The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Pat Quinn Book

cabinessence

Dan Robson’s Quinn: The Life of a Hockey Legend 

I'm current reading the book Quinn: The life of a Hockey Legend. Has anyone here read it as well? I am really impressed with the book thus far. However, it's just mind boggling how lazy the research was when it came to the 1994 finals. Claiming the Canucks were down 3-1 in game 5? It was not true! They were up 3-0!  Claiming Jeff Brown scored the infamous goal that was actually tallied by Geoff Courtnall in Game 6? Then calling Geoff Courtnall , Russ in Game 7? The author also calls Jim Robson, teh CBC announcer, when he was at the time calling games for CKNW. When you read such blatant erroneous content, it can cause one to doubt the validity of information read that wasn't previously known. I just don't get the laziness or shoddy journalism here.

Robson often did Canucks games for CBC while he was with NW.

OP, speaking of "blatant erroneous content", a little research by you would also go a long way:

Do yourself a favour and youtube "Jim Robson call - He will play. You know he'll play. He'll play on crutches".  Funny enough, you'll even see the CBC logo on the screen.

Here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSdIHTx1-DE

One of the most iconic game calls in Canuck history. And it's Robson on CBC. Imagine that.

From Wikipedia:

Nationally, Jim Robson is probably best remembered for his call of Bob Nystrom's Cup-winning overtime goal for the Islanders in 1980. Locally, his voice is linked to every significant Canucks moment in the '70s, '80s, and '90s, particularly the 1982 and 1994 Stanley Cup playoffs.

31 minutes ago, cabinessence said:

I'm current reading the book Quinn: The life of a Hockey Legend. Has anyone here read it as well? I am really impressed with the book thus far. However, it's just mind boggling how lazy the research was when it came to the 1994 finals. Claiming the Canucks were down 3-1 in game 5? It was not true! They were up 3-0!  Claiming Jeff Brown scored the infamous goal that was actually tallied by Geoff Courtnall in Game 6? Then calling Geoff Courtnall , Russ in Game 7? The author also calls Jim Robson, teh CBC announcer, when he was at the time calling games for CKNW. When you read such blatant erroneous content, it can cause one to doubt the validity of information read that wasn't previously known. I just don't get the laziness or shoddy journalism here.

Are you sure he doesn't mean 'down 3 games to 1' in game 5? That would be true.

5 minutes ago, MJDDawg said:

Robson often did Canucks games for CBC while he was with NW.

OP, speaking of "blatant erroneous content", a little research by you would also go a long way:

From Wikipedia:

Just to add from Wikipedia:

National television[edit]

Jim Robson also did additional work for CBC's Hockey Night in Canada, covering games primarily from western Canada. It was for HNIC that he broadcast the Canucks' first NHL game, a 3–1 home loss to the Los Angeles Kings on October 9, 1970. His reputation as one of the top broadcasters in the business became apparent and he was assigned to the Stanley Cup Finals in 1975, 1980, 1982, which involved the Canucks, as they faced off against the New York Islanders, and 1983. The previous year, he called the series when it was at the Nassau Coliseum on the radio with Larscheid. However, when the series was in Vancouver, he called the games on the CBC with Gary Dornhoefer and Howie Meeker.

In addition, he covered the NHL All-Star Games in 1977 (Vancouver), 1981 (Los Angeles), and 1983 (Long Island). He left HNIC after the 1984–85 season, but made a couple of national appearances afterward, for CBC in the 1987 playoffs and Global for the 1988 Smythe Division Final between the Edmonton Oilers and Calgary Flames.

He also covered the Vancouver Canucks on television broadcasts on BCTV, CHEK-TV and VTV from 1985–86 through 1998–99. From 1987–88 to 1993–94, Robson provided both radio and television play-by-play for the Canucks on simulcasts, alongside colour commentators Monahan and Larscheid.

Nationally, Jim Robson is probably best remembered for his call of Bob Nystrom's Cup-winning overtime goal for the Islanders in 1980. Locally, his voice is linked to every significant Canucks moment in the '70s, '80s, and '90s, particularly the 1982 and 1994 Stanley Cup playoffs.

Actually, lazy on your part. Or perhaps  I wasn't clear enough. The author wrote "Linden has struggled" to the bench, announced Hockey Night in Canada broadcaster Jim Robson. That would imply that Robson was calling the game on HNIC. During the 1994 finals, the play by play on CBC was done by Bob Cole. No bass for you!

2 minutes ago, cabinessence said:

Actually, lazy on your part. Or perhaps  I wasn't clear enough. The author wrote "Linden has struggled" to the bench, announced Hockey Night in Canada broadcaster Jim Robson. That would imply that Robson was calling the game on HNIC. During the 1994 finals, the play by play on CBC was done by Bob Cole. No bass for you!

2 minutes ago, cabinessence said:

Look at the link I posted dude and tell me what you see and hear, then get back to me.

45 minutes ago, Jack Fig said:

Are you sure he doesn't mean 'down 3 games to 1' in game 5? That would be true.

Nope, he wrote of game 5 where the Rangers took a 3-1 lead into the third period  were up 3-1, and Vancouver scored 5 times in the second period. The truth is, Vancouver was up 3-0, then the Rangers came back to tie it 3-3. Vancouver then scored 3 unanswered goals.

56 minutes ago, cabinessence said:

Thanks for he dude comment. That link is a video of the game with CKNW audio dubbed over.Cue bass solo.

