The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Friend saw this at Open Practice

87Crosby

5 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

So let's go back to 2011 then, shall we?

I don't know...I'm going to take Jim's word over yours.  I stand by all over the map.

We we have changed management, coaches, goalies, and depth players. What is the only constant in all our recent playoff meltdowns?

Injuries?  Having half our line up out at any given time?  Forgot that part.

Officiating....which can change momentum in a game either for or against a team.

You're pinpointing this in search of "something".  It's "a lot of things" that factor in.

I really wish people would quit blaming officiating especially. Injuries happen to every team and good coaches have players ready and confident to step up when they do.

The 2011 team choked. Best to just admit it rather than e cause it with bs excuses.

1 minute ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I really wish people would quit blaming officiating especially. Injuries happen to every team and good coaches have players ready and confident to step up when they do.

The 2011 team choked. Best to just admit it rather than e cause it with bs excuses.

Get over the hurt and one day you'll recognize how tough a feat it is.

This is not a video game. 

Yes, it got away from them.  We're talking about this year....let's get back to that?

The team will not tank.

Like the fact the young players are given more ice time...not giving Markstrom more games is just stupid.

Bottom line...History has shown Miller will not bring a team the Holy Grail...even when the team is good.

Miller has proven this time and time again...therefore, it is insanity that is driving the bus here or stupidity or stubbornness...whatever it is, it's not good.

The team will not make the playoffs and they will not be tanking in order to do it.

They're simply not a good team...

...but there is an opportunity to get better in a hurry next year with cap space and a potential top 5 pick. They key is trading Hamhuis for a 1st round pick and others for 2nds, then possibly trading up to get another top 1st pick.

Getting both Finns could be a possibility. Hamhuis will then resign next year at a lower cap hit.

A top 5 without tanking is more reality then not...but knowing the Canucks, they will finish 10th.

14 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Get over the hurt and one day you'll recognize how tough a feat it is.

This is not a video game. 

Yes, it got away from them.  We're talking about this year....let's get back to that?

I never said it wasn't tough at all. And i am totally over it tbh. Please don't resort to the video game insult towards me. If you truly believe that my knowledge of the game comes from or is limited to video games then just don't respond to me. I understand you don't agree but just because you are a mod doesn't give you the right to insult others.

I was at open practice with my wife and 1.5 year old. We got seats right at railing where the players come out and my boy threw his soother down on the ground to the players when they were coming out and Rollie Mellanson picked it up and gave it to us. He said, "I could use it for some of my guys" with a smile.

Bo stayed around longer than anyone and signed autographs. He signed my 53 millionaires jersey. Def seems like future captain from how he conduct himself.

Probably had more fun yesterday than most games I've been to.

2 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

You are comparing apples to oranges though. Missing the playoffs for s year or two now does not mean we will miss for 10 years. 

And actually, failure is a very important part of learning to be successful. If you have the character and the wil to overcome it. THAT is what we should be wanting our young players to be learning through all of this. Short term pain for long term gain.

Missibg the playoffs and losing games is not going to destroy our young players. Frankly, if it does they are and never were going to be true NHL quality players anyway. Losing comes with the territory and you need to learn to overcome. Our kids will be fine. Management and impatient fans are the only ones who need to win now at the expense of building a cup quality team.

I think you got the failure part all wrong. when I played div1 Baseball, Our coach never once said  lets tank this season cuz there is a lefty out of some random high school who would put us over the top for next year. Instead he told us to go ou there and play like our Mom and Dads were watching who not only invested a lot of there time since I was 6, but when I was 13 put me in a special school based around baseball and preparing you for normal school but also for the sats etc.  And helping you get the most out of the game. Between that and when I played for a team out of white rock, known for its mostly American competition, and scouts, plus special trainers, Grade 11 and 12 cost them over 100 grand, to go to a tournament in say Seattle ended cosrting a fortune back in the late 90s are dollar was worth like 50 cents lol. that's not even counting the academy I went to when I was 13. it was expensive, but my parents made it work. just so I could follow a dream, in which 2 years in I blew my arm and got tommy jon surgery. It went wrong suffered nerve damage and my pitching days were over along with my free ride

Bottom line we sucked that year and we finished last. Sorry but how dare you say its ok to fail cuz you learn something. That maybe true as long as you tried ur best and gave it al you got, then ya failure taught you character and how crappy if feels to lose. To do it on purpose teaches you only one thing that its ok to not go out and bleed for ut team as they bleed for you Im willing to bet that you have never played a sport at a high level in your life Man I sure hope you and others don't teach your Kids that frame of mind.

OH and one more thong remember Buffalo last year all that tanking all the McDavid sweaters karma is a Bitch Eichal was raised right if anyone had a right to demand a trade it was him. But he was all class from the srart  You know the owner was on a local radio station and rumor was he started crying when the lost. So if the nucks fail and we get ur top pick you think will be so important. I think we either land druoin or nuke or honka rtoday, if   we end up failing  I hope we go down fighting, not like a bunch of parasites

cheeres  GO CANUCKS GO

2 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I never said it wasn't tough at all. And i am totally over it tbh. Please don't resort to the video game insult towards me. If you truly believe that my knowledge of the game comes from or is limited to video games then just don't respond to me. I understand you don't agree but just because you are a mod doesn't give you the right to insult others.

I didn't insult you.  But if I'm spouting off and our comments are BS excuses then I feel it's ok to also assess YOUR opinion, which I feel is comparable to someone making deals in a video game vs reflecting what it really entails.  Or in projecting that a high pick = a team turnaround.  If only it was that easy. 

In a video game you can more easily acquire/get rid of players than in the real deal, which was my point.  In the NHL, GM's and staff are constantly working behind the scenes and on the phones, but it's about getting what you want and not getting fleeced.  Not you work the controls and you win .... this is complex and involves human beings who don't simply perform based on their rating.  They're subject to things that can pull them down at times and so it's an unknown.

And I do think you are showing an attitude toward the players/vets like it's easier than it is and I don't accept your assessment that aren't trying/don't care.  How do you know?  They aren't robots...they've been off, sure but I tend to think they are invested and probably it's frustration more than it is a lack of desire to win that we're seeing.

Anyhow, we're miles apart and that's ok.  Just don't speak so matter of fact like you have it figured out and the rest of us, including experienced, professional GM's don't.  That's a little silly. 

Tank to .... pick higher.  And get someone who may work out.  Or may not.  There is no tank to win deal that guarantees success.  It may improve the odds, just as making the playoffs gives anyone a crack at it.  Our little team that could built momentum....that also factors in a huge way to confidence, success, etc.  Start second guessing and squeezing the stick, not so much.

So many things that you can't dumb it down to "do this and we'll win".  Play hard and you give yourself a chance to.  I think we both at least agree on that part.

Archived