The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why would YOU bother to follow this team for the balance of the year?

sam drucker

We have been ripping the Oilers and Leafs for years but you can't deny how loyal their fans are. It's disgusting for me to see so many fans walk out when the team is in a short rebuild. We have a large portion of fans who aren't willing to grind it out with the team when they are down. If they aren't willing to be here for the low seasons then they don't deserve to celebrate the success with the team either. 

I will follow the Canucks because they are still 'my team'.....who is your team because it is apparent that you are not a loyal Canuck fan?

I want to see how the young players handle themselves as well as the vets. I am really looking forward to the draft and am happy to see the young players getting a chance to play so that Benning can assess where they are in their development.

I am happy that Benning waived some of the vets to make room. it is refreshing to see a Canuck GM come right out and say that the team will probably miss the playoffs. Personally I think that decision should have been done earlier because we would be in line for a really higher draft pick than we will probably get now.

And I am thankful that I do not have to endure another season of the Canucks getting bounced 4 straight by LA. There are some steps that need to be taken before this team will be a  serious contender and it looks like Benning and Linden are committed to doing that. The upcoming draft is a good starting point and it is good that we have JB at the Canucks draft table this year.

The Sedins' are still performing as our best players and you need a team guy like Burrows to mentor the young forwards. How you can badmouth these guys and call yourself a fan is inexcusable.

5 hours ago, VIC_CITY said:

This team is my soap opera. It's an escape from every day life. I love watching our prospects develop. I love the drama of a hockey game. Regardless of where we are in the standings, I look forward to every game. I actually want them to lose this year, which is something new for me. But when you've been a fan since 1994, you tend to see the bigger picture. So that is why I continue to follow this team.

Beautifully put.   Just what a lot of us feel. 

Just now, Realtor Rod said:

1000 posts before thread start. There are lots of plug-ins for this type of board to implement that.

Stupid idea. Topic jas been beaten to death, never going to happen. 

As for the team, still keeping a close eye o  everything, but its hard to want to spend so much time on such a depressing situation, it sucks to watch this shell of a once great team carry on the downward trend, my excitement will return when our next captain has been named. 

Until then, i shall sit, watch, and be frustrated and sad..

I will continue to follow the team that I've cheered for, for the better 2.5 decades but.......

I really like to see all the empty seats and imagine how Aqualoser is hating it. 

I also really enjoy watching coach twitch have seizure every time the opposition scores 

and I also like when the camera pans to our so called gm and he looks miserable. 

But most of all I like  watching the the sedin Magic (since we will only see it for a few more years)and the way the "kids" are developing. 

6 hours ago, Jeaves said:

I'll watch because I'm a Canucks fan. We've been too spoiled with good teams in recent history. We are going through a rough patch, I'd like to see the Canucks stay in Vancouver. Everyone wants the Aquilini's to sell the franchise, what makes you think another owner would want to keep it in this overpriced city with $&!#ty fans?

Not a good enough reason? Want to $&!# on me for that?

Well in fairness where would they move the team too? Atlanta?

I'm sure the fact that their wallets keep getting bigger would be enough for them to keep the team in Vancouver. It's also funny how when someone isn't happy with the Canucks the majority of responses are "I've been a fan for 40 years blah blah blah suck it up" seem like the only qualification to be a "fan" is to have watched the team since the 70's.

Fans should voice their displeasure with the team. People work long hard hours to be able to afford going to games and buying merchandise. 

I don't even know what "spoiled by a winning team" even means.  Sounds like you should expect your team to lose.

23 minutes ago, combover said:

I will continue to follow the team that I've cheered for, for the better 2.5 decades but.......

I really like to see all the empty seats and imagine how Aqualoser is hating it. 

I also really enjoy watching coach twitch have seizure every time the opposition scores 

and I also like when the camera pans to our so called gm and he looks miserable. 

But most of all I like  watching the the sedin Magic (since we will only see it for a few more years)and the way the "kids" are developing. 

I have literally never seen you post a single positive thing about this team.  You are the worst kind of fan, imo.  

True Canuck fans follow this team through thick and thin.  They may buy less tickets to live games but  regardless a true fan will still follow their team.   TBH, i don't earn the kind of money to be able to afford to see live games... I have to be a TV and internet fan.....

I am super keen to see where our young talents gets to .  I like our younger core and they have tons of potential.

We are just a team in transition. 

10 minutes ago, stawns said:

I have literally never seen you post a single positive thing about this team.  You are the worst kind of fan, imo.  

Untrue.

But it all went sideways when torts came in and it's been downhill ever since.

i don't blindly follow so if that makes me a bad fan I guess so.oh and I'm older and jaded 

a glass half empty type.

