The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

German Shepherd Owners

b3.

Hi all,

Any of you BC residents have a pure-bred German Shepherd? Mine lost his battle with cancer early last year, and I'm now looking at getting another pup. Problem is that the breeder I dealt with last (Vancouver Island) is no longer in business.

I've done a Google search, and there does seem like there are quite a few breeders in the lower mainland area. But I would like to hear some reviews/recommendations for breeders that you all may have dealt with, money isn't really an issue, just the health and certifications of course.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you ::D

12 minutes ago, b3. said:

Hi all,

Any of you BC residents have a pure-bred German Shepherd? Mine lost his battle with cancer early last year, and I'm now looking at getting another pup. Problem is that the breeder I dealt with last (Vancouver Island) is no longer in business.

I've done a Google search, and there does seem like there are quite a few breeders in the lower mainland area. But I would like to hear some reviews/recommendations for breeders that you all may have dealt with, money isn't really an issue, just the health and certifications of course.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you ::D

First off sorry to hear about your pup :( Have you looked into a rescue?  The numbers of dogs looking for homes is sad, and so many are put down. The numbers are shocking.  Just a thought, we got a pommy this year ( kids and wife talked me into it lol) I grew up with a lot of dogs and havnt been keen on owning one personally.  But it was quite rewarding knowing we could provide the little guy with a nice home.  GL in your search!

25 minutes ago, b3. said:

19 minutes ago, AriGold said:

My pure bread boxer (8 months old) plays with a pure bread GS (9 months old) a few times a week and this guy is proud of the dog and the breeder.

I will ask for you next time and find out where he got her from.

That would be much appreciated. Thank you.

8 minutes ago, TheOgRook said:

First off sorry to hear about your pup :( Have you looked into a rescue?  The numbers of dogs looking for homes is sad, and so many are put down. The numbers are shocking.  Just a thought, we got a pommy this year ( kids and wife talked me into it lol) I grew up with a lot of dogs and havnt been keen on owning one personally.  But it was quite rewarding knowing we could provide the little guy with a nice home.  GL in your search!

I did visit my local SPCA, it definitely pulled on some heart strings, but I'm just so loyal to the GSD breed.

30 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

I am a on-fifth german shepherd owner

(full on mutt owner)

Does that count? ::D 

Sorry you lost your dog, b3 :(

Went through it a few years ago with my pure bred Golden Retriever 

Wow, that is crazy! He was my first GSD, my Dad has had 3 of them. Yeah, it really sucked, you get so attached to those darn animals. He had large tumors in his spleen and lungs, so the vet and I decided to put him down. It didn't seem fair to put him through all that pain from 2-3 surgeries. He was to rambunctious and free spirited to be stuck to a bed for 12-16 months.

20 minutes ago, Yotes said:

http://www.bullingershepherds.com/washington-vancouver-breeder-contact.html

http://www.snowycreekshepherds.com/index.asp?ID=14

How are they as family pets, what are their major flaws or draw backs? I want to get one in a couple years myself and found these places

Mine came off very aggressive if he didn't know you, but he was awesome with kids and other members of the family. I could always go to sleep without worry, that darn dog prevented so much theft from my property.

Flaws would be that the breed is susceptible to degenerative hip condition.

7 minutes ago, b3. said:

That would be much appreciated. Thank you.

I did visit my local SPCA, it definitely pulled on some heart strings, but I'm just so loyal to the GSD breed.

We found ours through Facebook.  There are a bunch of rescue agencies on Facebook, my wife said that most of them are for big dogs, ours is one of the only ones dealing with small dogs.. Might be worth searching Facebook to see if we have one local. Do an amazing thing and you'll prolly save a bunch too :) I don't blame you for loving your GSs they are an amazing breed! 

9 minutes ago, inane said:

I have a GS mixed with greyhound. Rescue dog. He's awesome, super fast but looks like a GS. None of the hip issues either.

interesting combo, never heard of that one before. How old is he? Hip issues start when usually on a GS?

33 minutes ago, Yotes said:

interesting combo, never heard of that one before. How old is he? Hip issues start when usually on a GS?

He's about 12. Gets tired a lot faster than he used to, but if he sees a squirrel--he moves. Hip issues I think can pop up anytime after around 5-7 years? I don't really know..people kept telling me about it but it's never happened. I think it's more common in purebreds. 

12 minutes ago, inane said:

He's about 12. Gets tired a lot faster than he used to, but if he sees a squirrel--he moves. Hip issues I think can pop up anytime after around 5-7 years? I don't really know..people kept telling me about it but it's never happened. I think it's more common in purebreds. 

ya i guess there are probably a lot of different shepherd cross breeds out their to try and nullify the hip concerns. Yours seems to be one that is proven to be good

I don't know much about the GS breed, or breeders specifically, but I got my UKC apbt from a breeder in Nevada. The importing process was extremely easy (had her shipped via air), and it was actually cheaper for a better quality dog. Even with the dollar the way it is, I imagine you could still probably save money. It's amazing what some breeders think their dogs are worth.

2 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

I always say rescue dogs actually rescue the humans. :) 

Our current dog isn't technically a rescue dog but she might as well be with five breeds in her. :lol: 

My wife is the rescuer. I'm the financial supporter.B)

i grumbled over the acquisition of  each dog but they won me over.

i think animal rescue is a great outlet for those who want to be a help in the world but may have limited resources.

choosing the right breed is crucial.  A lot of the available rescue dogs are from breeders that people thought they could handle.  One of our huskies as an example.  

No disrespect to bred pet owners but this is a big reality.

that being said there are some amazing looking mutts from remote towns too.

Archived