The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Do the Canucks risk losing fans to the Whitecaps?

kingleysniper

The amount of hate / ignorance towards football in this thread is absolutely appalling.

Considering both teams are from our home city we should be able to fully support them equally as they are different sports, with different schedueles.

I am a bigger Canucks fan than I am Whitecaps but football is the worlds game, the beautiful game and it definitley deserves a lot more respect than it is getting here.

If Whitecaps get a football specific waterfront stadium like there has been talk of, watch out Canucks, once this happens the quality of players coming to the Whitecaps will increase, creating a better team, better environment, and cheaper prices than the Canucks.

I have been to twice as many Canucks games as I have Whitecaps and honestly I just cannot justify the price difference anymore.

On a side note; judging on many of your opinions of football I doubt most have even watched an El Clasico, North London Derby, or any real top level matches which warrant excitement, and quality of play, and moments  which at times exceeds the NHL playoffs 

Ok, the question posed is "Do the Canucks risk losing fans to the Whitecaps?"

The answer seems pretty simple.  In down, less entertaining times for any sports franchise, there will of course be people who decide to seek their entertainment elsewhere.  For some it will be some other sport or sports, as spectators or participants or both.  For others it will be music, or movies, or the theatre.  There are lots of choices.

It is obvious but different people have different levels of interest in different things. Some have little interest in other sports or other forms of entertainment and a high level of interest in the Canucks.  The the proportion of people in that group will be particularly high on a Canucks forum such as this one.  Those will never waver in interest, time or money.

For others, if the entertainment value sllips below their individual thresholds, they'll take their interest and money elsewhere.  Mostly they'll return in the future.

This is all obvious, presumably to everyone.  It also means that the answer to the question asked is also obvious.

Of course during down times there will be some fans who choose other forms of entertainment.  Some of those lost will turn to the Whitecaps.  Realistically, how could it be otherwise?

11 hours ago, Alflives said:

Soccer at the Premiership level is super exciting, and I'm pretty sure the top players aren't slim.  I prefer hockey, absolutely, but elite soccer is good too.  The local Whit caps is not even close to the Premiership.  It would be on the level of the ECHL, or even lower.  There are plenty of leagues that are better soccer than the Whitecaps league.  I think this domestic league gives soccer a bad name.  They play on friggin Astro turf!  The ball bounces all over.  In Vancouver it's hockey that is number one by a long ways.

MLS is weird in that is has some top flight players that could still be in the EPL, Bundesliga or Spain but go to the US for their latter years and earn good money and a nice lifestyle. Then you have the young guys and tier 2/3 players filling out the rest of the squad. 

25 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

MLS is weird in that is has some top flight players that could still be in the EPL, Bundesliga or Spain but go to the US for their latter years and earn good money and a nice lifestyle. Then you have the young guys and tier 2/3 players filling out the rest of the squad. 

That sounds a lot like the Euro hockey leagues.  

14 hours ago, kingleysniper said:

Long time follower of the Canucks, don't really post but as a consumer I was wondering with the Canucks brand taking a big hit this year, especially after the tdl is it possible we see a change in the city where the Whitecaps following increases immensely and people start choosing the Whitecaps over the Canucks. For me I've taken my kids to both Whitecaps and Canuck games, and tbh I've enjoyed the Whitecaps alot more.

You are not from Canada are u.

soccer will NEVER take over hockey in this town, or any other Canadian town either.  Never. 

1 hour ago, bolt said:

Whitecaps actually have a chance of winning a championship unlike the canucks who are not going anywhere as long as Acquilini is meddling.

Yeah.... not really....

1 hour ago, Gnarcore said:

China, man.  China's where the money's at.

18 minutes ago, PuckFather said:

Soccer? Not Canada's game sorry.

Sorry, but you're wrong.  It is the primary game for immigrant Canadians, and since we're an immigrant nation, you should take off your blinders and realize that football is growing way faster than gridiron or hockey in Canada.

Just now, Bob.Loblaw said:

Yeah.... not really....

China, man.  China's where the money's at.

Sorry, but you're wrong.  It is the primary game for immigrant Canadians, and since we're an immigrant nation, you should take off your blinders and realize that football is growing way faster than gridiron or hockey in Canada.

