. 

if I were to gauge on how they are performing vs expectations / fan reaction then probably the underrated are:
-- Vey
-- Hansen
-- Edler (honestly his goal totals are equal to the rest of the defence o.O )
-- Baertschi
-- Sbisa
-- Miller

in terms of overrated:
-- Etem

I'd put Vrbata in the overrated list but honestly everyone is ragging on him for good reason so i'd say he's properly rated lol. Can add Weber in the same boat as Vrbata

2 hours ago, nom_de_plume said:

There are a few I can mildly agree with on your list and most I can agree with... But Higgins?  How so? I have been very outspoken against Higgins this year and most of last.  I am wondering what I missed this year that makes him underrated in your opinion. 

Simple.  I don't judge a player in the midst of fighting through a broken foot and concussion.

People here have extremely short memories.   I know what Higgins is capable of when he's healthy. 

2 hours ago, nom_de_plume said:

Simple.  I don't judge a player in the midst of fighting through a broken foot and concussion.

People here have extremely short memories.   I know what Higgins is capable of when he's healthy. 

Do we weigh under / over rated based on the total time they have played as a Canuck, or right now at present? By our fans or the rest of the league? Over-rated for the salary he is getting vs. play on the ice? The player Willie D under-rates vs. fans?

For instance, the Sedins were under-rated for years around the league, but not here. Burrows is now showing his age and you could say that I am guilty of over-rating him now. But he was under-rated by many, especially league wide, for years. And he is still the biggest battler on the team so I'm still giving him a pass.

Based on the overall time here, underrated:   Hansen.   Over-rated: Edler, Hamhuis

Based on now at present, underated:  If I were to pick one player only I'd say Cracknell, who never seems to get the ice time he deserves. Over-rated: Vrbata (by Willie, this guy should be sat asap, but they probably want to show case him)

Based on salary, over-rated: Miller, Dorsett  Under-rated: Cracknell again. And a few kids like Pedan, Shinkaruk, Gaunce based on how often they are brought up.

11 hours ago, oldnews said:

under-rated

Benning

Desjardins

Markstrom

Edler

Hamhuis

Sbisa

Bartkowski

Sutter

Honey Badger

Dorsett

Higgins

Cracknell

Over-rated:

Benning

Desjardins

Markstrom

Edler

Hamhuis

Sbisa

Bartkowski

Need I go on? :P

Every fan base overvalues their team to some extent.

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

Sure, good point.  My question, then, is why is he playing if those injuries affected him so much?  He took a severe nose dive late last year and all of this year.  At some point a pro of his experience has to realize when he is hurting the team more than benefiting.

Over the years this place has done some pretty major overrating. 

The biggest, under/overrating on CDC is with the prospects. 

And the most overrated prospect in recent history. 

1. Jordan Subban - imagine Justin Schultz 1ft shorter. 

2. Jordan Schroeder - I hated this kid the second his name was called. 

3. Dane Fox - a complete waste of a contract. People actually had him penciled in the top 6 when we signed him. 

the most overrated player in recent history would be a 2 way tie for 1st

1. Kassian/Coho - the trade that rocked Vancouver turned out to be a "nothing" trade haha

2. Harold Snepsts - The fact that this guy is in the ring of honour shows how bad our franchise has been since its inception.

3. Roberto Luongo - He was good, just not that good in Boston, or Chicago. I don't care what anyone says he was a choker. His Twitter account is also very overrated.  

Most underrated in recent history?!

Rick Rypien - he is immortalized now, but before his death there was a lot of people who absolutely hated him on this team. You know who you are, I hope you all burn in hell. 

Willie Mitchell - If we had Willie on our team in 2011 we would have been Stanley cup Champions. He should have been resigned and given the C. 

Sergei Shirokov - This guys NHL career was ruined simply because AV hated him. He refused to set a pure offensive talent up to succeed. Not everyone can win a Selke AV. We totally dropped the ball in his development, absolutely tragic. 

18 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

Over the years this place has done some pretty major overrating. 

The biggest, under/overrating on CDC is with the prospects. 

And the most overrated prospect in recent history. 

1. Jordan Subban - imagine Justin Schultz 1ft shorter. 

2. Jordan Schroeder - I hated this kid the second his name was called. 

3. Dane Fox - a complete waste of a contract. People actually had him penciled in the top 6 when we signed him. 

the most overrated player in recent history would be a 2 way tie for 1st

1. Kassian/Coho - the trade that rocked Vancouver turned out to be a "nothing" trade haha

2. Harold Snepsts - The fact that this guy is in the ring of honour shows how bad our franchise has been since its inception.

3. Roberto Luongo - He was good, just not that good in Boston, or Chicago. I don't care what anyone says he was a choker. His Twitter account is also very overrated.  

Most underrated in recent history?!

Rick Rypien - he is immortalized now, but before his death there was a lot of people who absolutely hated him on this team. You know who you are, I hope you all burn in hell. 

Willie Mitchell - If we had Willie on our team in 2011 we would have been Stanley cup Champions. He should have been resigned and given the C. 

Sergei Shirokov - This guys NHL career was ruined simply because AV hated him. He refused to set a pure offensive talent up to succeed. Not everyone can win a Selke AV. We totally dropped the ball in his development, absolutely tragic. 

:towel:

Archived