Believe what you want, I watched that game on CBC with Robson calling it on CBC. It was a national telecast. So now you have a book and someone telling you the opposite of what you want to hear. Where's YOUR "proof", besides the one you've convinced yourself of in your own mind?

Congrats, you've joined a very prestigious and select group of people:

1 hour ago, cabinessence said:

I read the book. All in all a great read for any Canucks fan.

The accusation of lazy journalism is something that one should not toss around lightly. At the end of the book, the author goes through great effort to detail his sources of information and interviews for the content. 

The reference to game 5 is indeed a reference to the score of the series at that time.

I'm not sure what you mean by the "infamous"  Jeff Brown goal, what was infamous?

I did catch the Russ Courtnall error, Russ actually joined the Canucks later on.

Jim Robson was working as a CBC announcer for the playoffs that year so this is correct.

The conclusion of blatant erroneous content I think is altogether way too harsh and rather erroneous in itself. My conclusion is that these were editorial errors as opposed to research errors. I leant my copy of the book to a friend so I don't have it at hand but I see 2 confirmed errors to you, 1 to the publisher and 1 accusation that is not clearly presented so please draw your own conclusions..

10 minutes ago, MJDDawg said:

Believe what you want, I watched that game on CBC with Robson calling it on CBC. It was a national telecast. So now you have a book and someone telling you the opposite of what you want to hear. Where's YOUR "proof", besides the one you've convinced yourself of in your own mind?

Congrats, you've joined a very prestigious and select group of people:

facepalm-2014.jpg?w=900

You are completely wrong on this. Jim Robson called the game for CKNW radio. Are you claiming that CBC had a simulcast with CBC? If not, who called the game on CKNW?

11 minutes ago, GarthButcher5 said:

The accusation of lazy journalism is something that one should not toss around lightly. At the end of the book, the author goes through great effort to detail his sources of information and interviews for the content. 

The reference to game 5 is indeed a reference to the score of the series at that time.

I'm not sure what you mean by the "infamous"  Jeff Brown goal, what was infamous?

I did catch the Russ Courtnall error, Russ actually joined the Canucks later on.

Jim Robson was working as a CBC announcer for the playoffs that year so this is correct.

The conclusion of blatant erroneous content I think is altogether way too harsh and rather erroneous in itself. My conclusion is that these were editorial errors as opposed to research errors. I leant my copy of the book to a friend so I don't have it at hand but I see 2 confirmed errors to you, 1 to the publisher and 1 accusation that is not clearly presented so please draw your own conclusions..

This is actually a better response compared to the other guy. 

21 minutes ago, GarthButcher5 said:

No, Jim Robson called the game on CKNW - not CBC. 

"The reference to game 5 is indeed a reference to the score of the series at that time" No, it was not.  "...taking a decisive 3-1 lead in the first period." Had the author written "into" instead of "in", there may be a case.

The infamous goal was the 4-1 marker scored by Geoff Courtnall:

See and here the clip as called by Jim Robson on CBC....no wait, that is indeed Bob Cole.

On page 271, the author mentions Linden scoring in game 7 off a beautiful pass from Russ Courtnall. Do you really think an editor would just rewrite the events of a game?

There are no errors on my post. All criticisms have been backed up.

56 minutes ago, cabinessence said:

Nope, he wrote of game 5 where the Rangers took a 3-1 lead into the third period  were up 3-1, and Vancouver scored 5 times in the second period. The truth is, Vancouver was up 3-0, then the Rangers came back to tie it 3-3. Vancouver then scored 3 unanswered goals.

Yep, that's how she went. Good times.

Well, after some additional due diligence, it appears that I may be way off base with what I thought was correct.

So I'd like to apologize to cabinessence for some previous remarks regarding brain matter that were uncalled-for. Sorry about that. Lost my mind just for a moment. 

Let me say that you are looking at MJDDawg...KING of the idiots.

While I thought for sure I new, I never realized how the broadcast arrangement actually worked back then, and while Jim was "on CBC" making that historic call, it appears it was indeed a simulcast arrangement for the local market only. Whether he was calling for BCTV or CBC, I'm still not sure, but irrelevant at this point.  Now my world has been turned upside down and black is white, up is down, night is day...

Again, my sincere apologies.

11 minutes ago, MJDDawg said:

Well, after some additional due diligence, it appears that I may be way off base with what I thought was correct.

So I'd like to apologize to cabinessence for some previous remarks regarding brain matter that were uncalled-for. Sorry about that. Lost my mind just for a moment. 

Let me say that you are looking at MJDDawg...KING of the idiots.

While I thought for sure I new, I never realized how the broadcast arrangement actually worked back then, and while Jim was "on CBC" making that historic call, it appears it was indeed a simulcast arrangement for the local market only. Whether he was calling for BCTV or CBC, I'm still not sure, but irrelevant at this point.  Now my world has been turned upside down and black is white, up is down, night is day...

Again, my sincere apologies.

No need to apologize! You called me dude, which was nice. Debate is what makes things interesting. 

11 hours ago, MJDDawg said:

Look at the link I posted dude and tell me what you see and hear, then get back to me.

not trying to make u look bad but robson had nothing to do with cbc at that point in his career. the actual cbc broadcast was called by cole and neil. they are just syncing the cknw broadcast of larscheid and robson to the cbc film of the game. im 100% sure about this. 

Archived