The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning TSN 1040 (March 9)

Gstank29

Are you excited for Trymakin  

263 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

19 hours ago, CanadianRugby said:

Not arguing that.  But don't call Benning a draft wizard and put up McCann and Virtanen as examples of great drafting when he missed out on Larkin and those guys can't crack the top 20 in rookie scoring. 

Come on McCann is playing 12 mins a game with 4th line players?????????? 

Virtanen has just started to play with some good players..

Larkin Is playing with better players??? Lets have this discussion in 3 yrs, Canucks are developing McCann and Virtanen into the line up and not putting the young players under any pressure ..

18 hours ago, khay said:

Whoa. Seriously? I'm glad the lottery system is modified starting this season. We might just get one of those three if we are a bit lucky even if we don't finish in bottom 3 (which doesn't seem likely to happen).

Can't remember who it was, was a report on one of the media. Basically all three of these guys project as talents that could be considered generational. 

We REALLY need one of those picks lol....

17 hours ago, Alflives said:

Your opinion is yours, and I accept that it's unique.  It's special really, very special.  

1 goal in 33 games is special, very special.

Make no mistake, I like McCann, but that does not change that I think he is being rushed.

Why doesn't every team start all their 19 year olds?

Oh ya, because its called the Oiler model.

Riddle me this, how many goals has McCann scored since he missed the WJC?

10 minutes ago, lmm said:

1 goal in 33 games is special, very special.

Make no mistake, I like McCann, but that does not change that I think he is being rushed.

Why doesn't every team start all their 19 year olds?

Oh ya, because its called the Oiler model.

Riddle me this, how many goals has McCann scored since he missed the WJC?

I like McCann too, and I think he will be in Utica next season.  

1 minute ago, lmm said:

do you think this year in the NHL has helped or hindered McCann? 

He has been around professionals for a year learning what it takes to be at the top of your game. It has absolutely helped him.

There isn't a chance in hell he starts the year in Utica.

21 minutes ago, TheCammer said:

He has been around professionals for a year learning what it takes to be at the top of your game. It has absolutely helped him.

It'll be a tough call with the kid next year for sure.  We'll have Hank, Sutter and Bo down the middle leaving the 4th line C open (maybe Granlund). If he could spend the year in Utica playing under TG on the top line, it may end up being more beneficial than 4th line C in the majors.

We could try a conversion to the wing with McC, however, it's possible Benning may try to push for a top 6 guy with the cap space opening up pushing others down the ranks.

2 minutes ago, nom_de_plume said:

It'll be a tough call with the kid next year for sure.  We'll have Hank, Sutter and Bo down the middle leaving the 4th line C open (maybe Granlund). If he could spend the year in Utica playing under TG on the top line, it may end up being more beneficial than 4th line C in the majors.

We could try a conversion to the wing with McC, however, it's possible Benning may try to push for a top 6 guy with the cap space opening up pushing others down the ranks.

I suppose it could happen but it feels like it would be a serious step back for McCann. In my opinion it would be a real black eye for the organization on keeping him up this year. Then I might join the ranks of those shouting "Asset mismanagement".

On 3/9/2016 at 0:04 PM, Tre Mac said:

Hope Thatchy D turns pro.  I've begun my rain dance to ensure the Canucks land a top 3 pick.

We can't use him on the club unless we move Miller (almost gonna be impossible). Give him another year then he can turn pro.

Demko in 2 years is just about right.

Just now, TheCammer said:

I suppose it could happen but it feels like it would be a serious step back for McCann. In my opinion it would be a real black eye for the organization on keeping him up this year. Then I might join the ranks of those shouting "Asset mismanagement".

To each their own I suppose.  I don't know that it would be that big of a step backwards.  He would be playing more minutes and given ample opportunity on the PP and PK.  And, depending on where he's at in his arc of development, would be one of the first call ups in case of injury.  There would be a very definite plan for his development and TG has done great things with our other youngins.

About McCann's projection next season, I would prefer McCann develop in AHL as a first-line center, playing high minutes, rather than 4th line playing 10-12 minutes a game with grinders in his second season as a Pro.   I think McCann on NHL team as a 19-year old as a 4th liner is a good idea because he used to conditioning, and strengthen his body and with Utica, he can have freedom playing as a first-line center and first PP unit to refine his game further is no slight to his skill-set.   McCann gains nothing playing in Junior so he has gained a lot playing in NHL as 19-year old and will be the first injury call-up.   Unless he bulks up quickly in the summer, he will start in the AHL so that he will have time to strengthen his core especially with AHL quirky schedule, playing mostly weekends.  Because of the quirky schedule, he can focus on training a couple of time during the week.  He can't do that in the NHL with 3-4 games in a week.

1 hour ago, TheCammer said:

disagree, I love McCann, but I'd give it 80% certainty he is in Utica to start next year.  

Sedin

Sutter

Horvat

Granlund

Gaunce

where does he fit?  

50 minutes ago, jmahyoung said:

We can't use him on the club unless we move Miller (almost gonna be impossible). Give him another year then he can turn pro.

Demko in 2 years is just about right.

if his name isn't on a Canucks contract by this time next year, they've lost him

On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 0:14 PM, Canuck Surfer said:

Some of the most encouraging things I've heard from Benning.

> NEED dominant defenseman

> Still considering sending some of our rookies for junior play off run / ensure best development experience.

> Chychrun

> See point one?

Benning prior to this point has been far to nondescript regarding our D. Nice to hear the wheel may finally be grinding...

The 2017 draft will be the year of the dman, other than that it is not looking real pretty, the 2018 year is already looking better.