But ill try to be more positive. 

I really like the cheaper ticket prices. How's  that.

5 minutes ago, jejejester said:

Well in fairness where would they move the team too? Atlanta?

I'm sure the fact that their wallets keep getting bigger would be enough for them to keep the team in Vancouver. It's also funny how when someone isn't happy with the Canucks the majority of responses are "I've been a fan for 40 years blah blah blah suck it up" seem like the only qualification to be a "fan" is to have watched the team since the 70's.

Fans should voice their displeasure with the team. People work long hard hours to be able to afford going to games and buying merchandise. 

I don't even know what "spoiled by a winning team" even means.  Sounds like you should expect your team to lose.

Sounds like you forgot about 29 other teams competing for the cup. They could go to Quebec city, Las Vegas, sure Atlanta too, Seattle isn't far, they could host a team. I haven't been a fan for 40 years. I do remember the good times, I know we all want to be there. Don't you think TL and JB do to? Sutter was injured all year, Hammer took a puck to the face, we have a hole bunch of youth inserted into the lineup, do you really expect to make the playoffs every single year, especially when we are injection players with less than a hundred games?

Do you think this is like EA 2016 where you can make just about any trade happen? No. There are restrictions man, come on. This is a terrible group of fans, face it. You are one of them. Please do stop buying tickets and merchandise. Us homers will go to the game and keep it afloat on the off years so you can come back during the bandwagon years.

9 minutes ago, combover said:

Untrue.

But it all went sideways when torts came in and it's been downhill ever since.

i don't blindly follow so if that makes me a bad fan I guess so.oh and I'm older and jaded 

a glass half empty type.

But ill try to be more positive. 

I really like the cheaper ticket prices. How's  that.

Sold

45 minutes ago, Jeaves said:

Sounds like you forgot about 29 other teams competing for the cup. They could go to Quebec city, Las Vegas, sure Atlanta too, Seattle isn't far, they could host a team. I haven't been a fan for 40 years. I do remember the good times, I know we all want to be there. Don't you think TL and JB do to? Sutter was injured all year, Hammer took a puck to the face, we have a hole bunch of youth inserted into the lineup, do you really expect to make the playoffs every single year, especially when we are injection players with less than a hundred games?

Do you think this is like EA 2016 where you can make just about any trade happen? No. There are restrictions man, come on. This is a terrible group of fans, face it. You are one of them. Please do stop buying tickets and merchandise. Us homers will go to the game and keep it afloat on the off years so you can come back during the bandwagon years.

I'm a terrible fan  because I called out people for being total Aholes because some people voiced their opinion. Seems like the whole point of my post went over your head. Vancouver actually has some of the best fans in the NHL. We have the 6th highest valued team in the NHL. The highest valued Non original 6 team. It's obvious the Canucks have been blessed with the support of their fans. Ownership has done an amazing job growing the brand. That doesn't mean that fans don't have the right to complain. You can't build a 745 million dollar entertainment business without the cash of fans. 

But it seems the most important thing here is to attack other fans because of their opinion and complain about "bad fans."  

Don't forget saying "this is a terrible group of fans, face it." Is also calling yourself a terrible fan, unless in fact you are not indeed a fan 

Right from the start of the season, nearly everyone figured this season would be a development year and if we make the playoffs, great. But don't expect it.

Even through all the injuries, isn't that EXACTLY what's happened?

Hutton, Horvat, Baertschi, Virtanen, McCann are all growing as players and guys like Etem and Granlund who have come in since are finding their place.

That's why I watched this season at the start and that's why I watch it now. There's a nice future brewing. Sure, some draft picks for expiring players would've been nice but what's a 2nd or 3rd round pick going to get? A player we MIGHT see by like 2019 or later. That has ZERO bearing on this season or in the near future.

Still can't figure out why people are giving up on the team over draft picks.

You wanted younger guys, you got younger guys.

You wanted older guys moved out, you got older guys moved out.

The team is doing well when you consider all its had to endure this season. If you hate what it's become so much, get off the message boards and stop watching.

There's just no reason to  be excited, either now or in the near future. At best, we have a prospect pool full of "NHL calibre players". Other teams have all star and franchise calibre players in their youth movement. You guys think we are in a tough time this year? At least we were contending for a playoff spot this year. Once the Sedins retire, and some of the the other teams' higher draft pick develop, we'll be lucky to sniff a wild card playoffs spot.

I love the canucks, and they will always be my team.... But I live out of province, and don t want to pay $30 / month to watch the team get their butts kicked by the maple leafs or flames night in and night out.  

Archived