The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why would YOU bother to follow this team for the balance of the year?

sam drucker

5 hours ago, Darius71 said:

Just wondering - are you a moderator here? Or are you auditioning to be one?  Ive noticed you telling a lot of people what to do in these forums.   That leads me to conclude that you either think the moderators cant do their job (and hence you need to be the self imposed forum police), or  you think you are a forum representative who speaks in lieu of the administration? 

You did the same thing the other day.  You ragged on a guy (in a condescending manner as if you are actually important) for posting an article, and for not quoting it internally, then you lectured him on starting a thread - a thread that dozens of members participated in (just like they are participating in this one).    

Do you know what I get a kick out of? I get a kick out of when people don't respond to anything at all related to the topic and only respond to me. All the while, I provided something helpful to the OP - and completely on topic with any number of replies in two threads - that would give him the answer he's looking for.

But that's cool, you keep talking to me instead of about whatever the thread is about. The same thread where others have been far less helpful, like the first 5 replies. 

Because they are my favorite team and they kinda emulate my life. Lots of sluggin along with just a few beautiful moments scattered in there to really make you appreciate the good times. Beer and hockey goes together well too..........

It's gotta get worse before it will get better . At least we have youth now an future is brighter with management team in place now, even though JB may have fumbled the ball a bit on TDL day he is still on a mission and expect a lot out of him in June. 

Its what i do, its never been about winning or losing, i like hockey and the Canucks are "My Team."

Its always been like that, i mean i like to see the wins, but, if it takes winning to make me care then i need to look in the mirror. 

Just like in my life, no matter what happens, when the whinning and shouting are done you just get back at doing what you do no better off for it. 

Theres something wonderful about it, when you realise, no matter what its all going to be ok. 

7 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

Do you know what I get a kick out of? I get a kick out of when people don't respond to anything at all related to the topic and only respond to me. All the while, I provided something helpful to the OP - and completely on topic with any number of replies in two threads - that would give him the answer he's looking for.

But that's cool, you keep talking to me instead of about whatever the thread is about. The same thread where others have been far less helpful, like the first 5 replies. 

Translation : I am not a moderator, nor do i have any authority here.  

Ok....now that we have established that..... your "resident policeman" lectures can be interpreted as having the same weight as hot air....

Carry on...Maybe someone you talk down to will find it helpful.....

10 hours ago, Monty said:

If you're a true fan of the Canucks, you watch to see where the team is headed in the future. Watch the game closer. While some players (Bo, Virt, Granlund, Hutton, Baer) may not always chip in offensively, study the rest of their game. Are they making improvements? Are they creating more chances offensively than they were 10 games ago? Are they making crisp passes. How is their positional play? That all matters.

That's why you watch. Not because they decided to keep Hammer and most likely re-sign him. And certainly not because they couldn't move a dead "asset" in Vrbata.

Basically this. I was hopeful of our team coming together a bit better this year, but ridiculous injuries (mind you, we aren't even close to the most man games lost in the league) and snakebites unforseen have us right where we are.

I find entertainment value in Miller, and see a strong future in Marky. It's no surprise that the kids aren't perfect, but Horvat has had a strong sophomore year, and right off the top of my head I'd say Baer is a candidate for most improved. He's learned that his speed can open up the NHL ice which allows him to fire off his above average shot. If there's one thing I'd like to see from him by next September it's much improved leg strength so he doesn't get blown off the puck so easily. 

Hutton has been the biggest surprise to the D corps. Armchair scouts, hell, even pro scouts can say whatever they like about how solid he was in the NCAA the last few years, but that doesn't mean jack when you make the jump to the NHL. He made it look easy when literally everybody knows it isn't. Watching him learn and grow defensively will be great over the next few years.

Virtanen and McCann have been fun to watch, but should have been in the AHL this year. Yeah, I know, it wasn't possible. I still maintain that the NHL was a better choice than juniors, but McCann didn't really fit in on the 4th line up here. At least he got to see what kind of work it takes to play a full NHL season. My bet is 1 of them will be in Utica next year, the one who strengthens the least by next training camp. I'm hoping that the gym time/days off for McCann will pay off down the stretch, and the payoff will be more ice time for the duration. He obviously still needs to strengthen up, but when I was his age a few months of serious gym time had great results, and I wasn't doing the cardio he is. I don't tempered and careful expectations, but I hope he can get something going beyond 4th line minutes down the stretch. If 4th it is, then offensive zone 4th.

More or less the reasons I'll tune in.

That, and to see what else, if anything, trickles out regarding Aquilini. There are so many positives he brings to the table. Utica, cap $, whatever other $, etcetera etcetera etcetera. I don't like the latest rumours though, and hate our local sports media more than I hate Messier and Keenan. An owner is inherently allowed to have his fingers in the pot. After all, he's the owner. He should also know when to stay the  out the way and let the people he hired do what it is he hired them for. 

10 hours ago, Jeaves said:

I'll watch because I'm a Canucks fan. We've been too spoiled with good teams in recent history. We are going through a rough patch, I'd like to see the Canucks stay in Vancouver. Everyone wants the Aquilini's to sell the franchise, what makes you think another owner would want to keep it in this overpriced city with $&!#ty fans?

