The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jagr - The Ageless Wonder - One of the Greatest of All-Time

HKSR

Eh, throwing out top 5-10s is kind of lame and subjective and depends on so many factors. Different stats for different eras and rules. It's remarkable he might reach 2nd overall pts, though, that's for sure.

I just love seeing this guy who was a star when I was a kid still rocking, over 50 pts, on pace for potentially 30 goals at 44 years old. It really is amazing. He picks teams where he's put on lines with much younger, potential star players, but really, he gets those spots on teams for a reason. Great influence, you can see he loves being out there every moment, his preparation is awesome. His protection of the puck is still amazing and he still has amazing vision and hands, despite slower skating speed at his age.

When younger guys supplement his lack of speed he can still create at a fairly high level and it's super fun to see.

Jagr's stats are definitely padded because of how many games he's played, but what a treat it is watching this guy. Him and Teemu Selanne never seemed to age. What a legend. He's a lot more deserving to be in the Top 3 in scoring then Messier is. (Whose stats are also padded by how many games he played.)

20 hours ago, Mr.DirtyDangles said:

He has transcended three eras of the game. He has helped shape it into what we have today, he is top 5 and will most likely end top 3.

4evnZ.gif

He'll definitely end top 3 IMO. Him, Gretzky and Orr. He beats out Lemieux for me based on his longevity though I'd say Lemieux was more talented.

We're fortunate to see him still playing at such a high level, he's truly something else.

9 hours ago, HC20.0 said:

Jagr's stats are definitely padded because of how many games he's played, but what a treat it is watching this guy. Him and Teemu Selanne never seemed to age. What a legend. He's a lot more deserving to be in the Top 3 in scoring then Messier is. (Whose stats are also padded by how many games he played.)

That makes no sense.

He has played less games than Messier who is ahead of him and Howe who is below him on the current all time list. 

Lets also not forget the 3 years he spent in the KHL, if not for that he easily be over 2000 points right now. 

On 3/11/2016 at 9:33 AM, greatsaveEssensa said:

Wonder what is stats would be if he didn't go to the KHL for those 3 seasons

He'd be the only other player besides 99 to have over 2000 points and would likely be chasing or even passed  Gretzky's goal total.

• 1 month later...

Good on Jammy Jags..becomes the 5th dude in history to hit 200 PO pts(albeit with about 17 teams!). In 206 games..not too shabby.

He's 14 pts back of Glenn Anderson..probably unlikely to catch 4th, all-time.

Bloody 80's Coilers had the top 5 spots nailed down, for what seemed eternity.(25 yrs?)

Gretz

Baldy

Kurri

Anderson

JJ

Coffey

Congrats to Jagr!  I was at the 1990 draft and I thought the Nucks should have picked him instead of Nedved.  At that time, there was a concern about drafting players from Europe, so it would explain why he went at the fifth spot.  I wouldn't mind seeing Vancouver host another entry draft. B)

On March 3, 2016 at 10:18 AM, Tre Mac said:

Petr Nedved:picard:

Not a bad pick I guess but dizzam.

I always thought Mario could take over a game like no one else.

1. Lemieux

2. Orr

3. Gretzky

To be fair 5 other teams passed on Jagr as they weren't sure how long it would take or if he would be able to come to the NHL. 

On 3/10/2016 at 9:33 AM, greatsaveEssensa said:

Wonder what is stats would be if he didn't go to the KHL for those 3 seasons

Jagr's own words were something to the effect of:

I was mentally too tired to keep playing in the NHL. I needed to go to Russia to rejuvenate otherwise I would have retired a long time ago.

Take it for what it's worth. It's from an older (I think post game) interview that I can't find, but might keep looking for. What would his stats be? Perhaps much much less since he may not be playing. Who knows?

edit:  I  hate that I found this interview on NHL.com because that website sucks. It isn't the version I heard, but it's from the same timeline I heard him say it, and he mentions his needing a break by going overseas.

Did going to Russia, playing there for three seasons, and then coming back to the NHL give you a better or different appreciation of what you have here in the NHL?

"That's one thing, but I think the cycle -- I wouldn't say the pressure because I don't mind it -- but the cycle of doing the same thing for 17 or 18 years like just play, play, play, play, then take one month off, play again, and every game you need to produce, sometimes you need a change. That's what I needed mentally. I couldn't have it here.

There are 20 players and when you play everyone expects you to do it, and I expect myself to do it. And physically it helped me for sure, because I was skating on the big ice again and it's a lot tougher. The practices in Russia, you get no days off. The training and summer training in Russia, you practice eight hours a day. You're there, so you have to do it. I don't mind it.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/m_news.htm?id=713301

4 minutes ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

He's definitely on the slower side now but man is he still effective below the dots. He treats many NHL d men like peewee kids.

Agreed, I can't believe how strong he still is.  I'd be surprised if he doesn't still have 2-3 more seasons in him. 

Just now, HKSR said:

Agreed, I can't believe how strong he still is.  I'd be surprised if he doesn't still have 2-3 more seasons in him. 

There was an article in either sports illustrated or sportsnet magazine when he was with the Devils about his day to day preparation and it was insane. At 40-something years of age he was still running weighted sleds. Either Henrique or Larsson said something along the lines of "I thought I knew what training was until I met him."

another article in sportsnet in the fall talked about his background. At age 7 he was running like ten miles a day and pounding out hundreds of squats, push-ups, etc...and he did it every day. It's no wonder he is the way he is.

2 hours ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

There was an article in either sports illustrated or sportsnet magazine when he was with the Devils about his day to day preparation and it was insane. At 40-something years of age he was still running weighted sleds. Either Henrique or Larsson said something along the lines of "I thought I knew what training was until I met him."

another article in sportsnet in the fall talked about his background. At age 7 he was running like ten miles a day and pounding out hundreds of squats, push-ups, etc...and he did it every day. It's no wonder he is the way he is.

Pounding 19 year old czech models?

Archived