The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Do the Canucks risk losing fans to the Whitecaps?

kingleysniper

2 hours ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Football in Korean domestic leagues are also pretty crappy, and probably worse than MLS.  Does that mean it's not popular?  Hell no. 

And I'll say it again.  Immigrant families are not particularly interested in a white-dominated sport that costs insane amounts of money to play.

Football is almost all about the fan experience, and the group anticipation.  You just don't get that here in North American sport.  And judging by Canucks fans (who are terrible at providing crowd atmosphere), I honestly don't want Canucks fans to jump on the Caps wagon.

If people like cheering for a team (White Caps) who if they won their championship (whatever it's called) really don't have the right to say they are the best at soccer, then that's fine by me.  I just don't understand it.  What is their to celebrate winning?  Oh boy!  We just beat the Portland Timber.  That's like the Canucks playing some 3rd rate ECHL team.  I accept there is cheering and the atmosphere is fun, but are the people there really emotionally connected to the home team like they are to the Canucks?  I would say NO.  they go for the experience (just like you said).  There is nothing to celebrate, so if the White Caps lose, who really cares?  It's not big deal.  When the Canucks win a Cup (please let them win just one) we could celebrate that our team was the best in the world.  With the Caps there are no rights to brag about their winning, because they really didn't beat anyone any good.

People will simply go find other things to do, there is plenty to do in our busy lives. Frankly, it's pretty embarrassing watching our management group year after year trying to push the same product on us as it gets worse and worse. They just don't get it. The least they can do is tell us that we are rebuilding and lower the ticket price to where its worthwhile to travel out to Vancouver to watch a game. I'd rather stay at home and not drink an $8 half-beer and pay $20 for parking thanks.

Honestly, I just want an apology for how they treated us regular fans with their astronomical ticket prices for the last 10 years (now that their high-end corporate customers bailed on them and they need us real fans to come watch games), an apology to fans for public mistreatment of Luongo and that whole goalie controversy, and for the organization as a whole to admit how they really messed up after the cup run. 

I've been a Canuck's fan since '82 and will till the day I die. They are my #1 sports team. I'm just not going to give them any more of my money until the Aqua's clean up their act.

I do think the experience of the Caps games could pull some fans over.

If you haven't been to a WhiteCaps game yet, go stand near the Southsiders, drinks some suds and sing along. I bet you have a few smiles and maybe an all round good time.

I don`t think any sport compares to hockey but the MLS games can be a fun and kinda silly. As I mentioned the singing/chanting can be 'real good' and you don't get cut off by the latest crap EDM song played by that annoying Rogers DJ (sry jswing).

As for silly hair-do`s and tattoos. I know lots and lots of hockey players that are sleeved up and quite a few of them are rocking some daft hair do`s. We just don`t see what`s under the helmets and uniforms.

The game of soccer is corrupt in most countries and the diving is out of hand. But the athleticism is waay up there and I would not call soccer a soft sport, at least not to alot of its followers. I've been in a few pubs in Northern England, as I'm from Oldham, some soccer supporters there are the meanest and toughest lads I've ever met. I pray that the MLS never gets the hooliganism that the rest of the football world deals with.

I like to follow all our Vancouver teams and I wish our fan base would hold the powers that be accountable instead of having complete blind faith.

I used to like the Whitecaps when they played soccer games on the field in a soccer league. Now they seem to play matches on the pitch, are a football club, but playing in a soccer league. The great consistencies they have are having announcers with British accents, as well as coaches and analysts. You surely can't have a valid opinion in this sport wit a North American accent. 

Then there's the southsiders, oh the southsiders. The way they whoop it up in these instant English accents is amazing. Watch when they get on the bus, just like the supporters in blighty do and drink some footie fuel, aka Coors. Uncue bass solo!

1 hour ago, beni said:

Soccer is garbage. So no, won't lose real fans to the Whitecaps.  

Yeah well baseball and basketball are garbage, so Toronto wont - oh wait.  Yeah well Trump is garbage, so - oh wait.  Just because you say something is garbage...

