The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why would YOU bother to follow this team for the balance of the year?

sam drucker

Everyone must have some kind of thought after the Deadline fiasco, and the next 20 games that will prove ZERO for this club moving forward.

The only way I am watching is if the vets on this team sit.  Let the new regime of (cough) young (cough) talent take the reigns and hope for a top 5 pick.

No need to let the deadwood play, see Burrows and the Sedin's, backlash expected, but really why? only a 2 year, closing,  window for those

fellas. 

Play Miller only on the 2nd night of BTB's.

I would also include Dorsett, Vrbata, Vey is on thin ice, as well as half of the D corps

Wish for the NFL style of just cut 'em, see Burrows.

I don't get the reasoning.  Even if the deadline was a success, we wouldn't see any of the returns until years later, if they pan out.

Having the vets sit isn't exactly helpful either.  You throw kids into the fire pit and they don't learn anything.  This is exactly why Edmonton has failed over these years.  And it's why TO will fail too.  We can criticize that the process is taking too long, but what we're doing is how it should be done.

While my first reply is exactly what @Shift-4 posted, my second will be more positive.

So yesterday I went to the Jets vs. Panthers game. I fully expected them to lose, but as a fan, I still look for the positive. The positives from last night's game was that Buff, Scheifele, and Ehlers played big minutes (all over 20 minutes each). To see the youth take steps in the right direction was a good thing. While they lost, which again was expected (in part due to Pavelec), the silver lining to the loss is that the young guys see what they need to work on to ensure they play tighter in the last period. The fans also get the added bonus of seeing the Jets' odds of drafting in the top 5 increase. So it was really a win-win. The youth got experience and played very well, while the important core players (Buff and Wheeler) played incredibly well.

If you're a true fan of the Canucks, you watch to see where the team is headed in the future. Watch the game closer. While some players (Bo, Virt, Granlund, Hutton, Baer) may not always chip in offensively, study the rest of their game. Are they making improvements? Are they creating more chances offensively than they were 10 games ago? Are they making crisp passes. How is their positional play? That all matters.

That's why you watch. Not because they decided to keep Hammer and most likely re-sign him. And certainly not because they couldn't move a dead "asset" in Vrbata.

2 minutes ago, Stinkburger said:

Because I'm from BC,

CFL sucks.

The people here only have the Riders to take their cousins on dates.  I'm convinced Saskatchewan is in fact.......hell.

I'm from BC as well. I've lived in Saskatchewan since 2006. It's better than it was then.

Now, it's no Vancity, but it does have its perks. Although having to watch Canucks games on SNW is absolute crap. You have to admit, the skies are pretty beautiful once you get on the open roads.

EDIT: CFL does suck. I think it peaked a few years ago.

Besides, if I can endure all this suffering so far, this remaining season is nothing.

If this rebuild we're in goes sideways though or they try to short-circuit it like TO did via silly trades, then there will be an amplification of divestment imho.  I'm crossing figures that in a few years we'll be operating much like our elite american counterparts, instead of our shoddily-run canadian peers. 

15 minutes ago, sam drucker said:

Everyone must have some kind of thought after the Deadline fiasco, and the next 20 games that will prove ZERO for this club moving forward.

The only way I am watching is if the vets on this team sit.  Let the new regime of (cough) young (cough) talent take the reigns and hope for a top 5 pick.

No need to let the deadwood play, see Burrows and the Sedin's, backlash expected, but really why? only a 2 year, closing,  window for those

fellas. 

Play Miller only on the 2nd night of BTB's.

I would also include Dorsett, Vrbata, Vey is on thin ice, as well as half of the D corps

Wish for the NFL style of just cut 'em, see Burrows.

So you don't think it is worth watching and encouraging these young guys? Are you forgetting that is what hockey is all about for the grass root fans and places like Utica.

When I read stuff like this I wonder what people would have to whine about if the owners just upped and sold the Canucks to Seattle or somewhere. We just don't seem to appreciate what we have here just because we don't have a Cup. It makes me think the whiners don't actually watch the games because they are not really interested in the "game"

Because the Canucks are my team and I will follow them regardless of outcome.  I will also guarantee to everyone here that will be delusional at times about how good or bad we are.  I will love most players, hate some, and the same for coaches management.  I don't care who thinks I am a real fan or not.  I dislike Willy D and I think Benning has made more suspect moves than good ones, but I still LOVE my team.  I loved them when Lapierre was here, but I hate that little smirk faced puke.  I hated Matt Cooke when he was here, but I still loved the team.  I have no say in that.  It's intrinsic.  I will follow the Canucks into HELL!!!!

This team is my soap opera. It's an escape from every day life. I love watching our prospects develop. I love the drama of a hockey game. Regardless of where we are in the standings, I look forward to every game. I actually want them to lose this year, which is something new for me. But when you've been a fan since 1994, you tend to see the bigger picture. So that is why I continue to follow this team.

Archived