The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Markus Granlund | #60 | C/W

Johnny Torts

16 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

I'm really starting to warm up to Granlund. He will be pretty useful for us over the next 3 years, especially if he can keep improving. Right now, he can step into our lineup and provide some stability. Next year he can replace McCann when he goes to the AHL. Later, he can hopefully make the adjustment to LW.

If Granlund is here to let McCann go down to the A (which I believe to be the why of this trade too)?  Then who does JB bring in at the TDL to replace Virtanen's role, so JV can go down too?

On February 22, 2016 at 2:37 PM, Jägermeister said:

I give it 2 weeks before everyone hating on the trade starts gushing over him.

I think most fans r just mad we gave up Shink. I'm sure Granlund we be great for us it just hurts still the wound will be bleeding till we see granlund play n only then will the healing begin haha.

15 minutes ago, Alflives said:

If Granlund is here to let McCann go down to the A (which I believe to be the why of this trade too)?  Then who does JB bring in at the TDL to replace Virtanen's role, so JV can go down too?

Neither can go to the A.

23 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I was originally for having Virtanen in Utica to start next year, but he has been improving a lot recently. It wouldn't be a bad move to send him down, but I don't think it's completely necessary either. In terms of who could replace him, I think it would be Gaunce:

Sedin - Sedin - Sutter

Baertschi - Horvat - Hansen

Burrows - Granlund - Etem

Gaunce - Zalewksi - Dorsett

Grenier

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Warhippy said:

He's proven as much as Granlund has at the NHL level with better point totals

Disregard what you want, but calling him garbage is childish and if he were traded for you'd be rooting for him too.

Drouin is a 3rd overall in the first round. Granlund is a 2nd round pick, 40 something overall.

I haven't even included the fact that Drouin is seen as a serious headcase that Yzerman is not dealing well with. People have this hard-on for former first round picks.

Drouin's attitude makes him GARBAGE. I wouldn't trade for him using Weber. He seems like a locker room cancer.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Yes the can, just as soon as their Junior clubs are done.  McCann goes to Utica for certain, and JV goes too.  Utica should, fingers crossed, make the playoffs.

No they can't.  Only if they go from their Junior club to the AHL but they are in the NHL and not in Juniors so it's not an option.  They would need to be sent back to their Junior club first.

7 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Drouin is a 3rd overall in the first round. Granlund is a 2nd round pick, 40 something overall.

I haven't even included the fact that Drouin is seen as a serious headcase that Yzerman is not dealing well with. People have this hard-on for former first round picks.

Drouin's attitude makes him GARBAGE. I wouldn't trade for him using Weber. He seems like a locker room cancer.

see that I will accede too my man, but I can't accept him being garbage based on his play, points or games played.

he needs to smarten the hell up.  I'd still accept him on the team just because we need that potential skill

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Yes the can, just as soon as their Junior clubs are done.  McCann goes to Utica for certain, and JV goes too.  Utica should, fingers crossed, make the playoffs.

You made no mention of that in your post. You simply said after the TDL. 

5 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

see that I will accede too my man, but I can't accept him being garbage based on his play, points or games played.

he needs to smarten the hell up.  I'd still accept him on the team just because we need that potential skill

Potential skill is meaningless without the attitude behind it.

Would you want a player like Alexandre Daigle or do you want a player like Tarasenko?

Both had very high raw potential, yet Tarasenko is a very good teammate and his potential came through - and more.

In hindsight, picking Drouin was a mistake, especially given how high the pick was. Tampa can't trade him for junk, but his market value is not sitting too high, given how much time they've put into him.

He has himself to blame.

1 hour ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

I was originally for having Virtanen in Utica to start next year, but he has been improving a lot recently. It wouldn't be a bad move to send him down, but I don't think it's completely necessary either. In terms of who could replace him, I think it would be Gaunce:

Sedin - Sedin - Sutter

Baertschi - Horvat - Hansen

Burrows - Granlund - Etem

Gaunce - Zalewksi - Dorsett

Grenier

that is pretty much exactly how I envision the lineup next year,

7 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Potential skill is meaningless without the attitude behind it.