5 hours ago, Alflives said:

If people like cheering for a team (White Caps) who if they won their championship (whatever it's called) really don't have the right to say they are the best at soccer, then that's fine by me.  I just don't understand it.  What is their to celebrate winning?  Oh boy!  We just beat the Portland Timber.  That's like the Canucks playing some 3rd rate ECHL team.  I accept there is cheering and the atmosphere is fun, but are the people there really emotionally connected to the home team like they are to the Canucks?  I would say NO.  they go for the experience (just like you said).  There is nothing to celebrate, so if the White Caps lose, who really cares?  It's not big deal.  When the Canucks win a Cup (please let them win just one) we could celebrate that our team was the best in the world.  With the Caps there are no rights to brag about their winning, because they really didn't beat anyone any good.

That is an entirely unfair argument.  So when people root for something other than some sort of world championship, it's somehow lesser?  Go to your local rink and tell the parents the win meant nothing.  Or your old high school and tell the kids there is nothing to celebrate.

We are fans.  There is literally nothing at stake for us.  Our role as fans is to support the team, and Canucks fans are TERRIBLE at creating good atmosphere.  What you just said insults the Utica fans who have shown us how to properly show support for the team.  And what, they've been the Comets for like three years?  Just imagine the tradition of the Southsiders, who have fervently supported the Caps from before they went pro.  So again.  What you said insults and goes against the very nature of sports.

1 hour ago, beni said:

Soccer is garbage. So no, won't lose real fans to the Whitecaps.  

I didn't like soccer too.  Hated it infact but after went to a few game, better than the Canucks any day..  I signed up for whitecaps season tickets last season and going to cancel my Canucks tickets season for next year.    I know at least 20 ppl going to cancel their Canucks tickets and half of them signed up for the whitecaps tickets.  

2 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Yeah well baseball and basketball are garbage, so Toronto wont - oh wait.  Yeah well Trump is garbage, so - oh wait.  Just because you say something is garbage...

That is an entirely unfair argument.  So when people root for something other than some sort of world championship, it's somehow lesser?  Go to your local rink and tell the parents the win meant nothing.  Or your old high school and tell the kids there is nothing to celebrate.

We are fans.  There is literally nothing at stake for us.  Our role as fans is to support the team, and Canucks fans are TERRIBLE at creating good atmosphere.  What you just said insults the Utica fans who have shown us how to properly show support for the team.  And what, they've been the Comets for like three years?  Just imagine the tradition of the Southsiders, who have fervently supported the Caps from before they went pro.  So again.  What you said insults and goes against the very nature of sports.

Thank you for supporting my point.  The lower the level of competition, the more the fan bases' connection to the team is family and friends.  In other words - THE FAN BASE NARROWS SIGNIFICANTLY.   These types of fans though accept the reality the team they cheer for is not elite from a world perspective.  This is a FACT, not an insult.  

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Thank you for supporting my point.  The lower the level of competition, the more the fan bases' connection to the team is family and friends.  In other words - THE FAN BASE NARROWS SIGNIFICANTLY.   These types of fans though accept the reality the team they cheer for is not elite from a world perspective.  This is a FACT, not an insult.  

I don't understand why supporting your local team, especially one with history, is somehow lesser.

Look at this video.  A legendary moment in Watford history and this isn't top-flight football.  Watch and hear them not give a crap what you have to say about their team.

2 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

I don't understand why supporting your local team, especially one with history, is somehow lesser.

Look at this video.  A legendary moment in Watford history and this isn't top-flight football.  Watch and hear them not give a crap what you have to say about their team.

This level os soccer is quite a bit higher than the White Caps.

Just now, Alflives said:

This level os soccer is quite a bit higher than the White Caps.

And yet you MUST accept that this is not top flight football and the team is not elite.  And when Koreans and Japanese watch their team, they know their team is not elite.  Doesn't make them any less than Germany fans or Madrid fans?

1 minute ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

And yet you MUST accept that this is not top flight football and the team is not elite.  And when Koreans and Japanese watch their team, they know their team is not elite.  Doesn't make them any less than Germany fans or Madrid fans?

I Nylander, and you win.  The White Caps' fans (of which there are multitudes) love their team beyond comprehension. 

To all of the folks using the possibility of a tie in footy as a reason to not watch; you do know that prior to the 2004-05 season lockout there were no shoot outs or overtime unless it was a playoff game right? ie. reg season games could end in a tie. So where were you stalwart Canucks fans in those days? 

I think it'll balance out in the end, where people will support both teams consistently (assuming neither team relocates, etc). It sucks to see Vancouverites bash on the Whitecaps just cause its soccer or it's not their type of sport - which is fine if it's not your cup of tea, but way to bash on a team representing your own city.

Archived