The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] Vancouver Grizzlies

The Great 8

http://www.si.com/nba/2016/02/17/vancouver-grizzlies-memphis-mike-bibby-shareef-abdur-rahim-david-stern?xid=si_nba

Very good read by Sports Illustrated really describing how the Grizzlies were in the past and how if it were today things would be much different. I really enjoy Basketball as much as Hockey and wish we still had the Grizzlies!!

Seattle is ahead of us in terms of business, fanbase and even they will have trouble getting a second chance. We have an NBA ready stadium that's it. If the Grizzlies drafted Yao Ming and Steve Nash, I doubt the team would have left. We had a team in a sport in a city not ready for it. The NBA players weren't ready for it. Vancouver was like Siberia to them. Colossal mis-management did the team in. But do you wonder about players that one of their primary concerns are what is the night life like???

NBA can stay away. The attitudes of the league and players towards Vancouver turned me off of NBA for life. I mean... they had a special rule in place ONLY during the canadian expansion that blocked new teams from getting high draft picks. And there weren't many players who didn't grumble about being here. 

It's tough looking back at all the NBA championships Steve Francis won and all the records he still holds.  Him and Vince Carter are the definition of character and integrity, maybe the Sedins can learn from them?  Who knows.

Before David Stern stepped down from being the NBA commissioner, he kept saying that his biggest regret was removing the Grizzlies from Vancouver. He had no idea the city would grow as fast and as beautiful as it did.

15 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

It's tough looking back at all the NBA championships Steve Francis won and all the records he still holds.  Him and Vince Carter are the definition of character and integrity, maybe the Sedins can learn from them?  Who knows.

Character and integrity don't look they get a death sentence when the team they don't want to draft them, takes them. 

15 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Steve Francis... integrity? Please tell me you are being sarcastic

3 hours ago, butters said:

NBA can stay away. The attitudes of the league and players towards Vancouver turned me off of NBA for life. I mean... they had a special rule in place ONLY during the canadian expansion that blocked new teams from getting high draft picks. And there weren't many players who didn't grumble about being here. 

Bang on.

In addition, the franchise was screwed over by Stern. They "helped" by suggesting Stu Jackson as the team's GM and it's hard to imagine someone doing a worse job. Big Country Reeves at 11 million and Steve Francis who made it abundantly clear that he would not play in Vancouver. Disco Stu compounded that error by getting totally fleeced when he ultimately had to trade "Stevie Franchise".

Meanwhile Stern promised the city that new owner Michael Heisley would not move the team. We all know what happened next...

Let T.O. have the NBA and the headaches that go along with it.

2 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

I'm guessing this was sarcasm, right?

Vancouver can hardly support a mediocre hockey team 5 years removed from the cup final. 

This city is not a sports town, never has been and never will be. Only way the Griz would have thrived is if they made the finals every year. 

Its amazing how a city so dam big doesn't fill arenas just by percentages.  

On February 22, 2016 at 11:54 AM, butters said:

Not to mention us trading for a player and him showing up in a parka in July! Ignorance at its finest. 

5 hours ago, LaBamba said:

Vancouver can hardly support a mediocre hockey team 5 years removed from the cup final. 

This city is not a sports town, never has been and never will be. Only way the Griz would have thrived is if they made the finals every year. 

Its amazing how a city so dam big doesn't fill arenas just by percentages.  

I hate this garbage that Moj spews, it's not that Vancouver isn't a spirts town Vancouver is similar to LA in the sense that there is a lot to do. The Canucks have competition outside of just sports whether it be general entrainment concerts etc. Solid night life, a ton of outdoors options. So to the average fan spending money on a struggling team becomes a secondary option. 

All cities have their die hards it's just that cities that have other activities to do have stiffer competition when going gets tough.

This ain't Edmonton or Winnipeg where there is not much else to do. Hell even Toronto is seeing huge dips in attendance at Leaf games. Hell Maple Leaf tickets can be had for $20-30 now cheapest in years...

4 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

I hate this garbage that Moj spews, it's not that Vancouver isn't a spirts town Vancouver is similar to LA in the sense that there is a lot to do. The Canucks have competition outside of just sports whether it be general entrainment concerts etc. Solid night life, a ton of outdoors options. So to the average fan spending money on a struggling team becomes a secondary option. 

All cities have their die hards it's just that cities that have other activities to do have stiffer competition when going gets tough.

This ain't Edmonton or Winnipeg where there is not much else to do. Hell even Toronto is seeing huge dips in attendance at Leaf games. Hell Maple Leaf tickets can be had for $20-30 now cheapest in years...

Have you ever been anywhere? 

If you have left Vancouver, then you would know that Calgary for example has just as much to do during the winter then Vancouver. In fact I would argue that there is more to do in the winter in a city with a winter climate. 

You wanna know what I'm sick of? People thinking Vancouver is this magical whimsical place where dreams are reality.

Vancouver is a damp musky hole in the winter. I'd probably hang myself by March if I had to stay for the duration of winter. 

Maybe that is why Vancouver has no passion. The relentless rain washes it away. 

9 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

If you have left Vancouver, then you would know that Calgary for example has just as much to do during the winter then Vancouver. In fact I would argue that there is more to do in the winter in a city with a winter climate. 

You wanna know what I'm sick of? People thinking Vancouver is this magical whimsical place where dreams are reality.

Vancouver is a damp musky hole in the winter. I'd probably hang myself by March if I had to stay for the duration of winter. 

Maybe that is why Vancouver has no passion. The relentless rain washes it away. 

I didn't say anything about Calgary... In fact I like Calgary as a city hence I did not mention Calgary... At all. 

17 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

I didn't say anything about Calgary... In fact I like Calgary as a city hence I did not mention Calgary... At all. 

Well stop using " I would sooner go for a hike in the majestic beauty of Vancouver, at 7pm in the darkness of night then go to a sporting event" 

it makes absolutely no sense. 

1 hour ago, LaBamba said:

Well stop using " I would sooner go for a hike in the majestic beauty of Vancouver, at 7pm in the darkness of night then go to a sporting event" 

it makes absolutely no sense. 

That has nothing to do with Calgary at all. Speaking of making no sense. I also didn't say I would, again stop making up random arguments out of things I didn't say.

There are die hards and casual fans obviously the die hards (like myself) will always be there. However, casual fans especially in a city like Vancouver, LA, Nashville, New York, Chicago etc. Will find other options. 

Some cities have more die hards than others as well but writing off the city as a non sports town is bs and a stupid cop out. 

We've hosted the Olympics successfully, The Vancouver Indy always had great attendance until they moved out of here for more oval races. The whitecaps have great attendance, the Canadiens sell out a lot especially for an entry minor pro league. We're getting World Cup Qualifiers as well as the Rugby Seven series. 

So to say we're not a sports city is garbage.

Vancouver is a city with a lot of options and a diverse population.

Archived