The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Once again, no shame Leafs tank

*Buzzsaw*

1 minute ago, The Game said:

I really don't understand why you wouldn't do what's best for the team, there is not point in finishing just outside the playoffs, Canucks style. Better to load up for the future.

the thing about the Leafs was they were actually still in a playoff position when they fired Randy Carlyle ,  its like they watched the World Juniors, fell in love with McDavid, realized ok, we are too good to draft him, lets do a mid season tank, hire an incompetent man, gut the roster and hope for the best.    rather disgraceful.   They were actually pretty good, and at that time, recently beat Detroit at the winter classic.

1 hour ago, The Game said:

I really don't understand why you wouldn't do what's best for the team, there is not point in finishing just outside the playoffs, Canucks style. Better to load up for the future.

Do you just spew nonsense or do you even bother to fact check?

FACT #1: In the last 15 years the Canucks have missed the Playoffs 4 times... Once due to a lockout (meaning everyone missed the playoffs)

FACTS #2,3,4: They drafted 14('06), 10('08) and 6('14)...

So you could say that ONCE they've just missed the playoffs in the last FIFTEEN years or FOURTEEN seasons. Such nonsense...

1 hour ago, The Game said:

Besides team morale, fan enthusiasm and pride, the ability to attract quality UFAs? You're right, no point in trying for the playoffs. Just save up enough lottery tickets and trade them in for one Stanley Cup.

1 hour ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

the thing about the Leafs was they were actually still in a playoff position when they fired Randy Carlyle ,  its like they watched the World Juniors, fell in love with McDavid, realized ok, we are too good to draft him, lets do a mid season tank, hire an incompetent man, gut the roster and hope for the best.    rather disgraceful.   They were actually pretty good, and at that time, recently beat Detroit at the winter classic.

In any case, they've got a great coach and the team is close to having played a full year under him.  Same goes for Edmonton.  Much higher expectations going into the 16-17 season.

23 minutes ago, Winter Soldier said:

Besides team morale, fan enthusiasm and pride, the ability to attract quality UFAs? You're right, no point in trying for the playoffs. Just save up enough lottery tickets and trade them in for one Stanley Cup.

Yeah, worked out great for the Flames with Iggy and Kipper between 2007 and 2012...

2 hours ago, Aircool said:

Do you just spew nonsense or do you even bother to fact check?

FACT #1: In the last 15 years the Canucks have missed the Playoffs 4 times... Once due to a lockout (meaning everyone missed the playoffs)

FACTS #2,3,4: They drafted 14('06), 10('08) and 6('14)...

So you could say that ONCE they've just missed the playoffs in the last FIFTEEN years or FOURTEEN seasons. Such nonsense...

Do you just spew nonsense or do you even bother to see what he was trying to say? He means this year we are heading to be just outside of the playoffs THIS YEAR.............. 

6 hours ago, Winter Soldier said:

The same way drafting high endlessly has worked out for the Islanders, Avs, Oilers, Panthers and Coyotes.

Islanders and Panthers are becoming a better team because of their high draft picks. Look no further than Tavares, Strome, de Haan, Ekblad, Huberdeau, Barkov, and Gudbranson...

5 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

I wouldn't call this a tank. I would call it an honest rebuild. They are slowly getting rid of pieces from the old regime.

Sounds like a TANK for Austin Matthews to me.  I'm shocked the league doesn't step in, and stop the Leafs from being so blatant about trading their best players for crappy guys.  

7 hours ago, The Game said:

Yeah, getting high draft picks is a bad strategy. Chicago, LA and Pittsburgh are prime examples of that. 

It's more about drafting better secondary players. Players who go in the 2nd to later rounds. Without them, you won't have the depth to win the SC; that's why teams like CHI and LA are successful. Or even Detroit for past 10 years and more. 

Archived