The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Predictions: Who stays?

RetroCanuck

20 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Players under contract

D.Sedin, H.Sedin, Sutter, Burrows, Hansen, Dorsett, Horvat, McCann, Virtanen, Gaunce, Edler, Tanev, Sbisa, Hutton, Biega, Miller, Markstrom....Higgins

RFA's (and will require to pass through waivers to be sent to AHL)

Baertschi, Granlund, Vey, Etem, Pedan, Grenier, Kenins,

Extra's

Tryamkin, Rodin, Larsen

That's 28 players, excluding any extra UFA signings (lucic) or resigning any of our own UFA's (Hamhuis), and somehow we have to start next season with 23.  Which 5 will go?

Burrows- bought out or traded

Higgins- bought out or traded

Possibly Hansen and Edler traded

McCann, Kenins, Vey- trade bait or Utica

Any of the other young players that don't perform in training camp will be left in Utica

I don't get the talk about McCann. He's a potential first line center whose trade value is as low as ever. If there's a prospect I wouldn't trade, it's him for this reason.

He's in a little bit of a slump right now, that's all it is. He and Virtanen could very easily be reversed, with him playing well and Virtanen in a slump. In fact, their stats are fairly similar the year.

I guess this is part of being in a passionate fan base, when some is playing badly recently they're just not good and deserve to be traded/sent down. We should've already learnt from Miller's play this year; even after one bad performance in the playoffs in game 6, doesn't mean that he's 'washed up,' and 'useless.'

1 hour ago, Grape said:

I don't get the talk about McCann. He's a potential first line center whose trade value is as low as ever. If there's a prospect I wouldn't trade, it's him for this reason.

He's in a little bit of a slump right now, that's all it is. He and Virtanen could very easily be reversed, with him playing well and Virtanen in a slump. In fact, their stats are fairly similar the year.

I guess this is part of being in a passionate fan base, when some is playing badly recently they're just not good and deserve to be traded/sent down. We should've already learnt from Miller's play this year; even after one bad performance in the playoffs in game 6, doesn't mean that he's 'washed up,' and 'useless.'

Im for trading McCann because he is to small for a centre to play in this league. I would be fine if he was a winger but he gets outmuscled all the time at centre. Plus we have somewhat of a log jam at centre with Sedin, Sutter, Horvat, Granlund, Zalewski and Gaunce. I hope the Canucks either convert him to a winger(that can play centre if needed) or trade him for a good return.

10 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

Im for trading McCann because he is to small for a centre to play in this league. I would be fine if he was a winger but he gets outmuscled all the time at centre. Plus we have somewhat of a log jam at centre with Sedin, Sutter, Horvat, Granlund, Zalewski and Gaunce. I hope the Canucks either convert him to a winger(that can play centre if needed) or trade him for a good return.

McCann is 6'0...Are you at least going to give him a chance to grow?....Trading away something you don't even know that you have ,is a grave mistake...He's got great wheels,good shot and good hockey sense.(plus a bit of an edge)...Take a look at pics of Cam Neely in his rookie year as a Canuck,looks nothing like the monster he became...Not that McCann is going to be Neely,but he has all the tools to be successful in the NHL ,he just needs to get stronger.

That logjam at centre could be an illusion by this time next year..Henrik is probably done for this year,and you wonder how much more battering that body can take.. (he's been in pain almost all season...At one point this season,he couldn't even sit down on the bench during the game).

The jury is still out on Granlund (he was anonymous the last game),he has to take his game up another level..IMO...Gaunce and Zelewski are still on the bubble of AHL/NHL...

34 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

Watching San Jose's Big Joe the other night, it was remarkable to see what a big centre can do.  Not sure if this means McCann can't do it, but it does suggest that McCann will have different limits and will have to make up for the size issue.  He is quick, which helps a lot.

11 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

McCann is 6'0...Are you at least going to give him a chance to grow?....Trading away something you don't even know that you have ,is a grave mistake...He's got great wheels,good shot and good hockey sense.(plus a bit of an edge)...Take a look at pics of Cam Neely in his rookie year as a Canuck,looks nothing like the monster he became...Not that McCann is going to be Neely,but he has all the tools to be successful in the NHL ,he just needs to get stronger.

That logjam at centre could be an illusion by this time next year..Henrik is probably done for this year,and you wonder how much more battering that body can take.. (he's been in pain almost all season...At one point this season,he couldn't even sit down on the bench during the game).

The jury is still out on Granlund (he was anonymous the last game),he has to take his game up another level..IMO...Gaunce and Zelewski are still on the bubble of AHL/NHL...

You make a good point in the fact that McCann may be able to grow into that centre position. But thats going to take a lot more time then the Canucks want to put into him considering they want to be a playoff team. I don't agree with it but that seems to be how they want to run this team and McCann should be able to get the Canucks another player like him... maybe even Drouin. I agree that Henrik needs a good break but I think next year he may be better... if he rests the rest of this year. Granlund has a good defensive style to his game, I see him being on a shut down type line in the future.. still hoping he can provide some more offence though then he has shown recently. I agree with you on Zalewski but think that Gaunce has the desire and skill to make the canucks team for the foreseeable future.

7 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

Patrice Bergeron is 6-1- 195. Is he also too small to play center in the NHL?   I'm pretty sure there's a lot of other good centers who are around 6' and under 200 pounds.  Size isn't everything.

On 5 March 2016 at 6:48 PM, kingofsurrey said:

Hamhuis signs for a hometown discount . 2 yr contract.

Edler waives his NTC

Burrows - contract is bought out.

Hansen - traded for  a young D man

Miller - traded at the deadline to a cup contender with goalie issues....

Can we buy out Burrows?  I thought we already used up our buy outs. 

2 hours ago, HarryCanuck said:

Can we buy out Burrows?  I thought we already used up our buy outs. 

There are no limits on regular buyouts.

There was a limit on compliance buyouts (that don't count against the cap) but that window has closed.

As for salary retention in a trade - it's 3 and the Canucks are using one on Luongo.

If both Higgins and Burrows get bought out - that's 4.133M less in cap space for next year and 1.633M the following year.

Luongo 800K

Higgins 833K in both 2016/17 and 2017/18

Burrows 2.5M in 2016/17 and 1M in 2017/18

Archived