The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Markus Granlund | #60 | C/W

Johnny Torts

31 minutes ago, Yotes said:

I will post this in the Baertschi thread also.

Granlund has really impressed me, hopefully he is similar to his brother and just took a bit longer to find his game.

My main reason for the post is should or have there been any talks about giving Granny a contract extension? Would it be wise to try and lock him up now before he has a 20-25g year and possibly costs us more?

I wanna lock him up asap. I feel like there's nowhere for him to go but up, and even if he stagnates he'll be tradeable so long as the contact's cheap. Maybe $2 million?

On 10/1/2017 at 0:35 PM, Cramarossa said:

I wanna lock him up asap. I feel like there's nowhere for him to go but up, and even if he stagnates he'll be tradeable so long as the contact's cheap. Maybe $2 million?

judging by the salary cap I would have to think he is going to cost more, unless its a short contract to take him to UFA. Would love a burrow type deal when he signed 4yr for 8m. But now that would have to be inflated...4yrs 3m per?

19 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Granlund has a lot more skill, offensive ability, and creativity than Higgins ever did.

I said he fits in to a good lineup like Higgins did, not comparing them completely. he's top six on a crappy team or bottom six/trade bait on a good team

16 minutes ago, Yotes said:

judging by the salary cap I would have to think he is going to cost more, unless its a short contract to take him to UFA. Would love a burrow type deal when he signed 4yr for 8m. But now that would have to be inflated...4yrs 3m per?

I'd pay the man $3 mil easily if he keeps this up.

Just now, Cramarossa said:

I'd pay the man $3 mil easily if he keeps this up.

Ya so would I, wonder if his agent is banking on a solid year and wanting to wait to have negotiations. Hopefully granny is appreciative of the Canucks and is willing to sign a deal sooner as I feel like he will be of great use to our team.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

In his third year in the league; this was Granlund's first full season.

Well in his second NHL season he scored 22 goals and had 38 points in just 61 games. I think Granlund projects to match those numbers over 82 games, Higgins did it in 61. I like Granlund but that doesn't mean you need to diminish Higgins.

Edit: Just to point out Higgins scored 23 goals in his first season, and last season was Granlund's second season. He played 47 games in 2015/2016,  you can't not count that.

Edited by The Ressurection

5 hours ago, The Ressurection said:

Well in his second NHL season he scored 22 goals and had 38 points in just 61 games. I think Granlund projects to match those numbers over 82 games, Higgins did it in 61. I like Granlund but that doesn't mean you need to diminish Higgins.

Edit: Just to point out Higgins scored 23 goals in his first season, and last season was Granlund's second season. He played 47 games in 2015/2016,  you can't not count that.

Not diminishing Higgins, just saying that Granlund has more offensive upside.  Both are well-rounded players, but Granlund has better vision and hockey sense.

11 hours ago, Yotes said:

Burrows had NTC clause as far as remember.... There was a reason, why we signed these players to cheap contacts.

But other than that yes agree..... about 2.5-3 per year for 4

Edited by spook007

7 hours ago, Blömqvist said:

Who scores more points this year, Granlund or Baertschi?

Last season:

Granlund  69GP // 19G + 13A // 32P

Baertschi  68GP // 18G + 17A // 35P

I think it will be very dependant on their deployment. That being said I think because of Green's history with Baertschi, Baertschi will be placed in more offensive situations so I will go with Baertschi scoring more points this year.

I think Granlund will be used more in all situations and become one of our main PKing forwards.

• Upvote 1

On 10/3/2017 at 0:27 PM, The Ressurection said:

I didn't spin any numbers. I don't even know what your numbers are for, team goals in a season or something?

Average goals for an NHL team in a given season. It's like saying John Ogrodnick, who scored 55 goals and 105 points in 1984-85 was a better player than any player currently in the NHL. Context tells you that the average team scored 311 goals that year, showing that offense was just generally higher back then. 2005-06 is just a more subtle version of 1984-85 in this case.