Dmen draft position;

Burns - 20th
Karlsson - 15th
Klingberg - 131st
Letang - 62nd
PK Subban - 43rd
Ekman-Larsson - 6th
Josi - 38th
Barrie - 64th
Suter - 7th
Doughty - 2nd
Giordano - undrafted
Byfuglien - 245th
Keith - 54th
Seabrook - 14th
S. Weber - 49th

Don't draft a dman in the first round, of the top 15 this season only 6 are first round, only one is a top 5 pick.

Compare that to top forwards

Only five of 20 are not 1 rst rounders most before 10

Fedun, Tryamkin, Edler, Tanev, Hutton, Biega, Subban, Bartowski, Pedan, Hamhuis, Larsen, Briseboi, Olson, Neill not counting Centerholm, Saunter or Mceneny, Weber....

More than half of this list isn't even in the pro's yet or just there.

If the idea is to waste the pick then do it next year, top line forwards are just too rare.

Besides, what about Dubois?

IMO McCann will be in Utica next season. He's 19 and needs to bulk up. This season he was given a chance to play a lot and the experience he's received will help him greatly when he returns to the team. He still makes A LOT of rookie mistakes, but he is trying hard. One day he'll be a very good NHL player.

2 hours ago, TheCammer said:

Except it might be better for "Asset management" if McCann is out played during the preseason as he can go down to Utica without waivers whereas a waiver eligible players is put at risk like Corrado was.

4 minutes ago, Dancin'Droid said:

Except it might be better for "Asset management" if McCann is out played during the preseason as he can go down to Utica without waivers whereas a waiver eligible players is put at risk like Corrado was.

IMHAO McCann is Utica bound no matter how he plays next fall.

ps.  Love your Dancing Droid.  Very cool indeed.:lol:. He's right up there with the exercising bread slice.

34 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

The 2017 draft will be the year of the dman, other than that it is not looking real pretty, the 2018 year is already looking better.

Dmen draft position;

Burns - 20th
Karlsson - 15th
Klingberg - 131st
Letang - 62nd
PK Subban - 43rd
Ekman-Larsson - 6th
Josi - 38th
Barrie - 64th
Suter - 7th
Doughty - 2nd
Giordano - undrafted
Byfuglien - 245th
Keith - 54th
Seabrook - 14th
S. Weber - 49th

Don't draft a dman in the first round, of the top 15 this season only 6 are first round, only one is a top 5 pick.

Compare that to top forwards

Only five of 20 are not 1 rst rounders most before 10

Fedun, Tryamkin, Edler, Tanev, Hutton, Biega, Subban, Bartowski, Pedan, Hamhuis, Larsen, Briseboi, Olson, Neill not counting Centerholm, Saunter or Mceneny, Weber....

More than half of this list isn't even in the pro's yet or just there.

If the idea is to waste the pick then do it next year, top line forwards are just too rare.

Besides, what about Dubois?

We have been hearing that crap for 10 plus years now as we make excuses for ignoring an important position. Last years best rookie and who will be the most impactful player in his draft year, feasting, beasting, beating in front of the net & bombing shots from the point? Aaron Ekblad! 

When a guy already has NHL speed, size, agility, strength, puck skills and acumen >>> draft them where they fall. Regardless of position. This years draft is reputed to have 3 guys that have elite or generational potential. And in the words of our GM 14 or 15 that look like you could pencil them into a Top 6 / Top 4 position in a Cpl years time. This year that includes Chychrun, Juolevi, Sergachev and possibly Bean in the top 15.  IF BPA on the board is D, GRAB THEM!

From your own examples Ekman Larsen, Doughty, Burns, Karlsson, you ignored Ekblad, Suter, and Seabrook were all first rounders. Some of the most physically gifted blue liners of the last decade. But, no worries, wait right there!!!

We can pick Norris winner in the 3rd round. You personally guarantee it!  Because Chara who could not walk and chew bubble gum when he was drafted, and Weber who had less than 10 goals in junior when drafted became elite D? Because Subban put on 4 inches and 30 lbs of muscle after being drafted. Yeah, so lets skip Doughty, or Seabrook and Karlsson who will all be hall of famers. Because you have some genius pull it out of your butt theory!

Among the other quality players you listed, guys had development questions. As do most past about pick 11. But guys like Karlsson & Keith, Barrie & Letang among the top 10 best skaters in the league?  Out & out they should have been drafted earlier.  They were only on the board because some people are just not that smart.

And look where this strategy has led? We picked Shinkaruk and his pipsqueak shoulders and questionable NHL speed (not fast enough to outside on AHL D according to Travis Green) instead of Theodore, or Bowey. Each of whom CDC would trade the first overall pick for, 5 days out of 7. We picked Mallet who had no discernable NHL skills instead of Severson, Pelech, Gotisbehere & Parayko. Aprox 15% of NHL second rounders have impactful NHL careers. Less than 10% in the third round. The fact some GM pulls an all star out of there ass every year in the 3rd round does not make it a reliable strategy for building your team.

Or that some of those 3rd round picks should have been available there in the first place?

And Dubois? What about him. He's a very, very good prospect. 6'3", NHL size, putting up big numbers, good work rate, decent skills. Among those categorized to probably be a cant miss top 6 forward. If you are categorizing him in the "waste a pick" because he will be a top line forward too rare to miss...  Be prepared to know he has to develop, a LOT actually, to be an NHL top line impact player.  Key point according to draft profiles I have read > "not the most electrifying skater," and "plays within his limits" among other more positive attributes he does have. Could he develop? Sure. You are getting fooled by the 100 plus points he is putting up in the very porous Q. So I'm not passing up Chychrun, who has 10 solid lbs of muscle on Dubois, can skate like the wind & has all the discernable skills you could ever observe in a D man to predict he could be a great player.

Archived