Not a good enough reason? Want to $&!# on me for that?

do us a favor get the cup in the city .. your reason doesn't have logic.

1 minute ago, Adamth said:

do us a favor get the cup in the city .. your reason doesn't have logic.

Are asking me to bring a cup to the city? I am not sure I understand your logic. You can feel free to join the circle jerk of whiners here on CDC. Have you received a pamphlet?

3 hours ago, jejejester said:

I'm a terrible fan  because I called out people for being total Aholes because some people voiced their opinion. Seems like the whole point of my post went over your head. Vancouver actually has some of the best fans in the NHL. We have the 6th highest valued team in the NHL. The highest valued Non original 6 team. It's obvious the Canucks have been blessed with the support of their fans. Ownership has done an amazing job growing the brand. That doesn't mean that fans don't have the right to complain. You can't build a 745 million dollar entertainment business without the cash of fans. 

But it seems the most important thing here is to attack other fans because of their opinion and complain about "bad fans."  

Don't forget saying "this is a terrible group of fans, face it." Is also calling yourself a terrible fan, unless in fact you are not indeed a fan 

We've had a rough exit from the playoffs last year, and it wasn't any easier this season; considering our injuries. We got stuck in a bind at trade deadline. It was confusing to everyone. I am sure it's all part of a learning curve for management. On how to deal with other GM's as well as maybe the owner. We are going to be a completely different team next year. Just enjoy the games we have left and watch our youth grow!

Look at Toronto or Edmonton. I mean they have gone through some terrible years, and they aren't complaining nearly as much as people on here after a rough trade deadline. Get with it, look forward now! This off season it looks like we will have a lot of extra cap space. It's hard to lose even now, either the youth play really well and we get to watch them play some competitive hockey, or they wet the bed and we get a better draft pick! The future does look interesting... well to me at least.

10 minutes ago, PrinceGeorgeGoon said:

Since your bringing the cup to Van do you think you can help me with some yard work or maybe this pesky skin tag? 

Man, you know. I'd love to, but a few years ago I got into an... accident. Yeah, my back has never been the same. As for the skin tag, only if I can keep it. :mellow:

2 hours ago, elvis15 said:

I get a kick out of aelvis breaking the forum rules in order to inform other poster that they are breaking the forum rules. 

I love canucks hockey...ill watch ill cheer but damn im so disapointed in the team this year. I run a free pool for my friends on facebook and give out a trophy with there name on it and a jersey each season...But next year I think ill hand out a jersey ONLY IF  they make the playoffs....it is like rewarding a child for bad behavior hahaha But Ill watch....this is my home made trophy tho...Johnny Canuck....got the idea from the series The League.

johnnycanuck.jpg

We can't be very good and very bad forever, but we can be mediocre for a very long time. 

And I feel that people loves us to be mediocre for a very long time, people just want us to win enough games or scoring enough goals, and make the play offs only to get a 1st or 2nd round exit to make these people, who have no idea how we got the Sedins, satisfied. People like the OP is just aiming for mediocrity and has no real intention of us winning the ultimate goal, the Stanley cup

Enjoying watching the kids. Look forward to seeing Virtanen play every game. Really liking his development. Grateful we have a team here. Would suck to get Queeebecalingus lol!  - A little side note; -  Seeing a lot of people in this topic and on these boards with possible superiority complexes on their high horses looking down their noses at others that express their frustrations and show their passion their own way.   Needless. A lot of "theirs" there.  

13 hours ago, Monty said:

While my first reply is exactly what @Shift-4 posted, my second will be more positive.

So yesterday I went to the Jets vs. Panthers game. I fully expected them to lose, but as a fan, I still look for the positive. The positives from last night's game was that Buff, Scheifele, and Ehlers played big minutes (all over 20 minutes each). To see the youth take steps in the right direction was a good thing. While they lost, which again was expected (in part due to Pavelec), the silver lining to the loss is that the young guys see what they need to work on to ensure they play tighter in the last period. The fans also get the added bonus of seeing the Jets' odds of drafting in the top 5 increase. So it was really a win-win. The youth got experience and played very well, while the important core players (Buff and Wheeler) played incredibly well.

If you're a true fan of the Canucks, you watch to see where the team is headed in the future. Watch the game closer. While some players (Bo, Virt, Granlund, Hutton, Baer) may not always chip in offensively, study the rest of their game. Are they making improvements? Are they creating more chances offensively than they were 10 games ago? Are they making crisp passes. How is their positional play? That all matters.

That's why you watch. Not because they decided to keep Hammer and most likely re-sign him. And certainly not because they couldn't move a dead "asset" in Vrbata.

I'm not one of the many whiners on here that feels like they lost a son, when nothing happened on Monday.  My only major complaint is they should have upped Vrbatas value and put him with the Sedins at some point. Kind of like how Gillis and AV upped Hodgsons value, with lots of O zone starts.

42 minutes ago, messier's_elbow said:

My only major complaint is they should have upped Vrbatas value and put him with the Sedins at some point. Kind of like how Gillis and AV upped Hodgsons value, with lots of O zone starts.

good point ,it only goes to show the lack of communication or lack of experience between jb and willy. this whole team is green from linden ,benning, willy, and 2/3rds of the players.

Archived