Would you want a player like Alexandre Daigle or do you want a player like Tarasenko?

Both had very high raw potential, yet Tarasenko is a very good teammate and his potential came through - and more.

In hindsight, picking Drouin was a mistake, especially given how high the pick was. Tampa can't trade him for junk, but his market value is not sitting too high, given how much time they've put into him.

He has himself to blame.

If the price was right I'd still take him, even if nothing other than to maximize his value in another trade down the road

14 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

If the price was right I'd still take him, even if nothing other than to maximize his value in another trade down the road

Depends on what the price is, but Drouin is not worth any of our valuable players. This includes the Sedins, Tanev or even Hamhuis. Definitely not Horvat. All these players possess character that Drouin, so far, has not shown.

I'd even hesitate to part with a 1st rounder on Drouin. All these question marks about his attitude are not appealing whatsoever.

Understandably, Yzerman would want something of value back. He might not get it.

Seriously, you're that hyped up over a 1st rounder that put 30 pts in his first season, but feels he's entitled to play in the NHL? He did not report to the AHL and he's demanding a trade.

A trade, so far, has not happened. Therefore, Drouin is just wasting his time now.

Edited by Dazzle

I'm really sad to see Hunter go. It was exciting watching him tear up the AHL, and refreshing to see a prospect who for once looked genuinely excited to come to Vancouver.

I was in Benning ' camp before this, but my faith in him is starting to come into question.

THAT BEING SAID, THE TRADE IS DONE. There's nothing we can do about it. I'm excited to see what Granlund can do. Unfortunately he's going to spend the rest of his career here being compared to Shinkaruk, for better or worse.

I think pressure came down from Aquilini because he doesn't have the patience for a real rebuild.  A real rebuild  would cost Aquilini money too much money.  No playoffs cut into Canucks profit margins.  It's all about money folks.  It's the same reason you'll never see Toronto really embrace a true rebuild.  They simply can't afford one.  So all this talk about building for the future is a crock.  Sure Hunter was a couple years away, but isn't that the point?  But we'd rather trade our future stars for... let's face it, a career minor leaguer.  A player who couldn't make the team as a 22 year old on a bad team.  Hunter just turned 21 and is well on his way to scoring 30 plus goals.  Sure he's a late bloomer. So was Kesler so was Naslund. So was Bertuzzi. Hell so were the Sedins! Those players had something special even if it didn't "translate to the nhl" when they were young, they still possessed the raw talent. And it was clear to see.  Hunter has that same talent. That "it" factor that Granlund simply doesn't have.   Hunter will bite us in the butt like Naslund beat on the Penguins.  This one is going to haunt us.

I love this trade, we're getting a versatile middle six forward with that Finn grit for an AHL goal scorer from the Gillis era who'll .likely never transition his game to the next level. And really they're only a year apart in age yet Granlund is miles ahead in his development. Compare Granlund's first year in the AHL with Shinkaruk's; there is quite a contrast in favor of Granlund. What's not to like?

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

when a risk fails you put your team in a hole, because in the future this is a divisional rival and a team that you will meet in the playoffs. So seeing Hunter score on us will be a new experience, now we can feel what leaf fans went through. Remember Seguin.

Yeah, between Hunter and Bo Sang filling our net with goals we're sure to be shell shocked and sunburned around here!

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, Salmonberries said:

I love this trade, we're getting a versatile middle six forward with that Finn grit for an AHL goal scorer from the Gillis era who'll .likely never transition his game to the next level. And really they're only a year apart in age yet Granlund is miles ahead in his development. Compare Granlund's first year in the AHL with Shinkaruk's; there is quite a contrast in favor of Granlund. What's not to like?

I wouldn't go so far as saying shink will likely never make it to the NHL.  what can be said for certain is that he didn't fit the model and wasn't going to be able to shape his game as such in time to make an impact when the canucks need him.