2015-16

Calgary Flames

NHL

NHL Totals

From <http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=132220>

Traded Feb 22/16 to Vancouver for F H.Shinkaruk

Edited by Johnny Torts

I'm actually excited for this kid.

A smart and competitive two-way forward that boasts an elite-level skill package. Tremendous hands and puck skills compliment the accurate release on his shot. Not an explosive skater, but mobile to a professional degree. Understands his game and what is expected of him, but can start to play out of his box when trying to exceed expectations. When playing with confidence, he knows his abilities and plays to their extent. Excellent passer as well as a shooter; consistently exhibits keen awareness and hockey sense. Strong defensively and can move the puck out of his zone very well due to his tendency to play the game in lanes. Game by game he works on the small things, and looks for ways to make an impact in the offensive and defensive end. He will only get better.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=19426 

Granlund has good hockey sense, excellent playmaking abilities and sees the ice well. The skilled center is exceptional at running the power play but needs to improve his overall strength and skating to play at the NHL level. The younger brother of the Minnesota Wild's Mikael Granlund, he has emerged from his brother's shadows and has begun to establish himself as an effective offensive threat. His defensive game and positional play is improved but still needs refining and his size and strength is sometimes a disadvantage at the NHL level.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/markus_granlund/ 

Edited by thejazz97
  • Upvote 2

I think I've figured this trade out. From THN for his draft year:

Assets: Like older brother Mikael, he oozes creativity and offensive ability. Also makes his teammates better around him as a general rule. Has some two-way ability, as well.
Flaws: Doesn't have ideal NHL size, so he will need to add significant bulk in order to prove he can produce quality numbers at the highest level over time. Isn't an elite goal-scorer.
Career Potential: Talented playmaker with some upside.

• Upvote 2

Granlund is more refined. Played two seasons in the finnish pro leagues as a teen before coming over to play in the AHL.

His AHL numbers are also very similar to Shinkaruks and he also has just over a full season worth of NHL games under his belt.

Edited by Junkyard Dog
  • Upvote 2

This trade isn't bad when you think about it.

Shink wouldn't of gotten a chance with Baertschi and Daniel in the top 6.

Granlund will replace McCann next year. Granlund has way more experience, similar numbers as a center, has produced at the NHL level and went pro as a teen in Finlands top league.

• Upvote 2

Just now, HerrDrFunk said:

If he tears it up I will gladly eat my words! However, this trade makes no damn sense to me at the moment and just destroyed any faith I have in Benning.

It was a weird trade for sure (like if we were going to trade Shink why not try to get a D prospect in return), but it's not as bad as people are making it out to be.

I think Granlund will do well.