The First Nations seem to playing more and more soccer and it is a massive sport for our females who have a top 5 team in the world. It is growing quite fast and all the Canadian MLS teams see huge support.  

I loved the games I went to at Empire Field and most of the experience has switched to BC Place. Especially if you're near the Southsiders :D 

15 hours ago, luckylager said:

Hah! Good one!

Oh, you're serious..

And you're asking hockey fans in a hockey forum?

I think soccer players should play with purses on, so they can check their little make-up mirrors to see how they look while they're rolling around on the turf pretending to be hurt.

Laughed like hell a this. Good one. Tried to become a soccer fan. Watched the world cup. Tried to like it but just kept falling asleep. Watching a grown man writhe around on the ground like he was stabbed with a knife looking through his fingers to see if the ref was going to give him an oscar for his performance just didn't do it for me. Especially when he did get the oscar. I know there is diving in hockey but it's hard to get away with it.

40 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

The First Nations seem to playing more and more soccer and it is a massive sport for our females who have a top 5 team in the world. It is growing quite fast and all the Canadian MLS teams see huge support.  

I loved the games I went to at Empire Field and most of the experience has switched to BC Place. Especially if you're near the Southsiders :D 

The point is the soccer displayed by the Caps, and the teams in that league is a very poor level.  The only elite sport in Vancouver is the NHL.  I guess one could argue the Lacrosse team is too, but that's like saying curling is high level.  No one cares about those sports to the level of hockey.

any canuck fan living outside of the lower mainland won't change their position on the canucks.  every year the canucks fly up to  langara to do their derby, there usually overwhelmed by the overall level of support and interest . here in prince rupert they had to have a lottery draw for people wanting to see the team at the local recreation center, which in size is quite large . team support is quite secure, given how many people travel daily to vancouver ,many to take in a canucks game.

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

The point is the soccer displayed by the Caps, and the teams in that league is a very poor level.  The only elite sport in Vancouver is the NHL.  I guess one could argue the Lacrosse team is too, but that's like saying curling is high level.  No one cares about those sports to the level of hockey.

Football in Korean domestic leagues are also pretty crappy, and probably worse than MLS.  Does that mean it's not popular?  Hell no. 

And I'll say it again.  Immigrant families are not particularly interested in a white-dominated sport that costs insane amounts of money to play.

Football is almost all about the fan experience, and the group anticipation.  You just don't get that here in North American sport.  And judging by Canucks fans (who are terrible at providing crowd atmosphere), I honestly don't want Canucks fans to jump on the Caps wagon.

28 minutes ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

I take it that you weren't here in the late 70's and early 80's. 

I remember the stories of the whitecaps winning the NASL Championship cup back in 1979 and they had a massive championship parade in downtown Vancouver.  At that time it was hands down the largest sports team championship celebration in Vancouver.  Once can argue the Olympics but that was a national championship vs the cities professional sports team championship.

16 hours ago, luckylager said:

Hah! Good one!

Oh, you're serious..

And you're asking hockey fans in a hockey forum?

I think soccer players should play with purses on, so they can check their little make-up mirrors to see how they look while they're rolling around on the turf pretending to be hurt.

If my son walked in the door and said "Dad, I like soccer" I would disown" 

7 hours ago, Scottish⑦Canuck said:

54225956.jpg

And the answer to your question is billions of people across the world.

The only reason why it's the most popular sport in the world is because it's the cheapest sport to play; you just need a ball. I respect the fact that it's an affordable way for kids to get together and play. But that's exactly what it is; a children's game. We're fortunate to be able to watch/play sports here. But soccer is nothing compared to hockey in terms of every aspect of the sport.

The fact is; soccer is an outdated sport. I played it for 4 years. They don't use their hands. There is way too much diving/acting; it makes it seem like WWE. Not enough scoring, probably due to the huge field and too much running around; great for cardio though.

Let's just say, IMO, watching soccer is a sport for people who have a lot of time on their hands or are patient enough to sit through a dance recital for 90-120+ minutes. Because that's also what soccer is; a dance recital. Where everything is staged, especially the big games where all the fixing happen.

And what did you expect from a hockey fan? 

Archived